founder
Posted by KELLY BABCOCK (+185) 15 years ago
My father, Lyle Babcock, spent 16 years forming the young minds of Miles City. Teaching music to grade school, and middle school students, along with his true love of teaching mathmatics. During one class he was trying to explain that there are things in this world that simply can not be measured; like love. The next day, sitting on his desk was a quart jar labeled LOVE.
It is in that vein that I hope those of you that remember him, and were taught by him, will think of him, for dad left this world last Sunday. There will be a viewing, Sunday, in Missoula, and the funeral will be Monday.
Mom has mentioned an obituary for the Star, but I'm not sure it will get done, and I promised many of the freinds I have made, on MC.com that I would let them know.
Rest in peace, dad. You will be missed.
Posted by Salli (Scanlan) Starkey (+235) 15 years ago
I did not know your dad, but I lost mine in Sept of 2003, so from the bottom of my heart, I send my prayers for you and your family. It's very very hard.
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 15 years ago
My deepest sympathies. What years did he teach?
founder
Thank you, both for your nice words, I should have mentioned the years, Kacey. Dad taught and was the assistant superindentant of schools at Washinton, from 1952 until 1967. He really loved teaching. He was in front of a class when he had his first heart attack, but waited until after school had let out before he said anything to anybody, because he didn't want the kids to see him in that kind of shape. He was afraid that it would scare them.
Posted by Jay (+281) 15 years ago
Kelly
Sorry for your lose. Your father taught me in band at Washington Jr. High in the mid fifties. Also remember that he did some sub teaching math when Ms. Wiler was gone. I remember when he laied the feared apple board with the holes drilled in it, across my backside at the request of the infamous english teacher of the time. He was a good teacher and as I remember he was well liked by all.
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1284) 15 years ago
Kelly,

I do not remember your father although I should as we played together and I spent time at your place. I am sure he also taught me in Lincoln grade school, I was never too musically inclined (couldn't carry a tune in a bucket).

I am sorry for your loss, it is something that I have been spared so far, Dad will be 84 on flag day and Mom just turned 75.

Again my condolences to you and your family.

The fat kid up the hill,
Chuck
Posted by Tom Clarke (+37) 15 years ago
Let me also express my condolences to you and your family for the passing of your father, Kelly.
Lyle started me on the trombone when I was in 5th grade, and I was part of his Junior High band in the 50's, ultimately moving on to Ralph Hartse's CCHS band.
Your Dad was, to my recollection, also the Principal of Washington during my Junior High years. He was a wonderful band director with just the right balance of perfection and humor to make me excel but not rebel.

Tom Clarke
supporter
Posted by Dona Stebbins (+819) 15 years ago
Kelly, I remember your father well. He was a fine man and an inspirational teacher. He will be missed.
Posted by Tim (+8) 15 years ago
Kelly
My name is Tim Virag and I currently teach band and choir at Washington Middle School. I'm from Miles City but I was to young to have your father for a music instructor. Hale Swanson was my instructor and he followed your father. Hale retired in 1999 and I was hired. Just so you would know, the summer band program that your father started in the mid 50's still continues today.

Tim
Posted by Shelley Mees (+11) 15 years ago
Kelly
Please accept my deepest condolances for your Dad. He was one of the greatest teachers I ever had. I loved his sense of humor, his classic method of teaching, but most of all how he connected to his students. I was fortunate enough to have him for Jr High band and 8th grade math. I also remember him on the Lincoln Grade school grounds supervising students during lunch and recess. He always had a kind word. I loved how he could quiet the band class by just looking at us. He really was a legend. This world will miss him.

Shelley Mees
founder
I have attempted to write each and every one of you, personally, to thank you for the kind words and thoughts, but for some reason my server has a problem conecting with the mail boxes, and I wanted to let you know how very much I appreciated hearing from all of you. I was surprised at the number of cards and flowers that arrived at the sevices from people in the Miles City area.

Miles City was such a large part of my life, that I have to stop and realize that two generations have passed since we left. It was wonderful to see how many lives dad touched, even considering the years that have passed.

Thank you, for remembering.

Sincerely,
Nathan Kelly Babcock
Posted by Tracy Axelberg (+9) 15 years ago
Nathan-
I have fond memories of your wonderful Dad. As a young boy attending Lincoln school with you, I remember being the beneficiary of Mr. Babcock taking you, me and Doug Ross (? - not sure about the third one) to the Washington gym to play basketball after hours. Needless to say, we felt very special and even though none of our families had any money, he always brought along candy or a soda for each of us. I have thought back on those fun evenings many times; I wish I had not lost touch with him and will miss him, too.
Tracy Axelberg