Community Garden
Posted by May (+23) 10 years ago
Was just at the garden by HRH. Does anyone know when the water will be turned on? Supposed to get really warm next week and we are hauling water to the site. Thanks
Posted by Mandyrosy (+190) 10 years ago
May,

We were told by the TY ditch secretary that the water would be on by Friday (two days ago). We haven't seen it yet, but it should be on very soon. In the meantime, we have been very lucky with rain. More rain last night, and the clay soil really holds on to moisture. You could also mulch (with the clippings pile next to the garden) to help your soil stay moist in the heat. I know it is supposed to get hot, so we are hoping for water soon. Sorry I don't have a better answer - we will call again if we don't see water by tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience!

Amanda Breitbach Ragsdale
Miles City Community Garden
Posted by May (+23) 10 years ago
thanks for the answer, will check tomorrow at the garden as we did get the rain last night.
Good news - the irrigation ditch is running!
Holy Rosary is cleaning out their pipes, and we should have water in the garden some time tomorrow (Thursday, June 30).
Just in time for the hot weather!

Also, our fence is nearly finished. Gardeners put in two weekend work days (thanks to everyone who helped!), and J&J Enterprises should finish up the last bit tomorrow.

We're still working on getting a shed and some communal equipment, but it's all coming.

Thank you, everyone, for your patience!

supporter
Posted by Dixie Rieger (+327) 10 years ago
I have a lot of hoses you could have.Need to come with pickup and haul all away. 234-7931
Wonderful! Thank you, Dixie. I will call you today to see about picking those up.

Also, the water is 100% up and running! Big thanks to Jake Klamm, Rob Pederson and Scott Smith for their help.
The system is very simple, but I will demonstrate it for anyone who would like to see how tonight (Friday) at 5:30.

Posted by Stan Wheeler (+1195) 10 years ago
We were just out there, and the irrigation pipe near out plot has split. I shut the water off at the pump house. Anyone with plots near there do not have to worry about watering for a while! Our plots are the ones with the pinwheels.

Liz Wheeler
234-7059
Posted by Pat Breitbach (+127) 10 years ago
I love a community effort like this...let me know when the sweet corn needs picking.
Posted by Stan Wheeler (+1195) 10 years ago
Stan fixed the pipe today. Our taters & onions look great. Great to see things growing!
Wonderful!! Thank you for fixing the leak, Stan. We really appreciate it.

Please, everyone, turn the main valve (by the pump house) off after you finish watering. That way we can minimize any dripping or leaks making a mess for others.

Also, we have some communal hoses there now for gardeners' use (thank you, Dixie!). If you have a personal hose, you can take it home or mark it with your name so it doesn't get mixed in with the garden tools.

Happy gardening, everyone!

Amanda
Finishing the Fence + Weeding Weekend, July 23-24

The garden is looking great! Thanks to all who helped put in the irrigation system, the fence and the gravel parking lot. The water tank leak is fixed and everything seems to be working very well!

All that remains on the fence are two equipment gates and two people gates. Ryan Ragsdale and I were planning to work on those this weekend, and we would welcome any assistance - especially from those with fencing or building experience. We have the materials and a plan for the equipment gates, but anyone with building experience who might want to volunteer to build a people gate would be well appreciated. (Please e-mail me or call 939-2361 if interested) At the very least, we'd like to get something rough in place so the deer can't get in.
Ryan and I will be out there Sunday afternoon working on the equipment gates, starting at 1 p.m. Fortunately, the forecast is for cooler weather! Anyone available to join us is very welcome.

If Sunday doesn't work with your schedule, we would also welcome community area weeders at any time. You may have noticed that the empty plots are starting to get very weedy and tall. If you own or can beg/borrow/steal a weedeater and would be willing to put in some time, please do!

We are working with HRH on getting the sign installed and planning our open house, and the Extension Office and our local Master Gardeners are looking into offering a few educational classes before the season is over. Let Christina at Extension know if you have a special interest.

Thanks again for all your hard work, and happy gardening!!