Posted by Danny T (+53) 16 years ago
I thought it would be interesting to see a list of everyone's favorite guitar players of all time.
Posted by Slosh (+703) 16 years ago
There are the obvious choices, Pete Townsend, Jimi Hendrix, Santana, Richie Sambora and Tom Morello. But I'm going to throw one out there that you wouldn't think of off the top of your head. Mike McCready from Pearl Jam. Just listen to some of the old stuff, and the new album, and you can't help but think that he's an amazing guitar player.
Posted by deer_slayer (+488) 16 years ago
Richie Sambora...maybe for banging chicks, but not for playing licks.

The slayer's Top Ten all Time:
1. Edward Van Halen
2. Willie Nelson
3. Albert Collins
4. Albert King
5. Stevie Ray Vaugan
6. Jimmy Page
7. Jimi Hendrix
8. Keith Richards
9. Waylon Jennings
10. Joe Strummer
I was hoping to get across sarcasm, I don't know if it worked or not.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10255) 16 years ago
Junior Brown is pretty good.

http://www.musicaustin.co...brown.html
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5096) 16 years ago
I'll slightly modify the Deer Slayer Guy's list - this is my top ten, in no particular order:

1. Buddy Guy
2. Albert Collins
3. Albert King
4. Stevie Ray Vaughan
5. Jimmy Page
6. Jimi Hendrix
7. Kenny Wayne Shepard
8. Eddie Van Halen
9. B.B. King
10. Robert Johnson
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15369) 16 years ago
1. Chet Atkins

2. Estaban

3. Carlos Santana

4. Me (I am a legend in my own mind )

5. Lyle Strobel

and if Willie Nelson would just shut up an play he does some interesting things on the ol' gut-bucket.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (edited 5/15/2006).]
Posted by Heath H (+642) 16 years ago
1. Hendrix
2. Jimmy Page
3. Randy Rhodes
4. SRV
5. Leadbelly
Posted by MCGirl (+300) 16 years ago
Robert Johnson--is that his name???? The dude who sold his soul at the crossroads so he could play the blues...

[This message has been edited by MCGirl (edited 5/15/2006).]
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1598) 16 years ago
Clapton and Hendrix are high on my list but I would have to say that Mark Knopler of Dire Straights has a cool style that I love. Although, I am not a huge DS fan. The edge from U2 and Clarence Brown from the Brown Beaver Band are all awesome.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2165) 16 years ago
My pick would be "Eric Clapton"
Posted by remus (+67) 16 years ago
Joe Whalen, hands-down.
Posted by Craig Bolton (+33) 16 years ago
The greatest guitar players of all time are the ones that stand up in front of you every week in your own hometown and entertain you because they hope to bring joy to the community. Rick Strohmyer, Tucker Bolton, Joe Whalen, Shea Stewart, Phil Smith, Kira Niece, Cal, etc. etc. (sorry if I left you out). These folks don't perform for money or fame and none of them are getting rich, they just show up because you do. They are all there because you are. How many of those "great guitar players" would do that just for you? Embrace your local culture and support your local musicians.
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4453) 16 years ago
The answer is Angus.
Posted by Matt Schmitz (+93) 16 years ago
Wow! Unexpected, but a good call Rick. No one ever gives Angus any credit. I could listen to Robert Cray stretch string all day long too. The other lists were good too. But I saw Van Halen in Bozeman in late 04, and somebody should have told Eddie Van Halen that he actually died a few years ago. If you turned your back, it was great guitar work, but very nearly impossible to watch. 2 bouts with throat cancer, and still smoking like a really smokey thing. Hard to appreciate his lack of concern for life. But he still rips. No doubt. Didn't see Jonny Lang on any lists either. That kid has some serious game. And 98% of his show with no pick in his hand. Just amazing to watch. And Lindsey Buckingham will still hold his own with anybody on any list. The dude can play, and maybe more energy than anyone on any stage. And oddly enough, just last night, I met Chuck Ainlay, the guy that has produced most of Dire Straights (sp)?, and still works with Mark Knopler. Really cool guy, with an amazing list of credits. You should all check out his website. He is in Bozeman working on a new release for John Bohlinger, our luietenant governors son. I have heard most of it, and it is just amazing. I will let you all know when it is due to be released. Well worth a listen. And Jerry Douglas, CMA musician of the year for many years running, plays on it too. Good topic guys. I for one am always willing to talk about good musicians.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5096) 16 years ago
Matt:

I forgot about Jonny Lang. I saw him perform in a bar when he was 13. Unbelievable.
Yes, Angus Young is good...other notables not yet mentioned are:

new:
ben harper
jack white

old:
joe perry
kirk from metallica
the dudes from iron maiden

older:
john lee hooker
chuck berry????
Posted by steve Larson (+33) 16 years ago
Yngwie Malmstien, Niel Shoen,Stanley Jordan
how about Johnny Ramone. Sure, it was only three chords, but nobody played as fast.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9469) 16 years ago
I'm going with El Hefe
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4462) 16 years ago
Surprised no one said it, but it's obviously Tom Morello. He's a freak.

Sorry. Slosh did. Still my vote.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (edited 5/16/2006).]
everytime i listen to audioslave or rage, I'm reminded how amazing Morello is.
Posted by Bill N (+66) 16 years ago
Ani Difranco is my favorite guitarist to listen to.
John Frusciante of the chili peppers is pretty great, too.
Posted by MCGirl (+300) 16 years ago
Slash.
Posted by Heath H (+642) 16 years ago
Slash? Eeeek!

For some strange reason I completely forgot about Angus Young. He is the best, "jump around and play like a pro," guitar player in the history of the world. HANDS DOWN. He can do more with a guitar while spinning in circles on the floor or jumping around like a grasshopper than anyone.
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4453) 16 years ago
Dave Mustaine never gets any respect either.
Posted by L G (+79) 16 years ago
What about Jerry Cantrell and Joe Satriani? They're some of the most delicate and involved guitarists I've heard.
Duane Allman could rip it up...no better one-two punch than Duane and Dickey Betts from the Allman Brothers.

There's a new guy out there that some of you might have heard of...
Robert Randolph (and the family band). This guy plays amazing slide guitar. I'll be seeing him at Red Rocks this summer when he opens up for the Black Crowes...another band with some good guitar players...Rich Robinson and Marc Ford.
Posted by Markw (+19) 16 years ago
Robert Randolph plays pedal steel guitar like no one else on earth. It is amazing to hear what he does with an instrument, but he doesn't make my list because he doesn't play a guitar. This is a really hard question because there are so many styles and so many players out there. For example, there are two guys I have seen on PBS several times named Strunz and Farah that play a cross between flamenco and jazz that is amazing. But here are my mainstream choices by music category:

All Around Best - Eric Clapton

Best Rock Lead player - Zak Wylde, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh

Best Southern Rock - Gary Rossington, Duane Alman, Dicky Betts

Country - Vince Gill, Keith Urban

Blues - Stevie Ray Vaughn, BB King, Robert Cray, Bonnie Raitt

Acoustic - Dave Matthews, (Don't know where else to put Dave, but he is a player.)

Blue Grass - Ron Block

I could go on, but suppose I have bored you enough. There are hundreds to choose from and I listen to and try to learn from them all.
Best Mandolin Player....Sam Bush

Best banjo Player...Earl Scruggs

Both are playing at Rocky Grass this year on July 30th in Lyons, CO. Both should be joining each other on stage for the encore. Should be the concert of the summer (at least in Colorado).
Posted by Lee Jackson (+62) 16 years ago
His main genre is bluegrass, but imho he is the best all-around guitar player that has been on the scene. His name is Tony Rice. Other greats not mentioned above. Jeff Beck, Frank Marino, Ricky Scaggs, Vince Gill and Steve Warner.
Garth Brooks is pretty good too
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1598) 16 years ago
If Garth Brooks is a good guitar player then I am going to at CC Devile from Poisen. He is equally as good as Garth.

Danny T. I would like to see a list of your favorite guitar players.

[This message has been edited by Stone (edited 5/18/2006).]
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15369) 16 years ago
Now,now Garth does play a pretty mean G-chord.

I still believe Chet Atkins is the best of all time.
Posted by Deadeye (+36) 16 years ago
Some of you may of heard of David Grisman, did some mandolin gigs with Jerry Garcia. I saw him in Memphis, very impressive, great show.
I was being a bit of a smar a$$ when I said that. I was hoping people would catch that.
Posted by Danny T (+53) 16 years ago
It's hard for me to narrow down my favorite, but I would definitely include SRV, Hendrix, Clapton, Albert King, Buddy Guy, Johnny Winter, and Robert Johnson. I also agree with Stone. I'm not a huge fan of Dire Straits, but I love Mark Knopfler's style of guitar playing.

I think my favorite newer guitar players are Doyle Bramhall II, Mato Nanji(indigenous) and Joe Banamassa. If you're a Hendrix fan check out Doyle Bramhall's album WELCOME. Joe Banamassa is going to be playing in Three Forks this August. If you haven't heard him, you should check him out. I saw him open for Buddy Guy a few years ago and he was amazing.

For more local musicians, I like Jarred Stewart and Ken Pierce.
Posted by Dan (+465) 16 years ago
I dont know if he is one of the best but I kinda like the style of the Reverand Billy F. Gibbons...
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+18248) 16 years ago
I like guitar players who can play rhythm. Lowell George, Keith Richards, Lou Reed, David Byrne, Pete Townshend, Mick Jones, Ry Cooder, Jimmy Page, and Angus come to mind. I also like slide guitar players like Duane Allman and the aforementioned Lowell and Ry. If you are going to mention country guitarists, the all-time best would be Don Rich. I will refrain from rehashing the metal guitarists, but would have to put a vote in for mid-70s Ted Nugent.