I suppose it's time to eliminate pitchers now ...
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 10 years ago
http://billingsgazette.co...03286.html

Soft coach-pitch and/or tee-ball for everyone!
Posted by Alicia.Esteves (+225) 10 years ago
Seriously, its pretty sad when you have to make a sarcastic comment about a tragedy. But im sure you were amused.
Yes, I am truly History's Greatest Monster. I should be strung up by my ankles and left to rot for daring not to wallow in someone else's misery.

If it makes you feel better, feel free to mock me after I'm gone. I won't care.

What I do care about, however, is making sure that no child ever gets hurt doing anything anywhere. I won't rest until everyone is encapsulated in lucite and shielded from everything that might possibly harm them.

And if I have to embark upon an 8-year crusade to do so? So be it.
Posted by JJC (+77) 10 years ago
And I suppose you ride a motorcycle without a helmet, ride in a car without your seatbelt, and eat potato salad that has been sitting out for 6 hours in the hot sun- all because you don't have enough brain cells to know sometimes it's better to be safe than sorry-
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2706) 10 years ago
WB BAR! LOL
And I suppose you ride a motorcycle without a helmet, ride in a car without your seatbelt, and eat potato salad that has been sitting out for 6 hours in the hot sun- all because you don't have enough brain cells to know sometimes it's better to be safe than sorry-

I hate when I forget to use [satire] tag in my posts.
Posted by JJC (+77) 10 years ago
Yes I suppose it is very satirical when you poke fun at parents who don't want their child to be involved in a devastating accident. Your first post was probably a little callous to some very fine parents in the community that have lost a child. However, the second post demonstrated your complete lack of intelligence sensitivity. Maybe sometimes you should just leave well enough alone. And DON'T send me any emails because I don't appreciate your tirades filling up my inbox.

[This message has been edited by JJC (6/8/2011)]
supporter
Posted by SeptyTwo (+674) 10 years ago
And... that is the BEST way to eat potato salad... mmm-mmmm
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+763) 10 years ago
But seriously, folks. This is a bummer, but it just goes to show that no activity is perfectly safe, s#it happens. Surely it will be investigated and if any ideas come up to make it safer, they will be explored. Can you imagine how the kid who threw the ball feels?
Posted by shannon (+82) 10 years ago
Brian, you are a complete a$$hole. The father of this son is a life-long friend of my husband and Debbie Patch has been one of my best friends for almost 20 years. You have blasted the Patch's in the past and now you are firing on this family's gut-wrenching, heart-breaking ordeal. Just because you have an agenda does not give you the right to be an insensitive ass. Have you ever heard of empathy? Perhaps you need to take a course in sensitivity.
You were actually kind of cool in high school; what happened to you?
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+475) 10 years ago
Parents who don't want their child to be involved in a devastating accident should keep them from ever riding in cars. They're much more likely to be hurt doing that than they are playing softball or baseball.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 10 years ago
Brian, I'm confused about your motives here. Are you just being a troll?
Posted by Tina Bean (+415) 10 years ago
My boys and my daughter have played baseball and softball for years. NEVER have I seen such a thing happen. The deal with Brandon was a tragedy and with this boy as well. I feel for their family, friends, coaches and the other children that were involved or witnessed it......

HOWEVER, I do feel that these things are freak ACCIDENTS!!! Its not the helmet, bat, ball, pants, glasses or any other flippin thing they use. A child could die in your own home, walking across the street, at school, at church or on the field playing a game they love with all their heart....Play ball, climb a tree, ride your bike, have FUN!! Thats living right? Sitting in a box of packing peanuts peeking out the top watching life pass you by while you live in the land of "what if" or "just in case" is a complete waste!!

It is too bad that these incidences have been used to tear towns and families apart.
supporter
Exactly. Here drowning is the second leading cause of childhood death and I'm always promoting, encouraging, organizing and coaching a swim club... we don't even use life jackets on the littlest ones.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 10 years ago
So you're saying this could be avoided if kids practiced taking bean balls more often?
supporter
I would leave it up to the experts. Good timing! What advice would the sport's greatest pro coach have for the little ones wanting to make it big, or even survive their teens?
supporter
Take more bean balls.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1794) 10 years ago
The sad thing about this, to me, is that this is the second such accident that has happened in a week:

http://articles.nydailyne...counseling

My only other comment is that I pretty-much agree that no physical activity any kid can participate in is entirely safe. There is always risk. It is what it is...I don't say that to minimize a tragedy when it happens, though.
supporter
That happened in the unlikeliest of ways.