Mosquito Spraying??
Posted by Heather84 (+373) 10 years ago
Does anyone know if the city/county will be firing up the old spraying truck earlier this season? Gnats and their much nastier counterpart - the mosquito - definitely have us outgunned right now.

[This message has been edited by Heather84 (6/7/2011)]
Posted by Nancy Wallick (+66) 10 years ago
Do they still do that? We have laughed how many of us appear to have made bad decisions due to brain damage from following the mosquito truck in the '60's. (I personally hid from it as the smell and blue cloud frightened me.)
Posted by Leann (+184) 10 years ago
Here is the information number 874 3461. I called it last week to see when they might be spraying because the mosquito's are getting really bad. It said the weather has to stay at least 55 or warmer at night or the "fogging" doesn't work. Sometimes I think if they sprayed at sunset or at least by 9:30pm, it would be more affective. Plus people who don't have centeral air in there home could get windows closed so the smell doesn't gave them a headache.
Posted by Kmama (+105) 10 years ago
Not to mention asthma attacks! I sure would like to know the regular spraying schedule as it seems to change every year, sometimes every week even...
Posted by Heather84 (+373) 10 years ago
Thanks for the information....They used to spray every Thursday night last year.
Posted by mtguy09 (+9) 10 years ago
I imagine it is a little difficult to have a "regular spraying schedule" when wind, low temps and, I assume, other factors render it ineffective and don't allow for them to spray. I am very grateful for this service and I think having to close my windows or go inside for ten minutes is absolutely worth doing when it means not being eaten alive by mosquitos.
Posted by StacieE (+394) 10 years ago
They are spraying tonight.
Posted by klew (+85) 10 years ago
Just saw them going thru our neighborhood. *relief*
Posted by Montana1 (+32) 10 years ago
Anyone have an idea what it is or was that they spray? Especially back in the 60's & 70's?
They are spraying tonight. Just went buy at 10pm. I hope they are able to keep it this early and not later.
They are spraying tonight. Just went buy at 10pm. I hope they are able to keep it this early and not later.
supporter
Posted by Nancy Drew (+288) 10 years ago
I think it was Agent Orange in the 60's....
supporter
Posted by C.Kee (+376) 10 years ago
Yep, Agent Orange, in Vietnam. My husband suffers from the after effects of it.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 10 years ago
Agent Orange was a defoliant, not an insecticide, so spraying it for mosquitoes would have killed all the trees in town but none of the mosquitoes. It was probably DDT back in the day because that killed f***ing every bug it touched and it was sprayed pretty indiscriminately.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 10 years ago
It was DDT in the 60's. Probably some form of endrin or malathion after that. I know in the eighty's the golf course was sprayed once with parathion.