Posted by Ellen Bishop (+13) 9 years ago
for a JW "Dick" Cole, he died in Rapid City in 1882 Jan 8 , his father was in Miles City when he died and was coming here for the funeral, I want to find out what J W is for and what is fathers name was. The 1880 census of Montana has some Cole and they are born in NY which is what Dick said about his father in 1880 census here. I tried to trace them back and didn't succeed in find a a boy of the right age born in about 1849 in Indiana. I have a very nice obit for him which tells a lot about work as driver for the Stage Company but light on details of his life. Can someone found out if there are papers this old in Miles City or Helena that might help me write his memorial for findagrave, he is a very inter sting young man.
founder
Posted by roberta campbell (+53) 9 years ago
"This Last West" by Lorman L. Hoopes
Cole, J. W. (Uncle) '12: born NY; '46 Marries: date? stage driver; works far and wide; thru Pa., Ohio, Indiana, Minn., Dakotas, Manitoba and the M.T. Bismark to Fort Keogh run; 80? stays on , MC; horse trainer, BH and co; (Y) 10/8/81 oldest stage driver, M.T.; quits job as stage driver, Miles City Stage Co., work, Savage's store, MC '82 delivery agent, W.A. Burleigh and Co. MC (Y) 4/9/84 expressman, MC; (Y) 12/20/84 hired by Wells Fargo to make local deliveries; (Y) 10/24/85 same