Custer County Food Bank
Posted by Glenna Bolton (+33) 11 years ago
The Custer County Food Bank would like to thank all the kind people in Miles City who have donated money and food items to the food bank. Our biggest contributors are Wal-Mart, Albertsons, Town Pump of Montana, Made in Montana Store, Knights of Columbus, our local churches and schools. Just recently there was a food drive by the Letter Carrier's of Miles City. A total of 1,556 lbs. of food was donated. This was such an enormous boost to the Custer County Food Bank. The Builders Club of Washington Middle School donated food items as well as personal care items. We are truly grateful for these items as these are things that can be difficult for people to purchase on a limited income. We get requests for toiletries, personal care items as well as dog and cat food. Last week alone we gave out over 40 bottles of shampoo and conditioner. Shaving cream and razors. Toothpaste and toothbrushes. Laundry soap and dish washing soap. Toilet paper and paper towels.
The number of households we serve each month averages around 275. We average 13 new households monthly.
The month of May we are starting out with empty freezers. Due to cutbacks the Montana Food Network is now only delivering food every 6 weeks instead of every 4 weeks. The quantities allotted has been cut back as well. Which makes us rely on donations all the more.

The Custer County Food Bank could use your help with donations of beef, chicken, pork and cheese. We purchase eggs and bread periodically. The biggest need right now is getting our freezers stocked. We also are in need of personal care items such as bath soap, toothbrushes,toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, razors,shave cream, hand lotion,laundry soap, toilet paper and paper towels. Condiments are helpful also, such as ketchup, salad dressings, salt, pepper, flour and sugar.
Once again, thank you to all who help out. Our volunteers are probably our most valuable asset.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3697) 10 years ago
As of today we are still in need of donations, especially meat. The first of the month is tomorrow and come tomorrow, when we open our doors the need will be great.

Donations can be dropped off at the Food bank. Look for the loading docks on the back of the VA across from the Highway Patrol office.

Thank you in advance for your generosity.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 10 years ago
Where would we send a check?
supporter
Posted by Lynne (+131) 10 years ago
First off, thanks to Glenna and Tucker for the advertisement. Second thank you to the community for all of the donations of money, time and in-kind donations; they are all greatly appreciated. Finally the address is:
Custer County Food Bank
210 S Winchester
Miles City, MT 59301

Lynne Weischedel
Director
CCFB
Posted by Glenna Bolton (+33) 10 years ago
As of yesterday we gave out our last pound of hamburger and and whole chickens. We have some deer burger left. The Custer County Food Bank is in desperate need of meat. The need is great in Miles City. The Food Bank is open Tuesday through Thursday, 9:00 - 1:30p.m. We are feeding over 500 people a month, the largest portion of these are children and senior citizens.
We would like to remind you that the soup kitchen is now open Mon.-Friday at the VA. Please stop in and have a great bowl of soup and visit our facilities.
Again, we want to thank our generous friends of Miles City and appreciate your support for these two fine organizations.
The Custer County Food Bank is in dire need of meat. The freezers are empty. Miles City is feeding more and more households every week. This is the first of the month and we will be overwhelmed with clients on Tuesday. Please help if you can, thanks.
Posted by JaDee (+73) 10 years ago
Glenna Bolton,

Tell the people to stop having kids, or go get a Job, and start supporting themselves, instead of depending on other people! !

[This message has been edited by JaDee (6/6/2011)]
Posted by Jade S (+146) 10 years ago
Glenna,

When I get there my children and I will be regular fixtures, volunteering in whatever way you need.

JaDee,

Good thing you don't need those services. I bet you would want to be treated with dignity and grace, because somehow it is that kid who is at fault, right? As a child my best meal of the week was the Friday fish fry at the Catholic Church . I wasn't a member of their church and often I went there alone, but they didn't care. Maybe you should volunteer, donate or be silent. Did you fail Home Training 101?
Posted by JaDee (+73) 10 years ago
Here comes the hate forums
supporter
Thank you to Glenna! And Jade S we will be very happy to have your assistance in any form once you get to Miles City. Also welcome to the community.
Lynne Weischedel
CCFB Director
Posted by Jade S (+146) 10 years ago
The hate forums?

Nah, just telling it like it is.
Posted by Kacey (+3153) 10 years ago
Glenna,
Do you get a discount when purchasing meat, so if someone wanted to donate money would buy more for the food bank than if they bought the meat directly and gave it to you?

As for the negativity, all I can say is Karma...

[This message has been edited by Kacey (6/6/2011)]
supporter
Kacey,
We don't get a discount, although I do usually order when there are sales so that I get most of the meat at sale prices.
Lynne
CCFB Director
supporter
Posted by skoh (+333) 10 years ago
Maybe if there is anyone out there who is a "couponer" they could get the BOGO items and donate the stuff they get free. Unfortunately I don't have the knack for couponing but if someone knows how and gets lots of extra food or toiletry items they might want to donate their talents (and the excess items!) I would imagine that donations are tax deductible.
supporter
I think JaDee is about 13 years old. Ignore him/her.
Posted by klew (+79) 10 years ago
Just forwarded the request to our Coupon Group and Church group. Hopefully we can round up some more items to help out. Let us know if there are specific items we can find for you.
Thank you for your interest in helping the Custer County Food
Bank. We are in desperate need of meat. Our freezers are empty. We can use beef, chicken and pork. Packaged chicken breasts, thighs, wings and legs. Hamburger meat, pork chops, ribs and bacon. Hot dogs, sausage, lunch meat and cheese is great for the kids' lunches.

We get requests for items such as shampoo, razors, shaving cream, toothpaste, toothbrushes. Laundry soap, dish washing soap, paper towels and toilet paper. We also get requests for dog and cat food.
We have young families who can not afford to buy formula and diapers.

We appreciate all that this community has done for CCFB. Please, help us feed the hungry in Miles City.

Don't forget the Soup Kitchen is open 5 days a week now. Come have lunch at the VA and support this worthy cause as well. Thank You!
supporter
Ok, I'm sending a check tomorrow. I challenge all who view this post to send money or food to the Food Bank. If everyone gives a little it will help a lot.
supporter
Bump
Thanks Wendy for putting in a good word for the food bank.
Each week we have an increase in the number of people who have just lost their jobs and who don't have enough money for the basics. The extra things make a difference. Our clients are happy to get a sack of flour or sugar. These kinds of things are not provided unless they are donated items. We provide enough food for one week. We are still in need of meat. OUR FREEZERS ARE EMPTY. Most people try to use the meat as the main portion of their meals. We can use hamburger meat, chicken and pork. We are not asking for steaks. We are asking for meat that can be stretched into several meals. Lunch meat and cheese would be great for sandwiches.
Again, thanks to the volunteers who work hard to pick up the donated items from Wal-Mart and Albertsons.

A reminder: The Soup Kitchen is open at the VA daily. Monday through Friday. 11:00 am to 1:00 pm. Please come and share a meal.
supporter
What are your phone number and hours? I'd like to talk to someone about volunteer opportunies.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3697) 10 years ago
Wendy, Lynn needs to post the phone number.

Anyone wanting to help can drop by Tuesday through Thursday from nine AM until one thirty PM. I know they need help on Tuesdays. Glenna and I have moved to Denver and another of our valuable volunteers is having back surgery. Lynn can tell interested parties when the food bank needs help.
supporter
The Food Bank number is: 234-3663, you can call there on Tue, Wed or Thurs from 9AM to 1:30PM. My number is 852-0540, leave a message if there is no answer.
Lynne
I hope the Custer County Food Bank received a lot donations, can someone let us know how it is going??
supporter
Hi Glenna,
We have gotten our meat supply built up a little more now. And the donations have been great. Fresh produce will probably start picking up in a couple of weeks or so. Walmart donations have increased again for awhile anyway.
Lynne
Hi Lynne,
I am so glad things are improving at the Food Bank. I hope you have found some volunteers to replace the ones who have left.
This is to anyone who has a few hours a day or even one day a week to volunteer this would help immensely. There are simple jobs to be done, from helping stock shelves, pushing carts out on to the loading docks to assist someone in loading their cars to picking up donations. Any little bit helps, even for a few hours in a day.
Thanks Miles City to help the Hungry.
Posted by zzzzzzzzz (+34) 10 years ago
;D
Posted by Lindsey (+285) 10 years ago
Are you still in need of donations I am a "couponer" and would love to help!
supporter
Lindsey,
We can always use donations, everything helps and this community has been great. Glenna, we have gotten several new volunteers for the summer at least and one new volunteer program. This fall I think Bob will come back, but we may have to find someone to fill in for Lucetta since she will probably work most of the time.
Lynne
Posted by Lindsey (+285) 10 years ago
Are you able to take donations on the weekend? the times you are open are when I am at work and not able to sneak away. Thank you
supporter
Give me a call or email and I will make arrangements.
Lynne
852-0540