Judo in MC?
Posted by Jade S (+146) 11 years ago
We are looking for Judo in MC, preferably USA Judo, but will consider USJA/USJI/USJF or Korean Judo. Or a place with tatami style mats where my kids can workout in between twice-weekly trips to Billings.

My daughter is a two time National Roster alumni, as well as a Jr US Open competitor. We are looking forward to the JR Olympics this summer, but we are looking for mat time that is not two hours away. She fights Senior Women Brown/Black belt at 15 years old.

My son is also a judoka with two National/International tournaments under his belt. He is a Junior Blue belt.

Anybody that is a Shodan or greater want to give private instruction? We have a 12x14 ft fighting area available.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1800) 10 years ago
As a former student of Taekwondo, let me comment on this in hopes that it is of help to you.

I don't live in Miles City (but I was born and raised there), so I cannot say for sure that there is nobody there that teaches judo, but I'm pretty sure there is no one....if anyone knows otherwise, though, feel free to correct me.

The last time I can recall that judo instruction was available in Miles was back in the 70's when Mr. Reynolds taught it. He was the high school principal at Sacred Heart and then transferred to Baker HS, and then Absarokee after that...I don't know where he is now.

Anyway, your only options may very well be to travel to Billings for the classes: http://www.montanamartial...561231.htm or else, if you feel confident enough to do so, to start teaching the classes yourself.

Either way, it sounds like your family has some genuine enthusiasm for judo, so I wish you well with your desire to continue practicing and learning it.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15076) 10 years ago
The last time I can recall that judo instruction was available in Miles was back in the 70's when Mr. Reynolds taught it.

All the moves that Mr. Reynolds taught me, were I to used them now, would probably land me in traction in the hospital. It was fun though to kick Kippy Jazz's ass in PE.
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+511) 10 years ago
Ben Hunn who is a pharmacist at the VA used to teach judo. AS far as I know he is still in town and you should be able to find him in the phone book.
Posted by Jade S (+146) 10 years ago
Thanks everyone for the replies. I have heard of Ben Hunn before, but was told he was no longer teaching, or hadn't in years. I looked him up on the judo circuit and he took kids to tournaments as late as 2009 from what I have found. I will definitely look him up.

Thanks again!
Posted by MKP (+25) 10 years ago
Ben Hunn is definantely a very good teacher. I had him as mine for 3 years. I dont know if he still is as others said but if he is its def. worth going to him.
Posted by Vicki Waddington (+13) 10 years ago
There is an excellent taekwondo/hapkito/kumdo studio in Glendive, the Eastern Montana Martial Arts Association, instructor Master Karen Ballentine. They have a website as well. It's an hour's drive from Miles City to the east. My son and daughter-in-law train there and now they have their own studio in Sidney. My son also trained in karate with Ben Hunn in Miles City, and if he is still there, he is excellent. I wish you the best in finding martial arts training for your kids. It's a wonderful discipline and a lifestyle that serves everyone well.
Thanks for all the recommendations; we are only interested in Judo for now. If we are unable to find someone local, then we will be headed to Billings to Park's Martial Arts. It is the dojo where they began their judo training before we switched to USA Judo in Salt Lake City.

They love it.

I like to watch my daughter beat on her opponents, I mean, skillfully employ her judo techniques.
Posted by Kmama (+99) 10 years ago
Last I heard Ben was still teaching. I trained with him over ten years ago and he is an awesome teacher. My oldest son also took Judo from Ben about 2 years ago. I think as long as he still has a space to train he would be willing to atleast let you use the space.
I got a hold of Ben on Facebook, of all places. He doesn't live in Miles City anymore. Bummer.