Intel processor question
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15369) 11 years ago
Is the intel Core i series (say the i5) processor newer than the Intel Core 2 processor?
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10021) 11 years ago
No, but don't let logic get in the way.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4462) 11 years ago
I think you mean yes and then the same thing about logic.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10021) 11 years ago
How about bacon? That solves all problems in regards to logic.
founder
Posted by James Shaw (+137) 11 years ago
Yes, the i-series is newer than the Core Series.

..but the Sandy Bridge series is the second generation of the i-series. They made alot of improvements (besides the bug a few months back).
Posted by Josh Rath (+2307) 11 years ago
Psst: Technically the processors are identical, just renamed and bumped up a bit.
supporter
Thanks for the intel.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 11 years ago
Psst. Don't listen to Josh. Sandy Bridge uses a 32nm manufacturing process vs. the 65nm or 45nm in the core 2 duos. Smaller feature size translates to less heat generation, less power usage, and higher max clock speeds. In addition there are various other architecture tweaks.

Are you shopping for a macbook air? The sandy bridge version will be far more powerful than the current core 2 duo (70%+ increase in speed on some processor intensive tasks) and should have significantly improved battery life as well. Whether or not you need that is another question of course. At the very least I would wait for the new version to come out just so they will drop the price on the old one.
supporter
Actually, I was looking at what is available at the Lenovo outlet store and wanted to make certain I was buying the latest technology available for the the price.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9469) 11 years ago
But other than that and a name change, exactly the same.
Posted by Joe Smity (+104) 11 years ago
"But other than that and a name change, exactly the same."

Just like Ford and Chevy, exactly the same...but not.