supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6173) 11 years ago
There is new malware called MacProtector floating around that downloads onto Macs and then somehow controls what sites are listed first in google searches. The malware then captures your credit card number if you don't realize that the site you are on is not the official one. We just got back from the Mac store to remove this from my daughter's Macbook.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2313) 11 years ago
Usually Mac users are smart enough to not download something called "MacProtector"...
supporter
Yes, of course. I'll be sure to tell her that.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3708) 11 years ago
This is unpossible. Everyone knows there are not malware on Macs!
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4457) 11 years ago
Usually Mac users are smart enough to not download something called "MacProtector"...

Uh, no. The whole point of owning a Mac is the false sense of security that comes with having such a "secure" OS.
Ok. Better yet. Buy her a windows laptop. They she can have antivirus/spyware/malware software which bogs the computer down. And STILL get a virus, or trojan, or malware. Oh yes, windows is SO much better.
supporter
Usually Windows users are smart enough to not download trojans.
Right Levi. Hence why the majority of people living in this town have never gotten a trojan or virus, right?
founder
Posted by James Shaw (+143) 11 years ago
Yep.. Mac users get viruses/worms/etc too.

..they just don't want to admit it. I run Windows 7 here with ESET Internet Security and never had an issue or a virus/worm. I've been running that combo since 7 came out and XP (with ESET) before that.

Whoever runs Symantec (aka. Norton) needs to have a "Head Slap".
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4457) 11 years ago
It only sounds dumb when you say it, Levi.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15202) 11 years ago
Yes, mac's can get viruses, worms, etc. It isn't as common as with a PC. It is pretty simple to protect a mac from all of that stuff. It is not really that big of a deal.
supporter
It only sounds dumb when you say it, Levi.

Apparently.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9380) 11 years ago
Oh yes, windows is SO much better.

And where was this statement made?
supporter
Remind me next time to keep my big mouth shut. I didn't start this post just to have Josh criticize my child's intelligence.
Posted by MCGuy (+55) 11 years ago
This whole mac vs pc debate is getting extremely stale. For what it's worth I've been a pc guy for a long time and build my own through sites such as newegg or zipzoomfly.

I've been running an I7 with Vista 64 on it since December 2008 with absolutely NO anti virus program or anti malware software on it. I've NEVER had a virus, trojan or keylogger of any kind on this computer. The one thing I do use is Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.

Both macs and pc's have ups and downs. Why does it matter to you if somebody is running one or the other? Learning what is safe to click and what is not as well as a little common sense go a long way when it comes to virus problems....
Posted by bc8907 (+64) 10 years ago
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the fact that a machine's OS really has nothing to do with it's susceptibility to attacks. Mac's and PC's are built with the same hardware (just differently priced); the only difference is what kernel the OS is built off of. There's only so much the people that design these can do with respect to preventative measures. Even if you buy the most expensive anti-virus software, it won't help those clueless users who think they can download and allow permissions for everything on the web without compromising their computers.

P.S. For the record, Mac's are less susceptible to malware only because they're not as popular making them not as desirable to attackers. But that's changing rather quickly.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15202) 10 years ago
Oh, goodie... another procreateing drive-by mac insult. Do you feel superior now??
supporter
Posted by worldmom (+419) 10 years ago
Insults and rogue apostrophes.
Posted by philip ewalt (+28) 10 years ago
If you're talking about pc8907's post, there is not one wrong apostrophe in the message.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3794) 10 years ago
linux, that's all I'm saying.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4457) 10 years ago
Line two - "it's" - you know, not trying to be a punk. The whole kernel vs. OS thing is a new insanity, too.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (8/19/2011)]
Posted by Josh Rath (+2313) 10 years ago
Why must people resurrect these old posts...
supporter
Posted by worldmom (+419) 10 years ago
And the PS: "Mac's." For the record.
Posted by philip ewalt (+28) 10 years ago
Buck is right about "it's." It is a contraction and it should have been the possessive pronoun its. 'Mac's" is a contraction for "Macintosh" and should have the apostrophe denoting that letters have been left out.
Posted by Herbie (+111) 10 years ago
Remember Wendy that Josh is so much smarter than everyone else.
Posted by bc8907 (+64) 10 years ago
As far as I can tell, my previous post was a completely neutral one. I can't find any trace of an insult to either side in this debate. I was merely trying to show the pointlessness of it, and keep misinformed people from making a bad decision. As for the one misused apostrophe, now that's just silly...
Posted by Wil Nelson (+77) 10 years ago
This is old news! Apple incorporated malware removal and/or quarantine methods for this problem during Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or maybe even x.7