this is really sad and worrisome!!
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4950) 11 years ago
http://www.politicususa.c...l-spending

also note correction:
I used some information that has since been corrected on the original site, Business Insider. It turns out that the United States spends 16.2% of our GDP on social programs, NOT 7.2%.

which is still precious little...no wonder Americans are sick, hungry, and dying...

[This message has been edited by howdy (4/17/2011)]
supporter
these patriotic millionaires "get it"...
http://www.salon.com/news...gher_taxes
Posted by korky II (+615) 11 years ago
Unbelievable ignorant liberals. They still don't get the message and it was made perfectly clear in the mid term elections. You cannot spend yourself out of debt. It is mathmatically impossible.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11957) 11 years ago
You also can not continue to cut your revenue and get debt free. We need to cut spending AND increase taxes. Any other way is just political posturing.

The Bush tax cuts were to return the surplus to the people. The surplus is LONG gone so why are we still giving it back?

Raise taxes. Cut spending, including giving defense a major whack, and we can talk. Keep giving tax cuts to the wealthy while starving the poor and we may find ourselves facing a revolutionary mob.
supporter
Republicans are so far out of touch it is disgusting...the answer isn't cut social programs at all...we have to once and for all raise taxes on those that can afford it...the very wealthy...even the wealthy agree...
I'm not going to say the Dems are right or the Repubs are right because I really don't care. I usually vote on who I believe can do the best job, not whether they are republican or democrat. I do know I did not vote for Obama because I felt he would not be good for our country. I was right, He took an already huge deficit and added a few more trillion dollars to it and now he says we are all in this together, well we are because him and the left wing liberal congress did it to us. Now our triple a credit rating is in jeopardy. The only promise he has kept so far is the energy prices "skyrocketing". I don't know what the answer is, but the white house and congress better get off their political asses, forget their political agendas (to get re-elected) and do what they are paid for. I already pay almost 20% of my income in taxes and am far from being WEALTHY. If they would have left social security alone back in the sixties and kept their greedy little fingers out of the till, socials security would be solvent right now and not a burden on them to pay. I'll pay uncle sam what is due him without complaining when they start using my tax dollars wisely and can account for where it goes. We don't need another war, I was for afghanistan after 911, not in favor of Iraq, and I'm damn sure not in favor of Lybia. Right now as far as I'm concerned we can just pull out of all of them. It would save roughly 52 billion dollars a day. This whole mess is just plain stupid and it is time for it to stop.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11957) 11 years ago
Income taxes are the lowest they have been in 60 years. Capital gains i.e. unearned income is taxed at 15%. Guess who has the most capital gain income?

Raise taxes. Cut spending. Stop playing political theatre.

Not gonna happen but a girl has to dream.
I agree Amorette with the stop spending and the political theatre. I'm not against raising taxes, just not in favor of it until all the unnecessary spending is cut and we are out of the three conflicts (afghanistan, Iraq, and done with Lybia). Oncethe unnessary spending is stopped, I feel then we can look at our tax rates and adjust accordingly. But I'm against any tax adjustment at the current spending rate. The military budget needs to be cut. Figure it up, at 53 billion a day going towards our conflicts is a huge amount if you look at it over a year. Our politicians need to do away with this my way or nothing attitude, find some common ground on these issues and get something accomplished. They also need to quit (dems and repubs) lying to us. last word: why is it if we lie to congress it is a felony. If they lie to us it's just politics ?
supporter
Sadly if you quit all the wars, the military industrial complex will throw a lot of folks out of work...it is a catch 22 IMO...
Agreed, it would put a lot of people out of work, but if we brought our manufacturing plants and other industries that once used to be here, back from oversees, a lot of the people would slide back into the private sector for jobs. Just like the gov't needs to cut back on spending, we need to bring our industry back to the U.S. and start buying American goods instead of relying on foreign goods. Don't get me wrong, I think we need to have the most powerful military in the world, but there are ways to achieve that without spending our kids future.
supporter
I also agree we need to bring jobs home but sadly corporations want that dime an hour labor instead of paying an American a living wage...Greed is ruining our nation IMO...
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9307) 11 years ago
So, what precisely is the "unnecessary" spending (other than the military, which we can all agree is too expensive) that you feel should be stopped?
supporter
all social spending should be increased IMO...if you stopped the military wars we could support that ....Americans should come first...No American should be dying because he cannot afford to live...that's disgraceful!!