Looking for a consensus from MC
Posted by 14prairie (+80) 11 years ago
would you pay a bill for a service that was received, but the service was performed totally wrong and therefore useless? The company says they corrected the issue but cannot offer me any verification, but they still want my money to fund their mistake! Would you pay the bill or tear it up?

C'mon folks, I've seen topics explode in an instant here. Give me some feedback on this. I'm looking for honest unadulterated opinions here... What would you do?

[This message has been edited by 14prairie (4/14/2011)]
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5101) 11 years ago
Was there a happy ending involved?
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1659) 11 years ago

GUILTY!!!!

...time for Wapner.

supporter
Posted by howdy (+4950) 11 years ago
Perhaps you should include more details before anyone can comment seriously...
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4455) 11 years ago
Sounds to me like an average trip to any hospital or auto mechanic. Better pay.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6172) 11 years ago
Details.
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1505) 11 years ago
14prairie wrote:
The company says they corrected the issue but cannot offer me any verification, but they still want my money to fund their mistake!

Are they requiring you to pay for the mistake or the correction? Seems by your message the job was done, but needs verification.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3707) 11 years ago
This forum is not the place to seek consensus . That said, I agree with howdy, not enough details.
OK ...more details ...not too specific because there's a local business involved and I don't want to be nasty. But I am being billed for a service that was a one-shot opportunity to get it right, like a live performance. But it was done totally wrong, giving wrong information to potential 'audience of the live performance'. When I contacted them they said they would fix it and do it again, and that is what I cannot verify. No one I've asked can confirm that it ever was done right, no one, except the particular staff that did it wrong in the first place. And even if it ever was done right it still wasn't directed toward the particular 'audience' that it was supposed to go to, or what I am getting charged for.

They said they completed their end of the deal at a different time and should collect full payment for it. But, from personal experience, I sure as H*ll don't get paid if my job is done half right and completed at a diferent time. I don't believe I should have to pay for it. If it can be verified that it was done right, but at a different time then I think I would concede half of the amount because their job was done half right.

I am so frustrated by this because I don't want to be really nasty although I have been made the joke because of their mistake. I was just starting with this business, so I'm glad this didn't go on longer or cost me more money along the way.

Buck, not a trip to the hospital or mechanic, I would make sure they had it right before I had the service performed.

And yes, Levi, this is definitely the place to look for a consensus, most witty and straight forward comments one will ever read!
Posted by aaron bruce (+199) 11 years ago
[deleted - o/t]
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4950) 11 years ago
Well, I have to agree if the job wasn't done right the first time, and then the second time you cannot verify, that you have no obligation to pay them in full...why not take it to court and let a judge decide...How about Judge Judy...that way you get paid 5 grand just for appearing on the show...my two cents at least...
Posted by Kacey (+3154) 11 years ago
How much money are you talking about? Realize if you don't pay the bill it will go to a collection agency most likely. Unless it's really a fly by night business. Pay the bill if you can but write something on the check as to not being satisfied with the services. Then tell the owner you are paying it under duress and if they insist on the payment you will be filing in small claims court to recoup your money. If you win it will then cost the business not only time to fight your claim but court costs if they lose.

Or you could simply tell the business you will post all of the facts on here including their name unless they cancel your bill.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6172) 11 years ago
If you can't verify if the job was done right the second time how could you possibly know that it was done wrong the first time?
can verify it was done wrong the first time because I was in 'the audience' and notified them immediately!
Don't want to go on people's court or face judge Judy! The dollar amount is not that huge, it is just the point that no one whould pay full price for a job half done, if it was really done.

[This message has been edited by 14prairie (4/16/2011)]
Posted by remoh1 (+38) 11 years ago
you have to pay for service rendered but not for service not recieved therefore you need to write a letter stating your concerns and request proof of fulfilment of said agreement.