Livestock Branding
Posted by Nancy Johnson (+12) 11 years ago
I bought a horse that has 4 brands. 33 on either side of his croop (cold brand), a very crude 07 hot brand on his left shoulder and a rafter T brand (hot brand) on his left flank. He is a 10 YO 16'3" red dun with Gruella markings as well. Any idea where this fella came from?
Posted by stef428 (+234) 11 years ago
first off, good luck! my only suggestion would be to talk to a brand inspector. They are pretty good at deciding order of brands and can usually help you out!
supporter
Posted by JCF (+395) 11 years ago
was he advertised as "kid friendly"? passed along that many times usually isn't too good of a sign. good luck.
Actually I've owned him for 6 years and he is an amazing horse. Reluctant @ dressage but capable and jumps exceptionally well, smart clean jumper with a great sense of judgement and self preservation. An absolute star cross country jumping, loves it! He is moving up to the Preliminary eventing level next month. I'll never sell him, just would enjoy knowing where he came from! Might want another one!
supporter
Posted by Bill Zook (+487) 11 years ago
Ms. Johnson: In our 1984 MT brand books I found listings for some brands that might fit what you describe. I found a rafter T for the left THIGH owned(at that time) by Dennis Johnson of Great Falls. I've not heard of a "flank" brand, nor is any such description given in the brand books. If this doesn't work for you I guess you had better consult an inspector.
The other brand you inquired about was an 07 on the left shoulder. I found a bar 07 for the left shoulder registered to James Jenkins of Darby, MT. You might double check for a bar over the 07 and see if this applies.
The cold branded 33s might just be a sales brand for listing in a catalog. The old, old timers double branded as vents of brands; but I doubt that is the case with your horse.
Hope this helps in some way.
Thank you for your help Bill! Sounds like Dennis Johnson is my next step. The 07 brand does not have a bar on or near it... People seem to get pretty skittish of a horse that's been branded so many times. This is my only experience with a branded horse and it's been a good one. He's got his querks for sure but I've dealt with them constructively, I believe, and he's grown up to be a solid citizen for me. Have a great day and thank you again! Nancy