Early Cable TV
supporter
Posted by Nancy Drew (+285) 11 years ago
I recall that we had cable TV in Miles City in the early 60's. I still can't get cable where I live now! There were several Salt Lake City stations. I remember ads for an amusement park called LAGOON. We wanted to go to that place so bad. They also showed swimming in Salt Lake and you FLOATED!We would always ask if we could go to Lagoon and swim in Salt Lake. We never got there....Does anyone know why they showed Salt Lake stations? Or has anyone ever been to Lagoon?????
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17671) 11 years ago
Somewhere I have a newspaper ad for one of Miles City's former cable TV companies (TCI?) that shows a historic photo of Mayor Herb Crone switching on Miles City's cable TV (about 1960).

I think the Salt Lake stations were KUTV (NBC), KCPX which became KTVX (ABC), and KUED (PBS). KSL (CBS) came to Miles City cable later, in the mid to late 70's, I think. Today KUTV is CBS and KSL is NBC.

I went to Lagoon back about 1980 and maybe again in 1982. It was fun but not as much fun as (the old) Elitch Gardens in Denver from that same era.

http://www.lagoonpark.com
Posted by lindajo (+23) 11 years ago
I remember those Salt Lake stations, I also always dreamt of going to Lagoon. I also remember waking up in the morning and watching Fireman Frank and in the afternoon after school Captain Scottie! These were the only sources for cartoons except Saturday morning when you got up at 6 a.m. to start your morning of cartoon viewing!
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6173) 11 years ago
The 60s news program from Salt Lake had anchorman Dick Nourse and when we moved here in the mid 90s he was still on the air! He only retired a few years ago. It was trippy to see some of the things I'd only seen advertisements for as a kid. Wasn't Fireman Frank from the Salt Lake station as well?
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1434) 11 years ago
Yup, I remember that too.

"Let's all go to LA GOOOOOOON!"

"Come on to lagooooooon."
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1682) 11 years ago
I spent many an hour watching "Harvey and Cannonball".

FH
supporter
Hotel Balderdash!
supporter
Posted by Wayne White (+267) 11 years ago
I remember my dad trying to tap into the cable system for a freebie, that was in 1957
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4457) 11 years ago
Kids those days...