Posted by Morhead (+116) 16 years ago
Iran Intends to Expand Uranium Enrichment!!!!

Does this mean that we need to watch the news for the next US invasion of air strikes?????????
Posted by Cheryl Thompson (+61) 16 years ago
Morhead

Yes. I believe this is going to get real ugly. I saw today that Condoleezza Rice has strongly recommended the UN take strong steps to end the Iranians from further development......UH-OH, Here we go again!!!!!!
Posted by Salli (Scanlan) Starkey (+241) 16 years ago
They could just wait for us to forget what it was like and let our guard down, or they can just start a rumor and watch us run around like chickens. with .. Their .. heads .
Posted by deer_slayer (+481) 16 years ago
The question is...why do we want to stop them? Who are we to decide who gets nukes? It is this parental mentality that has most of the world hating us in the first place.
Deer Slayer

My Lord are you correct. We have no right to dictate the rest of the World, when we are as guilty as any one.....
Posted by Heath H (+647) 16 years ago
If not the United States, who?
Posted by J. Dyba (+1344) 16 years ago
My vote is on the Martians!
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6115) 16 years ago
I find it so ironic that the same people who act as though the 2nd Amendment is the ONLY amendment are the ones that hate the thought of Iran having nuclear weapons.

According to my unofficial copy of the NRA Indoctrination Manual, having guns is the only way to prevent a Bad Person from breaking into my house, killing me, violating my family and stealing my possessions. Guns are good because they provide a deterrent from a Bad Person doing this.

Let's extrapolate (expand to a reasonable conclusion, Rick) a bit:

By the NRA/GOP's logic, wouldn't the same thing apply when it comes to Iran developing nuclear weapons? After all, what is a nuclear weapon except a Very Big Gun? Shouldn't Iran have the right to defend themselves against any Bad Person that might break into their house (preemptively invade their country) try to kill the head of the household (aggressively facilitate a regime change/decapitate their command - kill their leaders, Rick) and violate their family (exploit their resources and economically enslave their people - take their oil, Rick)? Without a gun (nuclear weapon), what would prevent that from happening?

I know, I know, I'm just a pinko America-hating commie (liberal, Rick) for daring to think that something like that would EVER happen. The U.S. has never done anything like that before! The U.S. couldn't possibly be a Bad Person!

If Israel's nukes are the only thing keeping that country from being crushed, shouldn't Iran (whether we like them or not) have the same defense? The former Soviet Union was the most capable enemy the U.S. ever had and was infinitely more capable of destroying us had it wanted to. They didn't. Why? Because they weren't suicidal. Iran isn't either. If they want nukes, it's to protect themselves, not to attack us. They understand that using a nuke to attack us would result in their complete and utter annhilation. They're not stupid.

Here's a pretty good article covering some other points about Iranian nukes: http://www.antiwar.com/pena/?articleid=8844.
Brian

Thanks for sharing the article, and very well written post. I agree 100%
Posted by J. Dyba (+1344) 16 years ago
What I think a large concern is to many people is the driving force behind that nuclear power. Russia was a Communist state but that is still only a political agenda where as in Iran you have the leadership calling shots under a religious agenda.

From the official tourism site, of all places, for Iran.

"The Arabic word for "submission" to the will of the God (Allah), Islam is the name of the religion that originated in Arabia during the 7th century AD through the Prophet Mohammad. Followers of Islam are known as Muslims, and their religion embraces every aspect of life. They believe that individuals, societies and governments should all be obedient to the will of God as it is set forth in the Koran, which they regard as the word of God revealed to his Messenger, Mohammad."

I agree whole-heartedly that we should leave peaceful people alone and also agree that countries should have the ability to defend themselves. In the above case though, based on many Islamics views of America and how (oh god must resist urge to swear) badly our moronic president has screwed America's relationship with the Middle East I think it is prudent to be wary and even mindful of nuclear programs in these countries.

I will BOLDY UNDERLINE that point with the opinion that someone OTHER then our current administration should be responsible for steering us through these dangerous waters. If Dubya is allowed to continually advance whatever whacked, oil-driven, god fearing, good ole boy agenda he has planned it is not going to be pretty.

Honestly, when you look at the whole scenario objectively, there are only about 2 peaceful ways out of it, and neither is a route we'll see this President ever take and it's really kind of scary.

[This message has been edited by J. Dyba (edited 4/13/2006).]