Garfield School
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1671) 10 years ago
We hear and read enough criticism of the Miles City schools, both on this forum, and elsewhere, that I believe it is important to point out positive aspects of our local schools. Following that thought process, I would like to state that Garfield School is amazing!

After both being asked personally why our kids attend Garfield School (never mind that we actually live in the school district, the determining factor in why our children should attend the school) and overhearing other parents discuss why their kids would not attend Garfield School, I think public props are in order for the school.

Despite the public's perception of the school, this school has a first-rate teaching and support staff, both caring and professional in their dealings with the students, a principal who does an amazing job looking out for the children's interests and ensuring that, to the best of her ability, they have what is necessary to succeed, and a physical facility that is second to none in the city.

It has been a pure joy sending our children to Garfield School and I wish that more parents could see the school for its outstanding characteristics and not for its supposed sub-standard location and perceived low socioeconomic status. Hooray for everything that you do right Garfield School!
supporter
Posted by Simon Niece (+301) 10 years ago
I agree.
supporter
Posted by Dustin Lynam (+188) 10 years ago
I agree too Denise! We dont live in that school district and I choose to take my son all the way across town to Garfield.. That school and staff are terrific and I love how they have gone out of their way to help my hearing impaired son and go above and beyond to make sure he has a good education
sponsor
Posted by RandK (+459) 10 years ago
I completely agree!! I live in the Garfield school district but when we bought our house we made sure we purchased our house in the district that way we would never have a problem getting our children in Garfield school. When my son was in kindergarten I had to personally write a letter to the principal to make sure my son had a place in the class because there is only room for one class (with so many children in the district) and Garfield school did everything they could and my son got in!! They also informed me that once one sibling got in they other siblings automatically were placed in Garfield! My son loves the principal and every teacher he has ever had! I get very involved with my children schooling and whenever I have to talk to anyone with Garfield school they are the most pleasant helpful staff! The teaching staff always go out of their way to help their students!
I do believe though that Garfield students do deserve a new playground! I read somewhere that another school here in town is getting new playground equipment, well the equipment at Garfield school as been the same since my husband went to school there. So with that said I would like to see Garfield school get new playground equipment!!!
Posted by Josh Rath (+2305) 10 years ago
Seems they have changed over the years. Because when I attended, they were one of they worst schools in town...
Posted by MeiMei (+168) 10 years ago
Kudos to Garfield and their staff and to all of you who posted such kind words for them.

Just a quick note, I think Highland Park's new playground equipment funds are being done through fundraisers by parents and staff. If anyone out there knows for sure please post.
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+797) 10 years ago
This is true. The teachers have written grants and had a great fund raiser selling cookie dough, from a Montana Company. They made excellent presentations to the School Board since they needed board permission to do fund raisers in the community. They also have worked with the parents to design the facility. The teachers in this town are just awesome.
Posted by Vern (+77) 10 years ago
Yes, the parents and staff at Highland Park School have done many fund raising projects and have written grants for playground equipment. The donations that they have received have also been greatly appreciated. Phase one is about ready to be ordered and they hope to have enough money raised to complete the project by fall.
Posted by stacy regan (+114) 10 years ago
Very well stated Denise,, I couldn't agree with you more.