Ordinance 1209
Posted by chris a peterson (+31) 11 years ago
This affects only new dispencary applications. There will be no new dispencaries authorized by the city of Miles City for now, and it is unclear for how long. Those approved for Medical Marajuana are not affected. Dispencaries which received approval will not be closed. I went to my first City Council meeting. I had my own curiosities to satisify. The contraversy surrounding this issue at our city level is caused by the inablity of higher government to send clear and consice guidelines, and not by our city leaders. Issues like zoning were not even considered when this first came to pass. That is a powerful word to have not been considered in its original conception. I can say it was made as clear as they (city cousilpersons) could make it that those who benifit medically and to those who provide it are at this moment ok. Apparently there is concern by many these rights would be taken away. There are always those who take advantage of the system. Please act responsible. Albeit 30 years ago, I lost my license to a DUI. Know there are consequences for your actions. I would like to add I have nearly 30 years sobriety. That action has also had consequences...but i definitely prefer this set of consequences than what the alternative had to offer.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6172) 11 years ago
Please learn how to spell dispensary.
Posted by ron h (+57) 11 years ago
this aint spelling class
Posted by Joe Smity (+109) 11 years ago
Would someone post the text of the ordinance so we can see what it reads?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15082) 11 years ago
Maybe the ordinance doesn't apply to alternate spellings.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4455) 11 years ago
He got ordinance correct.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11978) 11 years ago
As the chair of the zoning commission, I am familiar with 1209. IF it passes, which won't be for several weeks due to the procedural process, then the zoning commission will undertake a study to determine what and if zoning should do in regards to MMJ dispensaries.

It is all still up in the air because studies cost money and I'm not sure how the zoning commission, which is an all-volunteer board with minimal budget, would undertake the project. I'm not even sure WHAT studies we would do.

Then we may or may not make a recommendation to the Council for zoning requirements for dispensaries.
Posted by Joe Smity (+109) 11 years ago
"It is all still up in the air because studies cost money and I'm not sure how the zoning commission, which is an all-volunteer board with minimal budget, would undertake the project. I'm not even sure WHAT studies we would do."

So if I read this right Amorette, the council pushed this to you folks on the zoning commission to undertake a study, but don't define what kind of study they want done nor do they authorize any money with which to undertake this study?

So the council washes their hands of the issue. They escape blame for inaction by saying they don't have a recommendation from the zoning commission. They don't give the zoning commission the tools needed in order to produce a recommendation, thereby effectively killing this thing "in committee", without actually doing anything.

Nice. Local government at it's finest. Imagine what they'd do if they had to deal with something REALLY difficult?

[This message has been edited by Joe Smity (3/3/2011)]
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4950) 11 years ago
Perhaps other communities have done studies that you can get a copy of about various issues regarding MMJ...I am quite sure it has already been studied to death somewhere in this nation particularly California...
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+758) 11 years ago
Here, Joe, try this "study" that we came up with. Pick a pharmacist you trust, or know well, golf with, whatever, (in a town that has medical marijuana out of control) and ask his professional opinion as to how much less prescription pharmaceutical pain relief he sells nowadays, compared to before.
I found the answer rather interesting.
supporter
Posted by Bill Freese (+474) 11 years ago
Jeff, for those of us who do not golf, what answer did you get?
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3707) 11 years ago
From what I could see of the medical MJ system when I lived in California, it's more orderly, but just about as big of a joke as it is in Montana when it comes to the "medicine" part. Isn't it amazing that about 50% of college students in California suffer from "chronic pain"? This has to be the greatest tragedy of our generation and it correlates perfectly with the legalization of medical pot. Could it be that proximity to medical marijuana dispensaries causes chronic pain in young people? I think the answer is unequivocally YES.
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+758) 11 years ago
Hah. I don't golf either, my pharmacist friend is a fellow sports team board member, he loved my question and got on the phone to some associates the next morning. Apparently they all enjoyed the discussions that came up all over the state.
I won't share our results because I don't want be accused of comparing my present location to my favorite hometown. It might offend the golfers that we have six courses within twenty miles. Lots of things might be different there, maybe there's more boredom, or less pain, better taverns, funner places to ride dirt bikes.
No, this is your town's issue, and I think after the initial mistake, you're now handling it better than most. My only opinion on it, for what it's worth, or to start a fight more likely, is that I'd rather that people who need pot be perfectly honest about why, and work hard to keep it away from minors, who need their brains and ethics to develop into responsible citizens.
Good luck.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2103) 11 years ago
oooh ... I feel a chronic pain coming on.
Posted by chris a peterson (+31) 11 years ago
I understood it as our local government had heard rumblings from Helena that they were looking at zoning as well as a few other details left out of the first run of this idea of MMJ, which wasnt a total loss but was quite a disaster. When something as big as Zoning issues were not considered, the whole process of mmj needs review. So considering this is highly likely, why would local counsilpersons even consider new dispensary applications? I dont think that as passing the buck. Thanks Wendy for pointing that out. Had you not done so, someone else would have. So now i know how to spell potatoe...lololol
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11978) 11 years ago
The ordinance will be discussed at tomorrow's city council meeting. The zoning commission has a number of questions after our meeting today and I will be bringing them up. There are considerable specifics that have not be dealt with in this ordinance.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15082) 11 years ago
chris a peterson wrote:
So now i know how to spell potatoe...lololol

Or not.