Mayor Grenz resigning???
Posted by gypsykim (+1557) 16 years ago
Rumor has it that City Council has asked for the mayor's resignation and he is tendering it--press conference today. Does anyone know???
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15369) 16 years ago
A RUMOR in Miles City. No Way!!!
Posted by Eric Brandt (+846) 16 years ago
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6121) 16 years ago
Boy, that's a smoking gun if I've ever seen one - wow! The document even has Mr. Grenz's name on it. And from such a reputable source, too! I'm convinced!

Particularly, I like the site's link to "rumage sales." Rumage - sounds tasty. Is that some sort of alcoholic cheese?

I am so happy that the site is dedicated to the news and nothing but the news. Editing be damned! ("Rehburg" and "Partrige?" Come on! Have some pride in your work! If you can't at least be professional or have some rudimentary knowledge or sense of what's news-worthy and what's tripe, could you at least run spell check?)
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2816) 16 years ago
It is interesting to see that the article in the Miles City Star this evening backs up the link given above. I'm wondering that if the City Council is not asking for his resignation, what may actually be going on. I guess we have to wait until Tuesday to find out.
Posted by J. Dyba (+1339) 16 years ago
Yea Eric!

How dare you mispell some words in the process of
Providing the site in the first place
filming the City Council meetings - for free
Converting them into a format that is manageable to download - for free
Hosting said recorded meetings in a manner that provides easy retreival and viewing - for free
trying to get webcam set up on main street - for free

HAH! HOW DARE YOU!

you language heathen you.. tsk. tsk.
supporter
Posted by Dona Stebbins (+820) 16 years ago
Eric, you provide a fine service for Miles City, enabling those of us who no longer live there to see what is going on with city government. I am usually a HUGE quibbler about language and spelling, but (and that's a BIG but) you can slide.
Mr. Dyba is right on target, and I'm afraid Mr. Reed failed to recognize a Miles City Council agenda. I believe he also failed to note that spell check doesn't correct proper nouns.
Brian - could you tell me where the misspelling is so that I can correct it?

Words look different at 3am when you're up against a deadline. In my sleep-deprived stupor It is quite likely that a few words slipped by.

Thanks for the opportunity to improve the site.

Eric
I found the Partrtidge and Rehberg errors and corrected them.

Unfortunately, the Rumage Sale will have to embarrass me for a few more days while I find the time to remake the graphics.

I've been embarrassed before.

As Dona mentioned, that is a scan of the Meeting Agenda provided to the public at City Hall this afternoon.

Speaking of pdf's... I have been trying to figure out how to link the agenda link in the navigator directly to a page in the agenda packet but have not been having any luck with it. Any savvy web folks out there have any experience with this?

Thanks

Eric

[This message has been edited by Eric Brandt (edited 4/7/2006).]
Dona - Believe it or not, I could read the attached .pdf document that indicated it was a City Council agenda. My "smoking gun" observation was directed at the fact that all the actual agenda said was "Butch Grenz." If that's all it takes for someone to make the leap from two words on a sheet of paper to "I hear the mayor is going to be asked to resign!" then I feel my mocking tone was justified.

That said, it may very well be the case that Mr. Grenz will be asked to resign during the meeting. I would prefer to wait until that time to make any rash assumptions, however. Rumor-mongering remains one of Miles City's three biggest problems.

As far as my comments concerning the Miles City Voice website go, my main issue is with comments such as: No representatives from any other media source were observed. As such, the Miles City Voice will provide this summary here. (Wed, Feb 15, 2006) and Shipley wrote condemning Rehberg and praising Grenz. Although Grenz may sometimes get angry, The Bible, he states, allows for anger as denoted by Jesus' actions agains the money changers in the temple. Never the less, Grenz is honest and tells it like it is. (Wed, Feb 15, 2006)

The reason I question these comments isn't because I have particularly strong feelings about Mr. Grenz, Mr. Shipley or Mr. Brandt. Where my problem lies is with the self-promotion in the first comment (journalistically improper and less-than-tertiary to the story Mr. Brandt was attempting to present). My issue with the second comment is that, without any quotations, a reader can't know for certain if the words are Mr. Shipley's or an editorialization on the part of Mr. Brandt.

Consider it constructive criticism. It certainly wasn't on par with the worst feedback I ever received for a story (that I "single-handedly cast a dagger into the heart of today's youth").

Dyba - Free is noble, but I don't believe it's a stretch for one to expect a certain degree of editing. Tell me when I ever said that I wasn't getting my money's worth. The cost (or lack thereof) of the Miles City Voice's services is a non-point. The quality of them (or the quality of anything anyone provides) should be.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (edited 4/7/2006).]
Posted by J. Dyba (+1339) 16 years ago
You catch more flies with Honey, or so I've heard. Your concern for the editorial well-being of Mr. Brandt's webpage is understandable, however the manner in which you chose to make comments is uncalled for giving the circumstances of its existence.

"Hey Eric, the work you are doing is great! I think what you've put together there is an awesome resource for Miles City and a positive contribution to the general political consciousness of the community. I just wanted to point out that I feel you could do a bit more to add to the journalistic integrity of the page and would be more then happy to make a few suggestions if you want to take the time to email me. Thanks and keep up the good work!"

That just took me 15 seconds to write and conveyed the exact same message that you provided.

This doesn't even take into account that he doesn't claim to be a journalist, just a group of people trying their best to enlighten their neighbors. It's like the folks on crossfire trying to assassinate the character of the daily show as a news program when it was obviously a satirical format. Your words reek of "holier then thou" and while I'm sure it's frigging awesome you wrote for the Miles City Star, I would expect that you'd want to wait to have your opinion solicited.

"Consider it constructive criticism" Consider what? This?

"I am so happy that the site is dedicated to the news and nothing but the news. Editing be damned! ("Rehburg" and "Partrige?" Come on! Have some pride in your work! If you can't at least be professional or have some rudimentary knowledge or sense of what's news-worthy and what's tripe, could you at least run spell check?)"

Yea, real constructive.

That said, I would agree you do have a background that could contribute positively to what Mr. Brandt is trying to accomplish. I would even go so far as to wager that if you were to offer your input on his content, current and future, he would accept that input and thank you for it. I'm sure he wouldn't be able to compensate you for it but, free is easy peezy right?

[This message has been edited by J. Dyba (edited 4/8/2006).]
Perhaps I was a bit harsh. Still, I don't think that there should be a direct relationship between cost and a certain degree of attention to detail. Whether a person charges for a service or offers it for free, there is a certain standard to be maintained. Call it quality control, value, utility, whatever you like.

Free is good. Quality is better. Free plus quality is better yet.
founder
Posted by Chad (+1765) 16 years ago
Having spoken to a council member that I find to be sincere and honest I can say that it is expected that Mr. Grenz is going to turn in his resignation at the Tuesday meeting.

I would rather see Butch learn to bite his tongue, put thought ahead of speech, and complete his term of office. He may not be blessed with a silver tongue, but he is sincere and straight forward. What you see is what you get.

I find that quality refreshing with all the politicians and bureaucrats that talk to the lawyers, advisers, and cronies before coming up with an idea, only to have the idea be "we'll take that under consideration" or "we'll have to send that to committee".
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12372) 16 years ago
What I want to know is what does Butch have against Lissa Powers? I knew why he disliked Brent Christopherson but I never quite got a hold of why he disliked the Police Chief. What did she do that was so horrible that he dedicated so much effort to attacking her?
Posted by MR (+399) 16 years ago
She is a woman. She has brains.
Posted by Kacey (+3161) 16 years ago
You might ask him point blank. See what he says. If it's personal then he should have not used his position of power. If it's professional then it needs to come out for all to know.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10255) 16 years ago
"Miles City Mayor Expected To Resign"
BILLINGS GAZETTE
April 9, 2006
http://www.billingsgazett...-mayor.txt
Brian,

I would encourage your assistance with the project. Perhaps a little relief and a second eye would improve the quality.

I donate about 40 hours per month to the project and any help you can provide would be greatly welcome.

You can call me at 232-4000

Thanks, Eric
Lissa Power testified on Brent Christopherson's behalf. Furthermore, she spoke out against the Mayor's Comments regarding Joy Flemming. It was after that meeting that the mayor switched gears on Reddick. Prior to that event, Butch was working to have Reddick removed from the force. He even told one officer not to worry about his job because Reddick will be fired soon. Then, following that (joy flemming) meeting, he admitted to at least one council member that he saw Reddick as a tool to get rid of the Chief and changed gears in support of him.

Butch needed to get rid of the Chief because SHE was smart and unwilling to yield to discrimination - that made her very dangerous.

Unfortunately, that decision will further cost the City money and trouble. His resignation does not change the events or the fact that the Council allowed the mal-behaviors to continue. It would have been far less dangerous for us all if Butch had just changed his behavior a little.

Furthermore, it appears that Butch has not meet the requirements of the Brent Christopherson settlement and that may rear it's ugly head again before too long... That's all I know about that.

It is important to note that the Council had not behaved appropriately either. They had several opportunities to stop much of this and failed to do so. The HR meetings have been a joke as well as several others. NOW is the time to let those folks know that they need to start thinking before they act. The rules are simple and need to be followed. This is only the beginning - it will still be a long road to healing.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2816) 16 years ago
Butch Grenz did resign as Mayor of Miles City this evening. If the crew gets to Billings in time, it will be on 10pm news on Q2. I hear that milescityvoice.com will hopefully have it for webcast by midnight tonight (Tuesday).
Posted by Gene Keller (+46) 16 years ago
After having followed all the news about Butch Grenz and all that he has done or has not done, one can only assume that there are to many whinners in Miles City. The citizens of the town elected him because you must have wanted to fix all the issues that you were upset about pre Butch and then when he tried to get you all on track you fought him or his ideas. Having known Butch for over 40 years I personally think he could have gotten the job done with the support of the people that elected him, but then I don't know all the facts. Just what I read in Your Bias Newspaper. In closing don't elect people you can't or won't support.
supporter
So is there an acting mayor?
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5096) 16 years ago
Richard:

Why don't you go back to MC and be the acting mayor?

I'm sure it would be interesting!
supporter
Thanks... I will pass.

Besides I just finished moving this past week into a new house. The thought of moving again is painful.

BTW If you this about this situation long enough it gives new meaning to the phrase "the Powers that be"

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (edited 4/12/2006).]
founder
supporter
Mark Ahner, as president of the Council, is acting mayor until the next election cycle.

Amorette

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (edited 4/12/2006).]

Posted by Shannon Lamon (+29) 16 years ago
Did it ever occur to anyone that the problems with the Chief of Police arose from failure to do her job properly? Very few people in Miles City probably know the "true" story behind all this and my opinion is that the police force hasn't been properly run since probably Jim Certain or Charlie Birchie. Mr.Grenz may not use the most professional approach to some issues; however, he is not the original cause of the chief's problems. Oh, and one more thing, Miles City does need some changes and people need to realize that there will be some unhappy citizens/employees in the process. Miles City will be better for it in the end. I think it is sad that Miles City has run Mr. Grenz out of office. I hope your next mayor has enough balls to get things done!
founder
supporter
Interestingly, twenty five years ago, Jim Certain was roundly loathed by much of the city and police force and there were law suits and threats of firings. History repeats. . .

Anyway, if you know the "true" story (and you are aware that putting quotation marks around something means you are speaking sarcastically or tongue in cheek), why aren't you reporting it to the authorities. If a police office has committed malfeasance or incompetence, produce the evidence to the committee on safety and get something done.

Or if you are are just passing on the lastest "rumor," then . . .mumble mumble my friend's mother's next door neighbor told me that she heard from a reliable source that aliens had landed in slough! Oh, and Costco is going in on the old KATL site.

founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10255) 16 years ago
For those who don't get a chance to read the Star until they update the online edition:

"Embattled Miles City Mayor Quits"
By The Associated Press
BILLINGS GAZETTE
April 13, 2006
http://www.billingsgazett...-mayor.txt
Posted by William S. (+73) 16 years ago
Since, in my estimation, Shannon would have been approximately 10 years old during Jim Certain's tenure 25 years ago, I would find it hard to believe that she would have any first-hand knowledge of whether the department was "properly run", other than the opinions passed on to her by her father.

I find it laughable that we are calling back to this glorious time in the police department, when very questionable behavior was routinely exhibited by officers and their supervisors. There sure were a lot of extracurricular activities going on during shift time for a "properly run" department.

Yes, enough citizens of Miles City voted for Butch (although that gives rise to a heated discussion as to whether it was actually a show of support for Butch or a lack of support for his opposition), however, this does not give the man a clean slate to behave how he sees fit. Being "old school" is not justification for barbaric behavior. You cannot treat anyone the way he treats people in this day and age. His track record of keeping employees at his own establishments should be testament to this fact.

By the City Council allowing this man to continue treating city employees in this manner, it itself is culpable. Why don't his supporters understand this? The ends do not always justify the means. He had been given many chances to correct his behavior (you think the mini-scandal over his vulgar phone message on the Fire Chief's answering machine would have been enough for him to step back and analyze his behavior), and yet he chose to continue to conduct himself as mayor in the same way he treats people in his personal life. When is enough enough? When do we draw the line and say that it is no longer acceptable? I'm sure Ms. Lamon would not have been agreeable to, nor her father understanding of, her being treated in this manner had she been the target of his comments.

Although I believe that Butch had some good ideas, and was successful in implementing them, you simply cannot behave any which way you choose in a work environment. A level of professional decorum is essential.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+18248) 16 years ago
Count me as another who thinks it is a sad day that Butch quit. He basically was elected on a platform of trying to reduce government and spending in a poor community whose spending was way beyond their means. In part he was successful in achieving many of those goals, if the story in the paper is correct.

I think poor Butch didn't understand how difficult it is to get rid of all the dead weight in government. In the private sector, you simply hand them the pink slip. In the government, there are all sorts of procedures, protocols, documentation, blah blah blah, that you have to go through to can some lazyass's butt. (It seems that many of the posters here are enamored of all the red tape and paliamentary procedures, especially Mr. Brandt). Ultimately this leads to the lawsuits and the mayor's resignation.

So Miles City continues its inexorable decline into dust. Why can't you be more like Glendive?