founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12605) 12 years ago
WHOO-EEEE. Good news.

"The King's Speech" opens as the first show on Friday at the Montana. And the Film Festival, with a line-up that includes "Black Swan," "127 Hours," "Rabbit Hole," and other quality work starts a week after that.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2852) 12 years ago
AWESOME
founder
supporter
Barring disaster, I am IN LINE on Friday evening nice and early.
supporter
Posted by annie221 (+250) 12 years ago
I was wondering when the shows would be announced. It sounds wonderful as usual. People don't know what they are missing when they don't go to these shows. I am never disappointed.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 12 years ago
The King's Speech is excellent. Everyone should go see it. It's only rated R for some foul language that's treated in a humorous way. I took my 15 year old and she loved it.

But if you're going to 127 Hours be prepared for gruesomeness. The guy cuts his own arm off, ya know.

[This message has been edited by Wendy Wilson (3/2/2011)]

supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9508) 12 years ago
So, what did she think of the Black Swan?
supporter
That's one we won't be letting her watch just yet. It just illustrates the ridulousness of the MPAA rating system.

BTW, she won't be seeing 127 Hours yet either.

founder
supporter
Even the Queen didn't mind seeing her father say "the Queen Mother of All Swear Words" so I think it is okay for anyone old enough to know what the word is and when it is appropriate and when it is NOT appropriate.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9508) 12 years ago
That's strange, I heard there was a real mother/daughter bonding scene in it.
supporter
Huh?
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+498) 12 years ago
Amorette - are you getting the R version or the PG-13 version?

For those who don't know, the film company is releasing a version where all the F-words are "blanked" out. It's stupid....they are going to destroy two pivotal scenes in the movie! It should have been rated PG-13 from the start.

I'm not a big user of curse words but the words in this movie didn't bother me at all. I only dislike profanity when it's gratutitous and unneccessary -- in some movies, it's an improvement.
supporter
Exactly. The swearing was actually an intregral part of the plot. It really doesn't bother me if that's the case.
founder
supporter
Use the F word once, it's PG-13. Use it twice, it's an R. The rating system makes NO sense. At all. Even a little bit.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+18469) 12 years ago
The director should have had the King say, "Procreate, procreate, procreate, procreate, procreate...oh, bloody procreate!"

Then all would have been well.
founder
supporter
Sadly, the people I planned to attend The King's Speech with all hab terrible cowds so I may not get to see it until Sunday. Sigh.
Posted by Steve Allison (+975) 12 years ago
We went Sunday and the movie was great. Easy to see why it won the Oscars it did.
Amorette Allison wrote:
Use the F word once, it's PG-13. Use it twice, it's an R.

Even that isn't set in stone...remember the movie "Tootsie?" It had Dustin Hoffman saying "f you" to Bill Murray at least twice, maybe three times and it was PG!

Amorette Allison wrote:
The rating system makes NO sense. At all. Even a little bit.

You're in the minority with that opinion -- every time they do a survey, the vast majority of people judge it Useful or Very Useful.

Personally I do think it has its limitations but people expect too much of it. As far as the F word goes, they have to draw a line somewhere...don't they?
supporter
I think Tootsie was made before the PG-13 rating existed. Since it didn't rate an R, PG was the default.
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1664) 12 years ago
Yes, I realized this as I let my nine year old watch the original Clash of the Titans, which was rated PG. Apparently, all the times I saw it on television, I didn't realize I was watching the edited version.
Wendy - at the time of "Tootsie," even one "f bomb" was supposed to get an R rating but somehow that movie slipped under the rating radar.
supporter
Really? I don't think that was a hard and fast rule. The MPAA does not reveal its rating criteria so one is never really sure. The organization's secrecy allows it to be arbitrary and inject the members' own personal values into the system. This is one of the problems with the whole thing.
founder
supporter
I love the fact that the glimpse of a woman's nipple causes hysterics but you can main and murder and that is just fine for the kiddies.

The King's Speech shouldn't be R rated for a dirty word when the word is being used as an example of how speech therapy works. But I know if someone's little innocent heard the word for the first time (yeah, right) it would be the end of civilization as we know it.
supporter
Also, part of the problem is that people don't heed the warnings anyway. There were so many elementary school-aged children at the P-13 Lord of the Rings when it came out I could have missed half the movie trying to count them. Sure, that was just gore and blood. But if one of the characters had said, "Procreate you!" parents would've gone nuts. It's just stupid.
It's not about damaging kids, anyway; it's just about people objecting to hearing something they themselves don't want to hear. For some reason some people lack the ability to let something go in one ear and out the other.

[This message has been edited by Forsyth Mike (3/9/2011)]

[This message has been edited by Forsyth Mike (3/9/2011)]
founder
supporter
HUGE numbers of kids went to the Lord of the Rings and the recent Harry Potter movies. These are not children's movies but lazy parents want the kids out of the house for a few hours or don't want to hire a babysitter. I am regularly astonished by the parents bringing five-year-olds to R-rated movies because they figure the kid will fall asleep and it will be all right.
supporter
Ahem, as we've discussed before on this forum, the ratings system is a guideline for parents to follow, not a hard and fast rule. My twelve year old has watched many a PG-13 movie, including all of the Harry Potter movies, the reasons for which having nothing to do with needing a babysitter for a few hours, as her father and I were there right along side her. She has also watched a few R rated movies, when the issue is violence, especially violence in historical context. An example would be The Patriot.

I'm curious Amorette, though your posts are most always entertaining, what purpose does it serve for you to make sweeping generalizations? You do this quite often, so I figure there must be some benefit to you.

For example, the conclusion that:

Child under 13 sees a PG-13 Harry Potter film = Child of a lazy parent
founder
supporter
I'm a bitcharoonatooni.

I work at the movie theater and I see cute little five-year-old girls in pink coats and ponytails being brought to R-rated movies. That disturbs me. I see small children being carried out of the auditorium crying because the movie was far too upsetting for them. That disturbs me.

Are all parents lazy? Are all kids banned from violent movies? No, but I can guarantee there are children who should be left at home and not brought to the latest special effect spectacular.

Oh, and the Patriot is terrible history. Really terrible. I don't know what Mel Gibson has against historical accuracy but he does seem to like to make movies 'based' on history that are pretty much fiction.

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (3/9/2011)]
supporter
I don't really think that's what Amorette meant, Denise. I think she was thinking more about folks taking their 8 year old to a PG-13 movie, not a 12 year old. It IS about knowing where your own kid is at developmentally and realizing that while the ratings system is whack, there is a place for common sense. Did I get it right, Amorette?

Oops. Amorette beat me to the punch.

[This message has been edited by Wendy Wilson (3/9/2011)]
supporter
I couldn't agree more. It is most certainly about each individual child's level of development. My 12 year old is more mature than many 18 year olds, and has been for quite some time. Does that mean all 12 year olds are equally as mature? Not at all. I think rather than making sweeping statements, saying that "some" are there to watch an inappropriate movie because their parents are looking for a way to entertain them for a few hours is probably the smarter approach to take. I have seen the children you speak of, as I am an avid theater-goer. The babies are the ones that amuse me.

I also agree with the historical accuracy in regards to The Patriot, and really most movies in general. I didn't say it was factually accurate. I just do not have a problem with violence, especially violence with purpose vs. gratuitous violence, for my children. Keep in mind, in almost all instances, as with books, I have either seen or read the movie/book for myself to determine whether or not I feel it is appropriate for MY child. I do not care to rely on a board of strangers with an arbitrary decision-making skill set to tell me what is appropriate for my child. Probably the reason I put very little thought or faith into the rating system.

As an edit, I must add that I also do not have a problem with strong language in a movie, and the effect that it has on the rating, when deciding what is appropriate for my child. I've always found this subject fascinating...the power we give to words and the assemblage of letters in a particular order. F**k is unforgivable, but fudge, when expressed with the exact same sentiment, is perfectly acceptable. I think it is more about knowing when and where cursing is and is not appropriate.

[This message has been edited by Denise Selk (3/9/2011)]
supporter
If there's one thing I've learned in life it's that the adage about sticks and stones is complete and utter rot. Words are the most powerful weapons in the human arsenal.
supporter
I agree, but it is the intent behind the words, not the assemblage of letters, that is so powerful. If I say something completely hateful to you, it matters not whether I throw in a sh*t or a shoot in the process.
Amorette: If it makes you feel any better, the problem of inappropriate kids at R-rated movies is definitely not unique to Miles City...we see the same thing here. In fact some of the worst movies attract some of the MOST kids...with parents in tow, saying "it's not really THAT bad, is it?"

Does it damage anyone though? There is one lady here in town who raised a couple of her grandkids. She brought those kids to every movie we showed, ratings be damned, didn't matter a bit to her. Did the kids turn out to be disturbed? No, in fact the granddaughter went to work for us a couple of years ago, is going to be valedictorian of her class this year, is one of the nicest and brightest people you'd ever want to meet. So I think it depends more on upbringing in general than on what the little darlings see at the movies a couple of hours a week.