The problem with Washington School
Posted by faithingod (+8) 10 years ago
How is it that the teachers and staff at Washington Middle School can be so cruel and discouraging to their students? Don't get me wrong there are a few that are good teachers and actually care about the students but the majority just don't. Teachers that call their students dirty names during class, refuse to offer help to struggling students and play favorites are unexceptable.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2647) 10 years ago
Perhaps some faith in God would help.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2313) 10 years ago
Hmm... I was there just a few short years ago.. and I seem to remember only one teacher I disliked, and I don't remember a teacher calling me a dirty name, nor anyone else. I think it's in your head.
The only thing that has kept me sane is my faith in God. I am sorry to say that things are this bad now Josh. It is not me that these things are happpening to, but a child very close to me. I have tried talking to the teachers and the principal but nothing changes.
Posted by Kacey (+3155) 10 years ago
If there are problems you should request meeting with the principal, the teachers and with the head of the school district.
supporter
Posted by Colette Butcher (+400) 10 years ago
GOD MADE TEACHERS . . .
Author Unknown

God understood our thirst for
knowledge, and our need to be led
by someone wiser;
He needed a heart of compassion,
of encouragement, and patience;
Someone who would accept
the challenge regardless of the
opposition;
Someone who could see potential
and believe in the best in others . . .
So He made Teachers

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I think most would agree it takes special people to work in schools regardless of the students ages. I say if there is a problem schedule a meeting with the principal and staff in question rather than bashing on milescity.com. Just a thought!!!
Posted by mercy me (+134) 10 years ago
What ever you do...don't give up/back down. If you don't care for or take care of you're own who will? It is remarkable the imprint that can be left on an impressionable child. Life long. Be the voice the child needs/deserves/doesnt have.
Posted by Cynthia A. (+192) 10 years ago
we had an issue with a teacher this past year at an undisclosed school. It was a very serious issue in our eyes of a teacher speaking to one of our children in a manner that was completly inappropriate. Before calling the teacher directly I called the district office and asked what the chain of command for dealing with these type of issus was. I was told very specifically if the matter was not dealt with in an acceptable manner and in an expedient manner that I then should call back and would be put in contact with the superidentent. It was dealt with in a serious and extremely timely manner. I would not quit dealing with the issue until you had the awnser you need and an action is taken. It is not ever right for a teacher to be demeaning to a student in any way shape or form, and they should not use explatives in any way. I pray this does get worked out for you and your family.
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and ideas. We have scheduled appointments with the staff, principal, and teachers involved. It did not turn out very well. My child is now known as a trouble maker with the teachers. Comments like, "I'm sure I will be hearing from your Mom" are made. When we went to the Superintendent, he promised to make things better, but all that resulted was the principal not returning phone calls and avoiding my child. So please don't judge me for posting on here, I am simply going public with the mistreatment of students at this school and the dealings we have had with it's faculty. I know we are not the only ones who have had problems.
Posted by fancycat (+19) 10 years ago
If this is the attitude of the principal, teacher's and the school district as a whole and you have done all you can for the education and well being for your child...then it is time to pull him/her out and put him/her on the bus to Rosebud or somewhere where you and your child will be respected.
Posted by jw (+118) 10 years ago
"So please don't judge me for posting on here, I am simply going public with the mistreatment of students at this school and the dealings we have had with it's faculty."

I only have an issue with your above generalized statement about more than one student being mistreated. Keep to the point that you have had issues with only your child. Don't make it sound as if all students are being emotionally harmed in the school setting at Washington Middle School.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14884) 10 years ago
There is a very large void here called "the other side of the story". Rushing to judgement should be avoided.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11610) 10 years ago
Ditto what Mr. Bonine said.
Posted by Monet (+158) 10 years ago
I too have to agree that most teachers and definately the principal of Washington Middle are rude and nasty to the students. Calling Mr. Plowman only makes things worse! I can not wait till my child is out of that school!
Posted by dmbohlman (+19) 10 years ago
I concur with Ms. Allison and Mr. Bonine. How can you say a few of the teachers are good but the majority are not? Have you talked to a majority of the teachers, or seen any of them in there work environment? It seems like your problem should be directed at one teacher, and one administrator.

[This message has been edited by dmbohlman (3/2/2011)]
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9071) 10 years ago
well, they are union...
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+892) 10 years ago
Don't you wish you could be a mouse in the corner of that classroom...
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4456) 10 years ago
Mr. Plowman is the principal? Wow.
supporter
Posted by Mrs. M (+719) 10 years ago
I don't think it is your child who is thought of as the troublemaker. In the first place, you talk to the teacher first. Calling the district office does nothing except that they may check back on the resolution of the situation. If the teacher isn't responsive, talk to the principal or ask if he/she could join you in the conference. I hear nothing from you about what behaviors your child is exhibiting to warrant this negative attention. The junior high tends to hold kid's accountable for their behaviors and efforts. A poor effort in school or a negative or disrespectful attitude will not be condoned by the teachers or staff. As a retired teacher I find it hard to believe that so many of those educators and principals would be guilty of ignoring the deliberate abuse of a student. This is a difficult age where they are no longer grade school. God Bless those junior high teachers.
Posted by Gm. Bonine (+93) 10 years ago
I guess things have changed in the last 15 years since i went to that school. It used to be that kids did what they were told, got over it, or settled it behind the gym. In the end it was chalked up to life experience.

[This message has been edited by Gm. Bonine (3/3/2011)]
Posted by Levi and Destiny (+164) 10 years ago
You can send your child to Kinsey School!
founder
supporter
Actually, sending a child to a school outside of their district can involve tuition since that child's parents aren't paying taxes in that district. Especially if you switch counties.

Frankly, I have never seen a case where the problem child didn't turn out to be the problem.
Posted by Kacey (+3155) 10 years ago
Again Amorette,
Do you have children?????????????

Having raised my children in the Miles City district I can say that it is NOT always the child! The high school had a teacher who felt he could yell at all of his students that they were going to end up working at McDonalds because everyone flunked his test.

Guess what? He hadn't taught that subject yet. The students had no way of passing! It was the teacher's fault!

I personally went and spoke with him face to face. I told him that his behavior was inappropriate and that if I ever heard he had spoken to a student that way again I would take it directly to the school board.

And no...he did not retaliate on my child.

And Amorette, both my children have masters degrees and are teachers. It's people like you making comments that let poor teachers get by with bad behavior.
Posted by eeyoor (+57) 10 years ago
The whole favoring students is one of CCDHS's big issues my kids were treated better at Washington than at the high school. If you have THE right name you will go far and be able to play sports, but if you don't have THE right name you can't play sports and don't get the treatment you should from a lot of the staff. They allow the favorites to do whatever they want text during class and the others are punished for breathing wrong. If you kid tells you they are getting picked n in the halls 9 times out of 10 they are telling the truth and nothing will get done cause they will say no proof.. Just my thoughts and experiences at the wonderful CCDHS...
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6173) 10 years ago
Amorette Allison wrote:
Frankly, I have never seen a case where the problem child didn't turn out to be the problem.

I have a tendency to believe the teacher over the child but I have encountered situations where it was definitely the teacher's issues, not the child's. My kid encounted a junior high spanish teacher who actually called her a spy because she walked into the classroom after school to meet a friend. The next year she was placed into that teacher's class and had all kinds of stories about how mean she was. I told her I'd move her but she wanted to stay. I actually had to threaten the teacher by contacting the principal to get her leave off. The rest of the year was fairly quiet. Then the teacher retired. I like to think I had something to do with that. She had no business in the classroom.

Once my brother had a third grade teacher who kept confiscating his wooden rulers, saying it was the school's. He told my mom that he lost them. Finally, he begged my mom to get him a plastic red one so that she couldn't continue to steal them. This teacher didn't like kids.
Posted by pooh (+31) 10 years ago
ya not had many problems with washington, but ccdhs is all about your name & if you have money. My son got hit with a hammer @ that school last week, go figure they are now kissing ass!
Posted by tjh (+136) 10 years ago
Don't send your kid to the country school! They DO NOT need anymore kids from town who "Are so unfairly treated by all the teachers!" I'm sick of hearing about little S*** heads being sent to the country schools then to rosebud becuase the teachers in MC are "Terrible"

No you don't need "the right" last name to get through CCDHS!
I didn't have the right last name and I made it just fine! My brother was holy hell for the school to deal with they NEVER took it out on me!

I beleive that there are teachers at WMS that will call names, they are probably well deserved to! I'm sick of little punk A** kids who thing they can get away with ANYTHING! I'm from the class of 09 I don't understand what the hell went wrong after my class left.

faithingod, why is it that the school resource officer moved to the junior high rather then the highschool? Maybe to stop the kids while they are still young?

To the parents of both boys and girls at WMS and now CCDHS is it not true that the last year or two the STD's have been running wild with your childrens age group (being 7th, 8th, and freshman)
Posted by Toni Rentschler (+1513) 10 years ago
Now that you are brings up STD's next will be teen pregnancy! BULL POOP! I will start there. I had my son 10 days after I graduated high school. I graduated with a 2.97. So just pass on all that.

There are teachers out there that aren't the greatest. But yes, there are students that arnet the greatest. There are two sides to everything. If you truely think that there is something wrong, I agree, keep at it. Fix it and keep contacting those who need to help you. If there is no responce localy there are others to contact.

With cameras in CCDHS, is there cameras in teh WMS yet? I know there are camers outside my sons school, Garfeild. But yes, inside is a little less desirable for safety. I walked in there the other day b.c I saw something I didn't like. THere was a older boy outside. He had walked around the building and came in teh back door. Walked through the whole school, lunch room in all. And out the front door. I went in b.c I am not to happy with people being in the school that dont need to be. There are many things that need to change here in the miles City schools. But it will always come down to budget. Do they really have the money and time to get more cameras? Do they have that money and time to give someone to look into what were are wanting to formaly complain about? Not really.
Posted by Charleen Schliep (+20) 10 years ago
Really? This whole town works that way. You only get ahead if you know someone. You only get treated with respect if you are a certain person or from a particular group.

So are you really surprised that nothing is being done with the crappy school district.

For goodness sakes I think there is only 1 or 2 schools with an actual kitchen to prepare a lunch. Everything is trucked over to the schools without a kitchen.

Miles City is set in the ways of the passed deal with it, leave, or make a stand. Either way quit blaming everyone else for bad choices your child may or may not have made.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6173) 10 years ago
Charleen Schliep wrote:
Really? This whole town works that way. You only get ahead if you know someone. You only get treated with respect if you are a certain person or from a particular group.

Unfortunately this is a hazard that comes with living in a small town. But there are plenty of kind-hearted people in Miles City who will treat you with kindness and respect if you have earned it. The trouble with some folk is that they think they deserve respect no matter how they behave. Or else they have been brought up with a chip on their shoulders and don't give others a chance before they act like jerks.
Posted by Charleen Schliep (+20) 10 years ago
Well put Wendy.
founder
supporter
Charleen Schliep wrote:
For goodness sakes I think there is only 1 or 2 schools with an actual kitchen to prepare a lunch. Everything is trucked over to the schools without a kitchen.

Oddly enough, I don't just schools by lunch ladies. I judge schools by student/teacher ratios, test results, attendance at school events, graduation rates, that sort of thing. Not lunch. Mind you, I went to school back in the old days when brown paper bags were still the standard and little old lady school teachers ruled the roosts.
supporter
Posted by ST (+261) 10 years ago
WMS has serious problems. There are more than a few poor quality teachers at that school. In my opinion some should be fired on the spot. I will not list any names, so don't ask. On many occassions I have heard middle school students come home and say (and yes I have middle school students of my own and many of their friends in and out of my house), "You wouldn't believe what teacher X said today." Some of the teachers berate the students with the use of cuss words, call the kids humiliating names, try to use fear and intimidation to get unruly kids to comply. This is absolutely unacceptable. Positive reinforcement is nonexistant.

And I have listened to other parents tell me their own horror stories of their child's experience at WMS. Some have tried to speak to the board, meet with the teachers and pricipal, etc., to no avail. Yes, your child will be singled out and receive flack from the teachers if you rock the boat, as they say. It's a sad situation at that school.

And if you want to look at test results, I remember receiving something in the mail at the beginning of this school year stating that WMS failed to meet adequate yearly progress 2 out of 5 years. I don't remember by how much or the years; but the fact remains the school failed to adequately teach the students.

Individual parents often feel hopeless when going up against an institution such as a small town school. The faculty are a tight knit group that protect their own, not the kids. A parent or child's word (especially from a child that may be having behavioral issues) against that of a teacher is not taken seriously and easily dismissed as whining or not a legitimate concern.

WMS needs cameras. The behavior of the children and teachers needs to be observed. Everyone needs to be held accountable for their actions, including the staff. Cameras will never be installed. Not due to the expense, but for the simple fact that the staff will not want to be monitored.
supporter
Posted by Nancy Drew (+284) 10 years ago
Put your problem situation in writing. Send a copy to the teacher, the principal, and the superintendent. Sign it and request resolution. It is not legal to name call students. If you do not get a response and continue to feel your child is not being treated well, file a lawsuit.
founder
supporter
Ignore those "failed to meet standards" things. They are the result of "No Child Left Behind" and are nonsense. However, if teachers are cursing or mocking children, it needs to be brought to the attention of the school board.
Posted by Bap (+49) 10 years ago
thats funny the only one that said anything about (lunch lady's) is you! Also, being from the "old days" you should know better than to be judging schools on, for instance their school events rather than appropriately judging them on having a suitable hot lunch program.
Posted by BD (+338) 10 years ago
I have heard this time and again about Washington School in the past there has been 5 to 10 students and families that I know that had problems there. Most got attorneys involved and then the problems seemed to disappear. Thats my advice. Hope things work out.
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+793) 10 years ago
You can always come to the school board. Ask the superintendent to be placed on the agenda ten days in advance of the board meeting, the second Tuesday of the month. This can be done in an executive session so as not to embarrass the child and to allow the teacher in question a fair hearing. And if any body would like to sit on the board pick up a petition at the school clerk's office and return it with at least 30 signatures by March 21st.
Posted by momofthree (+314) 10 years ago
My son had a problem with another student and Mr. Plowman resolved the issue right away.

I have been in the school when the bell rings and he and the teachers are all out in the halls monitoing the students activities all the time.

If you have problems you need to follow the order in which to resolve the problem. If you are unsure of this order you need to call and find out what steps you need to take.

My son had a horrible first year there but I think 7th & 8th grade is going to be tough where ever you go. My son always keeps a positive attitude and I have instilled in him good mannors and faith.

You can't go in screaming like a mother bear, that I learned. Take a deep breath, make an appointment, and go in and sit down and talk like adults.
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+793) 10 years ago
The OPI school review team (SRT)that assessed WMS had very positive things to say about Mr. Plowman and the school staff. They did multiple five minute observations in every class room at all different times, periods. If there was a teacher who consistently berated students It would have been noticed and noted,and reported. I have participated on SRT teams and know how thorough they are. Kudos to Mr. Plowman and the WMS Staff.

[This message has been edited by Elizabeth Emilsson (3/10/2011)]
Posted by BD (+338) 10 years ago
No matter what you do, it will be hard, you will hear good and bad. But I would pull my children out of any school where they are mistreated before sending them back if I didn't get answers to what I felt need to be done. Home School is an alternative and I have done this and it didn't hurt them at all they when on to highschool with no problem and college. You just have to be willing to accept that this is a way to over come problems.

[This message has been edited by BD (3/11/2011)]