How much snow?
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1529) 11 years ago
Just wondering how much snow you townies received. Too much wind to get a good measure in the valley.
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+520) 11 years ago
There is a flower pot in a place protected from the wind in front of my trailer that has a perfect mound on it that looks to be about 9" high. My honey swears there was about twice that on top of his truck. It doesn't look like there will be much travel today.
Posted by mtgman (+96) 11 years ago
Too much!
Posted by Ryan (+479) 11 years ago
I measured 10 inches out my front door.
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+520) 11 years ago
Yup, it's still snowing like crazy!
supporter
Posted by Suzanne (+190) 11 years ago
When I put the dogs out this morning the chihuahau disappeared in the snow on the steps. Potty pad in the tub today I think cause there is no way he is going back out there.
Posted by Bill Bloom (-311) 11 years ago
I had to push the back door open, to let the dog out. He jumped out into a big drift, just back and head showing, snow was blowing and twirling around , he looked at me for a moment , then came back in. Pretty sure he didn`t pee? Hard to say, with the wind blowing, but it looks like about 12 inches of fresh ---- .
Posted by Mayor (+139) 11 years ago
The City of Miles City Public Works crew was dispatched for emergency snow removal at 6:30 a.m. this morning. This amount of snow qualifies as a Level 2 Snow Emergency and only essential travel is advised.

For those who missed publication of the Snow Removal Policy in the Star at the beginning of the season, this is how we do it:
CITY POLICY DETERMINES SNOW REMOVAL PRIORITIES
MILES CITY, MT., JANUARY 5, 2010: Each year questions arise over how the City of Miles City manages snow removal, both during and after winter storms. Most commonly, residents and business owners want to know two things: How does the City prioritize snow removal? When will Public Works finally plow the street or alley in front of or behind my home or business? The answers to those questions are dictated by a Snow Removal policy that has been developed over several years of storm clean-up and street maintenance in Miles City.
PRIORITIES
The priorities for snow removal in Miles City include: Emergency Access, Child Safety Zones, and High Traffic Areas. The highest priority, Emergency Access, includes the Holy Rosary Hospital campus, the fire station, and law enforcement center.

Secondly, crews begin work within the City's Child Safety Zones in the following order: CCDHS, Lincoln School, Sacred Heart School, Highland Park School, Jefferson School, Washington Middle School, Garfield School, and Roosevelt School.

Next, crews turn their attention to High Traffic Areas downtown, including Main St., Bridge St., Fort St., N. Montana Ave. & Pleasant St.

It is only after these areas are clear that the City begins work in the neighborhoods, under the following priority:
 Pearl St. from Bridge to Strevell
 Stower St. from S. 8th St. to Strevell
 City limits to Otter St.
 Leighton Blvd. from Washington to Sewell
 Lake Ave. from Lincoln to Riverside
 Horizon Parkway from Haynes to Ponderosa
 Comstock St. from Strevell to Haynes
 Lincoln St. from Montana to Lake
 Cale Ave. from Main to Dickinson
 Center Ave. from Main to Pearl
 Dickinson St. from Strevell to MCC
 Eagle St. from S. 4th to Tompy
 Riverside St. from Lake to Merriam
 Washington St. from N. 7th to Leighton
 Marion St. from N. 3rd to N. 7th
 Merriam Ave. from Riverside to Edgewood
 Otter St. from Earling to Strevell
 Pacific Ave. from S. 4th to S. 8th
 Ponderosa Dr. from Horizon to Silversage
 Silversage Loop
 S. 4th St. from Pacific to Eagle
 S. 8th St. from Pacific to Stower
 Tatro St. from N. 7th to N. 3rd
 N. 3rd St. from Tatro to Marion
 Tompy St. from Eagle to Haynes
 Wilson St. from Strevell to Haynes
Low-traffic streets and allies are plowed at the discretion of the director of Public Works, according to resource capacity and public need after priority areas have been cleared.
URBAN TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM
Some Miles City thoroughfares, such as Main St., Valley Dr. E., Haynes Ave., and Hwy 59 N. are part of the MT Urban Transportation System and are maintained by MDT, according to state standards.
PEDESTRIAN-FRIENDLY
Miles City is grateful to those who have, on their own initiative, cleared neighborhood sidewalks for pedestrians. The mayor requests that property owners, managers or landlords remove snow from sidewalks, within 24 hours following a snowfall, to ensure safe pedestrian travel.

There's still more snow to fall. Stay safe.

Joe
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12389) 11 years ago
I would love to shovel my walk. However, my back and my husband's back barely survived shoveling out the driveway! I moved away from Bozeman to get away from this nonsense!
supporter
Posted by Bill Freese (+481) 11 years ago
Stuck the handle of the shovel into the snow on the sidewalk, which had been clear before. Marked the point and measured 13 gloved finger widths deep. This snow is so deep, children are starting to believe the stories we told them about how deep the snow was in Miles City when we were kids.
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+485) 11 years ago
We got about 9 inches to a foot in Forsyth from the latest storm depending on where you measure. I don't know how much we've gotten so far in the season but it's definitely more than any recent year.
Posted by mike newell (+350) 11 years ago
I heard that this winter its been record snow fall since 1969. Is there anyone that can verify this?
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Matt Smith (+796) 11 years ago
PEDESTRIAN-FRIENDLY
Miles City is grateful to those who have, on their own initiative, cleared neighborhood sidewalks for pedestrians. The mayor requests that property owners, managers or landlords remove snow from sidewalks, within 24 hours following a snowfall, to ensure safe pedestrian travel.

Unless of course it is a holiday...Then we will get to it when we get to it.
Posted by MR (+399) 11 years ago
The post offfice building on 7th hasn't been shoveled since they moved ! I think they are still the owners of the property !
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1439) 11 years ago
The post office is no longer in that grand, old building?

Where is the new PO and what's the plan for the old building?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15384) 11 years ago
They were evacuated from the PO due to the gasoline leak across the street at the short stop. They are currently in the old IGA/KMart building.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1439) 11 years ago
Ohhhhh... of course, I forgot. Thanks Richard.

I'm glad to know it's likely temporary (or at least hope). That's a great building.
Posted by GVC (+517) 11 years ago
How about some photos?

Bart?

MRH?

Anyone else?

I don't want anyone to feel too bad but our tulips are starting to come up here in Utah.

Gerald
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12389) 11 years ago
Steve took a photo or two. Maybe I'll get them posted. As for tulips, may I say Intercourse yourself.
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1529) 11 years ago
I heard that this winter its been record snow fall since 1969. Is there anyone that can verify this?

I am not sure how this would be verified. To my knowledge, there is not an official snow depth measuring station. Maybe some one has done it, on their own. NOAA was talking a few years ago about the possibility of putting one at Fort Keogh, but that was not in place before 2006. I am not sure about a more recent installation.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15384) 11 years ago
Maybe Gunnar can channel Cactus Plains for us....
Posted by DHinPH (+101) 11 years ago
I'm a CoCoRaHS (Community Collaborative Rain, Hail and Snow Network)observer 10 miles E of MC, in the Pine Hills. Checked my daily observation data from 11-1-10 to 2-24-11 I have recorded 50.9" of snowfall, with 5.34" of precipitation. Currently have 21.5" (average) on the ground with a core of 3.87" of moisture.
If anyone is interested in becoming an observation station please contact me and I can get you in touch with the network coordinators. We are really needing more observation stations in these rural areas: Treasure, Rosebud and Custer counties.
Dean 232-0485
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1907) 11 years ago
The good news is all that snow melt will lead to extra mosquitoes in the summer.
Posted by C (+9) 11 years ago
My husband and I agree that this is probably the most snow we've had since we moved here in Feb.'79, there was alot of snow when we got here from Cal.