Griz Football 2011
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 10 years ago
I just wanted to start this thread before mule train...

Woo hoo! The Grizzlies just got a certified pedigreed quarterback for this season!

http://missoulian.com/col...002e0.html
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5094) 10 years ago
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Nate Montana sucks.
supporter
//looks at Nate Montana photo

Let me amend my earlier statement.

Nate Montana sucks, I must say.
supporter
His haircut reminds me of the movie, "There's Something About Mary", after she got the jizz in her hair.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1794) 10 years ago
Hate to say this, but as BOTH a Notre Dame fan and a Griz fan/alum, I'm not thrilled with the acquisition of Nate Montana.

The fact is, he's just not that good. Last Year at ND, he played in 3 games in relief duty, completed 50% of his passes and had 1 interception - no touchdowns. the year before that, he tranferred to Pasadena City College from ND for the one year, just so he could play, and in 5 games he went 31 of 88 for 324 yards 2 TD's and 5 INT's...not real impressive.

On top of that, Montana is NOT a running quarterback, he's a pocket passer. you have to be able to RUN in this offense. Being the son of "the mighty Joe" doesn't count for squat as far as his ability to play and play well.

I would have felt better about the QB situation for the Griz if they'd been able to land Tate Forcier from Michigan - he visited Montana, but transferred to Miami, instead...yeah, he's got a bad reputation as a "me-first" player and a poor student, but he can run AND throw. Oh, well.
supporter
Shu:

Unaware of the Forcier info - he would have been FABULOUS for the Griz (and many other DI-AA teams.)

Too bad for the Griz fans he made the wrong decision...he'll do NOTHING at Miami.
supporter
Unless it's Miami(OH)

Posted by mule train (+1055) 10 years ago
The 2011 Griz Football squad will be better than the 2010 version with or without Nate Montana. I don't know this for sure, but someone with Griz insider information told me that the Pflu didn't recruit him, and that he will be looking at playing safety next year if he does anything. Not sure about that.

The Foricer kid would have been nice. But he is a prima donna and will ride the pine in Miami after he burns another year of eligibilty next year.

The Griz need a running back and they need some better defense. Some of the guys on last year's squad didn't have the heart nor the talent to win...hence why we have EW as the National Champion....who by the way WILL loose at Washington Griz Stadium this fall.

On the bright side, Griz fans will have the oppurtunity to drink beers at Red's with Super Joe.
Posted by Mathew Schmitz (+284) 10 years ago
Are you really implying that the only reason Eastern won was because the griz sucked? Eastern won the national championship because they were the best team in the tournament. The same tournament that the griz were not invited to participate in. Because they sucked. Deal with it. Your implication seems to be that IF the griz hadn't sucked, they would have won the championship. IF the queen had balls, she would have been king.
Sometimes, other teams hit a recruiting class better than the griz. Sometimes, even griz coaches can't predict a kids heart and talent. Sometimes, even the griz drop a pass, or fumble the ball and lose a game.
Sometimes, the griz are just gonna suck. And I doubt it's because some kids didn't have heart or talent, ALLOWING Eastern Washington to win a championship. Major fail Mule.

[This message has been edited by Mathew Schmitz (2/16/2011)]

[This message has been edited by Mathew Schmitz (2/16/2011)]
I guess you didn't watch the Griz-EW game Matt...you were probably too busy lactating over Denarius McGhee highlights...the game I watched saw the Griz defense getting burned play after play by Taiwan Jones around the end. That means one of two things...either the Griz had no speed or no heart, otherwise how can you explain the same guy running the same play over and over again for 15 yds a pop? Had the Griz won and since the Cats beat them as well, I am fairly certain that EW would not have been in the tourney...thus no NC. Your kitty cat colored lenses can't see that though?

I understand that the griz sucked last year. No doubt about it. What's funny is that as bad as the Griz sucked...it still came down to Chase Reyonlds (arguably the best RB in Griz history) fumbling the ball on the 1 yrd line for the Cats to win. So are the Cats that good? By what measure? They certainly got their asses worked in the playoffs...now didn't they?

It's all a moot point when Nate Montana opens up a can whoop ass on the big sky this year!
The Griz are everywhere....

check out the 54 second mark...
http://www.cnn.com/video/...voices.cnn

I am pretty sure he is yelling "die bobcat infidel scum!"

BTW...the video was archived...it's called "Voices from a Benghazi Rally."

[This message has been edited by mule train (2/25/2011)]
supporter
supporter
Ed Grimly Nate Montana arrested for potential DUI? That's not too surprising, I must say.

[This message has been edited by Bob L. (6/3/2011)]
supporter
Well, we Griz fans haven't had a lot to talk about this year so far, but I think things are starting to look up as Dr. Octopus's #1 QB went down with a ankle injury giving Gerald Kemp the look he needed to impress Griz fans (and coaching staff). I am feeling good about Kemp...this guy is an athlete. Should give defenses some major problems.

supporter
How's my boy Nate Montana doing?
3rd string
supporter
Wonder where Nate will transfer to next year???
supporter
Montana Tech!
supporter
Nate's career summary:

2005-2007: High School (scrub)
2008: Div I (redshirt walk-on)
2009: Community College (started some)
2010: Div I (scrub)
2011: Div I-AA (scrub)
2012: NAIA (???)

That would actually make sense!
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1905) 10 years ago
The Kemp kid does look pretty good...besides being an athlete he has good size. Cats, Griz , Iggles and Hornets - it ought to be an interesting race this year.

Oh. And I forgot. Monte looks ready.

Monte will be ready as well "old scratch" or whatever the name is of that stupid looking bobcat...

supporter
ISH! The taxidermist didn't do a very good job on the mouth or eyes there.

I'm chompin at the bit for some college football...there's a lot I don't know about the team the Griz have coming back this year, but that should make it interesting.
supporter
The name is "Champ", mule train. Sadly, the face of that stuffed cat would be an improvement. But don't despair! Like Monte's "The Great Monte Mystery", Champ is entering the literary field with "Hair Balls from Hell!". Coming soon to a bookstore near you.
supporter
BUMP!!!

There's talk of the upcoming Griz game vs. Tennessee on the Bobcat thread...let's move it here where it belongs, eh?

The 'Cats did give utah a respectable game...my hope is for the Griz to do the same vs. the Vols. It's showing on ESPN 3, I guess.

GO GRIZ!!!
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 10 years ago
Griz fans are certainly quiet ... I wonder why.
I watched the game on the internet...justin.tv rocks! Thanks to the Vols fan who broadcasted the event off a stream of his hd tv pay-per-view picture! It was better than anything bigsky.tv has ever put together.

Turnovers killed the Griz. The Vols had a lot of breaks go their way. I saw multiple fumbles by the Vols that ended up in their hands. On the otherhand...evertime the Griz coughed it up...there were 3 vols on it. I saw a couple of INTs for the Griz...one legit, one pass interference...both called back by beady-eyed southerns. I saw a Griz defense that played solid run defense only to give up big plays at times with the passing game. I thought the Griz offense looked sharp at times moving the ball, and other times resembled a algae sucking grass carp.

Overall, WTF? The SEC is a whole different animal. Did any of you watch the game? Did you notice that their running backs were the same size as our staring defensive line? It really did look like Sampson and Goliath out there at times. I mean the Tennesse Volunteers are BIG!!!! The Griz are not. I feel good about the way our MT boys tackeled the giant brothers from other mothers. It was impressive to watch. The sack on the opening drive against the vols was nice as well. In fact, I'd have to look at the stats, but I saw at least 2 sacks last night.

How about Sac. St!!!??? They are going to give everyone in the big sky a run for their money.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 10 years ago
The Griz = 4th in the Big Sky
Other big sky news: N. Colorado sucks....losing to an NAIA Lindenwood? WTF? Weber almost beat Wyoming. Eastern almost beat the huskies.

It remains to be seen what will happen this year in the BIg Sky. Most teams are one injury away from joing N. Colorado at the bottom of the pack. Sac St. looks like the team to beat right now. The GRIZ WILL beat E.W. at home. Montana St.??? not too worried about them right now, we all know MSU will have a giant let down game this year. They always do.
supporter
Total yards- UT 302, UM 140. Tennessee had the time of possession lead 40 minutes to 20. Montana covered the 28 point spot by scoring against Tennessee's scrubs and walk-ons. Not a competitive game. Montana got a big paycheck in exchange for the beat down, I would assume. So there's that.
Actually $350K isn't as good as the old days...when we made $1m a game vs. Oregon and Iowa those years.

Bob L. I don't think Tennessee were playing any scrubs...I saw 1st team all night.
Congrats to Grizzlies DT Ben Hughes on being named the Big Sky's defensive player of the week. Hughes had 10 tackles, a sack, two tackles for loss, two forced fumbles and a safety on Saturday against Tennessee. Big game.

As I said earlier, the run defense looked solid.
Posted by urcrackinmeup (+134) 10 years ago
Muletrain - Are you saying the Griz WILL BEAT E.W. at home this year just like you said last year that the Griz WILL BEAT the Cats at home?
yes
The Griz are BACK!
Well, back to reality appearently. 4 turn overs will do that for you. JJ is not good. Kemp needs more playing time. Dr. Octopus continues to struggle. Learn how to make an adjustment.

On the flip side, the Sac St. QB looked decent. He pretty much did what he had to do to win the game. Scramblin' on broken plays. The x factor of what it takes to win. We used to have a QB like that, his name was Dave Dickenson. Good practice for the Griz when they face the kitten's wonderboy.
supporter
I have decided I am NOT going to start a thread this year entitled "2011 Oredigger Football"
Is that because the ore diggers are no good? Didn't they loose their coach?
supporter
Posted by tom regan (+2520) 10 years ago
So, basically, what mule is saying, is that the MSU "wonderboy" Denarius McGhee is similar to the great Dave Dickenson.

Hey, maybe he will lead the Bobcats to their fourth national championship.

Awesome!!
We all need wonderboys sometime in our lives, Tom. Yours just happens to rhyme with Aquarius.
I saw this when I was checking fanasty stats...

Lex Hilliard rushed up the middle for 1 yard gain (Dan Carpenter made PAT)

Now that kicks ass.
I will be at the Montana Bar this Sat. afternoon watching the Griz roll Idaho St. with the dirty brown eye and my lovely wife. It could be the last time for a long time that I can say that.

Shooting with the Big Dry Bug first.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 10 years ago
Is the Environmental Engineer extraordinar going to be present? (In case you have secondary containment issue with your Busch lite?)
yes, unless he is headed to the chalet for goat hunting....4 o'clock kick off
supporter
Four o'clock kickoff means I will likely be out antelope hunting at that time....unless it is raining.
supporter
Posted by tom regan (+2520) 10 years ago
Posted by jerseygirl (+564) 10 years ago
Add Nate Montana to the mix and pretty soon they can have their own jailbird team! A few bad seeds won't spoil it for the GRIZ. They are a class act!!
supporter
Q: Four Montana Grizzlies in a car, who's driving?

A: The police.

Q: How do the Montana Grizzlies spend their first week at training camp?

A: Studying the Miranda Rights.

Q: What do you call a drug ring in Missoula?

A: The huddle.
supporter
What do you say to a Montana Grizzly in a three-piece-suit?

"Will the defendant please rise."
The Griz rolled today...they will be in the top ten next week. The Cats should move to #2. North Dakota St...should be the new #1. Lot's of top 10 teams losing this week.

I gotta say the Griz players should probably learn how to call it a night and go to bed when the cops show up at 2:40 in the morning, but at the same time I also know MPD are a bunch of [email protected] and I wouldn't be surprized one bit if the charges against the players aren't dropped entirely. Gotta love the video age. And to all you Cat fans, talking sh*t, just remember it wasn't long ago your players were busted dealing meth and coke...hell one of your own recruits was busted in Kalispel before the season with intent to distribute weed.
supporter
BUMP!

C'MON, Griz fans! Let's give it up for the Boys in Maroon and Silver! The Brawl of the Wild is a'comin and it's for the league crown and playoff spot! GO GET 'EM!...Can the 'Cats handle the pressure of their lofty #1-ranking??? Can they??? CAN THEY??? HUH??

PS Hey Mule, where's all the pix of the cat in the tutu and all that???
supporter
So, whatever became of Nate Montana?
Posted by urcrackinmeup (+134) 10 years ago
@ muletrain "And to all you Cat fans, talking sh*t, just remember it wasn't long ago your players were busted dealing meth and coke...hell one of your own recruits was busted in Kalispel before the season with intent to distribute weed. cool"

It's not talking sh*t as much as it's 'payback'.
That recruit never became a Cat player because Coach Ash actually does something about rules violations, which is different than Coach Pflu.

My prediction...Cats will start slow and then dominate with the running game in the second half.
ur-on-crack, Cat fans do talk sh*t...you said it yourself...

As far as pics go...

this one is my personal favorite of the season...

Tommy says that they have big asses, but I am not seeing any problems with that.

Here are some oldies but goodies from games of old...
[[

And of course...a couple of gems from the past and present....

supporter
I'm not able to get any kind of feed on the game from work right now, but I would guess BOTH teams are struggling to get offenses going in the snow...nevertheless, the GRIZ do lead the Cats at Halftime 12-0. GO GRIZ!!! FINISH 'EM!!!
supporter
And...POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRR BOBCATS!!!! Your final for the Brawl of the Wild is 36-10 GRIZ! WOO-HOO!

I won't get all cocky, though..I have the feeling these 2 teams will meet again in the playoffs, and probably sooner rather than later.
I will get cocky......cat cat bled like a dirty bozone girl at Zebras on a saturday night.
[This message has been edited by mule train (11/19/2011)]
supporter
Congratulations to BOTH the Cats and the Griz on making the FCS Tournament! It's not really surprising, nor is the fact that they are the only 2 Big Sky Conference teams to get in, but congrats, just the same.

They did land on the same side of the bracket, so it's possible they could meet again but it would be in the semifinal round if they did.

At any rate, both teams get a bye in the first round and host second round games in 2 weeks. MSU gets New Hampshire and The Griz, who have the #4 seed, get the winner of Tennessee Tech vs. Central Arkansas.

Best of luck to BOTH teams!
I was just reading about the 12/3 Missoula playoff game. It appears ESPN has exclusive rights to all the FCS tourney this year and they are only showing the game on ESPN3 internet. Which is fine if you have one of the internet providers that can use ESPN3, but if your a poor sap in Colorado, with Century Link, there will be no game. Not on the internet, not on TV, not anywhere. And that is BS.
Thank god for illegal streaming...I am covered thanks to grizpsych!
supporter
Way to go Griz! Game #1 was as easy as it'll get: 41-14 winners over Central Arkansas. They now face Northern Iowa in the quarterfinal round.

Meanwhile, Carroll College is back in the NAIA title game after routing Georgetown College (Kentucky) 35-3. GO SAINTS!
da GRIZ under da lights! should be another classic game. Makes me think about that Appy St game a few years back in the blizzard. UNI got real lucky against Wofford. Griz got lucky too, because we really are playing the weaker team. Glad it's not Wofford.

Prediction: Grizzle fo dizzo: 38 Pink Panthers: 12

It's shaping up to be the Griz vs. the Cats Part Deux in Missoula on the 17th. The 112th meeting. Does anyone know...is this the 1st ever meeting of these two teams int he playoffs (if it happens)?
Posted by mule train (+1055) 9 years ago
Prime time...prime time....prime time!!!!

Boy Shu...it sure has been nice around here without all those [email protected] cat fans talking poop.
supporter
Posted by JCF (+393) 9 years ago
my prediction: Griz 34, N. Iowa 10
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1794) 9 years ago
Game #1 was as easy as it'll get

WOW! I guess I was wrong. This team is definately peaking at the right time. 48-10 and it was over by halftime.

...but the Griz haven't won anything yet...the Sam Houston/Bobcat winner awaits.

Boy Shu...it sure has been nice around here without all those f(AT)cking cat fans talking poop.

Wish I could have been there, Mule, but damn glad I got to see it on TV.
The GRIZ are peaking...looking dangerously close to winning it all. Could be back to back Big Sky Conference National Champs...that sure would help to eleviate some east coast bias.

Sure hope the Cats win tomorrow....Semis in Missoula. 112th meeting. Classic.
Sam Houston St. looked fast today. Could be a shoot out next week?

Naw....Griz D is too good.

Griz 38
SHSU 24
supporter
Posted by tom regan (+2520) 9 years ago
The griz are definitely peaking at the right time. Good luck the rest of the way and I hope they bring another championship back home to Montana.

The griz will have problems with the team speed of SHSU, but I think they will win this game.

griz 31 SHSU 24
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1905) 9 years ago
The Griz have 11 seniors on defense, nine or so that start. They'll be able to adjust to what Sam Houston throws at them. They'll also be able to run more effectively.

Griz 28, SHSU 10
I think in the end it will come down to Jordy Johnson for the Griz. I was in Greeley last year in his college debute when Dr. Octopus burned his redshirt. I was not impressed. I was not impressed when he threw 4 INTs against Sac St. But since then, he has turned into the second coming of Dave Dickenson. The guy can flat out run the ball and that is the X factor in FCS ball. A QB that can throw and run. The Griz haven't had one in a while. Edwards might have been the last one....and we all know what happened with Edwards.
supporter
Posted by JCF (+393) 9 years ago
My prediction: Griz 47, Bearkitties 41. should be a track meet.
Posted by Maryann McDaniel (+249) 9 years ago
A Bobcat fan, I am now rooting for the Griz. Go, guys, beat those wuzzy Bearcats...what the hell kind of name is that? I work with a bunch of them as I am the math coordinator in Montgomery ISD about 30 miles from Huntsville ... also long suffering because of all the Texas A&M Aggies who are about 40 miles from us.

I am a MSU Bobcat, a Rice Owl (masters), and a University of Houston Cougar (doctorate). None were that successful this year, so now rooting for another Montana teaam!

Root for our Houston Texans -- now on their third-string QB. My son-in-law, Lt. Curtis Ford with Houston PD, is in charge of security at Houston Reliant stadium for all their games, as well at owner McNair's home when he is out of town. He is often on the field with the owner. Curtis -- one of the best guys you could know. Go Texans!
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 9 years ago
Yeah, that Edwards was a real bastard. Went to law school...?
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1794) 9 years ago
DAMMIT!!!

Good season Griz...so, next year, don't shoot yourselves in the foot early and also let one running back burn you for almost 300 yards, ok?

...and despite that, you fought back and only lost by a field goal to a team that still hasn't lost all year.

Proud of you and still love ya as always, Griz...just hoped for a better end to it. Here's to ya
Good run GRIZ! Thanks for the attempt on the comeback. Oh what could have been. Once again the Griz prove to be not such a great team on the road...but then again these bitches were #1 undefeated for a reason...props to SHSU.
supporter
I was at one of the local pubs watching the game with my good friend mule train. Who was the one wanting to stay till the end? The Bobcat fan! I know better than anyone else that the griz can win a game in the final seconds.

SHSU basically did the same thing to the griz that they did to the Cats. Speed! Speed on defense and speed with execution on offense. The griz could not recover from the lead in the first half, but great job making the game exciting.

I picked Georgia Southern to win the championship, but I hope NDSU prevails. GO BISON!?

Till next year........GO CATS!!
supporter
"Allegedly"

http://missoulian.com/new...963f4.html

I will wait until anything is actually proven before I make any comments. Hope this is not true.

[This message has been edited by tom regan (12/16/2011)]