Skating Ring in Jepordy
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+928) 16 years ago
I understand there is some talk of turning the skating rink next to the tennis courts into a baseball field(s). I don't know if I'm correct or not. If I am I'd just like to say "Whoa!" I'm all for baseball, softball, t-ball and fields to play on. However, please do not destroy the ice skating rink in the process. Yes, I realize not much skating has been available the last two years due to the weather, but weather patterns change. It will get cold again and ice will be available.

Many, many, many people have greatly enjoyed skating on the rink. Please, do not destroy the ice rink. Thank you.

Bart
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+18267) 16 years ago
>>but weather patterns change. It will get cold again and ice will be available.

Bart, Bart, Bart. What part about "global warming" don't you understand? I have a Master of Science degree...maybe I can help re-phrase the technical mumbo-jumbo...
Posted by Morhead (+123) 16 years ago
Blame people like VAN who said skating is a fad. There was a person on here talking about building a skating rink that would have fulfilled a lot of different activities, but people blow it down, and I have not seen anything on here from that person again. Good job MC. Don't complain about business leaving when you don't support the ones you have.........I am sorry if I insult anyone. That is not my attentions, but when someone comes in with a new idea. "OPEN YOUR MINDS", and if it where me "OPEN YOUR HEARTS" Welcome new people, and business's. That is the "growth factor" to a town.

I do look forward to VISITING Miles City.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12383) 16 years ago
I was at the City Council meeting. The baseball folks want to put in a bunch of Tee ball fields where the rink is. When asked, their rep said cheerfully that he would love to see the fields permanent, with sprinklers and everything and was a little surprised to discover that people actually wanted to maintain a skating rink. Why not just skate on Cook Lake, he asked? Maybe because the WARMING HOUSE was built next to the existing rink AND Cook Lake has a soft bottom and would require huge amounts of money and effort to turn into a skating rink AND THE WARMING HOUSE IS NEXT TO THE EXISTING RINK.

When faced with this odd idea that people wanted a skating rink, which did baffle the baseball folks, they were willing to compromise and have the tee ball fields just in the summer, with no underground sprinklers, and let those strange winter sports type have their skating rink in the winter time, if they really were that attached to it.

It was a pretty funny example of how limited some people's views are. It really didn't seem to occur to the guy wanting the tee ball fields that people actually, you know, wanted to ice skate. Once it was made clear to him that, yes, people do put metal blades on their feet and slide around on ice in the wintertime, then he was willing to live with temporary fields in the summer only.

I do suspect, in the long run, there will be a fight for the skating rink if only because the baseball people truly feel, in all sincerity, that their sport is good for the world and ice skating is just. . .well. . .something they don't do. And if they don't do it. . .

I think the City Council made it clear the rink must remain but I would be prepared to fight for it in the future.

Amorette
Amorette

Thank you for the fight!
founder
supporter
It was hilarious. The guy seemed really nice and sincere but he was truly surprised to discover people used ice to skate on. I mean. . .Snicker. Once he understood, a compromise seemed to be reached. The final report will be at the next Council meeting.

Amorette
supporter
Posted by Van (+559) 16 years ago
Morehead, I was talking about roller skating and unless you have been roller skating, to the Village People, since 1978 it may not be a FAD to you. I am sure that my words on mc.com have been a lot less offensive than yours. Just look at your posting on the BHS for instance. Someone had a legitimate question about the sale and you made a mockery of it. Way to go MC. They probably will not come to the BHS or post on mc.com any more because you were a jerk. We just lost their business. "OPEN YOUR MIND" and let the smoke out.

In Countries like Canada, North Dakota and Sweden, ice-skating is not a FAD it is part of their culture. I personally have great memories of ice-skating as a youth and would hate to see that winter activity demolished for another baseball field.
Van

Actually if you look back at the BHS post I was the one asking a legitimate question about one of the scheduled performers.

Roller skating or Ice read back your response to the person inquiring on opening a BUSINESS in MC. You my friend are no angel either.

[This message has been edited by Morhead (edited 3/30/2006).]

[This message has been edited by Morhead (edited 3/30/2006).]
Posted by Eric Brandt (+846) 16 years ago
Amorette,
I don't really know why this surprised me, but I was unaware one could actually detect someones internal state. I could really use that skill if you would be willing to it teach me.

I didn't interpret the event with a negative light. The gentleman came to the council with an idea to solve his problem. He clearly stated that he did not know what the future held for the t-ball numbers, but needed a place for a large number of them this season. He seemed unaware of not being able to flood the pit for winter if there were underground sprinklers. I'm not going to fault him for that - that's why we come together with each our skills. I wondered if they could not water the grass with a removable above ground sprinkler. He did suggest Cook Lake, but seemed to accept the limitation of the pumping quite well. What I observed was that they had a need, had considered some other options, made a request and seemed quite willing to work to find a dual-purpose solution. It was not my impression that he wanted to abolish skating what so ever.

It seems sad to me when we can't even say something nice about the process when it is doing exactly what it is supposed to - engage differences civilly and work together to find a win-win situation.

Considering the number of people who attended the meeting, I find it interesting that no one has heretofore mentioned that they illegally conducted an item of business during Round Table Discussions, but yet we are so quick to attack a citizen who just wanted to find a place for the kids to play ball.

Apathy will get us all in the end - but ahgn! Who cares!
supporter
Mooorehed, I am no "angle". You are correct. But I highly doubt that I single handedly stopped the development of a new Roller Plex in Miles City. If I did I will apologize to all the groovy Roller Skaters out there.

Back to the topic at hand- I would hate to see the ice rink destroyed for a new ball field. Can't they build a new field somewhere else?
Posted by Betty Emilsson (+76) 16 years ago
I don't believe using the word "retarded" is politically incorrect unless you are aiming it at someone who actually has a disability.
Not everyone who shoots their mouth off without thinking has a disability but words like "stupid" and "dumb" come to my mind. As a former special education teacher, I am not referring to people with a disability. I am thinking about people who can't manage to give information about the Bucking Horse Sale with starting a bruhaha.
FYI The Bucking Horse Sale is a wonderful experience with or without beer. It is festive, has great activities, especially the art in the park and you should go to at least one or more of the performances. If you are coming for just one day, make it Saturday and get here early enough for the parade.
I am sorry I hit the wrong button..I thought I was in the Bucking Horse Thread

[This message has been edited by Betty Emilsson (edited 3/31/2006).]
founder
Posted by Chad (+1765) 16 years ago
Save the rink! My family and friends much prefer the outdoor skating experience (that's free) to paying and being inside a sweaty, stinky building.

We have enough ball fields that are not being taken care of already. How about getting rid of the goats head (nasty burrs that poke
through your tires and shoes) at the field to the South of the ice rink. Then we'll let you think about an extra field.

Here's a novel idea- shoot the damned ground rats (prairie dogs) occupying the EXISTING ball field at Pumping Plant Park! Imagine, they let the field go to hell and now they want a new one. Fix what you've got Miles City.

If we need a new ball field let's look at putting one out at Spotted Eagle; the facility could use an update and an injection of new users would be great. There are literally acres of undeveloped space waiting for users. A ball park on the South end of the site could be awesome.
Posted by Danny T (+54) 16 years ago
Great idea Chad, Spotted Eagle is too natural as it is. It could definitely use some more development. The shooting range, archery range, swimming/boating/fishing area, and motocross/running trail just aren't enough activities happening in one place. It is the only lake near miles city, so logically, it makes sense to cram every activity imaginable around it. With the current activities, it's not quite loud or dirty enough. If we could somehow make it more crowded and add more garbage to the lake, then we definitely should. I would also suggest the possibility of destroying more of those pesky wetlands and cottonwoods and putting in a spacious parking lot with a nice brick-formed concrete wall surrounding it.
founder
Posted by Chad (+1765) 16 years ago
The motocross track has pretty well been abandoned due to liability issues, even so the South end of the site is mostly wide open and unused. A ball field would be over the crest of shoreline and probably wouldn't be visible.

Contrary to your idea of more garbage the increased traffic would bring, it would also make a lot more people aware of the facility and the fact that it needs some attention; something it rarely gets now.

If you want to talk about screwing up the lake, take a look at Thursday or Fridays paper where they're sinking dead trees to make fish habitat. The habitat is a good idea, but sinking trees spikes the nitrogen levels, promotes algae growth which depletes oxygen, thus weakening the fish that are there. A better solution, though not as cheap, would be an interlocked stack of PVC pipe tied together in opposing grids. They don't rot, can be moved and re-used, are relatively cheap, and don't spoil the water. Spotted Eagle has very limited flow as it is. A bunch of dead stuff sitting on the bottom isn't going to help. If you don't believe me look at modern dam construction- all the trees are removed and the vegetation burned off for that reason. The trees also pose a navigation hazard- something I'm concerned about because I offer free sailing lessons during the summers at Spotted Eagle. I already spend enough of my time fixing sailboats as it is.

A shoreline boardwalk with support piers in the water or a permanent dock would also had habitat. They would also be a great asset to the users of Spotted Eagle.
founder
supporter
The baseball folks didn't want to use Stanley Field at the Water Plant Park because they are worried about kids riding their bikes out there. Personally, since tee ballers are three to six years old, I think they shouldn't be off riding their bikes without adult supervision whether in town or out but what do I know? Anyway, that's the official reason. I suspect the amount of work and the distance is the REAL reason.

Besides, those ground squirrels are a huge tourist attraction. Seriously. Guy from Chicago came out to interview at MCC and they took him to the Art Center to impress him with the level of sophistication we have. HE didn't care about the Art Center. He loved the prairie dog town! There's an opportunity there, although since the city can barely maintain Pumping Plant Park, I don't think that will happen.

Amorette
supporter
Stanley Field is quit a ways from town, however anyone that would let their T-baller ride his or her bike alone to practice would at the very least need to talk to social services. T-ball is way to young to be riding anywhere but around the block if it is a low traffic block. Sounds like a lame excuse to me.
Posted by Jon Bonine (+160) 16 years ago
What about Bender Park? Is it still being used? Or is the T-ball program too big for three fields?
supporter
Posted by Sandy Kiltie-Losing (+260) 16 years ago
Would the park located off of Milwaukee Street be an option, if I remember correctly it needed someone to adopt it and maintain it.
Or another possibility, the old playground area at Roosevelt School, the current Headstart.
Just a suggestion.
Posted by Ben-wah (+75) 16 years ago
T-Ball can be played anywhere, for goodness sake. And, yes, you can put two T-Ball fields where the skating rink is, and even three if you plan well. It does not have to be very deep at all. The people in Lamar, CO, have just as much reverence for baseball as the baseball folk do here, and their t-ballers played on a dirt field no more than 90 feet deep (maybe less). Not much of a backstop, either. You don't need to have a 150' or 200' field for T-Ball, nor a chain-link fence around it.
However, the only issue I could see is parking, and that's only if you have events going on all over the place. So the one or two times that the parking would overflow into the area close to Denton Field, people can manage.
Posted by Dan (+465) 16 years ago
I tried to find the discussion of the ball park in the council minutes, but couldnt. Are they in there, did I miss them? The video is greatly appreciated but I cant hear some of the discussion.
I would think Bender Park would be a good option, I would think T-ball could be worked into the schedule there?? The skating rink also houses tennis fans during the HS season, would that be a problem if ball fields were built there?? The parks employees are already stretched thin, doubt they need a whole new park to maintain. Volunteer maintainence is not the answer, that never lasts.
Posted by Pluto (+98) 16 years ago
I agree with all who say that the skating rink should be saved, but what about involving kids in baseball and other summertime activities like sailing? I don't think it is wise to trade one great activity (skating) for another (baseball). However, there is not a viable option for t-ball to be played in the evenings in this town. If you want more kids involved with wholesome activities, especially in the summer time, kids need to be involved at an early age so it becomes an integral part of their summer. Working parents are not able to effectively get their kids to participate (or watch) when they are unable to get them to practice and games.

I really think it becomes an issue of what kind of town do we want. Do we really want to be a town saying we can't afford this, or are we a town that says how can we afford not to do this? Like the idea or not, these people are trying to solve a difficult problem with a meaningful solution. I applaud their efforts.

In the paper last week, there was a forum on curbing teen drinking. Study after study shows that kids who are involved with sports and other activities are less prone to drinking and drugs. It starts with the Boys and Girls Scouts, church youth groups, t-ball, Little Guy Football, youth soccer, 5th and 6th grade basketball, and anything else you can think of.

Nobody wakes up one day as a senior in high school and says that they want to play football, basketball, or baseball without meaningful years of experience behind them. They are, however, far more likely to seek out a party to attend after watching the big game.
Like I tried to say earlier but I guess I wasnt clear...kids can play T-ball at Bender Park...we already have a place where they can play, Bender is not used every night for softball. Why waste the time, effort, money to build a new park when just alittle work could quite easily return Bender to great shape?? I dont think anyone is questioning that the kids need to play, the only question in my mind is why build a new park when a good one already exists??
Why cant they play at Jaycee Park, for that matter? I doubt they have games there 7 nights a week??

[This message has been edited by Dan (edited 4/3/2006).]
supporter
Sounds to me like it is a matter of scheduling not enough places to play.
Posted by Pluto (+98) 16 years ago
I doubt is a matter of scheduling. I think you probably don't realize how often the softball fields (Bender Park) are used. Between adult and youth softball leagues and practices, it is used a lot. I would say close to everynight. Jaycee Park is a great facility, but it is used every weekday night. Again, drive by between April and June and you will see. In the past t-ball was played in the mornings and the baseball folks are trying to move it to the evenings. In the mornings, there is no conflicts with other fields. But then again, there are those job conflicts.
Posted by remus (+67) 16 years ago
Yah Van, how would you have any idea when the parks are being used?
Dan,
RE: Audio
Yep - it's sometimes pretty poor. I have problems in that if I amplify it too much I get clipping, but if I avoid the clipping, some parts are really quiet. I have tried using the audio from the that Mary Jo collects, but the timing is off and really hard to stretch out just right for 2 hours. The best I can say is crank up the volume!

RE: Minutes
The minutes from this meeting will not be available until the council accepts them at the NEXT meeting.

Thanks for checking it out!

Eric
thanks for the info! Sounds like we have changed our plans on renting any storage for the time being, I'll let you if we change our minds.
On a totally unrelated note, I remember seeing an old Schlitz clock in one of your empty rooms in the back, wanna part with it? I kinda collect old beer stuff...thanks-
Maybe...
( VAN ) ( ??? )

Gee which way did they gooooo

[This message has been edited by Morhead (edited 4/4/2006).]
that'd be cool, let me know, thanks
supporter
(Morhead) (???)

Back to being an angle I see.