Does Miles City need lawyers?
Posted by MT Aggie (+5) 10 years ago
I live and work in Dallas right now, and with the city covered in a layer of ice, and an even thicker layer of super bowl tourists, I've been starting to want to get out. I'm a licensed attorney here in Texas. I'm just starting out and doing boring contract work to get by. The market isn't awful here, but its not good either so i wouldn't mind leaving. I grew up in miles city and my mom is always trying to get me to come back. She paints this rosey picture of a land with 3-5 lawyers and clients busting down their doors. Is that accurate? Most of my experience is in family law. I'd be willing to do about anything but I want to focus on civil stuff as my career progresses. Does anybody know what the legal market is like there? I'd call a lawyer there but here in Texas no lawyer would ever dare to encourage another to move to their community. I don't want to have that conversation so I figured I'd ask y'all first. I'm also curious about the cost of renting an office and what kind of fees local attorneys are charging.

Thanks i advance for replies :-) Also, if you have somehow deduced who I am and who my mom is please don't tell her because I don't want to get her hopes up prematurely.
Posted by Ryan (+482) 10 years ago
Well there is a shortage of family law attorney's here. Dennis Corbin, Brad Wheatcroft and Cynthia Thornton are the only ones in town that do family law. Dennis is the busiest one.
Good luck on what you decide.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11432) 10 years ago
Seriously, I think Miles City could use a new competent family law attorney. I know we have been struggling with finding a lawyer to handle an estate settlement, since the "old family retainer" is pretty elderly himself and has retired.
Posted by Kacey (+3152) 10 years ago
Miles City could use a good lawyer...especially one without business ties to everyone in town. I hope you make the move! I know lots of people who use attorneys in Forsyth and Billings as the Miles City ones don't quite fit their need.
supporter
Posted by worldmom (+416) 10 years ago
Add in adoption and immigration under your family law umbrella and there will be lots of us beating down your door. We're dealing with a complicated situation and had to seek legal help all the way in Helena. (And for anyone who may have deduced who *I* am, please don't share that we have a complicated situation as the subject of the complication isn't aware of how complicated the situation is. Clear as mud, right?)
Posted by BD (+335) 10 years ago
If your good come on back, we could use someone that is honest and good at family law. I know of a few times when our attorneys here were uncaring and did lousy jobs for their clients.
Posted by ellie may (+473) 10 years ago
we need a few good lawyers and ones that are not part of the "good ole boys club". would be great if there was one that would fight for our rights regardless of who they are and treat us all fairly.
supporter
Posted by clancee k collins (+165) 10 years ago
I recently had to hire an attorney in Missoula for a simple sexual harrassment case. Come on up and be welcome in the greatest Cowboy town in Montana.
Posted by gypsykim (+1561) 10 years ago
We have two new, young attorneys taking over Lucas and Tonn. They both grew up in Miles City and are looking forward to raising their families in Miles City.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4454) 10 years ago
Really? C'mon.

Any place] needs lawyers like [thing] needs [thing other thing really, really doesn't need].

How about:

Miles City needs lawyers like Congress needs hookers.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (2/3/2011)]
Posted by MT Aggie (+5) 10 years ago
Well my mom found out about this thread in about five hours. Lol. Thanks for all the positive responses. Its nice to know i have some options back home.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11432) 10 years ago
Never doubt the speed of the grapevine in Miles City! It may not always be accurate but it is efficient!