State Repubs cut family planning
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 10 years ago
Yup, they are anti-abortion but they are also against preventing unwanted pregnancies. Their latest budget cuts family planning funds for the poor. They should just own up and admit they wish those darn poor people would stop having sex and that would take care of the problem.

Sigh.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9193) 10 years ago
Have they gotten around do redefining rape yet, like the National Repubs are currently doing?
founder
supporter
Oh, lord. How are they redefining rape? Never mind. I goggled. Could they be anymore evil if they tried?

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (2/1/2011)]
supporter
The really evil part is that, since HSA are tax exempt, you couldn't use one to pay for an abortion if you wanted one and your circumstances didn't fall into the new "really, really rape" category.

[This message has been edited by Bridgier (2/1/2011)]
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+763) 10 years ago
They cut the anti-tobacco program too.
There isn't enough money to go around, the budget either has to be trimmed of something or else taxes go up, isn't it just about that simple?
Posted by Steve Allison (+981) 10 years ago
Not really that simple. Cut these expenses and they turn around and bite you in the butt with higher costs to other programs in as little as nine months. Short term thinking creates future problems and expenses.
supporter
Posted by Bill Freese (+479) 10 years ago
the budget either has to be trimmed of something or else taxes go up

Not "or". Try "and". And the "something" that needs to be trimmed is everything.
founder
supporter
The tobacco settlement required that the money be spent on anti-smoking programs. The Repubs would have to change some other laws to do what they want to do. I'm on the fence about that because stupid people will smoke no matter what.

However, cutting family planning to the poor is, as my husband says, the shortest of short term thinking.

They are also all about job creation and development but cut the funding to the Main Street Program, which is very successful when it comes to job creation and development, because it originates in a lefty artsy-farsty place like the National Trust for Historic Preservation. So, the Repubs are FOR job creation and economic development but NOT if it helps preserve our heritage. Only if it destroys it.
Posted by aaron bruce (+193) 10 years ago
hehe.....
Posted by korky II (+608) 10 years ago
The poor are going to continue having sex too, no matter what.
aint just the poor doin the nasty.......after watching lindsey lohan and paris hilton and on and on...i wonder if the poor arent better equipped to raise children. you go pofolk....and remember 6 in 10 families with children under 18 live paycheck to paycheck.

one in three making 75000 or more are relying on latest paycheck to get by. broke is broke....

[This message has been edited by aaron bruce (2/1/2011)]
founder
supporter
I never suggested it was just the poor having families or having economic problems but the level of problem is different for income levels. It is one thing to not be able to afford basic birth control while being told not to have unwanted children. How about providing a way to avoid those unwanted children.

Plus the stated goal in ending abortion while, at the same time, making it more difficult for people who don't want additional children to avoid having additional children is hypocritical.

It has nothing to with rich celebrities with no brains. It has to do with struggling families who want to make the right choices but who can't because those in charge feel they should have that choice taken away from them because of their poverty.

Pointing fingers off at pretty sparkly things will not change the reality or the hypocrisy of the people in power who manipulate the poor for political reasons.
a womans reproductive system is not the business of the government amorette. let the hypocracy end now. you keep nibbling at your cake soon it will be gone.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 10 years ago
a womans reproductive system is not the business of the government amorette.

Ummm....are you the same "aaron bruce" who posted like 20 times in the "Put up or Shut up" thread, or are you his angelic twin?
founder
supporter
let the hypocracy end now. you keep nibbling at your cake soon it will be gone.

Um, ah, er I have no clue what you are saying but I will defend your right to say it!

ETA: Ever check out the "Engrish" site on the Internet? I suspect I know where some people get their phraseology.

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (2/2/2011)]
hey gunnar, i just went through all i wrote, and i never said abortion should be made illegal...as a matter of fact i stated that man can make abortion legal if he wants to...just because i am on the opposite side of the abortion issue doesnt mean i am for making it illegal. abortion is an action of personal responsibility, and you will be held accountable one way or another...i will continue to argue the ethics of abortion with anyone that wants to engage in debate. i will however not argue the legal aspects of it....

amorette, if the federal government has no authority to regulate u.s.citizens reproductive decisions they also have no authority to fund institutions that are in the business of reproductive decision making. to believe other wise is hypocritical. you want your cake and you want to eat it too...

by the way.....i love to argue with baby killin communists

butch grenz for president
Posted by Sharlene (+1210) 10 years ago
I am very saddened at this. I go to Family Planning and have for many years. I have two children and NO, I am not poor but I'm not rich either. I do not want more children. I would rather help out a child who needs a home. I am at a crossroad because what I would pay at the pharmacy is way more expensive than what I pay at family planning. I don't need to be fixed because we couldn't afford it anyway so the easiest for me is to continue to go to Family Planning as I have established a relationship with them and if I have questions, there are always there to help out. Family Planning is NOT for the poor. They are there to help out the public and donations are gladly accepted. I would hope that the community would help support this great organization.
sharlene, keep your chin up. you are a montanan....a woman and more importantly a mother. you broads are stronger than you think...it will be ok...give me an address, i will donate. sharlene i use the word communist to describe many of the people on here. i dont know if you are a communist or not, so the next part of this statement is not directed towards you.

PUT UP OR SHUT UP you commies.......i got 100 dollars to send. what about the rest of you?

[This message has been edited by aaron bruce (2/2/2011)]
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 10 years ago
Does anyone know how much condoms cost? Surely folks could bypass a six-pack of beer or a pack of cigarettes each week to get a pack of condoms.
Posted by Leif Hope (+94) 10 years ago
I checked drugstore.com for condoms, seems like about 7.50 for 12 to be the average.

I google the price for ciggies, seems to be about 5.00 and some change for a package (I don't smoke so I really don't know what they charge).

I pay about 8-9 dollars a six pack for Heineken or Stella around my area.
supporter
And what if Dear Hubby says "I only ride bareback"?
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 10 years ago
Time to get rid of "dear hubby."
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 10 years ago
That is not an option for real Christian women who obey God's law. Just ask the robot carrot.
supporter
Wendy, I'm having problems reconciling your claim here:
http://milescity.com/foru...789#123035, with your idea that poor people just need to give up cigarettes and cheap liquor to fund their contraceptive needs.

I suppose it's kind of like the suggestion that poor people should just give up their Cadillacs and color TV's if they want to buy t-bone steaks?

Life without money is nasty, brutish and short: I don't understand why people want to go out of their way to make it any more so - offering comments that seem to imply that poor people can't have nice things like healthcare because they're spending all of their cash on vices is, respectfully, classist bs.