founder
Posted by David Schott (+18250) 16 years ago
I see Mayor Grenz has once again put Miles City in the statewide news for his, ummm... unpolished approach to running city government:

http://www.billingsgazett...-mayor.txt

Posted by Kacey (+3161) 16 years ago
Pretty sure that there is a means of removing Butch from office. He is reminding me of Bush. Wow...Butch...Bush...too eerie. What is it with the God complex?
Posted by Barbara B. Anderson (+28) 16 years ago
Mayor Grenz also made the front page of the Great Falls Tribune today. Seems like the residents of Miles City need to field a few more candidates to run the City. Isn't there a mayoral election coming up soon?
supporter
Posted by Dona Stebbins (+821) 16 years ago
It must be very expensive for the city of Miles City to deal with cases like this. How unfortunate! I understand there is still another case pending involving the Chief of Police. It will be interesting to see the result.
Posted by Darby (+76) 16 years ago
my brother called from Bozeman today. he'd just read about the CowCapital in the Chronicle.

the first words out of his mouth-->"your Mayor must be a d*ck!?!"

d*ck doesn't equal duck
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2820) 16 years ago
A couple of weeks ago, my parents and I went to eat at Boardwalk. Butch was there and came over to converse. One of the first things he discussed when asked how things were, was that he'd be better if he didn't have five (yes 5) lawsuits against him. I wonder what the other 3 are? How much will they cost the city?

Just my 2 cents.

Kelly
Posted by Sam Hould (+46) 16 years ago
You know, we all sit back and give this guy a lot of heck for trying to run our city, and yes, he has made some mistakes, but we are to blame for putting him there. He is there because the majority put him there to do exactly what he is doing. This man is the same guy he was when he was running for mayor. OUR FAULT! Not his. I'm not saying that I am on his side, but the next time you want to bash on him a little, turn a little bit of that at yourself. Over half of Miles City is to blame for everything he has done. And we all have to pay the price.
no, not half of MC is to blame - half of the registered voters are to blame.

wasn't there only (in the ballpark) 3000 votes cast?

[This message has been edited by Darby (edited 3/24/2006).]
but then i suppose half of MC is to blame for NOT voting.

the whole deal sure does make for good readin though
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4463) 16 years ago
Butch is the perfect mayor for Miles City. If it weren't for him and those horn-dog cops, there would be nothing newsworthy to report.

I just want to remind Eric to hang on to those city council tapes. With a little creative editing you'll have an Oscar winner and a better excuse to draw tourism than Wal-Mart and a mental health center (and the best welfare system for defrauding this side of New Orleans).

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (edited 3/24/2006).]
supporter
Posted by Van (+559) 16 years ago
Sam, I would vote for him again if he would have fulfilled his campaign promises.
Posted by Morhead (+123) 16 years ago
Van

From what I have read. WHY WOULD YOU VOTE FOR HIM AGAIN. Are you one of those who voted for Bush again thinking the next time would be better......... HA HA JOKE THAT WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by Scott (+257) 16 years ago
OK OK!!!! Lets get on to something more interesting. All I read is about how we should do this and that and nothing is done. YUP! People voted for him and were really proud at first (like Van said) but now are realizing that others were right. BIG DEAL.... We are caught in between a rock and a hard spot. THE Butch has done a few good things and a few bad things for the community (you all have to agree). Some of us think more of the bad than the good and vise versa. How can this problem be remedied? Lots of our money is tied up in suits. Am I correct? I try to stay out of it anymore because it kills the ol' blood pressure. Van and I always seem to go rounds on here (it isnt worth it to me, Your a good man Van...It was fun)
Posted by Morhead (+123) 16 years ago
MC population is around 6k, the mistakes are not OK. This problems should not be happening in a town as small as MC. Imagine if this was a City of 2 or 3 million...........
Posted by Scott (+257) 16 years ago
Imagine voting for him......Someone out there sure did
supporter
Scott, true. However, it has been along time since we squared off and I have moved on. Butch needs to go but have you ever seen a one issue election before or have you ever seen Cognitive delayed person win an election before.

The letter in the Star the other day praised Butch for realigning the budgets so that all administrative costs were not coming out of the Water and Sewer Budget. That was not his idea it was spoon-fed to him by one of the management personnel, he would not be smart enough to think of that. I have heard a rumor that some of the more stupid things that he does are set up for him to do by a lawyer and a little councilman with a big ego. Give him enough rope he will hang himself scenario?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12383) 16 years ago
Oooo, a rumor. Wow. Nothing like a "rumor" as a good source. Anyone remember another rumor regarding our Mayor of our town (with a population closer to 9,000 than 6,000)? How people SWORE it was TRUE! Cross their hearts and hopes to die.

And. . .

It wasn't.

Beware the rumor. I heard a rumor that Microsoft was going to pay for Miles City to have an indoor pool but the Communists won't let them.

Amorette
supporter
Actually it was true. He did not declare himself Chief of Police just dictator over the chief. Got it Sweetcakes.
Posted by remus (+67) 16 years ago
I understand that people are mad a Butch for being sued, but what about the people suing him?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12383) 16 years ago
Ah,yes. Nothing raises the tone of a conversation like using a sexually suggestive term to refer to the other person in order to demean them. I believe Mr. Grenz is being sued because of that very prociivity. I do NOT approve of addressing women (or men, for that matter) by demeaning, sexually suggestive termininology, especially in an effort to demean and humiliate them. I am not a 'sweetcakes.' For one thing, I can't bake to save my soul (but I do swing a mean hammer.)

The point is, the rumor was incorrect. As rumors usually are. Calling me stupid names does not change that inalterable fact.

Amorette
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1286) 16 years ago
As long as I can remember Butch has been a Miles City Bully. The fact that he has not changed his bullying ways should not come as any surprise to anyone. Recall him if you don't like the way he is doing his job, sounds to me like you have the support. And if you cann't recall him don't vote for him again.......for anything.

Now I have to hope I can slip in and out of town with out being bullied by Butch or his police force. Just for the record I drive a purple cadillac with orange wheels, I'm a Vikings/Bronco fan.
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4453) 16 years ago
Amorette, I think the statement Van made was a tongue-in-cheek reference to Butch's behavior, not an attack.
supporter
Ammorette- sarcasim. It was not used to demeaner you it was used to be funny. If you read the Star then you know what I mean. I happen to agree with you but playing devils advicate and being sarcastic does not work on serious people. Lighten up and smile for once. Butch is a bully and will always be a bully. But he still got a couple of good things done. His legacy will be that not everyone should grow up to be President even if they can be. Wait a minute am I talking about Butch or Bush? Citizen controlled government has its drawbacks.
Posted by Betty Emilsson (+76) 16 years ago
It could be worse. Did any one watch "North Country".
Posted by Olivia (+58) 16 years ago
"It could be worse?" Thanks, Betty, but that is like telling someone that they are lucky only their mom got killed, because it could've been the whole family!
Posted by Dan (+465) 16 years ago
I'd like to see a list of the good things he's done for the city, anyone able to produce that?
Posted by remus (+67) 16 years ago
List of good things mayor Grenz has done for Miles City:

The 600

The Boardwalk
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15382) 16 years ago
Raised voter turnout in the next election.
Posted by Danny T (+54) 16 years ago
I would also like to see a list of bad things he's done for the city. (besides being extremely rude and abrasive) I'm not currently living in Miles City, but from what I've read on this forum, it appears that everyone has mutual hate for the man. I have to admit that I'm not completely up-to-date on the local politics, but it seems that nobody ever argues about specific decisions he's made. (just rumors and general dislike of his character)
Posted by Olivia (+58) 16 years ago
It has gotten so bad that I am embarassed to say I am a Miles Citian!
founder
Posted by David Schott (+18250) 16 years ago
My concern is that Mayor Grenz has established a pattern of abusive behavior toward city employees. The city has had to settle on at least a couple of occasions. These settlements cost the city funds that are already scarce. In addition, good employees have quit and it might be safe to assume they did so because they did not want to work under the conditions Mayor Grenz has created. Finally, I would point out that if Mayor Grenz does not improve in the way he interacts with employees and the city is sued again, at what point does the city become negligent for failing to curtail one of its employees (the mayor) in which case the city could be subject to greater penalties or perhaps a punitive damage claim.

Mayor Grenz's heart might be in the right place with respect to his goals for the city, but I think it would be fiscally prudent for him to wise up about how he behaves when conducting city business.
Posted by Garibaldi (+17) 16 years ago
If you follow the council meetings very closely, unfortunately, it does not appear that Mayor Grenz has his demeanor, actions, ideas, or responses questioned or challenged by any of the City Council. That is the scarey part to me.

A Mayor and City Council should strive to hire competent and motivated people to fill city positions. Along those lines, the department heads should be hired according to their qualifications and then they should be allowed to run their departments. If there is a question or problem, work with the department head. Too many bosses and a confused chain of command is detrimental to any business or organization. It creates a difficult working environment for employees.

Good employees should be encouraged, not forced out and discouraged. This is creating a "sue to get mine" or "sue to get even with" atmosphere that is only harmful to everyone, especially the taxpayer holding the bag, so to speak.

I don't mean that there haven't been some problems that needed fixing but if you need cracks in your china repaired, do you send in the bull to fix them?