supporter
Posted by Stone (+1591) 10 years ago
I thought these comments deserved a post of their own.

Denise Selk said,
I'm especially disappointed in this:

http://www.krtv.com/news/...mt-senate/

Joe Whalen said,

We don't allow you to vote, gamble, smoke or enter into contracts, but what the heck, drop out and screw up your life. We don't care.
I agree, Denise. I did write the Senate Education Committee asking members of both parties to pass SB44 and raise the dropout age from 16 to 18 y.o., primarily on the basis that there's a direct correlation between higher education and higher incomes in Montana. Requiring students to finish high school would also likely reduce demand for social services and corrections.

A prompt response arrived from state Sen. Eric Moore (R-Miles City) expressing concerns about efficacy of the bill and describing how it was being opposed by school superintendents, even though it was introduced upon the urging of State Superintendent of Public Instruction.

Sen. Taylor Brown, bill sponsor, was the only Republican who supported SB44.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14825) 10 years ago
Stone: I think the link broke or the story "dropped out". There is some irony here.

coldfusion.runtime.CustomException: Page Not Found at coldfusion.tagext.lang.ThrowTag.doStartTag(ThrowTag.java:124) at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._emptyTcfTag(CfJspPage.java:2661) at cfpermalink2ecfm1730547514.runPage(D:\webs\krtvcms\permalink.cfm:23) at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java:196) at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(IncludeTag.java:370) at coldfusion.filter.CfincludeFilter.invoke(CfincludeFilter.java:65) at coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(ApplicationFilter.java:273) at coldfusion.filter.RequestMonitorFilter.invoke(RequestMonitorFilter.java:48) at coldfusion.filter.MonitoringFilter.invoke(MonitoringFilter.java:40) at coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(PathFilter.java:86) at coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(ExceptionFilter.java:70) at coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.invoke(ClientScopePersistenceFilter.java:28) at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(BrowserFilter.java:38) at coldfusion.filter.NoCacheFilter.invoke(NoCacheFilter.java:46) at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilter.java:38) at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(DatasourceFilter.java:22) at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(CfmServlet.java:175) at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(BootstrapServlet.java:89) at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:86) at com.intergral.fusionreactor.filter.FusionReactorFilter.b(FusionReactorFilter.java:376) at com.intergral.fusionreactor.filter.FusionReactorFilter.c(FusionReactorFilter.java:254) at com.intergral.fusionreactor.filter.FusionReactorFilter.doFilter(FusionReactorFilter.java:164) at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:94) at coldfusion.monitor.event.MonitoringServletFilter.doFilter(MonitoringServletFilter.java:42) at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapFilter.doFilter(BootstrapFilter.java:46) at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:94) at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.service(FilterChain.java:101) at jrun.servlet.ServletInvoker.invoke(ServletInvoker.java:106) at jrun.servlet.JRunInvokerChain.invokeNext(JRunInvokerChain.java:42) at jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.invoke(JRunRequestDispatcher.java:286) at jrun.servlet.ServletEngineService.dispatch(ServletEngineService.java:543) at jrun.servlet.jrpp.JRunProxyService.invokeRunnable(JRunProxyService.java:203) at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$DownstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:320) at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$ThreadThrottle.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:428) at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$UpstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:266) at jrunx.scheduler.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:66)

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (1/18/2011)]
Posted by korky II (+614) 10 years ago
SB44 shud have been passed. Another thing our school could do to help decrease the drop-out rate is to start teaching study skills in elementary school. The sooner the better. I personally believe kids nowdays don't know how to study.
Posted by jw (+128) 10 years ago
Where is the responsiblity of the parent in this equation? Teach your child good habits whether that is with how they treat others or how they can be successful in school. If the parents don't value education than the child won't either...16 or 18 they always need support.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16829) 10 years ago
I am seriously starting to think Taylor Brown in 2012 for Governor of the State of Montana. I like his brand of politics. And I never thought I would ever say (or post) such a thing.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1591) 10 years ago
Don't jump to conclusions Gunnar. We have a long road ahead of us.