Website design help
supporter
Posted by annie221 (+255) 10 years ago
Looking for a website designer or business to help design a website for local not for profit organization.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3711) 10 years ago
What are you looking for? Just a blog or someplace to put up your phone numbers or pictures and such? You might take a look at doing it yourself on this website:

http://www.squarespace.com/

It's free to try it so just go hit the green button and see if you can come up with something you like. They make it pretty easy and there are lots of businesses in the area who have paid people to make them websites that don't look half as nice as a squarespace site. If you're not a computer person at all you will probably still have some trouble with it but you don't need to write a single line of code to set it up.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2304) 10 years ago
Squarespace is probably the best company for people who want a simple website. Cheap, self hosted, and rarely has downtime.
supporter
Oh and if you use the offer code "TWIT" you get 10% off for the life of the site.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17230) 10 years ago
Call Danny Allen at mchome.com
supporter
I will look into all these. Is it hard to design and run a website. I want to be able to have donations and also pictures, information, and possibly games for kids.
supporter
We are able to pay for a site also, but don't want to spend a lot of the money on the site. What do websites cost to make and manage?
We want a good looking, easy to use site.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9178) 10 years ago
The Iron Triangle applies to website design as much as any other software development endeavor:

Fast
Cheap
Correct

You may chose two.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1436) 10 years ago
^ The Above Is True ^
supporter
Don't let the programmer nerds confuse you. Squarespace costs $12 a month. If you want your own domain that will be another $10 a year or so.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9178) 10 years ago
I'm sure they don't pay a lot for hosting or the domain over at mchome.com either, but I think we can all agree that it's neither "good-looking" or "easy to use".

I would bet that the cost of maintaining the attributes above for any non-trivial collection of webpages rises in a non-linear relationship to the number of pages involved.
supporter
Well, the OP is not talking about a non-trivial collection of web pages. All they need is a decent looking template and a low monthly fee. If they make it at squarespace, it will be 1000x better than milescityhome. I don't know how those guys managed to find a website-in-a-box that was as stunningly horrible as that one in this day and age.
supporter
Here's a site I made there in the time that elapsed between these two posts:

http://brutul.squarespace.com

Didn't write a single HTML tag doing it either. There's actually 3 pages to it, see the links at the top.

[This message has been edited by Levi Forman (1/17/2011)]
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4462) 10 years ago
Every time I go to mchome, it makes me think Ron Paul is the new Mayor of Miles City.
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1669) 10 years ago
If they make it at squarespace, it will be 1000x better than milescityhome. I don't know how those guys managed to find a website-in-a-box that was as stunningly horrible as that one in this day and age.

But Levi, this is simply not possible,

You will get used to the post getting removed, they hit me all the time. However the web master that they use is not very smart. I can get around all of his BS so far. He only has one thing in this world, that is a virtual address that mommy and daddy purchased. If a piece of sh-t like that tried to hire on for a real job, he would get laughed at. I am only 9-10 months in on this computer stuff, and I am seeing just how un intelligent he is.

as the guys at milescityhome are quite obviously self-made computer experts in 9-10 months. Perhaps they took the Sally Struthers courses. Larry simply cannot compete.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4459) 10 years ago
Every time I go to mchome, it makes me think Ron Paul is the new Mayor of Miles City. smile

Rick has wood.
Posted by snickers (+816) 10 years ago
I hope you can find someone to help you with the website because you do really great work
supporter
Posted by Sarah Peterson (+373) 10 years ago
We use wordpress.com and have our own domain name (doesn't have 'wordpress' in the domain) for $15/year. That price does limit some things (CSS editing for one, media space for another), but it gets the job done for what we need it for and for what we want to spend.

http://deapccrr.com
supporter
Posted by Emilie Boyles (+255) 10 years ago
http://www.yolasite.com is being used by many small groups throughout eastern Montana.
Westby Border News even publishes their newspaper on it at

http://wbn.yolasite.com

I know of a handful of others who use it as well without problems. If you want your own URL or advanced hosting options they will do it for a reasonable charge as well.
supporter
Levi Thanks for the webite design! It look good. Still looking over options. Thanks again for all the help!