Cattle Brands
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10014) 11 years ago

A signboard along U.S. Highway 10 near Miles City, Montana shows a collection of Montana cattle brands and defines the word "dogie."

Photographer: F.E. Dunham
Date: Photographed September 1939
supporter
Posted by Bill Zook (+492) 11 years ago
You might make a note of the "shaving mug" brand; I suspect it is a facsimile of my grandfather's brand called a sugar bowl, in which the 'spoon' descends into the cup at an angle. It was in the first book of brands of Montana.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11965) 11 years ago
You can no longer register new figural brands like the "bug." Sad.
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+890) 11 years ago
Why can't you register figural brands anymore?

Such intricate brands could be an easy target for "cattle rustling" and such????? Well, that's my guess... Do you know Amorette?
supporter
Posted by Mrs. M (+717) 11 years ago
Some brands that are too intricate tend to scar over and blotch with the healing process making them virtually unreadable by the brand inspectors. I would guess that is the reason for the restrictions.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11965) 11 years ago
I don't know why. I just know that according to the last brand book I consulted, figural brands can only be re-registered but no new ones.
supporter
Posted by Bill Zook (+492) 11 years ago
Consequently, they are worth quite a lot if an estate wishes to sell them as they are considered valuable both in historic and in uniqueness - no one else has one like it or close to resembling it. Makes for easier identification when sorting a mixed herd. Ear marking serves a similar purpose.
Posted by stef428 (+239) 11 years ago
Just a reminder, 2011 is the year to reregister brands.