Wal-mart......FYI
Posted by Patty O. (+226) 9 years ago
I was at our local Wal-mart this afternoon doing our normal weekly shopping. I was in the bread isle when a lady next to me grabbed a loaf of bread off the shelf and noticed mice had been dining on bread. I have heard rumors they had a mouse problem in the back, and they have found nest throughout the store. I was hoping they took the neccessary steps to solve this problem. The idea of those little critters running through the store on all the grocery items and people being clueless taking them home opening cans, bread, chip bags, fresh friut and vegies etc. is beyond digusting. I did for the record place my item back on the shelf and did my grocery shopping elsewhere. If the store is over run by mice shouldn't the health inspector be notified? I know it will be awhile before I grocery shop at Wal-mart again.
Posted by Kacey (+3153) 9 years ago
That is DISGUSTING!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+10021) 9 years ago
Did you tell the management? They can't take action if they don't know it is happening. Any large, heated building surrounded by fields is going to have a rodent problem and it has to be kept on top of at all time. Tell the manager on duty--calmly, if possible--so the exterminator can be called in.
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+934) 9 years ago
Can you say "hantavirus?"
Posted by Ashley Earley (+379) 9 years ago
FYI...your cans, bags of chips, etc are stored in warehouses that are over-run with rats. Walmart is not the first encounter your food has had with the such. I'm sure every store has had its problems with pests, esp in the winter, but isn't it possible that maybe it was ripped, poked, whatever by something else? I don't think Walmart would just LET a problem like that go.

Sorry if the above sounds rude because it wasn't supposed to, just reasoning!
Ashley, I'm sure it's not the first place either. And yes the management knows, how do I know this well I have talked to a couple employees and a couple of delivery guys that I know today after I was there. They are removing product from the back because of the mice getting into it and now they are finding items on the shelves. I talked to a friend of mine who is a cashier they have found mice nest under a few cash registers and according to him they just closed it up. I think this problem has been going on for awhile.
Amorette, if I could have found someone in management today I would have said something. I did place a call to the store and waited on hold for 10 minutes...nobody picked up and I got tired of waiting so I hung up.I know this time of year mice like to inhabit a warm place, but as much of a problem as they seem to be having I believe this has been going on for a long time before the cold weather.
Posted by Mandi (+357) 9 years ago
My suggestion is to go to walmart.com and email a complaint. I had to do that before d/t a customer service issue, and recieved a personal phone call from the local manager. Just a thought....
Posted by dudemeister (+91) 9 years ago
I bought bread once from there when I got home, realized the back end of the loaf was moldy.

God, if you can hear me, besides this bread & mice problem, why is there a Walmart?
Posted by Jan Cornutt (+269) 9 years ago
I was going to be buried in the wal-mart parking lot so my wife would come and visit me more often, but if they have a mouse problem i'll just have a traditional burial...//dj//
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+14053) 9 years ago
Steve is onto something....I once read that Wal-Mart is the source of nearly 80% of the hantavirus cases reported annually in the United States.

If you value your health, you should avoid entering Wal-Mart.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14239) 9 years ago
Mr. Emilsson:
Posted by Jody K (+108) 9 years ago
I also have been told by a cashier that a mouse was found under her cash register. I wonder how long this problem has been going on? I hope they are able to get it under control.
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+757) 9 years ago
Somehow I got on the list to get all the "People of Wal-Mart" photos that are going around.
That's all it takes to keep me out of there!
It really, really works.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2592) 9 years ago
There is a city sanitarian. Call city hall to make a complaint.
Posted by Bunny (+149) 9 years ago
I have had that same problem. I bought some hot dog buns about a year ago. I brought them home and noticed on the bottom there was holes along with mouse belongings. I didn't buy bread from wal-mart for a long time.
Posted by Tom Rhoades (+32) 9 years ago
You people have got to be kidding me!
supporter
Hmmm.... so Wallyworld sits basically where Doc and Catherine Mathis barn use to be. (I wonder if any of these mice know the sword dance; Wendy, check that out will ya ) I recommend calling a piping member of the Caledonian Society and see if the sound of the bagpipes and a tune like Flowers of the Forest won't gather all of the rodents together where the can be lead down Stower in a parade to the train depot to feed all of the feral cats.

Problem Solved. You're welcome.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (1/3/2011)]
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Matt Smith (+788) 9 years ago
Richard,

Perhaps...Trap the homeless cats at the depot, turn them loose in the warehouse @ Wal-Mart.

Problem solved.

Is this thread in the humor section?
supporter
Posted by J Wilson (+161) 9 years ago
this isn't the Mile City Walmart is it? I will most certainly not buy groceries there ever!!!!
supporter
No, Tommy, I'm not kidding. Send me your e-mail address and I'll forward some photos to you. Seems I get a new pile every two weeks or so.
Posted by Tom Rhoades (+32) 9 years ago
ok here it is jeff. but seriously im more worried about the cows eating my backpack!
[email protected]
tough one huh?
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3118) 9 years ago
I did for the record place my item back on the shelf

How absolutely thoughtful of you.

Would it have not been more prudent or productive to take the offending loaf to the service counter and lodge a complaint? Was it really better to allow someone else pick it up and air your grievance in this kind and gentle forum? I mean, really.

[This message has been edited by Tucker Bolton (1/3/2011)]

[This message has been edited by Tucker Bolton (1/3/2011)]
Tucker, I to can copy and paste.....I was at our local Wal-mart this afternoon doing our normal weekly shopping. I was in the bread isle when a lady next to me grabbed a loaf of bread off the shelf and noticed mice had been dining on bread. I myself did NOT grab the bread...so yes it was absolutely thoughtful to put my items away. Not sure where the lady went with the loaf of bread she had grabbed, so I don't if she placed it on the shelf for others to grab or told management.
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+434) 9 years ago
I don't like Wal-Mart, so this thread will make me even happier not to shop there.
Posted by Jimmer (+70) 9 years ago
i use to enjoy going shopping at walmart but when there are not enough check out lines opened and people are standing in line for 20 to 30 minutes and or trying to find someone to help you with a item that you plan on buying. I am not impressed at all with the local walmart. Forget contacting customer service to log any complaints, all that will happen is that the MileCity walmart manager will contact you by phone and insure you that everything will be dealt with. as far as i a m concerned she is a incompitant manager that could'nt manage a lemon aid stand let alone a large store such as walmart , so lets get to the root of the problem, get rid of the management and start fresh. I would Rather travel to Billings Or Glendive to do my shopping than to put up with the MilesCity Walmart.
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+889) 9 years ago
I would Rather travel to Billings Or Glendive to do my shopping than to put up with the MilesCity Walmart.

Or shop locally....in MILES CITY?
supporter
Posted by SeptyTwo (+644) 9 years ago
Sniff.. sniff..

Smells like the usual sactimonious and hypocritical bullcrap in this thread...

For those that are stating that they never shop of go to walmart anymore, yet still post 3 or 4 sentences stating why... phooey... who gives a big hooeycrap?

I could as easily state that I found a chewed up bag of doritos in Albertsons! Oh no he didnt!!

Or a mangled bag of peanuts in Reynold's!!

no one is perfect, yet by reading through this thread, I can tell who the 4 or 5 ELITE citizens of Miles City are!

Thanks for clearing that up
supporter
Let's look at this on the bright side: at least we are getting the semi-annual Wallyworld bashing thread out of the way early this year.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8302) 9 years ago
no one is perfect, yet by reading through this thread, I can tell who the 4 or 5 ELITE citizens of Miles City are!

Evidence of an empire's decline - when the demarcation between the unwashed masses and the elites is those who will eat bread with mouse feces and those who won't.
supporter
Busted. Okay, I admit. I did go to the new Kalispell Wal Mart soon after it opened to check it out. But I did not buy anything.
Then I went there a couple months ago to see how a certain area had expanded to compete with my store. Of course I did not buy anything. My store blows it away, still.
I should have taken my camera the first time. I won't describe what I saw, out of respect for other families whose members are all morbidly obese.
Buy Local, darn right.
supporter
Evidence of an empire's decline - when the demarcation between the unwashed masses and the elites is those who will eat bread with mouse feces and those who won't.

I see the sarcasm and I understand the point..

Now that point would have more merit in this thread if THAT is exactly what this thread is all about...

No, this thread is like what Richard said... it is just the current bandwagon to be hopped on as there isnt really anything else controversial being discussed at the moment...

[This message has been edited by SeptyTwo (1/4/2011)]
supporter
Posted by Simon Niece (+307) 9 years ago
I personally think that mice are kinda cute.
Posted by nevets (+357) 9 years ago
lol Simon that was great......Ashley is right i have worked in warehousing for IGA corp and frito lay, for albertsons as a grocery clerk and for walmart. All of wich are very dilligent about pest control in store and have contracts with pest control companies such as ecolab, and all of wich have occassional rodent problems. Fact of the matter is anywhere food is stored in mass quantities in warm buildings during winter and cool buildings during summer is going to attract little critters.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 9 years ago
Interesting how a Walmart thread brings out posters who never post in any of the other threads.
supporter
Posted by Emilie Boyles (+251) 9 years ago
If any has taken any pictures of gnawed on packages or droppings recently, please email them to [email protected]

At your request, your name can be withheld from broadcast, however you do need to include your name and contact information for verification.

Thanks!
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4454) 9 years ago
A regular whistleblower
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+14053) 9 years ago
Wendy, the same thing could be said about Miles City Fire Department threads.
supporter
Interesting how a Walmart thread brings out posters who never post in any of the other threads.

True..

For me... I am not much of a poster... it takes a rare combonation of subject + mood + quantity of coffee to make me want or think of something to post lol...

I for one.. am not gonna post in other subjects if they dont strike MY interest for online debate... I for one.. will not post just to bump up my post count and/or just so my "name" gets more recognizable so that my "opinions" will automatically have more merit..

but that's just me...

so.. how about them train schedules?

[This message has been edited by SeptyTwo (1/5/2011)]
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3118) 9 years ago
This thread is wildly unfair to mice and the morbidly obese.
Posted by Steve Allison (+975) 9 years ago
As a quit mousy person slowly head towards the obese stature, I agree with Tucker.
supporter
Funny how some folks find that only Walmart threads strike their interest for online debate.
supporter
it didnt have to BE walmart..lol...

Try again...

I will comment here on other threads...

Blackberry video - Funny
Bronco's thread... yawn... dont like em..
Forgery... yawn... just a thread about a streetlight
Tea party thread... got sugar?
Flag thread.. already posted
caprica - dont watch it
True grit - wanna see it
trivia - havent seen it it yet

etc etc...

saved me the time..
supporter
I was casting about for a new years resolution, and perhaps now I've found one - as God (and Septy2) as my witness, I'll try to start more interesting threads from here on out.
Posted by tlk (+200) 9 years ago
I realize that there are some serious issues with wal-mart and yes, i do agree that they should be taken care of but wal-mart does bring in those who live in the country it is an easy stop for food clothing and entertainment, it is the only place i am able to go for my family myself, but over-all it helps keep money in Custer county. if the problem isn't solved and wal-mart is forced to shut down due to no money coming in, then they will be forced to shut down and where will that income come from for Custer county and the easy access for all those who live on ranches. there are other things to think about then just health, and mice..... this is just my opinion and i do realize most of you aren't going to care much to realize a bigger picture and call me dumb.
Posted by cg-17 (+20) 9 years ago
Oh my God!Wonder what we did pre-walmart? Personally i would like to see main go back to its original atmosphere before walmart. Hell that's why i decided to move here. Granted there are mice everywhere but you think the individual that was stocking the shelves might think to look at the packages for damage? And does walmart have pest mitigation in place would be another question or are they trying to save a buck?
supporter
Don't you people realize that Walmart will save our bad economy? Selling cheap items made by 12 year olds in China can only good for us fat cats here in the good ole US of A. Lead-encrusted window blinds just make life interesting. Cheap food means we can eat tons more of it! Eating more food means we have to buy more clothes to fit our ever increasing girths. Where do we get those clothes? Walmart where we can also buy more food while we're there!!! It's a win-win for everybody!!!!!
supporter
Well, if we just wait long enough, the chinese standard of living will rise to the point that it will no longer make economic sense to manufacture goods there, and some of those jobs might trickle back the the good ol' USA. Please cue some Lee Greenwood if you're so inclined.
supporter
Posted by Emilie Boyles (+251) 9 years ago
More on the Walmart issue:
http://www.examiner.com/e...not-a-risk
supporter
The Wal-Mart issue
Posted by bh (+85) 9 years ago
When an assistant manager (Dawn) thinks the problem can be solved by switching the can good aisle and the bread aisle around; I think I'm more confused than the mice may be.
supporter
The Walmart issue.. hmmm

It has been declared an issue.. a WALMART issue... only because that is where the chewed up bag was found and then talked about..

Emily Boyles report stated that the managers at Reynolds and Albertsons said that THEY dont have rodent problems... that may be true... and, not saying that they do or dont... but if they DID, the managers are NOT gonna admit it to the media..

Just saying... First time in a long time that a chewed up bag of bread was talked about and then reported... WHO is to say that a similar incident.. or "issue" has NOT occured in the other two grocery stores in town?

My meaning or point... it COULD have happened, but Walmart is just an easier target to claim "issues" with...

I betcha dollars to donuts, that in the past year in both stores that there has been at least ONE chewed up bag of bread found... law of averages i think... but people are pretty much prone to leave these two "hometown" businesses alone...

just mho...
supporter
Jim Vastian, manager at the Miles City Reynolds store echoed a similar sentiment and said their prevention program, also through Ecolab, was working well and they have had no complaints.

http://www.examiner.com/e...not-a-risk

Isn't this supposed to be Jim Bastian?
Posted by Steve Allison (+975) 9 years ago
Just a humorous aside here. When I was working at the Bozeman K-Mart store we had a problem with mice ripping open bags of fertilizer and potting soil being stored in the outside patio area. Our solution was to get a cat, that we kept and feed on the patio. On one district manager visit, he was starting to complain about the expense of getting the cat it's annual shots when the cat shot past him, made a giant leap to land on a mouse near his feet and proceeded to end the mouse's life. The district manager shut up, signed the expense report and went back inside the store.

[This message has been edited by Steve Allison (1/7/2011)]
supporter
Stephen Hawking is right, you can make something out of nothing.
supporter
Posted by Mike Wallick (+167) 9 years ago
When life gives you lemons......

http://bertc.com/subfive/...ngrats.htm