Couponing... Just a Thought
Posted by Toni Rentschler (+1511) 10 years ago
Well, times are tight. For more the one way for many different family styles. I was watching TV the other day... And there was a show. It was Couponing to the Extreme. I don't know if any one else have seen that one or not. But that is why I brought this discussion up for.

Do you coupon? Do you use ALOT of coupons? Would you use a coupon clipping service? If you coupon, how many have you used in one trip? Did you know that there are stores out there that will let you "double" coupon?

With this, do you think that there are many out there in the M/C area that coupon? And would there be a use for a coupon trading date?

Just a few things that I, a huge coupon girl was thinking about. Thank you for your thoughts and responses.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 10 years ago
I used to use a coupon service when my daughter was very young and I didn't have much else to do. My take on coupons is that they're fine if you eat a lot of processed foods or use a lot of paper and cleaning products. My small family does neither at the moment so I've found that my interest in coupons is waning.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14818) 10 years ago
If you value your time, even at minimum wage, coupons cost you money.
supporter
Posted by Mike Wallick (+168) 10 years ago
I used to feel that way Richard. But now with the larger grocery stores placing the current coupons right at the entrance doors, it takes little or almost no time to tear the few out that benefit your current shopping list (since they are also noted on the shelf next to the product).
Posted by CK (+845) 10 years ago
Toni- I Love Coupons too! I heard about the show on TLC, but didn't get to watch it...bummer! In answer to your questions:

Do you coupon-Yes. Do you use ALOT of coupons-Yes Would you use a coupon clipping service-Possibly, what would the service entail?

If you coupon, how many have you used in one trip-It depends on the sale, I have used up to 30 in a trip before.

Did you know that there are stores out there that will let you "double" coupon?-Yes, in fact we should be receiving Albertsons doublers in tomorrows paper, I hope.

With this, do you think that there are many out there in the M/C area that coupon? And would there be a use for a coupon trading date? Yes! Coupon trading date would be great! There are something that I don't use but other things I could sure use more of! Most of my friends coupon. There is a large group of us that talk to each other each week to make sure we aren't missing a good deal.

We should get together and trade coupons sometime and talk favorite techniques. Carli
Posted by uno21 (+72) 10 years ago
Carli, I would love to join your group! I started couponing last fall and haved saved quite a bit! Yes you have to plan out your strategy and clip coupons but if you can get what you need for practically nothing, it's woth it! We need to really save where we can.
Posted by CK (+845) 10 years ago
Great Uno21! Email me [email protected] and we will add ya to the email list! I started last fall too. I love couponing, I always shop on Monday morning...so gearing up for tomorrow! I love double weeks!

There is a stigma that only poor people use coupons because they have to, but I read an article in the Billing Gazette today (magazine section) that said the majority of coupon users make over $70,000 a year. I certainly don't fit that bill, but found it interesting enough to share.
supporter
Posted by Sunny (+372) 10 years ago
A note to the wise.
Coupon only if you regularly use that product and that brand. Usually, the house brand or another brand is still cheaper than the coupon product with the cents off. Of course, if you are able to double the coupon, THEN it makes "cents".
supporter
Posted by worldmom (+417) 10 years ago
This is absolutely not true. I can nearly ALWAYS beat generic/store brands prices. It isn't just about using coupons, it's about using coupons at the right time. When you track store prices and use the coupons on items when they're at their lowest, you can make a huge dent in your grocery budget. The key is knowing what the best prices are and where to find any applicable coupons. I have a very large family, and we spend $150-200 a week on groceries. Before I started shopping this way a couple of years ago, we were spending $500 a week. Not only that, but we've been able to build up a significant stockpile of food and other necessities that we can now "shop" from. Other than some perishables and produce, and stuff I needed for our Christmas dinner, I basically didn't grocery shop the entire month of December. It was nice not to have the hassle or expense of it during such a busy time.

I teach a class at MCC about frugal grocery shopping, and I think we will try to offer it again in the spring. In the meantime, I know that Carli and I and our friends who shop this way would be happy to "mentor" anyone who's interested in learning.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 10 years ago
worldmom,

I have a question for you. I used to use a service that told you where the lowest prices were each week and whether there was a coupon. I saved a lot on diapers and wipes and packaged foods. But since my child has grown and we've switched to a healthier eating style I find that there are few coupons out there for the things I buy. I guess if I wanted to eat canned soups, Hamburger Helper, and cold cereal for every meal, coupons would help. But I never see coupons for fresh vegetables and fruits. Am I missing something?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14818) 10 years ago
It's funny how Albertsons is quick to tell me every time I checkout how much money I have "saved". I wish they would give me that "savings" in beer.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (1/4/2011)]
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 10 years ago
Yeah, you don't really "save" money at Albertsons, think of it as the amount of money that they are paying you to carry that piece of plastic in your wallet and let them track every purchase you make for marketing purposes.
Posted by Toni Rentschler (+1511) 10 years ago
Wendy, I dont see the coupons for the fresh fruit and veggies either. But if you can save on all the other things, it makes it easier to buy the good fresh fruits and veggies.
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1787) 10 years ago
Interesting story in the STAR last night! As Wendy mentioned above, you have to eat mostly processed, convenience foods to get deals on coupons. I have serious doubts, after seeing the photos of the boxed, brand name foods stockpiled in the basement, that she's saving grocery money by feeding a family of 14 with stuff like Rice-A-Roni Seriously, how many boxes would that take for a meal? Surely buying bulk rice is not only more cost effective, it's much healthier...

While I'm at it buying 5 Sunday Gazettes just for coupons? That sounds like a wasted overhead cost..surely there's subscribers that don't even look at their fliers that would donate them?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11533) 10 years ago
I've always found house brands to be cheaper than national brands even with coupons. I would be happy to donate my coupons from the Sunday paper (I have a severe jones for colored comics) to anyone who wants them.

I do use a few of the coupons I get at Albertson's when they are for products I actually buy but most of them get tossed.