Merry Christmas
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9778) 10 years ago
A Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and/or Joyful Winterfest / Solstice Celebration to all. May the coming year bring nothing but good things to you & yours.

founder
supporter
sponsor
Traveling for the holidays this year. I guess it's okay, but I've had enough of cities and am ready to head home. We head home tomorrow morning - leave Los Angeles around 6am and (weather permitting) we should be home around 7:30pm.

This was the view from the balcony of the place we stayed at in San Francisco:

Alcatraz Island looking out the kitchen window of the place
founder
supporter
sponsor
Shots out the window of the car driving from San Francisco to Los Angeles on 12-22-10.

founder
supporter
sponsor
Shots from some beach near Malibu on Christmas Eve day. I was curious what they were putting the net out for - maybe just to entertain the tourists.

supporter
Posted by howdy (+4950) 10 years ago
Hope you got home safely...Bet it was an ordeal getting there considering where you live and the time of year it is...Merry Christmas..
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+591) 10 years ago
I was curious what they were putting the net out for - maybe just to entertain the tourists.

They are pot fishing for Dungeness crab. They don't do a lot of crab fishing that far south, but some. That is a crab pot he is standing in front of, and the thing hanging from the boom to his left is a power block they use to haul the pot with.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1503) 10 years ago
We saw some pots like that on a pier in San Diego a few weeks ago. I also left a sardine and 1/4 pound sinker snagged on one just off Point Loma I think.

These boats were by the pier, but I think most are commercial tuna boats.

Also! I'd have won the boat jackpot were ling cod in season. That *is* a look of disdain from me. I'm too used to MT stocker rainbows and want nothing to do with teeth like that.

I've fished Oregon once at Depoe Bay a long time ago and we caught quite a few more ling cod and could've kept them all at the time. I'm starting to think that maybe some trip we'll go out that way and try it again.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Thanks Howdy.

It was a long day - we left the motel around 4am California time and got home around 6:30 AK time . . . but we are home. I've had my fill of cities ; -)

Lorin, thanks for explaining that. All I know about fishing is putting the sub-net out for salmon.

Dave - ling are ugly, but they sure are tasty.
Dave; small world. The boat (Anna Marie) in the foreground used to be a local Coos Bay boat. It was owned by a friend of mine,my son worked on the boat for a season. And you are right it is a tuna boat. I have some pictures of the boat, I took at sea while my son was fishing on it.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16820) 10 years ago
The ling cod....the most delicious fish in the ocean!

Now, here is a ling cod!

Unfortunately, I had to throw him back, as ling cod season was not open in Alaska when I reeled that bad boy in. It about broke my heart.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Lorin, how far north do you fish?

Ever make it to Bristol Bay? If you ever pass though King Salmon / Naknek get in touch - we are always good for a home cooked meal and a pint or two of ale.
I have fished in Alaska, I am now officially old and have no Alaska permits. As far north as I fish now is Vancouver Island. And very seldom go below San Francisco to the south. Dave here is a picture of the same boat as the one in your picture. I took this picture tuna fishing off the Oregon coast my son is the one to the right in the stern.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1503) 10 years ago
It looked better with the yellow trim. Can still see a bit of yellow under the green in the full sized image.

Very little fishing going on while we were there. Tried to get out every day but only got enough people aboard for two open party 1/2 day trips. One of the long range boats came in with a world record yellowfin a few days before we got there.

Probably will hold off until October or February next trip when they say the fishing picks up and try to go on a 3/4 day or longer run out farther or down to Mexico.