Equine Therapy
Posted by Dawn Dee Stirling (+42) 11 years ago
Hello... Is there anyone in Custer County or Southeastern Montana which provides equine therapy (therapeutic horseback riding) for children and/or adults, especially for people with disabilities? I have heard so many good comments and positive feedback. I found some in other Montana cities (closest I think is Billings) which serve ADD or other Hyperactivity Disorder, At Risk Youth, Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, Emotional, Behavioral, or Mental Health, Head Trauma/Brain Injury, Learning Disability, Mental Retardation, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscular Dystrophy, Paralysis, Speech Impairment, etc. If there isn't anyone close, is anyone willing to consider providing a similar service, especially for children? (You can go to www.narha.org to read more information about the North American Riding for the Handicapped Association - I am sure there are other organizations, that's just the one I know.) Thanks for your help! Dawn Dee
supporter
Posted by annie221 (+258) 11 years ago
MCC talked once about starting a program a couple of years ago. I don't know what happened to that. You might talk with them.
Posted by Karla McDonald (+2) 11 years ago
Hi Dawn-
Our agency offers Equine Assisted Psychotherapy for behavioral issues with kids and adults. We are located outside of Lame Deer, MT and are fully certified by EAGALA. We are not NARHA certified if you are looking for that you may have to go to Billings. Sheridan, WY offers a NARHA program, they are called CHAPS I believe. We offer individual, group, and family sessions, and would be more than happy to visit with you about your needs and hopefully help you find what you are looking for. Our program is called Medicine Horse Learning Program, and our phone number is (406) 477-8060. My name is Karla McDonald-Moore, I am an LCPC and certified EAGALA provider. Thank you, hope to hear from you.
Posted by cs (+196) 11 years ago
Hello Dawn,
I have been looking into it. I have the horses and the facility, I just do not have the certification. There is definitely a need here. If you want to talk about it, let me know...I would like to hear your feedback and what need you may see.