Best Christmas Songs
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17479) 11 years ago
I was thinking about burning a mix of my favorite Christmas songs.

So far I've got:

Linus and Lucy - Vince Guaraldi
Let's Make Christmas Mean Something This Year - James Brown
Run Run Rudolph - Keith Richards
Father Christmas - The Kinks
A Christmas Song - Jethro Tull
2000 Miles - The Pretenders

....so that's it. Only six songs.

I guess I really hate Christmas music.

Any suggestions?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14969) 11 years ago
How about Grandma got run over by a reindeer?
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+753) 11 years ago
My favorite is Bob Seger's version of Little Drummer Boy. You can hear it on You Tube.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 11 years ago
I'm sure you'll hate this but I like God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/Star of Wonder by the Barenaked Ladies with Sarah McClachlin.

It's on an album that also contains an emo version of Little Drummer Boy and a song that often made my daughter cry.
supporter
Posted by Ingird Emilsson (+211) 11 years ago
Ho Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum by Jimmmy Buffet. In fact the whole Christmas Island CD is pretty good
supporter
Perusing my CD collection over lunch, I did locate another classic:

"Stay a little longer, Santa" by Shemekia Copeland.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9222) 11 years ago
It's not Savatage the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, but it'll do..
supporter
Posted by Jill Vail (+111) 11 years ago
A couple of my non-traditional favorites:

Fairytale of New York- The Pogues
Merry Christmas from the Family- Robert Earl Keen
Posted by susan a. (+66) 11 years ago
I love 'I want a hippotamus for christmas'. It's really cute.
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+927) 11 years ago
Louis Armstrong's
"Zat you Santa Claus"

One year I was sitting at the Town Pump waiting for the bus to come in at 3 or 4 a.m. to pick-up my brother who was heading home for Christmas. I was listening to some radio station I've never heard before and they were playing all these great Christmas songs done by Armstrong, BB King, etc. Great jazz and big band swing versions of old and original songs. I thought why don't we hear these on the radio rather than Jingle Bell Rock? Later, along came iTunes and I discovered how easy it was to find these songs.
supporter
"Santa Claus is a Black Man" by Akim and the Teddy Vann Production Company.

This is a great song and can be found on A John Waters Christmas. I haven't heard any of the other stuff on this album but I daresay that there is probably some great stuff.
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+787) 11 years ago
C'mon, Gunnar, break out that cool Bob Dylan Christmas CD I gave you and add "O Little Town of Bethlehem" or the "Drummer Boy" to the mx. You can blame the heartburn on Bob insteasd of your meatballs at your St.Lucia party.
Posted by nevets (+353) 11 years ago
and just to scare the bejesus out of the bad little boys and girls add a little wierd al i personally recomend The night santa went crazy
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1906) 11 years ago
I guess I'm not esoteric(is that the word?)enough for most of you. My favorite is still Bing Crosby's version of "Do You Hear What I Hear?".

Wendy's version would be "Do You Here What I Here?".
Posted by Kacey (+3161) 11 years ago
My favorite is Andy Williams...We Need A Little Christmas. Or hear it while watching Mame! Rosalind Russell was wonderful in that movie.
supporter
Posted by C.Kee (+378) 11 years ago
The Spirit of Christmas, by Ray Charles.

It is in the movie, Christmas Vacation when Chevy Chase is in the attic watching the old black and white home movies.
supporter
Bob II's getting coal this year.

Initially, I didn't recommend any of my favorite Christmas songs because most of them are church hymns and Gunnar doesn't seem the church hymn type. But here are my favorites:

O Come, O Come, Emmanuel - technically Advent
Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence - Lutherans put this in the Holy Communion section, Presbyterians sing it during Advent
O Holy Night
Carol of the Bells
Joy to the World
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14969) 11 years ago
No collection of Christmas music is complete without some Manhiem Steamroller.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1598) 11 years ago
Ditto, C.Kee

"The Spirit of Christmas, by Ray Charles.

It is in the movie, Christmas Vacation when Chevy Chase is in the attic watching the old black and white home movies."
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2733) 11 years ago
Santa Baby - sung by Eartha Kitt. It always brings out the materialist in everyone. And really, isn't that what Christmas is all about?

[This message has been edited by Steve Craddock (12/10/2010)]
supporter
Ma, I did break out the Bob Dylan Christmas CD out last night, near the end of the Santa Luccia party. All our guests agreed, Bob singing "Hark the Heralds" is the worst Christmas song ever (although I think the dogs barking Jingle Bells might be worse).
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17169) 11 years ago
supporter
Try Annie Lennox's new Christmas album. I like her Il est Ne le Divin Enfant.

Addendum: If I never hear another Mannheim Steamroller version of a Christmas hymn, it'll be ok. Pablum for the masses.

[This message has been edited by Wendy Wilson (12/19/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1439) 11 years ago
"Feliz Navidad" by Jose Feliciano.
supporter
Posted by Bill Freese (+481) 11 years ago
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - Modern Jazz Quartet
founder
Posted by Cheryl Gaer-Barlow (+476) 11 years ago
How about snuggling up with your honey, turning off all the lights except the Christmas tree and a few aromatic candles, drinking a mug of hot chocolate and listen to "Silent Night"?
founder
I'm left to wonder if there's a double entendre to this song:

supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1439) 11 years ago
When I worked at the original Buttrey's meat department (in the Plaza) Spud Patch used to sing the most hysterical rendition of "Jingle Balls" during the holiday season.

Being the meat department it was funny yet painful having tears of laughter stream down my cheeks only to halfway freeze in the cold of the meat locker.
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+897) 11 years ago
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+480) 11 years ago
My Favorite Things, as performed by Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass (I know it's not a Christmas song but they manage to put that Christmas feeling into it). Their Christmas album is excellent throughout.

Believe (by Josh Groban) and Spirit of the Season (by Alan Silvestri), both from the soundtrack of "The Polar Express"

The Best Christmas, by Christopher Cross

Also, Sleigh Ride, as performed by Leroy Anderson (or Arthur Fiedler & the Boston Pops, who play the same arrangement) is a must-listen for me every year.

I like a lot of the old traditional stuff. XM 4 is a great channel for Christmas music. I don't like the novelty stuff in general. If I hear the Muppets doing "12 Days of Christmas" just once more I might have to go all Elvis on the offending radio.
Posted by MR (+394) 11 years ago
My sisters songs are "Mary do you know" and "Let there be peace on earth".OH and "I yust go nuts at Christmas" by Yogi Yorgenson. our Dad had it on a 33rpm album and we listen to it every Christmas eve. Great memory!!
Posted by mule train (+1057) 11 years ago
supporter
Posted by Chris Gamrath (+387) 11 years ago
Growing up we had a record of Ray Stevens Christmas Time that inadvertently got left at the school. I've yet to find the entire album but there were some CLASSIC tunes on there

Being more of a traditionalist however, I always lean more towards the Jim Reeves, Burl Ives, Dean Martin era when thinking of the "best" Christmas songs.