Help Protect Netflix!
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2717) 11 years ago
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17178) 11 years ago
The cable companies are finally starting to feel a little heat.

I was going through some old files recently that included old phone bills. I was amazed by how much I used to pay for long distance phone calls. I hope someday I will be amazed by how much I used to pay for cable TV.

We currently subscribe to a "triple play" package that provides telephone, cable TV, and Internet. The package was advertised at $99/month but our actual bill is $142/month.
founder
Posted by James Shaw (+137) 11 years ago
http://www.dslreports.com...ute-111657

Looks like ComCrap is trying to protect their TV revenue. If they wouldn't gouge the customer, I'm sure this wouldn't be an issue.

[This message has been edited by James Shaw (12/3/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9224) 11 years ago
A couple questions for James:

1) Did you vote?
2) Did you vote for the member of the party most likely to advance Net Neutrality?
founder
Posted by James Shaw (+137) 11 years ago
1. Yes I did
2. It wouldn't matter. Net Neutrality (from the looks of it) is going to be chosen by the corporations. If it didn't, the large ISP's would throw a tantrum until they get what they wanted.

Welcome to Corporate America.
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4453) 11 years ago
Seems like the market is more than capable of handling this... I think the Telco's would be happy to have the business back from the cable providers if they decide to get cute with their cable internet traffic.

Netflix, if they really wanted to could tack on a cover charge just for their Comcast subscribers. That might help some Comcast subscribers reevaluate their choice of ISP's.

But I don't really see why Netflix needs anyone's protection. They've got all the leverage they need.
supporter
Posted by Chris Gamrath (+387) 11 years ago
Why is cable worrying so much about Netflix when there's at least 2 major players on the cyber market who require no fee (at least HULU I know for sure) to watch recently aired cable t.v. shows?
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+480) 11 years ago
I can't really comment on cable TV's concerns, but Netflix and Redbox are destroying the DVD industry. For some reason the movie companies can't figure out why it's more attractive to people to rent their movies for a dollar from Netflix, rather than buy $20 DVDs. They can't figure out why DVD sales are dropping.