Posted by Slosh (+703) 16 years ago
17 days, one hour and 23 minutes until baseball games return to Montana
Posted by Duncan Bonine (+290) 16 years ago
Slosh, Is that the Jackets home debut or are there other teams playing prior to that?
Yeah it is the Jackets home opener. They play Northwest Nazerene (who they lost to four times this last weekend.) The games on Friday start at Noon and on Saturday at 11 a.m.

The Pioneers are in Montana for the first time on March 22 when they go to Glendive to play Dawson in a single nine inning game. They are in Miles City for the Pioneer Tournament on the 24-26.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4462) 16 years ago
Praise the heavens for baseball.

You want in on the MC fantasy at Yahoo! Slosh?
Posted by Ford (+117) 16 years ago
I heard that the MC Mavericks start baseball practice on March 1. WOW...I can not believe that they are starting already. I guess the BB season is over and T&F is two weeks away.

What does the Maverick team have coming back? I heard that they are going to have the colts back this year. Are the numbers back up? I always thought that practice always began for us in mid-April. How are the T&F numbers at the hs for the boys?

I hope that the kids are being allowed to take part in both activities. I think that track is the most important sport for any athelete. I would push every baseball player to be out for track. I think that this would be the best spring conditioning for the baseball program.

Not saying that you could not still have baseball practice on Sundays. I believe that was the day we had practice. It allowed for the track kids to concentrate on the season and still do some baseball.
Yes the Mavs and track co-exist nicely. It is kind of a pain in the neck for both programs, but that's how it is. The Mavs have quite a few returning players this year, but they lost four of the top players from last season. Of course pitching is going to be the biggest question mark (when isn't it), but the defense should be solid and there are a ton of fast athletic kids on the team. They should do pretty well.

The Colts will return this year, in a different format. It's going to be more of a split-squad than an outright team. This will give the younger kids on the Mavs a chance to play, and the Babe Ruth kids a chance to play at a higher level. Will be a big plus for everyone.

When I played in Helena, we started pitching in January in the High School gym, and went outside the first of March. It seems awfully early, but it's necessary. MCC has been practicing hard since returning from Christmas, and they finally are outside this afternoon.

I would love to be part of fantasy baseball, how do I join in?
Slosh, do you think that the MC team should have went A' level? I just wonder about the numbers to be fully competitive at the AA' level. The pitching being the biggest question mark for the team. I think that the team will need eight quality pitchers for the tough season.

I just wonder about the kids doing to much and getting burned out. I believe that some of the players don't get a break. It seems that basketball season ends and then they start another sport. The problem in the spring is that some of the kids end up starting two sports. I just wonder what is best for the kids and the programs.

When is the first baseball game for the hs kids? It seems that it can turn out to be along off-season for the baseball kids. In turn making kids pick between sports and specializing in sports. I do not think that MC is big enough and ends up hurting everyone.

All-around atheletes are better off than those that just play one sport. I hate to see the numbers drop anymore and wish that kids would not feel that they were burned out.
Obviously I think that the Mavs could compete for a state title on a yearly basis at the A level more so than they could at the AA level. But after being in AA this long, it comes down to the fact that these kids need, and want, to play against the best competition.
Where is the fun in beating teams like Broadus or Wolf Point, when you could be playing against the Scarlets and Royals? And yes you do need eight quality pitchers to compete, but in Montana you can get away with three or four. That's what the Royals did last year.

Getting burned out is the biggest problem faced by these kids. I'll use Pat Regan and Brandon Sandau as examples. Starting with the fall of their junior year, they both started for the varsity football team, then Pat started for the basketball team, and Brandon came off the bench quite a bit. Then they both went into track and baseball at the same time. When baseball ended they got about four weeks off (other than practices of course) before the football season started, and the whole thing started up again.

But in Miles City, this is what we're faced with. The best baseball players are typically the best football players and basketball players. Miles City (and most towns of the same size) don't have the number of kids to put out competitive teams with players that specialize in that sport. So the same kids play all of the sports.

I got lucky, I went to a big enough school that it didn't matter that I pretty much only played baseball. (I did play football for a couple of years, but I was mostly a baseball player.) But Miles City can't do that.

And then again, this is what Miles Citians have been faced with since the beginning of sports in the area. You look at any of the athletes from the 20's and 30's, and it's the same situation.

The Mavs first game of the year is April 23. The first track meet is April 1
Slosh, is MC the only A' school playing AA' level? When would the A' season start? This is what the level that the Colts would be playing at this year? The A' level has the same numbers as the Mavs, I think. The A' level still has the same age level taking part as the AA'.

I thought that was part of the arguement with the Colts a few years ago. That some of the parents did not want the kids playing 18 year-olds. I like the idea of letting the players playing the higher level, but at what cost?

I think that the community needs to look at the level of playing. If the kids are loosing, then their not having fun. It seems that this is demoralizing to their attitude about playing. I just think it would drive the numbers farther down. What is the numbers at the Babe Ruth level.

Does MC allow the kids to take a week to take part of camps and all-star games? That would help in the sharing of players and allowing the kids to do something else.
Posted by Pluto (+97) 16 years ago
Sorry to jump in Ford, but I just wanted to point out a few things about Miles City sports. You are absolutely right that baseball is in a down cycle in Miles City, and the short term future may not be bright. We are also competing against teams that draw from a larger population.

Miles City has some beautiful built in excuses why we shouldn't compete with the big towns in baseball. Do you realize that the Cowboy basketball team has not won state since 1988? The Cowboy wrestling team is currently in an even bigger drought of state titles. In fact, there were many years that the basketball and wrestling teams were not even legit contenders to make it to state or do well at state. Do we talk about dropping down to "B" ball because we want to be competitive? No.

Recent history suggests the Maverick baseball team has been very good. I know, the kids playing today might not have enjoyed state success. However, if you erase the last few years from your mind, Miles City has been very successful. From 1990 to the early 2000's, you would have never dreamed of saying that Miles City should drop down. The Mavericks won a state title in 1995 and had several other title game losses. Plus, there were a few years that they either got upset or lost to a club the was simply outstanding at state. Those Missoula squads ring a bell. Over the course of the 1990's, I am guessing Miles City had more success against the Scarlets and Royals than those teams had against us. I could be wrong, but I can think of four years off the top of my head in the 1990's where the Mavericks won the Eastern AA. I would bet you a fistful of dollars that we were much better than Butte or Bozeman during that span.

Yes, kids in Miles City who are great athletes end up carrying more than one sports team. Yes, a few get burned out and cut their load to just one or two sports. Losing and winning are contagious (Sidney wrestling?), and losing leads to low numbers. But, so does playing summer ball in Broadus, Lewistown, Wolf Point, and Glendive. We have a "AA" facility, and if you have seen most "A" facilities you know what I'm talking about. We also have a plethera of great baseball minds. I'm partial, but Rob Bishop may be the best baseball coach in the state. Would he want to coach the Mavs? No. Is he a great resource that may not be fully realized? Yes.

We belong in "AA" as much as the Butte, Glacier Twins, Kalispell, or Great Fall's teams. What we really want, though, is to be a consistent winner like the Missoula and Billings teams on a year-to-year basis. That starts by building a program from Little League on up. And even then, if we have the perfect program, our population may not prevent us from down years like now. But you know what, as good as Helena has been recently, too. They are also in a down cycle.

Sorry for the essay!
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6121) 16 years ago
A few more-or-less coherent ramblings on my part -

What I find interesting is the discrepancy between the success of Miles City's girls athletic programs and Miles City's boys athletic programs. Both draw from the same relatively small population base as each other, but no one would ever suggest that the Cowgirls drop down to Class B. Most of the Cowgirl teams (basketball, track, golf and cross country, in particular) have been VERY successful at the state level over the past decade or longer. For example, there isn't a single Class A track program in the state that approaches level of success the Cowgirls have had. (Want details? Let me know.)

Without going into too much detail (after all, I do use my real name on this message board and don't want to ruffle TOO many feathers), I could offer several reasons why some programs do better than others in Miles City.

A great deal of the disparity between the boys and girls sports has to do with the quality and/or consistency of coaching. For most sports at the high school level, all one would have to do is look at the coaches of the girls sports and compare them to the coaches of the boys sports. This isn't to say that there aren't some outstanding boys coaches at CCDHS, but only a few of them have the same experience level as the girls coaches.

Bad coaching (due to incompetence, inexperience, poor ethics or any number of other factors - internal or external) leads to losing and low numbers.

In the case of the Mavs, the recent downturn hasn't been the result of bad coaching - they've had two excellent head coaches in the last six seasons - it's been the result of one excellent coach being replaced by another and the subsequent turmoil due to the sudden change. I wouldn't blame the Mavs' downturn on the coaches themselves, but on the people who make the decisions of who the coach should be and what their expectations (realistic or otherwise)are for them. It is my sincerest hope that Coach Phillips is given every ounce of support he needs to make the team competitive again. Fortunately, he's coming in under better circumstances than did his predecessor.

The Cowboy basketball team has had its opportunities to win titles since their last, but a combination of bad timing (1988-89), bad luck (1989-90) or bad attitudes (1999-00 and 2000-01) have prevented the Cowboys from earning more signs to hang on the south wall of the gym. It's not as if they've been bad the whole time - they've had their share of very good seasons since 1988. It's just that the Cowgirls have been so good during that span that no one really notices. Same goes in track, same goes in cross country (wait, MC doesn't have a boys' X-country team - WHY!?), same goes in golf. Cowboy Football has fluctuated between competitive to very good to outstanding (but never BAD), so it's not as if the Cowboys have been terrible across the board by any means.

I still wish MC had girls softball in the spring and boys CC in the fall (like any other school its size). The lack of the two programs is an embarassment. But at least we have a nice hut down the first base line at Denton.
Well put Pluto.

Miles City's enrollment numbers are far below that of any other AA program in the state. The last time I checked Miles City was in the 600 range, and the next closest was Butte at 1500 or something like that. And I think a lot of people in Miles City take pride in the fact that we are so much smaller. It's much like Butte Central having the enrollment of a small Class B school, but competing in Class A.

As a Helena boy that played against Miles City back in the mid to late 90's I can remember Miles City being one of the two or three teams that scared us. And then when my brother played on the Senators (the three years they won it), the Mavs were one of the best teams in the state and the Senators pulled off a great upset at state over those Mavs.

So I could definitly see things turning around for the Mavs at some point. Pluto nailed it when he said it starts at Little League. Numbers are ok at Little League, but drop significantly at Babe Ruth. For whatever reasons, kids aren't excited about playing Babe Ruth. One of the things that has been talked about was keeping some of the Pioneer baseball players around to coach the Babe Ruth kids. This would be a great idea for everybody. The kids get a chance to play for somebody they know and look up to, and they're getting the same coaching that Bishop gives the Pioneers.

I think we're on the right track with the Colts. They aren't going to be a Legion team exactly. They won't be part of any conference and won't play in post-season Legion tournaments. But they will play plenty of games and tournaments through the year. Once the Colts program gets going, the Mavs will get going to.
I got to go watch MCC practice yesterday at Tedesco, and it was glorious.
Pluto, I enjoyed your view on the situation at hand with the baseball team. My view comes from the stand point of the numbers and comparing AA'/A' schools. How many players go out for the teams at the true AA' schools? Do they have an under squad, such as the Colts? Do they have to use players from the babe ruth teams to make up the team? What shape and what are the numbers of the minor/major/babe ruth?

The point is simply, why is it such a bad deal for MC to strongly look at A'? I here the point of view that MC could not compete with AA' at any other sport; "because of the depth of those programs." Why is baseball any different? I think that it comes down to MC commitee not wanting to admit to the problem.

I never want to here that the coach is the reason for the low numbers. I do believe that, "if the players respect and trust the coach", it will go along way for the program. This is not the breaking point of any high school team.

The true root of the problem comes down to parents thinking "they know what is best." MC has along history of parent involvement with coaching their children. It starts as soon the child comes out of the mother. The dad's all have big dreams of making their child into all-american athlete. I have no problem, but I do when they become unreasonable. It is hard for a parent to give a true evaluation of their son or daughters' talent.

I understand that this is not true of all the parent/volunteer coach in MC. I do believe that many kids growing up can think of a coach whose purpose was selfish. I'm talking about the coach that was there for the son or daughters personal star power. This leads to the bigger problem of scaring many kids off from the sport. I think many kids stop playing because they feel as if there not being given a fair shot. I know that many feel this is a bunch of bs, but it is true.

I will go a step foward to another problem with this situation. The parent/coach thinks they know the game and knows it better than a coach at the upper level. They are behind the scences making the situation more diffucult for a coach. How? The kid goes home and complains to the parent about the way the coach is doing things. So, the parent starts joining in on the second guessing and then the kid looses respect for the coach. The parent puts on blinders for the coaching perspective and becomes a parent. Then the rumors start that the coach does not have a clue and they should get him out.

I believe MC needs to do a better job in supporting the coaches they have in position. A coach should never claim to be perfect and know they make mistakes. The first thing for a parent to do is communicate with the coach. I said nothing about bully/becoming aggressive with the coach or second guess the coach. There is a reason that a parent is not allowed to participate or be at the practice. The reason being the biased or partial opinion when dealing with their son or daughter. I do not believe that any coach should be forced into a decision and should be on the merit of talent. I wish the new coach of the Mavs all the best and hope that he is allowed to coach. Coaching is a learning process and it takes time to find your way.

The "facility" point is very true and it's a deserving of a AA' park. This is the same facility that the football team uses during the fall. I guess if your point is that the A' teams are crap and MC is to good to play in these facilities. Then I think that is a line of bs. I believe that there are many adequate facilities in A' and MC kids are spoiled. This should not be a basis for any debate. I believe that the fields that the hs teams play on are adequate.

The point of the basketball and wrestling teams is full of holes. The wrestling teams/numbers around the nation are declining. The teams that MC competes against are around the same numbers. If you go to any of the wrestling matches, with the exception of Sidney, you will see about the same numbers.

The basketball numbers around the Eastern A' are about the same. The exception to this rule would be Central. I believe that Central has high enough numbers for a soph. team. There has never been a point raised about the teams dropping to B'. The basketball team has had some success in the past five years. They have went to the state tournament and have been in the top three in the Eastern A'. They also have to make cuts and do not beg for players.

The wrestling team finished in the top ten at number nine. They wer one point out of the 8. They had a great wrestling season and the numbers are on the rise. The wrestling team competed very well in the Eastern A'. The exception being the Sidney team and they dominated everyone in the state. The Sidney team was nationally ranked team. The numbers in MC compared with the rest of the A' and may be higher than 3 other teams.

The 90's comparison is not true for this arguement. The numbers in the 90's at all levels were high. The reason that MC competed was because of the number of kids playing. Every year that the Mavs lost players due to age, there would be a new crop from the colts. The MC teams of the 90's had a good farm system to replace the players. Those teams were actually competing with the teams that they were playing. Why? Those Colt teams had older kids on the team. Those kids are now having to play on the Mavs. So, now MC is having to pull up Babe Ruth kids to play on the Colts. Now the Babe Ruth teams are getting the low numbers and are turning for the worse.

The Babe Ruth kids are now disappearing. Do you see a trend? The kids are being asked to play above their capabilities. This in turn makes them feel worthless. The players need to be groomed for the level of playing and not thrown to the wolves. The kids are not having fun and asked to do too much. Success breeds numbers in the program. Who said that the Mavs could not move back to the AA' level?

Is it true that the Mav program is being forced to have a Colt program? The reason being that you must have a "Colt" program and the Mav team has been on probation. If the Mav team cannot meet the requirements, they might be removed from the AA'.

I do not want this to be negative. I'm a firm supporter of the Mavs and love what the progam does for the kids. I want what is best for the for the kids and community. I wish the Mavs the best of luck and will be watching from the Mavericks.com. I hope them the best!
"plethra".....Interesting use of words? Three Amigos fan?
Sorry about the thesis!

[This message has been edited by Ford (edited 3/1/2006).]
Posted by Jared Bankey (+73) 16 years ago
FYI:
The high school has 567 students;
Boys- 287
Girls- 280
The incoming 8 grade has a 3 to 1 in favor of girls. I'm not sure about the number of students incoming/outgoing.
I'm enjoying all the posts, you all make great points. Ford, I am in no way knocking the Cowboy wrestling and basketball programs. I am just making the point that you can make a strong case for baseball being a healthier program over the last 15 years while competing at a higher level. Brian--many of those years the basketball (and football) teams experienced great seasons, the baseball team was also successful using many of the same players. Brian Larson, Joe Baker, Frank Wagner, Dustin Friese, and Ryan Wagner of Miles City played seemingly every sport. So did Tracy Larson, Shawn Gunther, Kelly Strobel, Trent Kale, and Kevin Howard in the early 90s. Baseball is not getting all of the best athletes in Miles City right now. Also, an often overlooked aspect of the baseball numbers game is that we used to get athletes from Broadus, Forsyth, Terry, and Baker. Those areas are now not sending their athletes here due to a variety of reasons.

Facilities and exposure do matter for most athletes. Love of sport is very important, but opportunities to excel in college is a huge motivating factor for most elite high school athletes. I'm not naive enough to say that you need to compete at the highest level to get recognized, but there is a great discussion on a different topic about the Mon/Dac being overrun with AA players. You will probably go a lifetime before you see a topic complaining of the Mon/Dac being overrun by class C players.

Great athletes will get noticed no matter where they play. What about the good athletes? Certainly they benefit from playing higher competition and gaining exposure helps. There was a pitcher from Red Lodge, Nolan Gallagher, a couple of years ago that played for Laurel. As soon as Laurel dropped down to A, the pitcher transferred to the Scarletts. Why? Better facilities? Exposure? Chance to compete against the best? Who knows?
Slosh, when do we get a preview of the MCC baseball team? They really upped their schedule this year.
Pluto - I agree with you about the quality of the athletes the Mavs had in the 1990's and early 2000's. I go back to my point about coaching. The quality of coaching has been outstanding for the Mavs, especially over the last 6 or 7 seasons. Unfortunately, one outstanding coach was replaced by another one for reasons never fully or even plausibly explained. Directly, or indirectly, the program took a sudden downturn. I would venture a guess that one of the reasons fewer and fewer of Miles City's better athletes didn't go out for the team was due to the problems between the Legion Board, parents on the board (and not on the board), and the coaches. Frankly, I wouldn't have wanted to be an athlete faced with that turmoil, nor would I want my son faced with the same situation. I'm not surprised that it's taking a lot of time to build the program back up. Add on top of that the Brandon Patch tragedy, and it's a slow-going process.
Brian, I said it earlier that this line of crap is bs. I'm talking about the coach being the reason. I know that some players want to know the coach. I believe that you are talking about the stability stand point. That is a line of bs and it does not mean anything.

Brian, Larson was brought in partly to get more kids out. The commitee felt that with Larson being younger, it would do this. They felt that he would spark interest in the kids. They also felt that with him on the football staff, this would add to the numbers.

What the heck level are the kids? I beleive that they are still in high school. Why isn't the coach at the high school? It all deals with the fact that, the coach can not be in contact, with the players.(1) I mean that was one of Larsons biggest problems, no contact.(2) Not a good working relationship with the high school coaches. (3)You have to work with the high school coaches and especially with the spring coaches. (4)You have to work with the summer programs.(5) Allow players a chnace to work on there other sports.

It's all about sharing the players that participate in various sports. I mean that is the thing that sucks about baseball. The time off for the players is also the time allowed by MHSA to do camps and work outs. Kids are being forced to make choices and it should not happen. MC is not the size of any other AA' town and they have to share. The coach is doing what needs to be done for his program and the kids are in the middle. The middle means that they have to make a choice.

If you want the kids you need to listen to there needs. It does not deal with the coach. Kids enjoy more than one sport and the summer is the time to mix all. They can do football, basketball, golf and then chose only baseball. Baseball is a comitment and takes all the other camps/all-star games away. I think that is the right thing, but the same point should be made for track. The players that are doing track should not feel the burden. They are not doing anything wrong and staying in shape.

I know that baseball puts its sport first during the season. So, does that mean that the hs track program should do the same. I would look at working a little better with the hs coaching staff. That means everybody involved with the hs athletics.

The other reason I think Bryan that the numbers have dropped is the mothers. The mothers feel that some of the kids are being abused by the amount being asked. That does not even go into the consideration the amount of kids that would rather work. Why? Got have those nice material things that makes you feel mature. I can't believe some of the things that the "mothered generation" has for themselves.(car,cell phone, twenty pairs of shoes,computer,tv,dvd players) They got to have those things or they might die. I came back to MC and was just suprised by the amount of vehicles around the school.

They would rather work and that is the "mothered generations" problem. They are a material generation and its the communities fault. Do not think of blaming the coach. They are a very selfish generation and the community has spoiled them.

Don't listen to their bs...kick there a** out the door and support them in athletics. They do not need all that extra material bs. What if they were in sports year around? Do you think that they would have time to complain?

Support the coach.....End of the story. If your kid comes home and complains about a coach, tell them to grow up! Then call the coach up and communicate with them. It does not hurt to be aware, but don't do it for the purpose of bullying. Your kid does not have to know....

The biggest other problem with baseball is the amount of women. Look at all the complaints? Where are they coming from? I think that the mothers booth is haven for gossip and back stabbing on the males in charge. Sorry but someone had to say it........

Sorry about the thesis and the bad grammar. I was in a hurry.

supporter
Okay Ford. I totally ignored your posts, because they don't make any difference. You can post and post and post and maybe you are making the right point, but I'm not going to read the ramblings. This is the deal:

People don't turn out for sports in this town like they used to because 15 families have made it a point to "own" sports. People aren't really concerned in the first place. It's no longer a mystery that programs outside of sports create the greatest benefit for students. Parents aren't willing to force their kids to deal with the big fish in this little town. It's not worth the effort.

There are too many ways for children to succeed. I live and die by baseball, but too many people are turned off by the social club that has become sports in Miles City.
supporter
Wait Ford! I read a few lines of your post. Damn those mothers raising funds for youth sports!

Man, you must be huffing on the wrong glue.
Buck, sorry....how wrong you are...Some of the reason that they work in the mothers booth is to wave part of the cost of baseball. The other reason is they can't stand sitting and watching the game. Then it seems to give some the feeling of support/being part of the program. They all make it too be a big deal. How much money do they rasie for the baseball assoc.?

Maybe they can raise the money for kids that can not afford to play. Or how about the parents that are working two/three that can not work at the mothers booth? Next time your at the ball park you should listen to the dribble coming out of that place? Give me a break?

Yes, I know that they are not all evil. I think that you would be suprised what some of the mothers have done in the negative. Put your blinders back on and stick your nose back in the air.

Don't use this to attack my opinion...next time I'm in town we can meet and discuss this issue. These were not meant to be personal attacks, but there is more than one problem. I'm sorry, but I'm not the only one that see's this to be true. The easy fix is to blame the coach and not look at the facts.

I have just given my opinions...know enjoy the season from the box.
"The true root of the problem comes down to parents thinking "they know what is best." MC has along history of parent involvement with coaching their children. It starts as soon the child comes out of the mother. The dad's all have big dreams of making their child into all-american athlete. I have no problem, but I do when they become unreasonable. It is hard for a parent to give a true evaluation of their son or daughters' talent."

[b]I couldn't have stated that particular point of yours any better, Ford. You summed up the EXACT reason why Helber was given the boot in favor of Larson. Two parents, in particular, on the Legion Board were the impetus for Helber's exit. Helber was shown the door by being offered the position of "coach emeritus," whereby he would be expected to help groom his replacement, Bryan Larson, who was hired before Helber was even given the rather insulting offer. The two parents - mothers of former Mavs (one player was one of the best players to wear a Mavericks uniform, the other a good kid and very hard worker with some success but with talent limitations not acknowledged by his mother) who felt that the team should have placed better than fourth at the 2001 state tournament - led the charge to give Helber the boot the following season.

As a result of their "meddling in things that ought not to be meddled in," Helber went from being the toast of the town after the 2001 Newhouse win to being fired (and rehired after a mass protest by the players themselves) immediately before the 2002 Newhouse tournament, in which they placed a VERY impressive second, to being shown the door immediately after the season.

I know the details of Helber's departure because the coach gave me a copy of the email he received from Dr. Rauh, informing him of the Legion Board's decision to not retain him as head coach. Keep in mind that Helber had already been assured at the time of his midseason rehire that he would be retained for the remainder of the season and beyond.

Larson was NOT brought in to increase the numbers of the program. Did you not notice the sharp drop in numbers between the 2002 and 2003 seasons? (The even-steeper decline between the 2003 and 2004 seasons were understandable and were the fault of no one.) Larson was brought in because he was a well-known and liked Miles City native, younger, and (most-importantly) perceived to be easier to mold in the image of the coach the Legion Board wanted him to be, rather than an older, much more experienced coach who did things more his way that the Board would have liked.

This is not intended as an insult to Bryan, a person for whom I have a great deal of respect. I have liked and respected Bryan since he was the quarterback (and I was a offensive tackle) of the 1994 Cowboys. None of my disdain for the way the Helber situation was handled is directed toward Bryan in any way.

Ford, I agree with you to an extent about parents meddling. As a former player, sports editor and a current father, I understand the issue from multiple angles. When I was a three-sport athlete, I wanted to perform well for my parents and for myself, but I can't recall more than once (which was well-justified) that either one of my parents 'meddled' with a decision made by one of my coaches. When I covered sports for the Gazette, the Winona (MN) Daily News, and later for the Star from 2001-03, I had a different view of parents than I had earlier in my life. Some parents were and are outstanding supporters of their childrens' coaches and athletic programs. Some are not, moreso than I was comfortable with. (Believe me, I never enjoyed watching an MC-Billings Central game anywhere near the visitors' section due to some parents in particular. Talk about NOT FUN. Digressing...) Some parents refuse to recognize their childrens' limitations and some take it too far. As a parent, I understand the feeling. I hope that I am able to find a balance between reason and wanting to see my son and hopeful future children succeed.

You will not find someone who is more loyal to CCDHS athletics than I am. I would imagine that Josh or any number of people could vouch for me on that point. I am proud to have played for and worked with many coaches at CCDHS. I am equally proud to have worked with coaches that I did not play for but came to know professionally when I covered sports for the Star. My loyalty to the Mavs and MCC is not as strong, but I am still a fan of the programs and want nothing but the best for the players and coaches of those teams.

That said, I will never claim for a minute that any coach is perfect, just as I will never claim that I am perfect or that I was the best player or best sports editor Miles City has ever seen. I wasn't. Coaches make mistakes - some small and easily forgiveable, others more serious and some critical. Questioning a coach is not inherently BS, as you put it, Ford. In some cases, complaining about a coach is much more than a kid whining and being needed to be told to "grow up." Some coaches NEED to be questioned. This is particularly true when they jeopardize the health of their athletes, for instance. This was the case with one longtime coach who was let go awhile back. Some complaints are petty, some high school athletes are just lazy, and some parents are meddlesome, but that can't preclude a coach from being held accountable when they need to be. Some things cannot be exempted and thinking so is incredibly shortsighted.

When I posted this: Bad coaching (due to incompetence, inexperience, poor ethics or any number of other factors - internal or external) leads to losing and low numbers. I was careful to include "other factors - internal or external.: Bad coaching does not necessarily mean that a program has a bad coach. Often it means that a program's coach is not given the support he or she needs to guide the team to as much success as possible. This was the case with Helber. Helber was not a bad coach, but his coaching was rendered ineffective (it's hard to coach when you're stabbed in the back and shoved out the door) when he was deceived and treated with an utter lack of respect by the Legion Board.

While we agree on some things and disagree on others, I can't side with much of what you stated from your seventh paragraph down, Ford. While I hate cellphones with a heated passion and agree with your assertion that some kids take a lot for granted, I won't automatically blame it on a kid's mother (or father). Kids everywhere have more material things than ever before. If children didn't have more than their parents' did at their age, what kind of parents are they? Some go overboard, but for the most part, if you want your kid to have less than you did at their age, I'd question your parenting abilities and love for your child. Who doesn't want more for their children?

And if you have a problem with your thinly-veiled misogyny, take it elsewhere. That is a much more ripe pile of BS than anything else posted on this thread. There are good parents, and there are bad parents, just as there are hard working and respectful kids and there are spoiled punks. But painting your "mothered generation" with such broad strokes is insulting and irresponsible. I'd rather have seen an apology for that than one for your "thesis and bad grammar." Your "sorry but someone had to say it..." doesn't count.

Speaking of which, I've rambled on for about 30 minutes and 1500 words or so. I'm looking forward to anyone's response, provided that they haven't fallen asleep by this point.
supporter
I think you're are both illiterate. You missed the point. The mothers aren't evil, the coaches aren't horrible. The attitudes of the families that feel they own sports in Miles City have destroyed the potential of the young. If you aren't a Reid or Stevenson (the names change every 5 or 10 years, but the point is the same), you don't have the potential. It's been the same way for years. You can take off your blinders and come take a look.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (edited 3/1/2006).]
Are you saying I'm illiterate, Buck? If so, I have to say that I typed pretty well for not being able to see through my blinders. Tell me how I missed the point of what you just mentioned. I didn't name names of the people I had a problem with out of courtesy, but that isn't to say that I missed the point. And please tell me how the Stevensons have helped ruin sports in Miles City.
Brian, I was not questioning your loyalty. Don't question me as a parent. I do not believe that material crap is essential at the hs age. I beleive that doing things in life that, you only have one chance of doing are. The "mothered generation" means the meddling that parents do. Have you ever coached a hs team? No. Then don't compare being a sports editor with coaching. There is a reason when sports editors walk in the room, coaches shut up.

Give me a break... I will give you an example of the "mothered generation". A parent once asked me "if we could make it more fun for the players"...What..."Maybe the kids could play some fun games and have some contests"....holding it in....""The kids are working to hard and their ready for the game"....really...."Yes, some of the mothers thought it would be fun"....well...."Will have prizes for the kids and it will be fun"...I don't know......"You work the kids so hard, we thought it would be nice"....ummm...."We just wanted to do something for are babies"....Maybe after the game.

This was the week of the State Championship Game. GROW UP! This is the "mothered generation"! Did your parents ever try to get a coach fired? How about because the coach did not allow for "fun time" out of his practice time? Wake up! I know that all parents are not that way, but the one's that are sure back stabbers. Did a parent ever try to get coach fired because you did not start?

Give me a break...I'll say "mothered generation"....I've deserved the right. So, shame on you! Grow up! It was a general statement.

I know that your not comparing the editor/coach and don't mean any harm. I enjoy your loyalty to MC sports, but I'm making general statements. I have been back to MC to see some of the crap myself. Plus I have friends in the coachng staffs.

Posted by GL (+36) 16 years ago
Brian has hit the nail on the head. I'm glad that he posted what he did. People have gotten away with self-serving ways here for too long.

Brian didn't mention any names - I will. Deb Shaw (mother of Tyrel Gentry) and Roxanne Harding (mother of Matt and current player Jimmy)were the main reason Helber was booted and they are still trying to run the association. The baseball program will never be worth a darn as long as people like this are allowed to meddle in things.
Brian and GL, good pick up on some of the problem. There is still a couple of people not being named. Maybe some people have not taken notice of their meddling. Who is the head of Babe Ruth? I also noticed that there were two ladies in the mothers booth that their child was not playing last year. There is also the cameleon of all-time that has his nose into everything. He is on the Mon/Dak and answers to everybody.
You're telling me to grow up, Ford? Do you think before you type? In answer to your question, yes, I have helped coach a high school team (girls softball).

More importantly, I've "grown up" to the point where I know not to make such general (or more appropriately, foolish) statements as "Support the coach.....End of the story" or "I think that the mothers booth is haven for gossip and back stabbing on the males in charge".

In other words, I know when not to spout off when I have my head where it physically shouldn't be possible.

Jackasses are far more of a danger to Miles City than a parent ever was (unless of course, you're talking about a jackass parent. Then you'd have a point). To defend your "general statements" because you've "earned the right" isn't only asinine, it's hypocritical to the point of being hilarious at best or pathetic at worst. You've earned the right? Tell me that doesn't smack of a feeling of entitlement, very similar to the attitude of the kids (and their parents) you're so quick to condemn.

Were I to follow your lead, I'd read your posts and assume (or make a "general statement") that nearly everyone on this message board is a fool because I had a problem with one or a few posters in particular. Would that make sense? Heck no. Would I be laughed at or dismissed as a fool? Probably. Frankly, I'd hope so and certainly wouldn't act defensive if I was.

Let me ask you this: How many sports editors do you know? Do you doubt that Dawn Dee Stirling ever had anything but the integrity of athletics in Miles City when she very ably and respectfully covered sports for the Star? Do you assume that Josh isn't absolutely passionate and completely immersed in the sports scene in the community? Then don't assume that I ever viewed my former job as an opportunity to postively promote Miles City's youth as much as I could. They're both fans and supporters just as much as they were/are professionals. So am I.

Even though I'm no longer at the Star (they certainly don't need me with the job that Josh does), I still dedicate a healthy percentage of my free time to document the history of sports at CCDHS. Why? Because I love the program and I want to do what I can to emphasize one of the things that makes Miles City special. If I can research something to give to Josh to use in his coverage or provide record books for the coaches, then I am more than happy to do it.

I will support any coach that has the interest of the team (and not just his or her ego) at heart. I will question any coach that feels he or she is beyond reproach simply because they've "earned the right." I've done so in the past and I am sure I will again, just as I have questioned or criticized the actions of some parents in the past and likely will do so again.

But I'll never paint with such broad strokes that I find myself trapped in the corner, Ford. If you can only defend your point with BS, what does that say about your point?

Do I like "sportsmanship awards" instead of "player of the game" recognition? Heck no. Do I believe that players should play soft and be friends with the other team out on the field or court? No. I believe players should play as hard as possible within the rules. That's my philosophy and sometimes it clashes with that of a parent, administrator or coach.

You may or may not find this of interest, but I have blindly supported a coach because I thought it was the right thing to do only to find later that what others were saying about was right.

When this particular coach was nearly fired after the 1992-93 season, I publicly supported this individual (and took a stand against my teammates and friends in the process). Only after he held on to his job did I realize that my friends were right and what they were saying was true. This is the coach that I alluded to earlier when I mentioned coaches that jeopardize the health of their athletes. Again, I won't name names, but I am sure there are those who know to whom I am referring. He was a very successful and tenured coach at CCDHS who no longer heads the team but who "resigned" several years ago due to very questionable ethics when it came to his athletes' conditioning, for lack of a more descriptive term. As I've said before, some coaches need to be questioned. Coaches need to realize that more than anyone.

That said, would I ever view the majority of parents as enemies of the team because a relative handful are somewhat overzealous or misguided? No. I'd nod my head, smile, think about the points that made sense and dismiss the ones that didn't and go about my business. I hope that I'd never allow my ego to cloud my judgment to the point where I think I know anything better than everyone else. I especially wouldn't try to defend a weak or childish point if I knew in my heart that I was wrong.

That's maturity, Ford. You'd be better served to save your "shame on you's" and "grow up's" for yourself.
Brian, did you not loose your starting position to Eric Hartman? Did your parents not try to get Jerry Partidge fired? You still have your blinders on! Girl softball? Seems like fair to compare....mmm...Maybe that's why the singing the praise of the girls coaches.

Were talking about Coach Raymond or Coach Rolhoff?

I was not trying to get personal....But Reid take your BS somewhere else. I'm sure that Slosh enjoys all your stats....? Turn to Buck and tell him stats about the Stevenson's.

Because I'm sure that you will be handful for any coach that has your child. I am sorry Brian, but that was my personal opinions. So, you don't have to answer and your not the only one with facts.

GROW UP! Maybe the "dad generation" started with your class of 95'. Rainman...lol...tell me some stats from the bench! Is that where you sat most of the time, until dad forced the hand.

Know this is about baseball...How many players did the Mavs have?

Brian, I'm going to bed. It's been nice, but let's quit before we get thrown off. I just thought of another fact from the 92-93 commission, Joan Monaghan. That is another fact and I'm staying with the begining of the "mothered generation", better yet "mother generation". The "mothered" could be the second generation. Easy quit repeating numbers...let it out...but not here. Thanks its been fun Brian.

Yes, I started the first six games and Eric started the last five. I had roughly equal playing time as Eric did in his starts, so I probably was on the field on offense at about a 60/40 split with Eric. How that has anything to do with the current conversation, I have no idea. Even if it was relevant, when did I ever claim to be all-world? Eric was a good player and better at run blocking than I was. I was a better pass-blocker. Being as we ran the ball 75 percent of the time, you can probably do the math. No big deal. I probably should have worked harder than I did. Accountibility is a good thing.

No, my parents never tried to get Mr. Partridge fired. My grandfather had some words with him (tactfully phrased and completely unsolicited by either me or my parents), but by no means did he ever try to get him fired. My grandfather, being a former player, coach, teacher and high school superintendent for most of his life, I would say he had just slightly more perspective than most parents might. But that's neither here nor there, and equally irrelevant as the number of starts I had.

I would hope that I have moved on an inch or two over the last 12 years. Enough so not to hide behind a pseudonym, perhaps. (by the way, it's R-E-E-D, not Reid. If you look closely at my actual name, conveniently located on all of my posts, you might notice the lack of any 'I' in the word Reed. Take a look.) Maybe even enough to not feel the need to resort to childish ALL CAPS, unnecessary exclamation points (or the dreaded combination of the two). I may have even gotten to the point where I don't need tact or subtlety. Who knows?

I have never had anything but respect for Coach Rohloff. As for Coach Partridge, I can't say that I appreciated him letting his personal moral judgment of a personal situation of mine lead to a not-completely-informed decision for me not to start after the Colstrip game, but you know what? I've moved on. Call it growing up if it makes you more comfortable.

Not that it matters, but yes I do enjoy girls sports on the whole more than boys sports. Why? Probably because of a greater perceived team concept and less ego.

What I am sure of is this: I won't hide and snipe from a distance. I'll gladly provide a personal opinion, but I'll back it up with well-documented fact. I'll also be sure to check my spelling before submitting a post.

Try to insult me if it makes you feel better. But don't insult my son. Especially if you don't have the balls to attach your name to your posts.

By the way, there were 19 players on the Mavs' roster in 2002 and 14 in 2003. There were even fewer in 2004, but because Bryan's "stat program took a crap on us" (his words), I don't have season stats for 2004 or 2005.
Brian, I don't want to put words in your mouth because you are very well spoken, but I will try anyway. Ford--my opinion on your discussion with Bryan on today's parents is this:

Parents need to listen to their children. Whether it is concerning school work, summer jobs, friends, or sports. It is important to know what is going on in their lives, period. It is also important to have rational discussions with your child when he or she is upset. As parents, we need to help our children become problem solvers. So we ask: Did you talk to your coach about....? What did he say? etc. We also try and discern what the the real story is, and help our children understand the teacher/coach/employers point of view. All of this is Parenting101. Do we try and solve all of our child's problems? No. Do we step in when we feel like a serious issue (not playing time concerns!) can't be resolved without our interference? Absolutely. I would never risk my childrens' health or safety.

I can't think of a coach in Miles City who would be unwilling to meet with a concerned parent who approaches them in an appropriate setting (not interrupting practice for starters, calling at 10:00 at night, or immediately after a tough loss) as long as the parent is polite and nonthreatening.

Yes, Miles City has parents who are too involved with questionable motives, but the alternative is parents who are not involved at all. The truth to the matter is that if all parents were involved, the radical few would have no impact.

On a side note, the baseball and soccer associations are nonprofits and are required to have open meetings. They are published in the newspaper. The public is welcome to attend. Most leadership roles are filled by finding the one volunteer who is available and willing to do the task, usually after being rejected by many others who won't or can't. There really is little personal glory in doing the work that make these organizations successful. I believe you chose to condemned these people who have their noses into everything. I disagree.

However, if you do choose to attend you will know the inner workings of the organizations, and you will not need to get all of your information through rumors or your children. After all, you don't just take your child's (or neighbor's) word for it that your child is doing well at school. You still attend parent/teacher conferences, read their report cards, and call the teachers to check-up on them.
supporter
Okay, here is problem number 2. We can't get over our big fight from 1995 when Billy took Johnny's girl.

Problem 3 would have to be the massive piles of crap flying around.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (edited 3/2/2006).]
Blame the Stevensons and Reids.....?
I don't even know who Ford is, Buck (although he apparently knows me). And he does have a point about your willingness to call BS on someone but not recognize your own.
I don't believe the Stevensons ever played baseball at the upper level. I also believe the Reids have two girls that never played baseball. I know that the Reids have a son, but not in the hs.

How was the turnout for the Mavs? Was it more than 22?

[This message has been edited by Ford (edited 3/2/2006).]
I got a email stating that the "turnout was around 10". The practices were optional and will be held every day except on Sat. This was the info I recieved through an email and not sure if correct. So, practice Mon.,Tues.,Wed.,Thurs.,Fri.,and Sunday, with optional attached.
"THE Stevensons" (aka the Stevensons and Sons clan) never played baseball. The "Other Stevensons" - Greta, Ann and Vince (no relation to Jason, Scott, Mikel, David, Tiffany and T.J.) were just as athletic, though. Vince, for instance, was a very good player for the Mavs in 2002 and 2003, especially.

FYI: Please never confuse me with the Reid clan.
Vince, is not from the Todd or Joe clan of Stevensons. So, not part of the Stevenson and Sons clan.

[This message has been edited by Ford (edited 3/2/2006).]
Didn't I just say that, Ford? That's what my "no relation" comment in my post meant. It didn't mean that they weren't getting any.

So, I'm still dying to know who you are. You've got me at a disadvantage.
"Getting any".......? Are temples popping out yet? Numbers are your peace....Relax and take in some oxygen. Quit hitting your head off the desk!
Oh my head is fine, Ford. I have a stitch in my side from laughing at your occasional absurdity, but my head and keyboard are both intact. Seriously, who are you? Email me if you'd prefer.
Wow, I didn't think a topic about the greatest thing in the world, baseball, would turn out like this. How about we start a new topic where we can talk about baseball. Not moms, dads, bashing coaches or any of the other garbage that has been on here in the last 30 posts. If anyone else wants to join me, I'll be in a new thread.
Posted by William S. (+73) 16 years ago
Ford,

"That does not even go into the consideration the amount of kids that would rather work."

Wow, that's a new complaint about this generation. They work too hard? Tell that to the older generations and the fast-food, retail joints constantly looking for workers.

Working hard for a living would seem to be in direct opposition to your theory regarding the "mothered" generation. Which way is it?
Posted by William S. (+73) 16 years ago
Pluto,

Hmmmmm? Or should I perhaps address you as Tracy, Trent or Kevin?

"So did Tracy Larson, Shawn Gunther, Kelly Strobel, Trent Kale, and Kevin Howard in the early 90s." I don't quite understand the context of this quote in this discussion. I don't recall any of those names being associated with championship teams?
William, how long do you have to play hs sports? How long will you be working for after hs? The point was choosing the material things over hs sports. "Got have this....!" " I would rather work and play the ps & X-box" That was my point. I know not all kids are athletes and can't compete at the hs level. I do know there are plenty that can and wish for the material things.
While I'll probably regret responding to Ford again, here goes...

If a kid wants to play his or her XBox instead of sports, let them. Your priorities are not theirs. You may wish and hope and pine away that they'll come out and compete, or you can make the most with the team you have and redirect the energy you waste on complaining toward helping the kids you do have playing for you the best they can be. Besides, it's their loss, not yours.

Coach Polich would have had another couple of trophies (not that he has a shortage) had even some of the potentially-outstanding athletes of the early 2000s gone out for track instead of doing whatever they opted to do instead. Did you hear JP rant about how terrible those kids parents were? No. He's got too much class for that and has coached long enough to know better.

You can deal with your frustration at your perceived lazy generation of kids and their terrible parents all you want, Ford. It's your prerrogative. Unless of course, your intentions for wanting able-bodied kids to come out for sports is for your glory instead of theirs. In that case, you'd be no better than one of the parents that you love to hate and those videogame-playing kids would be better off without having to fulfill your agenda.
I think what Ford's trying to say is that once your high school playing days are over, so is your life. So enjoy it while you can, kids! Wait, GROW UP! (So ... confused ... don't know ... what ... to ... think ... conflicting messages ... brain ... losing ... function ... synapses misfiring ... aaagh!) Must find fault in others, must find fault in others, there - centered again.
William S.--Trent Kale, Tracey Larson, Shawn Gunther, Kevin Howard, Kelly Strobel, and Rob Bishop were all great baseball players at the legion level. Maybe you were a fan of the team? In 1990, they took second at state, in one of the all-time great tournaments. The championship game ended at 2:00 in the morning. The next year, they had a dominating team that ran into some bad luck and fizzled at state...They went something like 19-1 in conference. The conference included a Dan Rude led Billings Royals team. Maybe Brian could help me out with the records. It was the start of a really good decade of baseball.
Well put, Pluto. My record info is at home, but I'm sure Rob would have even better info than I have. Jon Plowman was not great at archiving his old stat information.
Brian, what don't you get? I made general statements about some parents and kids I have been in contact with. I know that not all parents are that way or kids are worthless. I was making general statements about some of the problems with decline of kids. I know what to do with the kids I have, but hate the idea of the coach being blamed. The kids will play the sport if they want to and shouldn't tell their mommies that "it's the coach".

I'm talking about decline in the terms of the generation. But taking an active role in sports.

[This message has been edited by Ford (edited 3/3/2006).]
Yes, but you've got to realize that 999 out of 1000 high school kids are going to say "it's the coach" or something else pointing the finger at someone other than themselves. You've got to realize that it's going to happen and roll with it. It's adolescence. And you have to know that 999 out of 1000 parents are going to side with their kids. But of those 999, it's only a percentage who take it too far and wreak havoc with a coach or administrator. For every Deb Shaw or Roxanne Harding (their names have been said by someone other than me, so I feel no obligation to withhold their identies), there are at least 20 parents (mothers and fathers) who exhibit some common sense and realize that they don't know everything when it comes to managing a team. Take issue with the hens that peck, but don't chop all of their heads off based on the actions/attitudes of a relative few. OK, bad cliche, but it gets my point across.

And some kids (too many for my tastes, too, Ford) are lazy at worst, or at best, motivated by something other than what we'd like them to be. But you can't dwell too much on them - just focus your attention on the kids who are there that would rather be nowhere else. If the parents of the "distracted" kids have a problem, just be honest with them. Be tactful, but honest. But if coaches have the attitude that parents are all the same, then those coaches shouldn't be surprised when some parents make assumptions of their own (be it concerning their kid's abilities or the coach's effectiveness).

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (edited 3/3/2006).]
Bryan, who dod you think they are going to blame when the numbers fall? Why wouldn't my son or daughter wan to play? "Well my kid said this and my kid this!" Heaven for bid that something is close to the same and that means the coach. I just think that some of the coaches are geeting a bad rep. If you know hens when they start pecking, they will not be happy, until the rest of the house has there feathers in a bunch. Bad analogy and sentence structure. Point being that some parents in the smaller community go on a vendeta. If they have a problem they will not let it go and create problems out of nothing. This can become hard for a coach when they attack the personal lives of the coach. It can be easy for some and really hard for others. I don't think the hens would like an audience at their jobs. I know it is easy to critique and stand over the top of someone else, but that is not very christian. The smaller communities brag about the close knit peole and how people are nice.

Well, become a coach at a smaller community where politics are played with ones lively hood. I mean you don't like the coach that means the teaching he/she does at the school. It sometimes turns into a living hell for some coaches and they love the job.

I mean the abuse that some people take from the community members are terriable. They are afraid to go out of their house and have a drink because someone might think their bad. They have become these people with no lives and afraid of the community. I know that it is not the community as whole, but it only takes a couple of vengeful people. The coach becomes paranoid that she/he might see some angry parent and they will make a scene. Or better yet complain to the administration or a school board member.

If you think about what you enjoy doing and times it by infinity, you will find a coach. I mean the crap and the harassment that the coach goes through, it's not money. It is love for the sport and watch the kids grow in athletics. I'm talking about life and what athletics provides for younger people.

I can care less whether Jimmy is palying, but I will ask Jimmy. I think that it is becoming the same way for the coaches and they don't want to deal with it. I know that the sports are not everything and there is more to life. But it saved this person and gave me structure in my life. I can name off a thousand different thing that I learned from playing sports. I can only think of hundred things from working.

When was the last time you saw a thank you in the paper from more than one person? I'm talking about a thank you for all the hard work that a coaching staff does? How about thank you after a loosing season? Have you ever seen more than one? MC had good football season, but a rough ending. Was there nay thank you letters to the coaches? I'm sure that their were plenty of misguided opinions about the call's made. Did anyone thank the two varsity coaches? I'm sure they thanked their seniors and told the juniors, see you next year.

I'm sure that some of the coaches don't seem personable, but when they don't know who to trust....You made them this way and I don't see anyone working with what they got. It's always the easy way out bring in a new coach. Well, try to support the coach and communicate all the way with the coach. Don't play cloak and dagger, secret agent man with him. The coach is not a mind reader and does not know if their is a problem. If you want honesty out of your coach, then be honest with him.

If you want stability...That is my opinion how to do it.If not then ask Larson about some of the bs. I'm sure that he does not like being the bad guy either, but somebody had to say some of the stuff said.

Sorry about the grammar, in a hurry walking out the door. Rember just my opinion with my dealings in coaching.
Posted by Tyrel Gentry (+17) 16 years ago
CRITICS!!!!!!!!
I started out with this headline because that is what 95% of the people on this website are. These people want to piss and moan about every decision that has been made on any topic on this site.
If you are an avid reader on this site you will know that the biggest complaints are about Miles City Baseball and their numbers and coaches. Let me lead you into the truth about some misrepresented topics that have been brought up on this website.

First, everyone wants to blame the Baseball association commitee for all of the problems with the Mavs. The firing of Jack Helber to start with was not due to two women on the association, this was to do with the lack of attention given to different details during the seasons Jack was the skipper. Some of the statements about Deb Shaw and Roxanne Harding that a few people have made are pretty petty especially when these people don't know what the facts are ( but I forgot critics know all facts) There is no doubt that Helbs knew what he was talking about but he was fortunate enough to recieve a team that was already well on their way. I played for Helbs and no doubt loved every minute of it and the time I had playing for him, a great man and a wonderful friend.
In 2000 the team Helbs recieved was good but quickly exited the 2000 state tourney with only two games under their belts.( nobody ever refers to this team though) The team everyone wants to compare to Jack's time here to is the 2001 team. 7 seniors, 5 juniors and 2 sophomores was the full time roster. A lot of great memories with this team and a few bad that ended a great season. To my surprise nobody on this site has tore into me about getting thrown out at home plate during the state tourney and then losing to the eventual state champ Helena Senators by 1 run. WHAT ARE YOU CRITICS, SLACKING?
A perfectly good topic to take a backstabbing shot at a Mav coach and you guys let it slip by, WOW-IMPRESSIVE!

The greatest part of critics is how whenever someone needs help or a team is struggling, critics are the first people to run and hide when asked for help. Critics will lie in the bushes close by and then as soon as that person or team fails they are the first people to stand out and say " If I would have, or if it would have been my team, things would have been way different."

Let me clue you in on something, Bryan Larson stepped down as Mavs Head Coach over 7 months ago and the position was open to anyone who wanted it. For some strange reason I didn't see any of your names thrown into the hat to accept the responsibility. WHAT'S THE PROBLEM, AFRAID OF CRITICS? TO MUCH PRESSURE? Once again, funny how you critics seem to disappear when someone or a team needs help.

Maybe it's time for the criticizing to stop and let the people who volunteer their time away from their families to help your children and friends be athletes and have some fun. Stop hiding behind a website and some cutsy little log name. If critics want to voice their opinion they are more than welcome to come to meetings and offer ideas on how to help our baseball team the meetings are open to the public and are held the first Tuesday of every month at First Interstate Bank and 7 pm, but until you come out face to face and voice your opinion you are all GUTLESS!

In closing I would just like to thank the people who have been around for many many years putting forth exhausted efforts to hold a non-profit organization together. ( Jim Regan, John Laney, Deb Shaw, Randy Rauh, Roxanne Harding and past, present, and future coaches and many others) These people have worked way to hard to have people like the CRITICS bring them down. Their work DOES NOT go unseen and it is very much appreciated.

Good luck this season Mavericks and kick some tail!!

P.S. I never tell the critics their doing a bad job, they always do a great job of pissing and moaning!!!( they just never want to do anything about the problem)

SINCERELY,
MAVERICKS ASSISTANT COACH- TYREL GENTRY
Tyrel - Just in case you're listing me as one of the "gutless critics" you take issue with, name one time that I have ever been anything less than supportive of the Mavericks? While you're mulling that over, name one time that I've ever used anything other than my real name on here or any other message board. So, if you consider me one of the CRITICS!!! that you're shouting at, consider this:

My frustration with the Legion Board/Helber situation has to do with the dishonest and disrespectful way his tenure as coach ended. Had he been fired outright, or had the situation been handled with more transparency, I still would have thought it a shame but it would have at least been honest. But offering him the position of "Coach Emeritus" after his replacement had already been hired was an insult. The Legion Board should have known better.

As I've stated before, I have never had anything against Bryan. I like him, I respect him and any problems I had with the Helber situation does not carry over to him in anyway. If anything, I felt that the way his tenure started was as unfair to him as anyone.

I have never said a negative word publicly or amongst friends about the Mavericks, their assistants or their head coach. You may or may not remember, but I talked you all up pretty well when you won the Newhouse and the year after when the team finished second. I may not have covered your team as well as Josh does (who can?), but I did the best I could and I feel that the team never suffered from a lack of coverage.

Here are the three times since 2001 that I've had issue with a situation involving the Mavericks (none of which involved the players or coaches):

1.) I had (and still have) a problem with a beer company sponsoring the Newhouse. I thought it was an example of extremely poor judgment for the Newhouse organizers to give championship jackets out to the Mavericks that had Coors Light stitched on the front. Very appropriate for high school-aged kids. I wrote a pretty damn good column about the situation but it was vetoed by my editor and publisher because the Star didn't want to do the right thing by pissing off Blue Rock - as a result, the column never saw the light of day. Regardless, that was an instance that I did what I thought was right to support the kids who play sports in MC;

2.) The Helber firing, which has been discussed at length;

3.) The building of Patch's Corner. (Now before anyone goes off half-cocked, just read...) Nothing is wrong with building a clubhouse for the players, but I felt personally that Brandon Patch's memory could have been better served by doing something other than what amounts to a very nice hut down the first base line. Maybe a scholarship fund that would benefit kids that might not otherwise be able to afford to play, or a grant to finally help start girls' softball at CCDHS. Either one, in my opinion (and yes, it's just an opinion, not a CRITICISM!!!) would have been a farther-reaching and longer-lasting way to pay tribute to a young man and baseball player's memory. That said, the way the donations were handled were the Patch family's decision to make and I respect it. So, before anyone goes flying off the handle, let me say that I'm not trying to CRITICIZE!!!

Tyrel, if I still lived in Miles City, I'd gladly be more involved with the Mavericks, CCDHS athletics, MCC athletics and any other athletic program in the community. But since I live in Billings, I really can't do that. What I can do is offer my two cents' worth in one of the few forums that Miles City has. It's not a way for me to hide or be gutless (again, I use my name on everything I've ever written). I quit the Star and left Miles City because of the Brandon Patch situation (I refused to interview his parents at his funeral out of respect - my publisher didn't agree with my decision). For better or worse, I live here now but still support Miles City athletics in any way I can. Ask John Polich, Dan Stanton, Mike Ryan, Cary Veis, Ed Rohloff, Rob Bishop, Dwight Gunnare or even Josh Samuelson if you doubt my sincerity.

So don't direct your anger at me for that, Tyrel. If you have an issue with my stance concerning your mother, Roxanne Harding and other members of the 2002 Legion Board, I understand. I'd stand up for my mother, too. But my motivation in doing so is in no way, shape or form to criticize any coach or player, yourself included.

Geez, every time I try to write a quick little response, this happens.
Brian,
I appreciate the fact that you have been one of the few people on this site that has actually stepped into the limelight and revealed your true identity. As you can see there are quite a few that still hide behind their computer and try to " coach from the bench". I appreciate anything you've ever written about me during my playing days it was very much appreciated. I am sorry that when you read my 2 cents that you took it as directed right at you but there are quite a few other " critics" on this sight that would just as soon hide in the bushes instead of take responsibility for what they have to say. Appreciate the back bone you show.
I wanted to direct my writings more at the people who have no idea as to what some sports are yet even how they are played.

Apologies to anyone else who has used their true identity on this site, I appreciate your honesty as well.
Bottom line is that if people are going to make a statement they better have enough backbone to stand up for what they say.

Tyrel
supporter
Posted by Van (+559) 16 years ago
Brian, I have never seen anyone so willing to throw him or herself on a grenade met for someone else. Got a complaint call Butch.

Tyrel, you made some good points. Then again so did everyone that posted. This discussion about what is wrong with Maverick baseball is healthy, even when it hurts. Have you guys ever thought that the best thing for Maverick baseball may also be the worst? Sooner or later someone else is going to have to inherit the glass house held together with gauze hands.

Is anyone going to pick up the mantel and step forward? We need less complaining and more volunteering. Ah, but the volunteers, I've been told, have left in droves. Some people got tired of doing all the work just so used car salesmen could scream in at the last minute and get there picture in the paper.

Since 1950 Miles City has one AA Championship. Impressive
Tyrel, I think that most of the statements have been pretty honest. Genral statements never hurt anything and sometimes actually bring attention to growing problems. I love MC and what activities are offered for the youth.

I think the problem is the MCYBA needs to look at the growing problem. The problem is the numbers amd not the coaching. There has to be more at the root of the problem. A coach can be loved by the team and hated by some of the community. The community will always win the battle. The reason being that the community will find a reason to be right.

If you love the game of baseball and I know that you do. WHY? Because you choose to give your time and it is not for the money/pay. Then why not let the discussion be and not worry about it? I think the idea is trying to save the program. That means starting at the younger levels and getting those numbers back up. I do not believe that there is any quick fixes.

But you better look at every piece of the puzzle. That does not mean casting stones on people that support the program. I'm sure that their are plenty of people that don't help out with baseball anymore. I'm sure that there are plenty of reasons and I know many of those people. They are still great people and love the MCYBA. But they will not take part for their own reasons. The funny thing is they still support the kids and coaches. You better understand every level of the problem and try to fix the inner makings.

Don't say that I'm coward and chicken for not putting my name up. I put my time in with my family. I have been around for along time compared to you. I mean, I think it's great that your a coach, but two years does not make you an expert. I do not think a 23 year old, clarifies you as an expert. I do not think, that you understand alot of the history behind some of the comments.

I wish the whole MCYBA a great deal of luck for the future. How many people put in for the job from around the state? They might know something about the situation to and what a bad rep the MCYBA has gotten lately. No coaches from the high school applied? Did you apply for the job? For love of the game right.....No one wants to sit on a hot seat.

Ford(nobody for you to worry about) I hope you enjoy the coaching experience....

It has been really interesting reading the responses, and it has been interesting watching the attitudes change. I appreciate the support and dispise the criticizism that is basically what my first entry was about. Ford you are definitely correct in saying that many people have gone on with their lives and still support MCYBA and for this these people are very appreciated but to stand on the side of the fence that everyone wants to criticize and for only a few people to take the kind of negative criticizm that some people are giving can be ridiculous.
Once again I appreciate honesty and your opinions but some of this stuff has to stop, let's get back to enjoying watching the youth perform in front of us just for our entertainment!

By the way ford, I didn't take it due to the every crazy schedule that my job demands( starting at 3 am and working at times until 8 pm but somehow finding time to still make it to baseball practice. Luckily my family supports me even though they have to spend many dinners alone)

Tyrel
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15369) 16 years ago
How foolish of me to think that the 4-H program and the Eastern Montana "UnFair" had problems.
supporter
Criticism is not always bad.

Ideas

1. Free T-ball?

2. Scholarships for underprivileged kids. Patch- Brian Reed I agree with you on this one 100%.

3. Free equipment to neiborhood kids. When's the last time you saw a pick up game in an empty lot. To busy playing Nintendo? Come to think of it when is the last time you saw an unorganized, no adult, pick up game anywhere.

4. Loosen your no camp and no all-star game rules.

5. If you are going to sell beer at the tournament do it out side the park grounds. This includes Mon-Dak. Sell it in a beer garden outside. The way the do it in Dickinson ND across the street from the facilities. You will quickly see how many people are there to watch and support the kids or are there just to get effed up.

6. Quit scheduling trips to Alaska and Omaha and give underprivileged kids scholarships to strengthen the team and conference.

7. Stop arguing amongst yourselves as committee members and unit for the common good of the children and not just your own child but all children. That is what's wrong a community used to raise children, watch out after them even if little Billy started over there son little Johnny. They still cheered for little Billy. Not anymore, you can watch parents in the stands pouting and screaming when their child does not start. Instead of working with their child to get better and to have some parent child interaction they just work behind the scenes to have the coach fired. I do not care if my child stole that watch or smoked that weed on the bus I want him starting the next game because he is one of your best players. Wow.

8. Do not cut players until your numbers are swelling. A few years ago an athlete was cut or encourage to quit because he was no good enough. He is no playing football for a Montana college. Even coach's need to swallow there pride and coach the so-called undesirable and or underprivileged. At this point I would love to give you a list of poor kids that have helped the Football team win conference championships. However, how do you judge poorness or embarrass friends who did not have as much as some. If I were to play baseball today my parents would not let me because it cost too much. Same goes for Hockey. The poor parents are making almost the same wage that they were in 1989; however, everything cost 10 times as much.

9. Discipline all children the same- poor, rich, black, white, Dr. son, welders son.

I am sorry to use the word POOR but I wanted to be blunt without insulting people. I could use a word like lower socioeconomic background but that would make jocks dizzy.
Van I just want to let you know a few FACTS about our program that somewhere along the line you either didn't know or was given poor info about.

Scholarships- Our organization does give many scholarships to underprivileged kids per year. Brandon Patch does have a scholarship program set up

Schedule- If you were a highschool athlete and wanting to play baseball what is going to sound more inviting, an overnight double header in Colstrip or a five day trip to play in a 48 team tournament in Omaha Nebraska while the college world series is going on?( that's a tough question)

We haven't cut anyone from the team since I've been here, we haven't had the numbers in four years to be able to cut.

Every kid that plays for Mavs or Colts will be treated the same in times of discipline. We have set in place for a reason.

Once again we need to have ALL the facts straight before we start pointing fingers( WHAT A GREAT SITE FOR GOSSIP)

Tyrel
supporter
Tyrel, once again you have proven everyone's point on this subject. You did not listen to any of the suggestions you just fired back at a few suggestions you disagreed with. What about the ones you agreed with? Are there any changes you think need to be made in the program? Or do you believe the program is in great order now?

I am not saying that a kid wouldn't rather go to Omaha instead of Colstrip but can we afford it? Is it practical? These arguments came up a few years ago and as long as you guys have your head in the sand we are beating a dead horse. Good luck in the season and I hope all the track kids will make it through their season and baseball without burning out. Speaking of burning I wonder how JP feels on the subject?

One AA state championship since 1950.
Van their are things suggested that have been looked at and that the board is trying to figure out ways to work with them.
1) Allowing players to attend all star games and camps
- There are alot of great athletes in our little town and I believe that if a person is selected to an all star event they should be able to go, but from a coaching stand point what happens when that player gets injured during their one quarter appearance and his\her team as well as themselves have to be punished by not either having that player on their team anymore or not being able to play anymore themselves. I realize injuries are part of sports but if you were the coach would you let your players play in an all star game of a different sport during your season?

2) Budgets
- Of course our organization doesn't have a never ending supply of money this is why our players are asked to raise money. Players raise enough money individually to allow our team to be able to go to Omaha and Alaska and we are able to stay overnight. We also take into account the funding for gas for our bus and meals for our kids. This is done by any organization. I would definitely like to see someday that any kid who wants to come and play baseball or any sport for that matter just have to show up for practice and games to play and not have to worry about raising money for their organization but unfortunately I don't think our organizations will ever see that day.

I interested on your personal ideas to make things easier. Constructive criticism is one thing and I don't mind at all, but it's a whole different boat to just rip on the way coaches and other people affiliated with that organization try to handle situations.
( Not trying to be an ass, I just want to know
supporter
The only way to prove who is truly right is through a test of intellectual skill - fantasy baseball. Yahoo leagues. The draft occurs at 3 o'clock today, (Feb. 4) so hurry up.

Here is the league ID: Miles City Stars (131959)

and the password to sign up: saynotodrugs

Let's take it to the field. The imaginary field.
Tyrel:

"I close my eyes,
only for a moment, and the moment's gone
All my dreams,
pass before my eyes, a curiosity

Dust in the wind,
all they are is dust in the wind

Same old song,
just a drop of water in an endless sea
All we do,
crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see

Dust in the wind,
All we are is dust in the wind

Don't hang on,
nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
It slips away,
all your money won't another minute buy

Dust in the wind,
All we are is dust in the wind"
Kansas 1977

MCYBA 2006..."Same old song,just a drop of water in an enless sea...All we do,crumbles to the ground,though we rufuse to see..."

Tyrel, don't take this the wrong way...But your wrong on most of what is going on. The simple matter is that some concerned almuni are discussing the fall of youth sports. It is baseball season and it is quite noticed. What? The numbers of players taking an active role. You got to look at everything involved with the program:
(1)Cost;
(a) the extra funding for the Omaha trip
(-)Mc is not a rich town and gets tapped out by all youth activity fund raisers
(b)look to see if that money would be better used for promoting MCYBA in the community
(-)through the paper and things at the schools
(-)kids are the most important thing to reach
(c)stop using the trip as a selling point
(2)Rules and discipline equal by being enforced(maybe witten out clearly and enforce no matter what the cost to the team);
(3) Other sports allowed ( never has been an injury in any all-star game, except for a player in Bismark from Stevensville);
(a) things the kids must choose on during the summer
(b) the stand of MCYBA written out to be understood
(4)The season length and for pre-season;
(a) shorten up
(5) Helping out the coach;
(a) not undermining the coach
(b) pressuring or bully the coach
(6) The number of parents involved for personal reasons;
(a) get rid of them
(7) Quit questioning other sports motives;
(a) that means comparing to other sports
(b) trying to speacilize the kids
(c)don't judge the kids and support idle gossip about players
(-)if that happens put a stop to it through the whole MCYBA and show support for the player
(8) Play all the kids involved;
(a) that is what non-conference is for
(b) play them the whole game
(c)it is not about winning those early games
(-)show the players equal consideration
(d)build the depth up
(e) allow the T&F kids relax during pre-season
(9) Don't make the track kids pull double duty;
(a)is for the select few
(b) tell the baseball kids there is no favoritism going on
(c) if the baseball kids have a problem send them to work out with JP(10)Set some boundaries and get the high school coaches involved
(11)Communication with the high school coaches;
(a) work with them
(b) see if their willing to help out with the field or whatever
(c)that means all of them
(d)don't start a war and ask each coach
(e)great resource to take advantage of
(f)they will be at your games and not their own workouts
(12)Share the kids;
(a) let them know they can do other things
(b)encourage them to be active in other activities during the summer
(13) Communication with everybody in the community and make everyone feel welcome;
(a)it is kinda of known as a snobbish/rich sport
(-)work to change this image
(b)supported by the same kind of people
(d) again don't take offense, just some peoples of point of view

Don't come on here as a coach and try to bully people. Their has been a nice conversation started for the benift of MCYBA. The posts want to see the MCYBA grow back to where it was and feel that some of these things said are the reason of the decline. So, quit trying to act like the tuff guy and relax. No one really ever stated anything negative about a coach. Did you fully show support for Larson? Did agree with the reasoning for stepping down? Did you talk about personal coaching decisions with the public/board members?

I mean don't take this stuff personal and try to buy into the fact of friendly conversation. It's not like it is a hidden discussion. I mean anyone can read the point of views on this site. I'm sure that your not talking about with others and making rash comments.

I don't want the MCYBA to disappear like "Dust In The Wind"....Just my friendly point of view and always has been. It was you that took things out of context and tried to act like a big bad bully. Sort of what we have been talking about with the MCYBA and some of the members.

Sorry about the thesis!I hope that some of the ideas are taken from unbiased parties.
Tyrel,
What is the total number of players signed up to play at each level? How many players are coming from out of town to play legion ball? Are the numbers better than last year or down? How many baseball teams at the Babe Ruth level?
supporter
Damn ford. Get off it. Really.
Ford and Van,

Do you really believe you are having a positive, constructive effect on baseball in this town? I don't want to rip on you too bad, but you seem to be very agenda driven? I believe that is the same complaint you have about everyone else. If you really want to have an influence, go to a baseball meeting and sit down with Tyrel and all others involved. Otherwise, pipe down. You remind me of people who complain about politics, but never choose to vote. My two cents, that is all.
1 archaic : WATCHFUL , WARY
2 : having or showing realization, perception, or knowledge
- aware·ness noun
synonyms AWARE , COGNIZANT , CONSCIOUS , SENSIBLE , ALIVE , AWAKE mean having knowledge of something. AWARE implies vigilance in observing or alertness in drawing inferences from what one experiences <aware of changes in climate>. COGNIZANT implies having special or certain knowledge as from firsthand sources <not fully cognizant of the facts>. CONSCIOUS implies that one is focusing one's attention on something or is even preoccupied by it <conscious that my heart was pounding>. SENSIBLE implies direct or intuitive perceiving especially of intangibles or of emotional states or qualities <sensible of a teacher's influence>. ALIVE adds to SENSIBLE the implication of acute sensitivity to something <alive to the thrill of danger>. AWAKE implies that one has become alive to something and is on the alert <a country always awake to the threat of invasion

I want to see the MCYBA survive....I do not want to see it be "Dust In The Wind". This is better term for not allowing this sport die like the downtown business district.
Main Entry: con·struc·tive
Function: adjective
Pronunciation: k&n-'str&k-tiv
1 : declared such by judicial construction or interpretation <constructive fraud>
2 : of or relating to construction or creation
3 : promoting improvement or development <constructive criticism>
- con·struc·tive·ly adverb
- con·struc·tive·ness noun

This is a better term of what needs to be done. Keep an open conversation about the subject matter. Not everyone will agree and some will have biased opinions. The idea is to make people aware of some of the issues that people are discussing.

Main Entry: con·ver·sa·tion
Function: noun
Pronunciation: "kän-v&r-'sA-sh&n
Etymology: Middle English conversacioun, from Middle French conversation, from Latin conversation-, conversatio, from conversari to associate with, frequentative of convertere to turn around
1 obsolete : CONDUCT , BEHAVIOR
2 a (1) : oral exchange of sentiments, observations, opinions, or ideas (2) : an instance of such exchange : TALK b : an informal discussion of an issue by representatives of governments, institutions, or groups c : an exchange similar to conversation
Main Entry: 1pos·i·tive
Function: adjective
Pronunciation: 'pä-z&-tiv, 'päz-tiv
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French positif, from Latin positivus, from positus, past participle of ponere
1 a : formally laid down or imposed : PRESCRIBED <positive laws> b : expressed clearly or peremptorily <her answer was a positive no> c : fully assured : CONFIDENT
2 a : of, relating to, or constituting the degree of comparison that is expressed in English by the unmodified and uninflected form of an adjective or adverb and denotes no increase or diminution b (1) : independent of changing circumstances : UNCONDITIONED (2) : relating to or constituting a motion or device that is definite, unyielding, constant, or certain in its action <a positive system of levers> c (1) : INCONTESTABLE <positive proof> (2) : UNQUALIFIED <a positive disgrace>
3 a : not fictitious : REAL <a positive influence for good in the community> b : active and effective in social or economic function rather than merely maintaining peace and order <a positive government>

I think that it is healthy for people to discuss these matters. It is positve for people to take an active role and that means in this insatnce, discussion. I can't be at the meetings for the MCYBA and wish that I could. I live outside the community and wish I could take an active role. This is the way that I can take an active role. I want people to help each other and save the sports in Miles City. I believe that youth activities is an important make-up of the childern in the community. I think that sports leads to a better well rounded citizen of the community. A sense of worth for some that don't have that from their personal lives.
Main Entry: com·mu·ni·ca·tion
Pronunciation: k&-"myü-n&-'kA-sh&n
1 : an act or instance of transmitting
2 a : information communicated b : a verbal or written message
3 a : a process by which information is exchanged between individuals through a common system of symbols, signs, or behavior <the function of pheromones in insect communication> ; also : exchange of information b : personal rapport <a lack of communication between old and young persons>

I think that it is important to learn from the history. It is said that "the youth is not taking an active role as leaders in the community." I do not know this for sure, but can see the validty of the statement. I see this in the MCYBA and wonder what will happen to the sport. I see that one person has lent his money to back and save the MCYBA. It is a well known fact that "he" enjoys his work with the MCYBA and would not have it any other way. But happens when this man leaves the community? Will the MCYBA have a strong enough foot hold to survive? I want to see the town take pride and help in the rebuilding of the program.
Main Entry: agen·da
Pronunciation: &-'jen-d&
Etymology: Latin, neuter plural of agendum, gerundive of agere
1 : a list or outline of things to be considered or done <agendas of faculty meetings>
2 : an underlying often ideological plan or program <a political agenda>
- agen·da·less/-d&-l&s/ adjective

This is what I did with my feelings on the MCYBA. I have listed out the things that have been discussed in the past. It is amazing that these issues are still being discussed. I do not like to hear these things either and wish to see the MCYBA back to full compacity. But if they are not discussed and the MCYBA dies. What will you say then.....? "Damn ford. Get off it. Really." To you Good Sir, no I won't and good day!
Pluto,

Will you take my oncerns to the board? To be a hidden agenda it would have to be discussed behind closed doors. I am sorry that you feel that way about the discussion. This is a very narrow minded stance and defensive stance on the subject. I am glad that you are sticking up for your program. But at the same time open up to some of the discussion. This means be open to the discussion of others or stay out of the discussion.

Your right it is your program and you can watch it slip away like....

"I close my eyes,
only for amoment, and the moment's gone
All my dreams,
pass before my eyes, a curiosity

Dust in the wind,
all they are is dust in the wind

Same old song,
just a drop of water in an endless sea
All wed do,
crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see

Dust in the wind,
All we are is dust in the wind

Don't hang on,
nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
It slips away,
all your money won't another minute buy

Dust in the wind,
All we are is dust in the wind"
Kansas 1977

Pluto, pretty soon the only thing their will be is dust and the memories from years gone by.
Good Day and hope the future is brighter.
supporter
Oh my lord!
YES
Ford--I made no mention of you having a hidden agenda, just an agenda. No decisions on baseball, soccer, etc. will be made on milescity.com. I am not on the board, nor do I even know who the board members are except those listed on this site. I certainly do not own the program. I do know, though, that if I had your complaints and felt as strongly as you do, I would start attending board meetings. Nothing productive will get acomplished by hanging around the Mother's Booth, posting on milescity.com, or whining to other disgruntled "fans" in the bleachers that is PRODUCTIVE. It may make you feel better, but it does not make the program better.

I am officially tired of this thread!
Pluto,

I am sorry that your tired of this thread. You still have your fond memories of Tracy Larson, Shawn Gunther, Kelly Strobel, Trent Kale, and Kevin Howard in the early 90s. Yes, I am sure sorry to hear the end is here. They were great athletes in their time....I guess in your opinion. Glory days....
Mavericks 2006
Season Schedule

** All times Mountain

Date Time Location Opponent Format Scores Game Info.

Sunday, April 23 1:00 PM Billings, MT Billings Lobos 1/7
3:00 PM Billings, MT Billings Lobos 1/7
Sunday, May 7 12:00 PM Miles City, MT Rapid City 320 Stars 1/7
2:00 PM Miles City, MT Rapid City 320 Stars 1/7
Sunday, May 14 1:00 PM Gillette, WY Gillette Roughriders 1/7
3:00 PM Gillette, WY Gillette Roughriders 1/7
Sunday, May 21 1:00 PM Rapid City, SD Rapid City 320 Stars 1/7
3:00 PM Rapid City, SD Rapid City 320 Stars 1/7
Sunday, May 28 1:00 PM Miles City, MT Gillette Roughriders 1/7
3:00 PM Miles City, MT Gillette Roughriders 1/7
Friday, June 2 7:00 PM Miles City, MT Butte Miners 1/9
Saturday, June 3 1:00 PM Miles City, MT Butte Miners 1/9
Sunday, June 4 1:00 PM Miles City, MT Billings Lobos 1/7
3:00 PM Miles City, MT Billings Lobos 1/7
Tuesday, June 6 7:00 PM Billings, MT Billings Royals 1/9
Wednesday, June 7 7:00 PM Billings, MT Billings Royals 1/9
Saturday, June 10 7:00 PM Miles City, MT Helena Senators 1/9
Sunday, June 11 1:00 PM Miles City, MT Helena Senators 1/9
Monday, June 12 7:00 PM Miles City, MT Bozeman Bucks 1/9
Tuesday, June 13 1:00 PM Miles City, MT Bozeman Bucks 1/9
Thursday, June 15 3:00 PM Sheridan, WY Sheridan Troopers 1/7
5:00 PM Sheridan, WY Sheridan Troopers 1/7
Friday, June 16 7:00 PM Billings, MT Billings Scarlets 1/9
Sunday, June 18 7:00 PM Billings, MT Billings Scarlets 1/9
June 22 - 26
Thur - Mon See Icon Omaha, NE "Battle of Omaha" 5 Game Guarantee
Saturday, July 1 12:00 PM Miles City, MT Williston Keybirds 1/7
2:00 PM Miles City, MT Williston Keybirds 1/7
July 4 - 9
Tue - Sun TBA Miles City, MT "Newhouse" 5 Game Guarentee
Monday, July 10 7:00 PM Bozeman, MT Bozeman Bucks 1/9
Tuesday, July 11 1:00 PM Bozeman, MT Bozeman Bucks 1/9
Wednesday, July 12 12:00 PM Helena, MT Helena Senators 1/7
2:00 PM Helena, MT Helena Senators 1/7
Saturday, July 15 7:00 PM Miles City, MT Billings Scarlets 1/9
Sunday, July 16 7:00 PM Miles City, MT Billings Scarlets 1/9
Tuesday, July 18 7:00 PM Butte, MT Butte Miners 1/9
Wednesday, July 19 1:00 PM Butte, MT Butte Miners 1/9
Thursday, July 20 4:30 Williston, ND Williston Keybirds 1/7
6:30 Williston, ND Williston Keybirds 1/7
Saturday, July 22 7:00 PM Miles City, MT Billings Royals 1/9
Sunday, July 23 7:00 PM Miles City, MT Billings Royals 1/9
Friday, July 28 TBA Great Falls, MT STATE

Here is the Maverick baseball games for this upcoming season. I thought some of you would be interested.
Ford--Thanks for the Maverick schedule.
Pluto,

By the way, I do not whine in the bleachers about the games. I enjoy watching the game and the effort of the kids. I only usually make it during the Newhouse tournament. I do support the program by buying some tickets from nephews friends. It basically is a donation to the program. Sorry, I do not spend much time by the mothers booth. I am a diabetic and can not take many of the fine nurishments.

I enjoy watching the game and my time at the old ball park. I do not spend it complaining. The trip is generally to short, but the matters always come up. If it is about the coach, I simply respond with the statemnet,"Why don't you discuss or ask the coach." I never question a player or allow myself to comment on a players abilities. The player is out their and that is half of the battle.

I do not believe in the clicks, that form during sporting seasons. These groups spend more time commenting on the things going wrong during the game. Or my favorite "why did the coach do that or allow that?" These groups are very critical of the wrong things and usually has to do with family members. Many of these people have not grown out of their "glory days".

I wish you the best of luck on staying away from these "critical" fans. I am sure that you do not hang around anyone like this. I am sure that all your buds are very positive and enjoy watching the Mavs. Maybe I will see you reporting on the games during the Newhouse or some of your great articles.....to the editor. I can not buy you a beer at the tournament, but maybe downtown. I do not believe that there should be alcohol sold at a hs event. Or with hs kids included in the tournament. I think that it sends a mixed message to the kids.
Ford - Re: the last point of your last post.

We agree again.

(Helpful hint - it's clique)

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (edited 3/6/2006).]
supporter
Ford, at least you go to the games. I bitch about stuff and have not attended a game since 1990. However, I always loved the 10 State or Newhouse, whatever they call it now. I used to get really drunk and puke down the third base line and yell profanities at the umps. What good fun hanging out with the Dr.'s and insurance salesmen and just getting wasted. Good times- Good times.
supporter
Nothing more MC than your local OBGYN getting himself sloshed and raising hell. That's professionalism.
"Oh my lord!"...Buck you made a funny. Is that really going to help the situation. Come on...This is serious stuff!
Posted by Marley (+61) 16 years ago
WOW!
Ford,
It is pretty apparent that you didn't understand anything I wrote in my first log. I am not trying to bully anyone around I am simply putting my views on an opinion website just like you are. If you understood any of the points that were made on my log earlier you are just repeating everything I went over.

SUPPORT
NO MORE BICKERING
DISCIPLINE
COACHING IDEAS
WAYS TO HELP MCYBA
ETC ETC

All of this stuff was touched on in my previous statements. However what I did ask was if you had any ideas on what could be done to help some of these problems, not to have you repeat stuff that I already touched on.
Tyrel
Tyrel,

I was stating what was already discussed on this thread. It was not brought up by you and it was more of a bully method. I hope the best for the progam and through the rough waters. You right, who really cares about the previous statments. You did not add anything to the thread, but nice job of trying to take credit. I do not know what that amounts too, but good job.

I guess the MCYBA and the coach will do what is best for their pride. I'm done supporting the program and it's disregard for the problem. I will join the rest of the common folks on the outside of the fence.

Just wanted to start a discussion about the MCYBA passing from the "Glory Days". I don't think, that I have the money for the $30 book of tickets. But I'm sure that the MCYBA doesn't care about this fact. Since, they have the money to support a trip to Omaha. Maybe I will go watch the Out Law teams forming to seperate themselves from the MCYBA. So, the kids can do other things during the summer and enjoy their families.

It is really to bad...Sorry, I'm done and have nothing further to say.
Posted by Duncan Bonine (+290) 16 years ago
At last, the title of this thread makes sense again!
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15369) 16 years ago
I know what you mean. There are two kinds of preachers: those who say "and finally" and finish; and those who say "and lastly" and last and last and last...