Knights of Columbus Montana-North Dakota All-Star Game?
Posted by Ford (+110) 16 years ago
Team Montana, also known as the AA' Team, will take the field against ND on June 17. Here are the breakdowns for "Team Montana".

Total number of AA'- 18 on roster/ 16 on alternate list
Billings West- 8 players
Helena Capital- 3 players
CMR- 2 players
Billings Skyview- 2 players
Billings Senior- 1 player
Butte- 1 player
Great Falls- 1 player

Total number of A'- 9 on roster/ 8 on alternate list
Butte Central- 2 players
Miles City- 2 players
Belgrade- 1 player
Dillon- 1 player
Frenchtown- 1 player
Glendive- 1 player
Libby- 1 player

Total number of B'& C'- 7 on roster/ 7 on alternate list
Cut Bank- 3 players
Drummond- 2 players
Deer Lodge- 1 player
Thompson Falls- 1 player

The Defense for "Team Montana"- I like this breakdown.
AA'- 6 players
A'- 6 players
B&C- 5 players

The Offense for "Team Montana"
AA'- 12 players
A'- 3 players (tight ends- 2 players)
B&C- 2 players

The AA' rules once again in the Bandlands.....?
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5101) 16 years ago
IMHO, it will depend on who the NoDak coach is.

If it's a small school coach, NoDak will get worked b/c they'll pick too many small school kids.

If it's a coach from West Fargo, Fargo, or Bismarck, NoDak has an outside chance of winning...

Having watched football in both places, Montana generally has a lot more talent.

I was at the MonDak game in MC when Greg Eslinger played (Outland Trophy winner, possible 1st round NFL pick). You could tell he was going to be pretty good.

There was a kicker that year from Malta(?) who had a ride to OU, but I never heard what happened to him. He was booming kickoffs over the goal posts - he had a strong leg. Did he ever make it to OU?
I think that the player in question did nothing after the MonDak game. He never went to OU and ended up in NYC for a modeling career..? I don't think he ever ended up kicking for a college.
Posted by Slosh (+696) 16 years ago
Just a rumor I heard (so it probably isn't true) but for the previous 11 years the big schools in NoDak (UND, NDSU) wouldn't allow the players they signed to play in the MonDak game. But then last year they did allow those players to play, and they dominated Montana. Like I said, this was a rumor I heard. I haven't done any research to back this up, just wondering if anybody else had heard this.
Why so many AA' players compared to the rest of the state? I know that the coach is from Billings West, but still seems to be turning into AA' game.
Slosh, I heard the same. The bigger U's want to protect the players from the risk of injury. The ND team also wanted more of balance with all levels from the different divisions in ND. They went away from that last year and put more upper level division players.

The Montana team stunk on the LOS and lost the battle to ND. The Montana team was "BIG" up front, but were horrible. This group was made up of AA' monsters and stunk.
This team isn't nearly as AA heavy as last year's team (especially Billings.) I really don't have much of a problem with the kids that made the roster. West definetly deserved to have that many kids. But it would have been nice to see more A, B and C kids for sure.

Dillon and Belgrade deserved more players than one. And only two players from Drummond? They beat teams by 55 points on average. But that's the way it is I guess.

[This message has been edited by Slosh (edited 2/28/2006).]
supporter
Slosh, Ford:

Not sure if that rumor is true. I'll check w/ some of my contacts at UND and NDSU.

Seems to me that Weston Dressler (now at UND) played in the '04 game...I THINK he had committed to UND prior to the MonDak, but I could be wrong. NoDak got punked but Weston still went for 170 yards or so...tough little SOB, he was/is.

I've heard in the past that the NoDak coaches liked to have adequate small school representation - and NoDak would often use a head coach from a nine-man school.
Do you relly feel that AA' players are more talented?
Who was the last coach for the Montana team that was not AA'?
I think that the MC team had an above average crop of talanted players. It seems a little bizzare that Beggar was the only player from the record setting offense. What happened to the Furhman kid? I would think that an unanimous choice on the O/D side of the ball, would make it. The other fact that he is from MC and the strong tradition of great players on the LOS.

Strange...No MC players last year and 22 AA' players on last years roster. This year MC has two deserving players and the game is in MC. I thought that the MC community always has shown great support for the game. I think that it is sad that the smaller communities like MC are not represented equally.

Who helps pay for this game? It seems that the Billings community must be the biggest backer......

[This message has been edited by Ford (edited 2/28/2006).]
supporter
Ford:

Can't really speak for Montana, but in NoDak, the players aren't necessarily "better" but have had better coaching during their H.S. careers.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4455) 16 years ago
Is the game here? I pick MT. In North Dakota, I will have to go with North Dakota.

It seems to play out that way usually, unless I'm backward and we lose at home, in which case, my picks are reversed.
supporter
That kicker might have been Travis Dorscht or Dorsch or something. I remeber Dorsch and I remember the kid bombing them into the parking lot, but I don't remember if it's one and the same.

Dorsch went to Purdue and punts for GB now I think.
Bob, I think it depends more on the players in the program and what they are able to accomplish as a team. I believe that the MC staff are a very qualified coaching staff. I believe that everyone on the staff with the exception of two,have played at the college level.

I know that many staffs' include faculty members that have no experience. It's more of a need basis when filling some of the positions around the state. It comes down to what you have to work with at the school.

So, I disagree and would say that the AA' schools are not the only qualified staffs.
The year in question with the Malta player was 2002 or 2004. Dorsch played in the 2000 or 1998 game and was from Bozeman. Dorsch actually went on to be one of the top kickers at the national level. I believe he won the top kicker award for the college. Then went on to be drafted and cut by the Bengals. Then I lost track of his many stops and thought he was a better punter.
supporter
Ford:

Yeah - Malta kid played back in '02. My memory is fuzzy, but I remember hearing something about a degenerative hip condition? I very well could be wrong.

Eslinger played in the same game, he's just finished his career at Minnesota after starting at center for four years.
supporter
Googled: "Malta 2002 kicker"

Kid's name was Josh Roberts - listed as a top PK prospect on this site:

http://maxemfingerrecruit...32489.html

Site has Vince Young as #1 prospect (not bad). Also has Tim Brasic as one of the top QBs, but I didn't see Matt Leinert. Brasic plays at Illinois and he stinks. Oh well.
I heard from a source close to the Malta FB program, that Roberts did not want the pressure. The year that he was supose to arrive on campus the team was ranked #1 and had no other kicker. So, Roberts would have been the man for the Sooners or expecting him to be. Roberts did not like the pressure or the idea of being placed in the fire.
supporter
If true, that's too bad.

Kid should've gotten a ride to a DII school or something?
Dorsch did play in 98 game. And he did go on to play at Purdue, where he won the top kicker award. But then struggled at the NFL level. He was also a pretty good baseball player (threw about as hard as I've ever tried to hit.) But the one thing I'll remember about his kicking in high school (he did hit a 63 yarder, or so the rumor said) but he missed what would have been a game winning 35 yard field goal for the state championship.
As far as the topic at hand, I'm pretty sure Rohloff coached Montana a couple of years ago. I don't remember when.

I wouldn't say that the talent in AA is that much better than in A, B, or C or that the coaching is better either. But AA has the reputation of being better. As a former AA player, I always assumed that AA was better, and now I don't know. I would still say that the AA state champ would beat the A, B or C champion. But it wouldn't be because of the talent level of the kids. Most AA players don't have to play both ways, like most of the players at smaller schools. So by the time the game is over, the smaller school players are way more tired than the AA kids. That and the fact that the AA kids can focus on one position, and not have to learn multiple spots, gives an edge to AA.
Posted by Dan (+458) 16 years ago
go back and watch the tape of Wests championship game this year, a good number of those kids played both ways...
the only difference between all the classes is that the large schools have a larger pool to draw from, quality coaches and kids can be found at all levels
Slosh, Rolhoff was the last coach and the game was played in ND that year. I believe the year was 2003 and it was his second time. I can't think of any before Rolhoff or after. I think that the biggest differnce is the amount of players in the program. Depth is the biggest difference which would give a coach more talent.

I think that the smaller schools do a better job coaching. They do not have as many horses to chose from. This means they actually have to coach up more kids. I can think of many kids that played well past the potential expected. It came down to heart and determination from the players. You can not measure this by any standards.

I can think of many examples of the smaller schools kicking the azz of the AA' kids. I think that some of the AA' kids think that they are better and have no idea about the heart of the smaller school players. I watched the the big orgars from the AA' get trounced by the smaller/quicker players.
Dan- I remember that West did have quite a few players play both ways, but Capital didn't. And that's what I remember from my days as well.

Ford- I do agree that it does come down to heart and determination, but AA players have it as well. I would give the edge to A players, because they would be playing with a chip on their shoulder, because AA players do think they're better
Slosh, I'm not saying that AA' players don't have the heart or determination of the rest of the players. The AA' players just take the smaller school players for granted. If your AA' it does not mean that your the best player and have been given unfair advantages in All-Star game.
I completely agree with you. I was talking to a kid that I know, who will be playing for Montana from a AA school, and he was saying he wasn't sure the smaller kids would be able to keep up. I just let him talk and dig himself a hole.
He's going to be in for a surprise, just like I was when I showed up around here.
Slosh, it just seems a shame that this thought process has made it to the MonDak commitee. I wish that the players from the lower level did not have a negative stereo-type.

I think that the AA' coaching staffs would know this and stop being biased. Maybe the next game that should be started is a playoff system in Mon/ND. They should take the highest level players and put them on one team and the A/B/C on the other team. Have those two teams play and the winner takes on the best from the other state.

Maybe then the AA' would stop the bs...I think that the games would be competitive and people would be suprised with the outcome. Have the same numbers and alternates for the teams, along with the same guidelines.

The game then would end the bs of who is the best...Maybe a thought if the ND team drops out of the game. I would attend the game and cheer for the smaller school team.
Posted by Pluto (+90) 16 years ago
My two cents, The dUMb coach recently said that "AA" was really down in recruitable talent, and the best players were in "B" and "C". I'm not sure how that translates to this game, but Bobby should know a lot about the talent level in this state. Then again, Bobby is the dUMb coach, and has lost 3 out of the last four to the CATS.

Personally, I would like to see a football game that showcases juniors (soon-to-be seniors). It would be another tool for a college recruiter to compare kids from different schools. Plus, it would be fun to see some of the different talent from around the state heading into the fall season. You could even push it back to August so it conflicts minimally with baseball. I know, however, it would probably be set up so that it conflicts directly with state. Anyway, I'm not sure what the high school association would say, but I think it makes great sense.
Pluto, that is a very interesting. I do not know what the MHSA assoc. would say about this idea. Very interesting....Don't think much about Bobby? Hmmm.....
supporter
Yeah, it's Bobby's fault UM didn't win. And the freshman quarterback that got boo'ed off the field. It was his fault too.

Sometimes these folks from UM forget what they are dealing with. I realize the standard is set high, but c'mon.
Posted by Pluto (+90) 16 years ago
Actually, I love Bobby. I wish he would stay at dUMb forever. Too bad our state only allows one year contracts. But then again, I'm a Cat fan.

I do need to correct myself, Bobby has only lost 2 out of 3 to the Cats. Glenn was still coaching when the Cat "streak" began.
supporter
ND coach in 2006 is Double F, Fred Fridley from Wartford City. *sigh*

On the other hand, they're using a large majority of AAA players, very few from smaller schools.
Bob, is that a bad choice for the coach? I hate to here that both have went to the theory "bigger is better". What a bunch of female, hormonal/vagina line of bs. What do the females do when they are not satisfied by the male? Well, some go shoping for tools to help. Mon/Dak needs to watch college or do a college game. Oh...they do a college game.

I hate the arguement of the bigger school is better......BS.
supporter
Ford:

That's an interesting analogy, I guess?

I'm just not a fan of Double F. Nothing against the fact that he's from a smaller school. Hopefully he doesn't run the single wing in June.

I'm not saying that all kids from bigger schools are better than kids from smaller schools - i.e. Jim Kleinsasser from Carrington, ND.

ND was getting worked every year and decided to step it up and pick more big school kids to be more competitive.
Bob, you did not like my analogy? Sorry, my point is that maybe there should be some guidelines set. What if both state's set standards for how many kids from each level? I'm not saying totally even and know that the upper levels have more kids.

Here is my hypothetical theory: 12-AA'/10-A'/8-B'/6-C'= 36 total players and then the best kicker & punter from any confernce. The kicker and punter would not hurt or have any value on any of the other values. Totally seperate because they are kickers....For a grand total of 38 players.

I know that some years the classes might be down for adequate kids. So, the two states get together and comprimise.
supporter
Ford:

I'd have no problem with a system like you suggest.

I'm not sure how long the Mon/Dak game will go on. NoDak needs to be competitive.

Another part of the problem is that a lot of kids/parents in eastern ND (Fargo, Grand Forks) don't relish the thought of traveling all the way out to Dickinson or Miles.

Lots of folks in the valley think that ND ends 20 miles west of I-29, everything else is eastern MT.
Posted by GL (+41) 16 years ago
Or........now here's an idea that way out there but.....leave it the hell alone! It looks like you want to make sure that everyone has the same amount of inferior players to me. Probably wouldn't need to keep score either - just play to play - everyone gets a participation ribbon.

Look at the rosters of MSU, U of M or any other college and see how many B and C players are on the roster. See if the ratio of AA and A to B and C are the same as you propose. I'm all for the small town boys and all that but I know that for every good player in a small town there are 5 or 10 in a bigger city than are as good or better.

Your idea is to make each team "equal". This isn't a civil rights or an equal opportunity issue - it's a damn football game.
GL, these are opinions and if you don't like it, don't read it. Yes, I agree that I'm trying to be politically correct and I know that this would never happen. It's amazing that your not pissed off about the politics of the game. Are you member of the Mon/Dak board? Can you tell me why there are all those AA' players? What happened to Fuhrman? I thought that MC was an A' town. In fact the "Class of Class A'" according to the town. Why not get more local people involved that are deserving? Maybe more money? Local kids=Local crowd! Your right unanimous is not deserving, not even both ways.

AA' this way...keep your nose up...this is an A' town.

GL, the game is not the same and has lost some interest. Sometimes you must look at different views, to save the things you enjoy. I know it is change and progressive thinking...ND is loosing interest.

It's just not a game!

[This message has been edited by Ford (edited 3/1/2006).]
What about Jess Fuhrman? I know that he's not a back or skill position player. Must not mean that much to MC and not important enough. It's a shame and evident from the all-state picks. Must not be dating the right girl or kissing the right ass. I guess they should have the line coach on the Mon/Dak commitee. The head coach and the line backer coach are on the commitee.Hmm......Funny?

That's right unanimous both ways in all-conference. Why was he not all-state both ways? Beggar got to keep both of his selections....? That is good for Beggar, but why not Fuhrman? Is that why some of the other players made all-state? Politcs and backstabbing are not the way of lineman. But they are great team players.

I guess that's why the backfield did it all by themselves. I mean they were all three first team picks. Also why was Regan put on as an alternate? Is he not playing baseball? I thought that baseball players could not play? What happened to Weyerbacher? That's right he is a lineman? Nothing against Regan, but that is a wasted honor. Simply because he can not play.

The lineman and that whole group were taken for granted all year. I mean, I never heard who took over for Partidge. Was it Kevin? I know of only the Stanton name and Patch. I heard that Bankey's little brother is on the JV staff with a Stevenson. Then Jr was rumored to be coaching on the staff with Larson.

Point being, what about the lineman? Who is singing their praise? I'm sure that Regan rushed for all those yards by himself....please.

Sorry about the thesis! Just thought that the line did a great job. That is a impressive run total per game. Great group of kids and coaching. Who is the line coach? It's not Jerry, I thought he retired? I hope the zone blocking has not made it to MC. Jerry, might be in his grave.

[This message has been edited by Ford (edited 3/3/2006).]

[This message has been edited by Ford (edited 3/3/2006).]
supporter
Posted by Van (+564) 16 years ago
Ford, I just had a T-shirt made up with your name on it. You are my new hero. Spoken like someone who knows what the hell is going on around here. The linemen in this town and now in the whole state are being shafted. If Furmans name would have been -----, he would have made the Mon-Dak game.
Van, thankyou for nice comments and I agree. It is very disappointing to see this happen to a dserving player. Does anyone know who the line coach is? If he has enough clout to be on the MOn/Dak commitee? Is he? Also who is the line coach?

My new battle cry is "Fuhrman for the Mon/Dak"...If he does not make it I'm going to skip the game.
supporter
Posted by Van (+564) 16 years ago
I called a friend and found out that the offense and defensive line coach is Jared Bankey. He is also the defensive coordinator. He is teaching the drive block just the way Partridge taught him.
Van, thank you for answering the question and finding out for me. I just thought that the lines played great and not enough attention to those guys. I'm glad to here the drive block is alive and well. I think that MC had a great group and the coach must have did his job. I'm sure the backs enjoyed the lines efforts and the glory.

Well, Jared Bankey great job done with the line of the CCDHS and keep the tradition alive. I can see the line has not missed a step with the change over and I'm sure that Jerry is happy.

HUH...? A line coach that is a coordinator, really? I bet that has upset the gods of football. I have never seen that in MC and seen the disregard for the line coach. I mean everyone thinks that line coaches know nothing else, but the line. I'm happy with that decision and glad to see Jared Bankey taking a chance. I'm sure that it is hard to get by the stereo-type, but keep it up. Nice job and enjoy to here about the continued great lines coming out of Custer. I'm sure a little skills coach or two is upset about the coordinator spot, but OUTSTANDING...HAHA! Stick with it and thank you for noticing the line coach, Dan Stanton. I'm sure that he has not let you down and moldded a great team defense. Sort of like the philosophy behind the great offensive line. Hold each player accountable and work as a unit.

"Fuhrman for Mon/Dak"...Long live the alumni of the offensive line and were proud of the 2005 group. Now get Fuhrman in the game and uphold the pride of Custer County Football.
"Fuhrman for Mon/Dak"....I'm not being ass. I want to see a desrving player make it from MC.
Friendly reminder:

"Fuhrman for Mon/Dak"
Okay,Hello....If you have not heard....

"Fuhrman for Mon/Dak"
And what deserving player do you have in mind to kick off the team to make room for your choice?
supporter
Who gives a rip? What difference does it make?
By his 17 posts on this subject, I'm guessing that Ford "gives a rip". And you, since you replied.

[This message has been edited by GL (edited 3/6/2006).]
Posted by Marley (+54) 16 years ago
That is a person that cares.
GL,

Fuhrman would have to make it as a replacement. That means if someone declines to play in the game.

"Fuhrman for Mon/Dak"
Reminder:

"Fuhrman for Mon/Dak"
"Fuhrman for Mon/Dak"
Posted by Jim B (+227) 15 years ago
The Mon/Dak "BADLANDS BOWL" web site
is up and running. Ben Catley is still adjusting it.

www.badlandsbowl.com
Posted by deer_slayer (+481) 14 years ago
I had to bump this thread again after reading Brian's discovery that Bankey is Marley....So, if Bankey is Marley, who are Van and Ford? Brian, I think you should do some more investigating.

Also, I'm not saying Jared is all these people, but if he is, well then this thread gives new meaning to the term "split personalities."
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6115) 14 years ago
Well, Marley is either Bankey or Bankey's mother. Either way, the Marley post (and its "this must be because of the strong character and leadership of the head coach" comment) is pretty self-serving (and hilarious!).
Posted by Jim B (+227) 14 years ago
Montana / North Dakota "BADLANDS BOWL" will be held in Miles City
June 21st 2008 with kickoff at 6:00 pm
The days are getting less until Miles City hosts the 15th Montana vs. North Dakota All-Star "BADLANDS BOWL" Football Game on Saturday June 21st. Friday evening 6:00 p.m. at the MCC Centra 2003 Heisman Trophy winner Quarterback Jason White (Oklahoma) will be the guest speaker. Tickets are $15.00 and everyone is invited.
Please help support the game so we can help support others.
Thank you Thank you to everyone who attended the
15th annual "BADLANDS BOWL" Game last Saturday evening.
It was very much appriciated.