Posted by Kacey (+3159) 11 years ago
On Nov. 6, 2010, Daniel Thomas Halsey, died of esophageal cancer. He was born on April 19, 1955, in Miles City, Mont., the eldest of four children of Thomas Halsey and Edith Watson Halsey. Dan was educated in the Catholic school system, excelling in sports. Throughout his life he was an avid sportsman. Hunting and fishing with his father gave him great pleasure. He attended college at Eastern Montana College in Billings, graduating from Montana State University, Bozeman in 1981. A major in English led to his career in education. He taught in Colstrip, Stanford, Forsyth, Rapelje and in Browning, all in Mont. He taught English in South Korea for two years, 1996-1998 taking several trips to Asian cities. Dan finally found his permanent place in Crownpoint, N. M., where he taught English in the high school from 2000 until illness forced his retirement in 2009. His success with raising the reading levels of his Navajo students earned recognition from the state and gave him great satisfaction.

In 1981, Dan married Melissa Anderson. His only child, Carissa Ann, was born in 1982.

In 1998, Dan began a long relationship with Dolores Rehder. In 2008, they were married in Billings. The love and warmth in their marriage sustained Dan through the painful months of his final illness. He spent much of those months sharing his love with family and friends, and they, in turn, are proud of the grace, good humor and acceptance that made that time bearable for all of us.

The professionalism and warmth of Dr. Whittenberger and the dedicated staff at Billings Clinic Oncology Center affirmed our faith in centralized cancer care. They were there for us every step of the way, until, when it was clear that Dan's cancer was incurable, he was referred to Rocky Mountain Hospice. The staff from hospice was incredible. The sympathetic and confident care, the quick and cheerful response to Dan's and Dolores's every need eased Dan's decline painlessly and with dignity.

Dan is survived by his wife Dolores; his adoptive father Larry Campodonico; his sister Shannon Holmen (Bryan) and their children Melynda Hould (Sam) and their two children, Emma and Haley, Ben (Molly) and their two children, Gentry and Brennan; his sister Leah Barnier (David) and their children, Kate and Albert; his brother Richard Campodonico; and by his daughter Carissa and her children, Kessley and Kadrian Odegard. He was preceded in death by two brothers, Larry Campodonico,Jr. and Ronald Frank Halsey; and by both parents, Edith Campodonico and Tom Halsey.

Cremation has taken place. Memorial Services will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 11, at Michelotti-Sawyers Mortuary. A small reception will follow in the foyer. The family requests that in lieu of flowers, please make a donation in Dan's name to the charity of one's choice.

Michelotti-Sawyers Mortuary is in charge of arrangements and remembrances may be left for the family at http://www.michelottisawyers.com.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 11 years ago
That is really sad news. My condolences to the family, especially Shannon. I wish I had known he was in Crownpoint. It makes me wonder how often others I have known are right next door and I was simply unaware. It takes a really special person to teach in Crownpoint.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 11 years ago
Shannon has had a rough year. She is in my thoughts.
supporter
Posted by Dona Stebbins (+819) 11 years ago
I used to babysit Danny and Shannon. They were beautiful children and I know they grew to be fine adults. My thoughts and prayers are with the Halsey and Carroll family.