Buying a TV - Advice Needed
supporter
Posted by Big Dave (+435) 11 years ago
So, I must be just about the last human being on the planet without a digital, wide-screen television. And since my old RCA 19 incher is about to kick the bucket, I am going to take the plunge and upgrade.

What sayeth the denizens of milescity.com about brand, size, features etc?

I would like to spend less than $500 and go bigger than 32 inches or so. Any suggestions or cautionary notes?
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1372) 11 years ago
Shop diligently. I've seen the same models from the same manufacturers at drastically different prices. I still have a CRT TV myself and have been checking some out too. I've noticed that I like the picture quality on the Samsung and Sony TVs the best. Just make sure that you get a set that has plenty of inputs and outputs so you can hook up your game controller, DVD, VCR, computer, toaster and blender.
supporter
Posted by Art (+206) 11 years ago
Sorry to burst your bubble but you're not the last person on the planet. Me too.
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1495) 11 years ago
Sorry to burst your bubble but you're not the last person on the planet. Me too.

We also fit into that category.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11820) 11 years ago
DItto! Until it dies, we will live with the old CRT.

When we have vaguely shopped, we liked the LGs. But, in the end, the old one still works and a new one costs $$$$.

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (11/7/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 11 years ago
Wait for Black Friday or the day after and check Amazon.com. Bound to be some good flat-screen deals there. I am a fan of Samsung personally, but I think that the tech is mature enough now I wouldn't be afraid to but a Vizio or something along those lines. Just go into Best Buy and find a TV that you like the looks of, write down the model number and then go home and buy it on Amazon. Best Buy's prices are usually terrible.

Amazon's Black Friday deals will be available here:

http://www.amazon.com/Bla...=384082011

on November 22nd.
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4453) 11 years ago
Ditto on Best Buy.

I'd also add, don't sweat having 1080p (or not) too much, especially in this price range.

Won't make much difference unless you're into 50+ inch screens, but that's beyond your budget anyway.
Posted by DHinPH (+101) 11 years ago
We purchased a 46" Vizio and it died 1 month after warranties were up, 1200.00 bucks up in smoke. After massive amounts of research, reading reviews, specs. and looking at hundreds of TV's we purchased a Samsung and love it (so far, time will tell). There is no comparison in the picture quality, The Samsung is that much clearer and sharper of an image, the colors and blacks are fantastic, it looks almost 3D.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10003) 11 years ago
We have a 52" 16:9 1080p LCD (and I don't know, an old 20+"-something-whatever 4:3 CRT).

When going digital, I think the number of HDMI inputs should be a consideration. Our digital TV has 2. I think 3 should be the minimum, but I guess it depends upon what you are going to hook up to it.

In regards to 1080p vs. 1080i our HD TiVo does 1080i, and our PlayStation (Blu-ray DVD player) does 1080p. Our HDTV doesn't really care if it is interlaced or progressive, and I seriously can't tell the difference.

No matter what, I think a key thing to look for -- is if you wish to hook other devices up, then the number of HDMI ports becomes important. The other thing is (if you can preview the model of LCD TV you wish to purchase) check out how good the depth and contrast are (black vs. white), the vibrance, and how it appears from different angles -- or in other words, how does the screen look from the side rather than sitting right in front.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9965) 11 years ago
Popping bubbles here too. As long this old set will let us watch a dvd or two a month, we'll hang on to it.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14983) 11 years ago
A couple of years ago I bought a 57" Mitsubishi rear projection TV. I have been pretty happy with the picture quality. Recently, we had a Wii accident and the screen was cracked. I looked at the newer LCD and LED models and decided to keep the current TV. I was unimpressed with the newer LCD models. The picture on the newer models looks like you are watching through a screen door.

I'd look for a rear projection if you can find it. They should be in your price range.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (11/7/2010)]
supporter
Recently, we had a Wii accident and the screen was cracked.

Sure Richard. Just sounds better than a "Denver Broncos/Remote Control accident"
supporter
I assure you it was a Wii accident. If I was throwing remotes at TVs because of the Broncos I would go through about 5 set a week.
Posted by TK (+1624) 11 years ago
We have a 52" Magnavox in our living room (and I still love the fact that's a lot lighter than our old 32" tube tv was!!!), and a 32" Magnavox. Both are great, but the 52" has a better response time than the 32"---sometimes the 32" doesn't seem to keep up with faster motion (especially action). But overall, it's really clear, too.
Posted by jon s. (+58) 11 years ago
a couple years ago i bought my samsung 32 hdtv from wal mart. couldnt be happier. this thing is rarely turned off as i have practically everything digital running through it. the quality is great and the price was right, i paid 350 for it. we have the computer, cable, xbox, wii, and dvd hooked up to it. mine comes with 2 av ports, 2 hdmi ports, and a component port. I give mine a 5 out of 5 star rating! hope this helps. good luck!
Posted by stef428 (+234) 11 years ago
I just bought a 50" plasma made by Zenith at Kmart. I really like it. It has 3 HDMI hookups (which I don't really understand) but I really like it and am glad we decided against the 42". It was $560. A friend told me that if you can get a tv for $10 or less per inch you're getting a good deal.
admin
founder
HDMI is basically just a digital input where you don't lose any audio/video quality. It is the new version of the old analog RCA (red, white, yellow) plug.

If you have a newer DVR, Xbox, PlayStation, any Blu-ray DVD player, etc. -- you should use the HDMI cord as an input to the TV instead of the old RCA one.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9225) 11 years ago
It is the new version of the old analog RCA (red, white, yellow) plug

Just make sure you get oxygen-free hdmi cables - preferably with gold interconnects.
Posted by athome (+366) 11 years ago
We bought a 50" Samsung plasma early this year. We are exceptionally
pleased with the performance and the picture. Everyone says to get the LCD/LED now. The prices for those were easily $2000 more than this set. We checked everything out and talked to several pro's. Plasma's got a bad wrap a few years a go for some glitches. They have all been worked out and it's picture is as good or better than
most LCD sets and at a fraction of the price. The processing speed
is over 600 as well which is phenomenal. Blue-Ray inagery is unbelievable, especially with the animated stuff.

Good Luck
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1439) 11 years ago
My disclaimer being we have a 55" OLED 1080p flatscreen and purchasing it had all sorts of other decisions than had it been a smaller set.

However, I would recommend not getting too taken in by how something looks at the store for ANY TV on display. They're often tweaked for the store or have had their settings fooled with by customers.

I agree with sitting off-center of it and seeing if it'll show a nice picture for those not sitting dead-center.

HDMI inputs are definitely important if you wish to hook up digital cable, dish/satellite, game consoles, DVR, etc. The more the better. We have 6 inputs and are currently using 5.

Narrowing it down in your stated budget and size from there - If it were me I'd still factor in the above no matter the price range. If it looks washed-out and can't be seen except sitting right in front-center and you don't have enough inputs to hook up all the things you want... it's not worth it at any price.
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+598) 11 years ago
I just looked at my tv I only have one HDMI which I am not using so I guess it isn't important. I was wondering if it is like usb where you can add a usb thingy so you have several off one?
admin
founder
I think there are HDMI splitters, but I'm not sure how they work.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11820) 11 years ago
50" screen. A thousand plug-ins. High def. Super duper deluxe reception and 90% of what you watch is still crap.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6167) 11 years ago
True, but now it is super-clear crap.
supporter
50" screen. A thousand plug-ins. High def. Super duper deluxe reception and 90% of what you watch is still crap.

Well, Rick likes counting Glenn Beck's nose hairs.
supporter
I think Bridgier is being sarcastic, but please don't go and spend $100 on hdmi cables. "High End" hdmi cables are a scam.

And Glenn Beck never stops shouting long enough to get a good look. Then again I don't have Fox News in HD anyway.
Posted by Bruce Helland (+588) 11 years ago
People with big TV's are compensating for something.... just saying
supporter
Bad Eyesight.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 11 years ago
I think there are HDMI splitters , but I ' m not
sure how they work.

A lot of newer receivers have hdmi switchers. That is how my system is set up. The cable box, playstation, and htpc all plug into the receiver and it is the only thing connected to the tv.
Posted by Gm. Bonine (+87) 11 years ago
Recently, we had a Wii accident and the screen was cracked.

leave it to you to have an accident while playing with your Wii. .

Gm
supporter
Posted by M T Zook (+505) 11 years ago
50 Samsung Plasma is what we bought about a year ago. Awesome picture, the Olympics were breath taking.

Plasma is better for offset viewing, it can be seen at any angle, so consider how your living room is set up. Bad thing is they have thick glass screens and have a lot of glare, so if you have a bunch of windows, it can be annoying. Plasma is not very eco-friendly, the stuff it is made of really should be recycled and not just trashed. Conscientious disposal could be an issue. Plasma will suffer burn-in on the picture. If you play a lot of video games, some of those images can get "etched" into the screen. It can be erased or will fade with time. We play the Wii occasionally and have had no problems, but some of the banners on ESPN will burn in once in a while. I ignore it and it goes away in a short while.

Plasma is cheaper, much cheaper than a comparable LED TV. If you are planning on watching a lot of sports, you need to pay attention to the mhz of the TV. The higher the better, it has to do with the screen refresh rate. I don't know too much more about it, but I am sure somebody here does!

Good luck, it's a hard decision. Might want to subscribe to Consumer Reports for a month online and do some quick research, they have a lot of info. They are a great resource for these types of things.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1598) 11 years ago
sony
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5096) 11 years ago
Ditto.