Perhaps a conflict of interest...
Posted by CS Hunt (+330) 11 years ago
But I doubt he has ever shown a bias....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40031081
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5096) 11 years ago
supporter
Did Hannity get suspended?
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2733) 11 years ago
It isn't a conflict of interest, and if MSNBC and FOX would just be honest with themselves and the public, this whole thing would already be yesterday's non-news - actually, it wouldn't have been any news at all.

FOX is the voice of conservatism in America right now. Nothing is going to change it and I'm not even sure it should. The most dishonest thing about FOX is its slogan: Fair and Balanced. It isn't, and that's OK. Why don't they just plain man up and admit it.

MSNBC, for better or worse, is what the liberals have at the moment. Nobody with half a brain (e.g., conservatives) could be one bit surprised that Olbermann gave money to a couple of democrats. In fact, the shocking thing to me is that he made so few donations. Come on, Keith - put your money where your BIG FAT mouth is.

Journalism would be far better served by using this situation as an opportunity to define what the real MSM is - and the best way for real journalists to distinguish themselves from from the pundits at FOX and MSNBC right now would be to say, "Hey, it's fine if you guys engage directly in the political game because you AREN'T reporters. You're interpreters and commentatators and opinionators and cheerleaders and henchmen - but you ARE NOT journalists. No way, no how."

And while we're at it, let's bury the myth that there is a liberal bias or a conservative bias to the mainstream media. Bias, like beauty, is in the eye (mind) of the beholder. It would be far simpler to call FOX 'The Republican Network' and MSNBC 'The Democrat Channel' and let the real news machinery get back to churning out the News and Nothin' But.

And that's all I have to say about that.

[This message has been edited by Steve Craddock (11/5/2010)]
For whatever reason I can't get your link to come up.

The issue, for me, besides being against company policy, is Mr. Olbermann said this:
"our charge for the immediate future is to stay out of the way of the news.... News is the news. We will not be screwing around with it As times improve and the war ends we will begin to introduce more and more elements familiar to my style."

and in how he would contrast his program from O'Reilly's he said:

"I'm not looking to take down Bill. It will be a totally different program. It will not be a show in which opinion and facts are juxtaposed so as to appear to be the same thing."

Which if you are doing commentary as Hannity and Oreilly AND OLBERMANN do, admit it's what you do. It's not "NEWS", It's commentary. An individual opinion based on individual interpretation of the news. Their is bias with Olbermann as much as the other two. He got screwed because he publically expressed his bias via political donation, which ruins corporate ability to maintain an air of objective journalism stance they cling to while offering his program. Hannity and the political commentary bunch over at Fox present themselves as commentary. Right or Wrong, True of False they claim commentary.

[This message has been edited by CS Hunt (11/5/2010)]
supporter
supporter
Fair and balanced.

Definitely.

We report, you decide.
supporter
CS - The only thing I disagree with you on is that FOX is honest that its talking heads are commentators. Yes, it admits that about Hannity and Beck and O'Reilly. But the news programs are as tilted as far to the right as they can be - with a token "opposite side of the aisle" voice thrown in from time to time to keep FOX from seeming completely absurd.

Admittedly, MSNBC has a hard time accomplishing even that.

I stand by everything I said above - except of course the last line. Obviously I have more to say about that - cuz I just did.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 11 years ago
I just think that everyone should stop listening to those dudes.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17490) 11 years ago
I agree with Levi.
supporter
As usual, Levi comes up with the simplest and smartest solution.
K.I.S.S. works EVERY time MOST of the time.
supporter
Who started this thread, anyway?
Posted by Steve Allison (+982) 11 years ago
Just a bit of history on the unbiassed news subject.
Long a go when the press was the only news, it was Not unbiassed. You owned the press you printed what you want. If you wanted to express another opinion you bought a press.Then came broadcast journalism. In the United States courts ruled that the people owned the airwaves and government rents them to the broadcasters for us. The government decided one condition of renting airwaves was presenting unbiassed news. It also set other rules like the balance between commercials and show air time but those are not important to this topic. So we all got the idea that news should be unbiassed and that being so was a sign of good journalism.
Then came cable TV and strictly cable channels. Once again no airwaves are being used so no requirement for unbiassed news coverage. But corporate executives know people have gotten use to the ideal of unbiassed news and that they think it is a sign of quality news reporting. So they report what and how they want but try to pretend it is unbiassed.
Personally I agree with Steve Craddock that there is nothing wrong with presenting a point of view in you news and program coverage, just be honest about it and let people know what you point of view is up front. Fox News calling itself the voice of conservative America or MSNBC saying it is the liberal side of American politics would be straight forward and honest but they are afraid it would reflect on the quality of their coverage, when in fact it does the opposite by not be honest up front.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 11 years ago
I'm afraid to speak to my mother. She LOVES Olberman.
supporter
And I love your mother, Wendy. She's a wonderful and inspiring person!

Hey Steve - I was just thinking how smart it was to provide a history of bias in the media so we could have some context for the current state of affairs. I was like, Ya, this is right on target! Then I read the part where you agreed with my earlier comment so I'm now convinced you are the smartest MC.commie around!