Is One Church As Good As Another?
Posted by James Lynch (+206) 12 years ago
"Is One Church As Good As Another?"

There are many people who say that one church is as good as another. Allroads lead to heaven anyway, right? They say that people in all churches are going to be saved. One denominational church is actually as good as any other denomination.

However, no denomination is as good as the one church the Lord established for Himself. Jesus did not promise to build even one denomination. The word "denomination" means a part of the whole. The Lord's church is not a part of any thing else, but is a complete entity within itself. There were no denominations during the time of the apostles. The Lord did not establish any of the denominations, man did.

This is an unpopular doctrine with many people who belong to the many differing denominations, however, The Lord has only one church. The Bible says, "There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all" (Ephesians 4:4-6). We might ask, is one God as good as another? No. Is one Lord as good as another? No. Is one body as good as another? No.

What is the Lord's one body then? Jesus is the "head over all things to the church, which is His body" (Ephesians 1: 22-23). We see that the Lord has only one body and that one spiritual body is His church, the church of Christ as demonstrated in the New Testament and exemplified in the apostles teachings and examples.

Jesus only promised to build His one church. He said to the Apostle Peter concerning his affirmation about Jesus being The Christ that, "Upon this rock (statement) I will build My church" (Matthew 16:18). "My" is a possessive pronoun and the word "church" is singular. Ephesians 5:23 says that Jesus "is the Saviour of the body", the church. Jesus has only promised to save those in His "one body", His one church. But, the sad and tragic thing is that with this being true all others in the many differing denominations are in danger of being lost unless they are a part Christ's church (body).

How does one get into the Lord's one church? People were told to "repent and be baptized for the remission (forgiveness) of sins" (Acts 2:38). Jesus says, "He that believes and is baptized shall be saved but he who does not believe will be condemned" (Mark 16:16). Once people are saved we see "And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved" (Acts 2:47). Here is a key factor where we see the Lord adds only the saved to His church. He makes no mistakes in adding any unsaved people to His church. We also see that in order to be saved so that we can be added to His church, we must be baptized for the forgiveness of our sins.

The vast majority of denominations say that in baptism one's sins are not washed away and baptism is not essential to salvation. According to the Lord, if one believes and practices this he cannot be saved. But those in the Lord's one church enjoy the remission of sins and the Lord has added them to His church. The Lord does not add the saved to a "church of their choice". And since we can infer that the Lord does not add the unsaved to His church, the unsaved have to join a denomination.

ALL denominations are the result of the many departures from the teaching of the Bible. Denominationalism is unscriptural since each denomination has a human founder, and not Christ. The Bible teaches that God is not the author of confusion. Denominationalism is plagued with division, conflicting creeds and doctrines, unscriptural worship and other practices, all of which are different from what God has authorized in the Bible and causes nothing but confusion. They are doing man's will and not God's will, thus God will not save them in their folly.

Each of the differing denominations cannot be a branch of the Lord's one true church since each one claims to be a distinct church within itself. Jesus says, "Every plant which My heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted" (Matthew 15:13). And "Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain that build it" (Psalms 127:1). It does one no good to belong to a denominational church and worship there. He is wasting his time and will lose his soul. Jesus says, "And in vain they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men" (Mark 7:7). Vain worship is useless.

The one church for which the Lord shed His blood and died is far superior to all the denominations founded by men. The Lord's church was "purchased with His own blood" (Acts 20:28). Christ "loved the church and gave Himself for her" (Ephesians 5:25). The value of something that is purchased is equal to the price paid. The value of the Lord's church is equal to the value of Jesus Christ Himself. The value of the Lord is priceless, so the value of His church is also priceless. Just as counterfeit money is worthless, denominational churches are worthless counterfeit creations of men. One must be determined to search the scripture and find a congregation of the Lord's church and thus be added to the Body of Christ by being baptized. Therefore, "putting on Christ in baptism" (Galatians 3:26-27).

The church does not save us, but the Lord has placed only those who are saved in His one church. "Christ is head of the church; and He is the Saviour of the body" (Ephesians 5:23). If one expects to be saved, he must be in the Lord's one body, His church, and not in a man made denominational church. As we have seen that each of the denominational churches are as good as the others since they are all worthless and will only cause one to lose his soul in the eternal fires of Hell. But the Lord's one true church is far, far superior to any denominational church. There is no comparison.

Each person will be responsible for our own actions and weather or not we followed the Word of God or the doctrines of men. Also, the leadership of the various denomination throughout the world will one day have to stand before God in Judgment and answer for the lies they have given and why they led so many of the Lord's sheep astray. Paul said in Romans 10:14 "And how will they hear without a preacher?" Now that you have heard, are you willing to believe and obey the truth of God's Word? Your life does depend on it. God bless, have a great week, and keep working in the Word.

In His Service,
Jim lynch, Evangelist
Miles City Church of Christ
406-234-3775
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12288) 12 years ago
I'm still confused.
Posted by CS Hunt (+328) 12 years ago
Richard,

That clearly says doctrine not denomination. Though some denominations do have doctrinal issues they are not one in the same.

Amorette,

Can you try to express your confusion one more time. Maybe we can better address your question if you dumb it down for us.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15311) 12 years ago
Denominations form because sinful man is intolerant of sound doctrine (i.e. you're saved by baptism, not some "altar call" experience ), wants to have his ears tickled on a particular point of emphasis, and finds preachers, teachers, or evangelists that will fill that "need". So the passage cited is very much about denominations.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9430) 12 years ago
I think Amorette's question is "who gives a poop?"

If God does, then He's incredibly petty for something that supposedly brought 13 Billion light years of real estate into existence, and one has to wonder if such a creature is really deserving of our time and attention.

Now, if God doesn't particularly care about the proper interpretation of the filioque clause, to say nothing over the manner in which water is applied to you during baptism, then the only people concerned about such things are, well, people - and given that people will argue about things for which there exists empirical evidence, it's pretty much guaranteed that they will argue endlessly over intangibles such as metaphysics.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 12 years ago
ASSUMING the bible is truthful about Christ, then the bible should be truthful about EVERYTHING.

This is what gets me. It ignores the internal conflicts in the bible itself. How can all four books describing Jesus's birth be correct when they conflict with each other?

[This message has been edited by Wendy Wilson (11/9/2010)]
Wendy,

IF there were any true internal conflicts in the Bible this thing would have unraveled a LONG time ago. I would suggest you dig a lil' deeper and you'll find there is none.
supporter
Correct me if I'm wrong Wendy, but wouldn't that be a correct usage of the term "begging the question"?
Denominations can also form due to someone teaching unsound doctrine... ie claiming to have an intermediary with God other than Christ.

I agree people go "church shopping" to suit their wants and desires instead of seeking out what their spirit needs. They substitute religion and ritual for relationship. They seek the company and approval of man, instead of God. It's easier to find people who are willing to make up their own rules and campaign for them and tell you what to do than it is to find someone who you bring a spiritual problem to and the first thing they ask is, "Have you prayed about it?"...

People are quick to committee, or seek counsel of men to keep from having to make a decision on their own and be responsible for their actions, or to have their actions justified by consensus. If you pray to God about something and have waited on guidance, received it, and acted on it, who's to argue with your actions?

meh....
Posted by Mary B. (+201) 12 years ago
"IF there were any true internal conflicts in the Bible this thing would have unraveled a LONG time ago. I would suggest you dig a lil' deeper and you'll find there is none."

That's an easy argument to make when literacy rates before the 1700s were less than 50% and since the 1700s people like John Mill have been unraveling the text. It's hard to question text you can't read.
If you can't find someone in 1700 years when the population went from 200 million at the time of christ (according to TIME magazine) and at the end of the 18th century was estimated at approximately 1 billion {according to wikipedia} to find an error to derail Christianity (half of which would be 400 million people that were "literate") or the 5 billion plus that have come into existence since then, I think christianity is on solid ground.

so what else you got?

[This message has been edited by CS Hunt (11/9/2010)]
supporter
Correct me if I'm wrong Wendy, but wouldn't that be a correct usage of the term "begging the question"?

Bingo.
"I think christianity is on solid ground."

You keep on thinking that while it all unravels around you.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 12 years ago
Lets list some errors that derail Christianity.

I'll go with:

If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her; Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city. Deuteronomy 22:23-24

Of course CS probably agrees with the bible, making him/her completely procreateing retarded.
Posted by Tracy Walters (+302) 12 years ago
No ask any Christian His/Hers is the only way.

Ask me.

No...my church isn't the only way. However, I believe that the only way to God is through accepting Jesus. Many churches believe this to be true...many dispute the fine details of doctrine, some like to kneel and pray, some stand and sing, others do good works.

Some folks like church to be solemn and filled with ritual, some like to be joyful, happy and celebrate. As long as they believe in Jesus, and ask for forgiveness, accept his gift, and live for God, they'll go to Heaven.

That doesn't mean they'll be perfect, or right, or better than anyone else. Unfortunately, those who don't believe want to ridicule and belittle anyone who does believe.

It's interesting that it's okay for a non-believer to call a believer, stupid, ignorant, hypocritical, and a myriad of other names, but act completely surprised when those other human beings become upset....as if they are supposed to be without blemish, when no one, not even God, said they should be. It's the non-believers who labeled Christians as being supposedly 'perfect.'

...and now I'll get abuse for actually believing in God and Jesus, and having the effrontery to actuall say so.
supporter
Well said, Tracy.
"Unfortunately, those who don't believe want to ridicule and belittle anyone who does believe."

Tracy, probably because they've had it up to here with this,

"If I know the Bible teaches the truth about any subject, especially how one is to be justified before God, and I do not teach it to others then I will be held accountable to God for not at least trying to snatch others from the fire of hell."
supporter
For the most part, this thread has been mostly respectful of "believers", yet Tracy still feels the need to nail himself to the cross of suffering in the face of... what, precisely? Wendy's withering scorn? Buck's contention that not all parts of the Bible are applicable in modern society? My own suspicion that God's a Universalist?

No one makes fun of believers for being believers, they ridicule them because a lot of them are douchebags who slap God on whatever politically reactive crap they've decided is an "eternal principal" this week. Or perhaps I missed the verses where God proclaims His unwavering support for a minimal tax rate and and open carry legislation.
supporter
I think God's probably a Universalist, too. Universalists are cool with talking smack, at least at this church. I happen to be an ordained minister, wasn't that difficult. Been spreading the word for quite a while. CHURCH.
"After long study and experience, I have come to the conclusion that [1] all religions are true; [2] all religions have some error in them; [3] all religions are almost as dear to me as my own Hinduism, in as much as all human beings should be as dear to one as one's own close relatives. My own veneration for other faiths is the same as that for my own faith; therefore no thought of conversion is possible."

(M. K. Gandhi, All Men Are Brothers: Life and Thoughts of Mahatma Gandhi as told in his own words, Paris, UNESCO 1958, p 60.)
Amorette,
No I am not suggesting any particular denomination. On the contrary I am imploring just the oposite. I do not see anywhere in the Bible where denominationalism is condoned or taught. One must find a group of Christians that follow Christ and His teachings and assemble with them.

Gotcha Mr Hunt...

sorry if I misunderstood any part of your intent.

Also allow me to correct you on the statement that I am talking about the catholic church, as you said before. I am NOT talking about the catholic church as it was established by man many years after the establishment of the Lord's Church we read about in scripture. The one true church (assembly) that follows Jesus.

2 Tim 4:3 - is describing how those who will not listen to the sound teachings of the Bible will turn to there own idealistic belifes and to those false teachers who will tell them what they want to hear instead of telling them what they need to hear. This is exactly how den\omination get their start...EGO.

Have a greast evening folks...off to Bible class, Jim
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1905) 12 years ago
I can't wait to hear what you learned about this week!
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4944) 12 years ago
Funniest comment of this thread, Bob....LOL
Well said, Tracy.

Thank you, Richard!

Tracy still feels the need to nail himself to the cross of suffering in the face of...

Bridgier...I didn't 'nail myself to the cross of suffering' I just stated what happens so often on this site and others when someone who is a Christian states their belief in something. Belief in God is pervasive in one's life, it's not hard to see someone applying it to political situations as well as other aspects of their life.

As was said in another thread, what you believe constitutes civility depends on where you stand on the issue.
Posted by Russell Bonine (+246) 12 years ago
I can't wait to hear what you learned about this week!

We can only hope it is how to make the proper distinction between law and gospel!

supporter
I just stated what happens so often on this site and others when someone who is a Christian states their belief in something.

It hadn't happened yet, so you thought a pre-emptive crucifixion was necessary, just in case it happened?

It hadn't happened yet, so you thought a pre-emptive crucifixion was necessary, just in case it happened?

Interesting that you thought that. The only Crucifixion that I care about already happened.

"I can't wait to hear what you learned about this week!"

"Tis not what we learn in life that is of most importance as it is how we apply the knowledge we recieve" ...JL

...but I am sure this is not an original thought as I don't have any, probably read it somewhere...lol.

[This message has been edited by James Lynch (11/13/2010)]
supporter
I before E except after C.....
thanks howdy...
supporter
Anytime <tips.hat>
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10020) 12 years ago
Except for words like neighbor.
supporter
...and Budweiser.
supporter
and weird.
Jim,

catholic with a little "c" means universal...as in applies to everyone who chooses to take part via Christ's invitation.

vs

Catholic with a big "c" means Roman Catholic Church as in applies to everyone who chooses to take part via the Roman Catholic Church catechism, baptism, etc.

amazing how capitalization can make such a HUGE difference.
supporter
http://www.kpho.com/news/...etail.html

This Church is DEFINITELY not as good as another.
There have been thousands of domed Churches over history, there are several in Rome and France

Isn't the one in Helena domed? I may be incorrect about that...anyway:

http://www.flickr.com/pho...315571790/

Or isn't it the dome you are speaking of?
"amazing how capitalization can make such a HUGE difference."

Chuck,
Sorry, didn't pick up on that before but you are correct in explaining and right in how it does make a difference... but I too wonder why. AAAHHH...the joy of the english dialect...lol.

Have a great day and hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving.

Lets do coffee again sometime when you get a break.

Jim
Posted by Robert L. Reyff (+34) 12 years ago
John 3:3-15
I Cor 15:20-28
There is only one problem involved with your thinking. Only one of the World's religions, if you want to call it that, can save your spirit and usher you into the next phase of life!
supporter
Dumbass

Hell should be a real treat if I don't have to hear any of this poop

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (11/27/2010)]
Robert,
Jesus said "I AM the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me."

That narrows it down does it not?

Buck,
You can always turn off the computer or not read the articles if it disturbs you that much. Then again, if it disturbs you that much then maybe you need to do something to aleviate the unrest in your soul...
supporter
You can always turn off the computer or not read the articles if it disturbs you that much.

If you're so disturbed by homosexuals... Oh, I bet you can't.
Posted by polar bear (+509) 12 years ago
James, you cannot use the Bible to prove the Bible. That is how cults operate. The main guy says he is God and when questioned he says God told him that so you have to believe it.

First you have to prove the Bible factually true, without using the Bible at all. Then it can be considered a source.
supporter
First you have to prove the Bible factually true, without using the Bible at all. Then it can be considered a source.

Hmmm... let's think about this.

First you have to prove the Polar Bear is factually true, without using the Polar Bear at all. Then it can be considered a source.
Posted by Bruce Helland (+586) 12 years ago
And the wheels go 'round and 'round........
Coming soon: Wellspring Life Coaching, LLC
supporter
Stop advertising in the discussion forums, sir.
Posted by BD (+330) 11 years ago
No, according to Jesus even his mother had to change faith from a Jew to a Christian, She followed the teaching of the Bible, nothing more, what Jesus said and did is the right church. You have to find one that teaches what the Bible says and does, not a social gathering for everyone.