Big Sky Conference Expansion
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5096) 11 years ago
OK, the Big Sky has added Southern Utah and the University of North Dakota to the conference, and will apparently add the University of South Dakota soon.

What's going on with the conference?

Why didn't the Big Sky add North Dakota State and South Dakota State when they had the opportunity?

NDSU (and I hate the Bison) is a way better program than UND, USD, SDSU or Southern Utah. Did the conference even approach NDSU this time?

I don't understand?

What's the latest on Montana joining the WAC? Would Montana State go up as well? Help?
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4462) 11 years ago
My fingers are crossed that UM goes and MSU stays. It would be so nice if there were only one place for all the D-1 failures to transfer to.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1906) 11 years ago
I saw in a recent article, and I'm not sure where I saw it, that the "core 9" schools were all staying in the Big Sky. I'm assuming they were including UM. And I agree, Bob. The Big Sky had the ND schools begging to join. Now, what the hell?

What I had hoped for, and it was probably a pipe dream, was for the Big Sky to add some quality schools and then attempt to become a D1 conference.
Posted by mule train (+1057) 11 years ago
My money is on the Griz moving up to the WAC. That's not what I want to, but there's not other conference (that I can see) where they would end up.

As far as NDSU not getting in the Big Sky, I have no idea as to why? If Montana is gone, and South Dakota does join, then the Big Sky would have 10 teams correct?

Bob L., I am as confused as you...but like I said, I see the Griz moving up (if the WAC can even survive).
supporter
I know you don't care, but here's the history on the NoDak schools.

NDSU wanted to move up to I-AA because DII was going to lower the number of scholarships. They wanted UND to move up too, but UND said no. A big pissing match ensued, and NDSU went to I-AA along with SDSU.

UND then refused to play NDSU in football, ending one of the longest uninterrupted series in college football.

NDSU and SDSU apply to the Big Sky as travel partners, but the Big Sky takes Northern Colorado(!?!?!) and some other crud (I think).

Five years later, citing the lack of football scholarships, UND goes to I-AA. NDSU is now in the Summit. The Summit refuses to admit UND because of the "Fighting Sioux" name.

Whatever happens in Montana, I hope you keep the annual Bobcat/Griz game. We sure miss Bison/Sioux over here.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1598) 11 years ago
The Griz should stay where they are and remember the illfated climb or decline of the Vandals.

I agree that NDSU or SDSU would have been a better fit.

Frontier- Looks like maybe- Dickinson State could join the Frontier that would be a good fit.
supporter
I'd been wondering about the Nodak schools myself, Bob.
supporter
The Hell? USD NOT joining the Big Sky???

http://billingsgazette.co...002e0.html

USD is the weakest program among the land grant colleges in ND and SD. Small budget relative to its peers, lack of booster support, marginal administration.

IMHO, no big loss for the Big Sky.

Who's gonna be UND's travel partner now? Northern Colorado? This sucks for UND.
supporter
So SD is going to have TWO D1 teams? WTF
supporter
Yup.

Because USD didn't join the Big Sky, you'll probably never get to see the Griz play in the decrepit Dakota Dome in Vermillion, SD.

And the USD football players will be spared a bus ride from Vermillion to Missoula.
Posted by Dave Golterman (+244) 11 years ago
Semi-annual trips to the Alerus Center in Grand Forks should be fun. Now if MSU or UM would add hockey so we could go watch them play at Englestad Arena!
supporter
Dave: Englestad is an awesome facility. Perhaps the best hockey venue (including NHL arenas) in the United States.

And if you're lucky, the Sue hockey team will have a home series on the same weekend as a Montana/UND football game.

[This message has been edited by Bob L. (11/5/2010)]
Posted by Pman 124 (+6) 11 years ago
the down side to the Engelstad, is that in the next five years every sioux logo must be removed from the arena do to UND changing the mascot. It will just not be the same as it is now.
supporter
Pman:

They will not remove the Sioux logos from Englestad.

They couldn't do it even if they wanted to.
supporter