It Takes a Comedian
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1903) 11 years ago
And yes, they're from the Huffington Post so I'm sure about 2/3 of te posters here won't bother to look.

http://www.huffingtonpost...76652.html

http://www.huffingtonpost...76541.html
supporter
Posted by Carol Quale (+131) 11 years ago
Fun signs. The kitten Hitler cracked me up.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3831) 11 years ago
I was very impressed by Stewart's closing comments. It was a touching ten minutes and the traffic analogy was excellent. I hope it kick starts some thoughtful dialog.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15285) 11 years ago
I fail to see how making a mockery of the process is helpful.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5105) 11 years ago
Yeah, Richard. Mark Twain and Will Rogers sucked, didn't they?
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6118) 11 years ago
No, Richard - Jon and Stephen were making a mockery of the people (Lipstick, Dipstick and the dippoops who follow them) who have already made a mockery of things.

And they did a splendid job of it. Read Jon's monologue. Truer words have never been said.
supporter
In addition to Barry Switzer, here is another individual Will Rogers never met.

I don't understand how signs like the one above and the accompanying thinking that creates such signs adds to the civility and spirit of cooperation Stewart claims to want. It seems hypocritical to me.
supporter
That's the best you can do, Richard?

Does that sign offend your Christian sensibilities? Too bad!
supporter
Does that sign offend your Christian sensibilities? Too bad!

No, it doesn't.

What offends me is the syncretist environment in which we live where show business, sarcasm, genuine political difference, religion, etc, have become indistinguishable from one another. It makes principled discussion nearly impossible. Glenn Beck, Rush, and Shawn Hannity are as culpable in this mess as are Stewart and Colbert.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6175) 11 years ago
At our local gathering there were signs that said, "I'm moderately irked, and I'm not going to scream about it" and "A well-reasoned argument won't fit on this sign".
It's a slam on your woefully underqualified candidate, Christine O'Donnell, Richard.

By the way, it's National Rub One Out to a Picture of Christine O'Donnell Day on Facebook.

And there is no way a sane person could equate Glenn Beck and Jon Stewart. Unless that person is sane and cognitively-delayed.
And Richard? If you actually read Jon's monologue as I suggested, you'd realize that he's advocating nearly the exact same thing you have.
supporter
Posted by Mike Wallick (+172) 11 years ago
OMG...they are all in it for three things:

1. Their ego.

2. Themselves.

3. The bucks.

Everyone wants to think that the one spouting their pablum is somehow more pure than the other.

Nope.
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1668) 11 years ago
Glenn Beck, Rush, and Shawn Hannity are as culpable in this mess as are Stewart and Colbert.

But, Stewart is funny (which does not diminish his astute political analysis). Beck, Rush and Hannity are just angry fear mongers.

OMG...they are all in it for three things:

1. Their ego.

2. Themselves.

3. The bucks.

Everyone wants to think that the one spouting their pablum is somehow more pure than the other.

Of course they are all in it for the ego boost and money. They are all entertainers, no matter how much Beck, Rush and Hannity want to pretend they are serious political forces which which to be reckoned. At least Stewart has the balls to admit he's a comedian.
The "OMG" certainly adds gravitas to your argument, Mike.
supporter
Posted by Mike Wallick (+172) 11 years ago
Well, it does stand for "One More Gravita".

"You deserve a break today, so get up and touch away, at McDonalds!"

Peace.
supporter
It's a slam on your woefully underqualified candidate, Christine O'Donnell, Richard.

I understand that Brian. And if she were "my candidate" she wouldn't feel the need to masturbate.

I thought you were posting only in sports threads. Are you backsliding?

But, Stewart is funny (which does not diminish his astute political analysis). Beck, Rush and Hannity are just angry fear mongers.

They are funny to you, because they denigrate issues that you would denigrate. The notion that Stewart and Colbert are somehow "neutral" is patently false. At least be intellectually honest enough to admit that they have a bias.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (11/1/2010)]
supporter
Where, oh where, have I ever said they were neutral? I don't believe you will find that I have ever written anything of the kind.

I can't be intellectually honest, or dishonest for that matter, in regards to a claim I've never made.

The denigrating bit is funny though. Especially because I just accused someone else of denigration, which is not a term you hear often. Oh, and the masturbation bit too. You're on a roll Richard.
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4461) 11 years ago
This was pretty funny.

[This message has been edited by Rick Kuchynka (11/1/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6175) 11 years ago
Funny!!!

Just proves that stupidity does not respect political boundaries.
supporter

Yeahhh, Prop 19 man.
supporter
Posted by Bill Freese (+477) 11 years ago
The notion that Stewart and Colbert are somehow "neutral" is patently false.

Civility and neutrality are two different things. Anyone anywhere on the political spectrum can support civility.

I particularly liked Stewart's comment on reading bumper stickers during zipper merging. There are days when I am all worked up over politics, and then the guy in front of me with the "Somewhere in Kenya a village is missing its idiot" bumper sticker remembers to use his turn signal. That little act of civility frees me up to enjoy the humor in his doubly inaccurate political statement.
Posted by Cheryl Pieters (+484) 11 years ago
I've noticed that many posters on Milescity.com don't bother to read the posted links before they join in the argument (sometimes they don't even know what they are arguing about) I have seen people argue about a link, and when I read it I actually realized they had no idea what was even on it.

Here is a short clip for those of you who joined the fray with no idea what Jon Stewart even said...

?"We hear every damned day about how fragile our country is, on the brink of catastrophe, torn by polarizing hate, and how it's a shame that we can't work together to get things done. The truth is, we do! We work together to get things done every damned day."

- Jon Stewart, at the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear

Here is the whole speech, in case you have dial-up and really hate clicking on links since it takes your computer an hour to load a page....

The Rally for Sanity: An Eyewitness Account "We Came Because We Were Tired"

And now I thought we might have a moment, however brief, for some sincerity. If that's okay - I know that there are boundaries for a comedian / pundit / talker guy, and I'm sure that I'll find out tomorrow how I have violated them.

So, uh, what exactly was this? I can't control what people think this was: I can only tell you my intentions.

This was not a rally to ridicule people of faith, or people of activism, or look down our noses at the heartland, or passionate argument, or to suggest that times are not difficult and that we have nothing to fear--they are, and we do.

But we live now in hard times, not end times. And we can have animus, and not be enemies. But unfortunately, one of our main tools in delineating the two broke.

The country's 24-hour, political pundit perpetual panic conflictinator did not cause our problems, but its existence makes solving them that much harder. The press can hold its magnifying glass up to our problems, bringing them into focus, illuminating issues heretofore unseen. Or they can use that magnifying glass to light ants on fire, and then perhaps host a week of shows on the dangerous, unexpected flaming ants epidemic. If we amplify everything, we hear nothing.

There are terrorists, and racists, and Stalinists, and theocrats, but those are titles that must be earned! You must have the resume! Not being able to distinguish between real racists and Tea Party-ers, or real bigots and Juan Williams or Rick Sanchez is an insult--not only to those people, but to the racists themselves, who have put in the exhausting effort it takes to hate. Just as the inability to distinguish terrorists from Muslims makes us less safe, not more.

The press is our immune system. If it overreacts to everything, we actually get sicker--and, perhaps, eczema. And yet... I feel good. Strangely, calmly, good. Because the image of Americans that is reflected back to us by our political and media process is false. It is us, through a funhouse mirror--and not the good kind that makes you look slim in the waist, and maybe taller, but the kind where you have a giant forehead, and an ass shaped like a month-old pumpkin, and one eyeball.

So why would we work together? Why would you reach across the aisle, to a pumpkin-assed forehead eyeball monster? If the picture of us were true, of course our inability to solve problems would actually be quite sane and reasonable--why would you work with Marxists actively subverting our Constitution, and homophobes who see no one's humanity but their own?

We hear every damned day about how fragile our country is, on the brink of catastrophe, torn by polarizing hate, and how it's a shame that we can't work together to get things done. The truth is, we do! We work together to get things done every damned day! The only place we don't is here (in Washington) or on cable TV!

But Americans don't live here, or on cable TV. Where we live, our values and principles form the foundation that sustains us while we get things done--not the barriers that prevent us from getting things done.

Most Americans don't live their lives solely as Democrats, Republicans, liberals or conservatives. Americans live their lives more as people that are just a little bit late for something they have to do. Often something they do not want to do! But they do it. Impossible things, every day, that are only made possible through the little, reasonable compromises we all make.

(Points to video screen, showing video of cars in traffic.) Look on the screen. This is where we are, this is who we are. These cars. That's a schoolteacher who probably think his taxes are too high, he's going to work. There's another car, a woman with two small kids, can't really think about anything else right now... A lady's in the NRA, loves Oprah. There's another car, an investment banker, gay, also likes Oprah. Another car's a Latino carpenter; another car, a fundamentalist vacuum salesman. Atheist obstetrician. Mormon Jay-Z fan.

But this is us. Every one of the cars that you see is filled with individuals of strong belief, and principles they hold dear--often principles and beliefs in direct opposition to their fellow travelers'. And yet, these millions of cars must somehow find a way to squeeze, one by one, into a mile-long, 30-foot-wide tunnel, carved underneath a mighty river.

And they do it, concession by concession: you go, then I'll go. You go, then I'll go. You go, then I'll go. 'Oh my God--is that an NRA sticker on your car?' 'Is that an Obama sticker on your car?' It's okay--you go, then I go.

And sure, at some point, there will be a selfish jerk who zips up the shoulder, and cuts in at the last minute. But that individual is rare, and he is scorned, and he is not hired as an analyst!

Because we know, instinctively, as a people, that if we are to get through the darkness and back into the light, we have to work together. And the truth is there will always be darkness, and sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel isn't the promised land.

Sometimes, it's just New Jersey.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3710) 11 years ago
I just got around to watching Stewart's closing arguments and they were great. I am a big John Stewart fan.

Richard. Listen to his closing speech (or read it in the above post). I think you are making assumptions without trying to understand based on your comments.

Anyone that's up for a more in-depth discussion with Stewart, he recently did a long interview with Terry Gross from NPR.

http://www.npr.org/player...=130324991

[This message has been edited by Levi Forman (11/3/2010)]
Posted by Tracy Walters (+300) 11 years ago
It's interesting....this post has links to the Huffington Post and NPR in it, and they are accepted as valid news sources. In the same post, references to Fox News commentators are quite negative.

Don't you find that a bit hypocritical?

<edit>

And I guess I just don't see that a comedian, no matter which side they support, has much credibility. They are making their money by ridiculing prominent figures.

They can't ridicule someone as a comedian and then expect to be taken seriously on political issues.

[This message has been edited by Tracy Walters (11/3/2010)]
supporter
They can't ridicule someone as a comedian and then expect to be taken seriously on political issues.

If what they have to say is valid, why not?
Once a comedian starts down this path....who or what defines what is humor or a serious issue?

I don't think they know themselves, and are just playing to the crowd...like most of Hollywood
supporter
I don't see how this answers the question Tracy. If the comedian has a valid point, why does his vocation matter? Are you saying that politicians cannot ever carry a joke?

Okay, point taken.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10018) 11 years ago
Tracy Walters wrote:
I don't think they know themselves, and are just playing to the crowd...like most of Hollywood

Does that include Ronald Reagan?
Good point about Ronald Regan.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12212) 11 years ago
Reagan. The local plumbers are Regans.

Rupert Murdoch created Faux News to promote his right wing mindset. There has never been any question about that. He, through his network, recently donated millions of dollars to the Republican party. How you can interpret that as anything but biased in beyond me.

I don't care if Jon Stewart is a comedian or a strudel maker. He is smart, articulate, and makes good points. That is what counts. And if he is hilarious while doing it, it just makes it more pleasant.

And, as big brother said, neutral and civil are not the same thing. We need more civil from everyone.

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (11/3/2010)]
Ah...sorry...I did misspell that. I guess I'm now relegated to the status of an ignorant slob.

And it's interesting what people consider civil...I think it has a lot to do with whether or not they agree with what is being said.

[This message has been edited by Tracy Walters (11/3/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Carol Quale (+131) 11 years ago
Have we all lost sight of the fact that "Christine O'Donnell changed me into a newt"?

Seriously...when will we get back to the fact that what this nation needs is to ignore all this nonsense and start fixing the problems?
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4942) 11 years ago
here is a link of the funniest signs there...Some of them are hilarious but please pardon me if some of them are a repeat of previously posted ones...

http://www.funnyordie.com...nd-or-fear
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3710) 11 years ago
Those are great. My favorites:

And just to save you looking it up like I did:

Mark 11:12-14 (King James Version)

12And on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry:

13And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet.

14And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it.

[This message has been edited by Levi Forman (11/4/2010)]
supporter
Crap...there goes my Fig Newtons.
supporter
I'm a great Christian without even trying.

I hate Fig Newtons, Fig Newtons taste like ass.