Animal abuse
Posted by Kacey (+3151) 9 years ago
In the state of Montana animal abuse is a felony, punishable by up to a $2500 fine. Yet there are cases where animals are being abused by lack of food, water and proper shelter and nothing is being done by the authorities. Does anyone know of any organizations that would help in this? I know the usual answer is that each county or city has jurisdiction, but what if they are not doing their job? What if the pets continue being abused despite commplaints? Any ideas?
Posted by Hillary (+72) 9 years ago
No ideas for help except PETA or an out of town animal control center. I would like to add to that though. Recently a friend of mine was told by the member of a household that her father had hit their bulldog with a 2x4. This friend of mine looked over the dog and found the chin bloodied and pulverized with clear board marks on it. She then called the police for help investigating. The police went to the home, viewed the dog, and ruled there was no foul play. Hmm, how did that dog get those marks then? Well the individual accused says this lil bulldog did it running up and down the chain link kennel. I don't know of many dogs, even with their high pain threshold, that would continue such activity after their chin began to be pulverized, bloody, and deeply scarred.
So, clearly we have a problem of lack of caring by our police and animal control in this little town. Maybe it is time we all stand up and just let them know we've had enough of them ignoring these things while we know they're happening and have to simply cry for the poor creature as we are just citizens who have no power against other citizens without assistance from authorities! Of course, they claim there aren't resources - well I contend that quality of life triumphs over quantity and that lil dog is better off euthanized than ever being hit again! How traumatic! Anyone else have similar issues?!
Posted by Steve Allison (+973) 9 years ago
The city police if the crime is happening in the city limits and sheriff department if it is outside. You need to call and report it, they do not go around looking for animal abuse and it may not be noticeable for an officer passing by.
I am referring to known cases of animal abuse that have been reported, yet because the person knows the police officer or animal control officer there is never a ticket issued, or the animal is not removed from danger. I agree that people need to band together and demand that the authorities follow the law.
Posted by ellie may (+472) 9 years ago
how do you get the law here to follow any rules when they are all part of "the good ole boys club"???
Posted by Hillary (+72) 9 years ago
Yes, that is my big question too! Cuz they sure are! You know it when they let the falling down drunk driver continue home in the middle of the day cuz the person is too much to deal with and has no money for their fines anyway; meanwhile, they issue DUI to the people who barely fail the sobriety test late at night when most people aren't out and about (fail with the assistance of the police - I've observed them "faking" assistance to a "stumbling" person making it look good for the video - then the person only blew .11, barely over the old limit, barely over one drink as the individual stated; I do acknowledge that they were still over the limit but the police sure helped out on the failing of the sobriety test and most of us have had one drink and mosied on home). Just another example of their favoritism that I've seen firsthand.
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+888) 9 years ago
This is a very good use for digital cameras and cell phone cameras. If you can get a photo, providing proof goes a long way.

So back to the OP - if the investigating body does find neglect or abuse then I assume they are then temporarily responsible for the well being of the animal. If that is the case it opens up another kettle of fish. If the investigating body does not improve the situation for those animals it finds neglected then aren't they then responsible for the well being of said animal? This might be a reason to not press charges or find fault lest they become culpable themselves.

Still, I agree that abusers need to be ratted out.
I would think that whoever is in power over the animal control officer should be notified. Surely animal control is not an entity unto themselves. I also agree that if an animal control person finds an animal in an abusive situation and does nothing that they then should also be fined for abuse.
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+755) 9 years ago
Where I live nowadays the authorities are right on any complaint, any suspicion of animal abuse. The "Law Roundup" report in the local papers indicate that Sheriff and Police officers make a lot of checkups on animal welfare here. This is a HUGE county, and there seems to be a lot of problems on this issue here, too.
I know some things are way different in Miles City, apparently this is one of them?
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1726) 9 years ago
In defense of the authorities, it is very difficult to prove animal abuse. The laws pertaining to humane treatment are vague at best, as:"..provide shelter.." can be attained by placing a slanted board against a wall so the animal can get under it! When you claim there are animals w/o food or water ~ how can you be sure someone isn't feeding/watering them at certain times and it's gobbled up right away? Also, if they're never being fed..how are they still alive?

Some people are militantly defensive about their 'right' to keep animals ~ I don't for a second envy the Animal Control Officer having to investigate an abuse case Before you put all the blame on them, let's start with educating pet owners, and letting them know the poor treatment they're giving their pets is not well received by their friends, family and neighbors

BTW: I talked to a lady a while ago that has been trying to get the law in Custer County changed, or at least re-written, to be more specific on the subject of cruel/inhumane treatment of animals, but don't know if anything has come about on that project?
It is not difficult to prove animal abuse when the animal is obviously starving. Skin and bones. Water bowl is bone dry. Nothing but a cardboard box in the yard for shelter. That is abuse.

As for educating pet owners, that is next to impossible. People who love their pets don't abuse them. People who abuse animals have serious issues with their personality as it is and are not about to change their behavior through "education". Unfortunately there are too many people with pets who consider them to be nothing more than property which they can treat any way they want. If they were told to change how they treated their animal many would either beat it to death or kill it before giving up control. It's sick but it's very real.

The only way this will change is if the authorities follow up on every complaint of abuse. The law does need to be changed so that if an animal is found abuse it is IMMEDIATELY removed from the danger.
Posted by Joe Whalen (+616) 9 years ago
For clarification, Kacey, are you attempting to assign responsibility for the care, feeding & shelter of all animals, wild & domestic, to law enforcement?
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1726) 9 years ago
Good point, Mayor Whalen! Look at how people still get ruffled feathers over being forced to wear seat belts, not smoke in public areas and *hopefully SOON* not text while driving!
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13760) 9 years ago
I heard that the tea party is getting Sarah Palin to be the new President of the SPCA/Humane Society.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6169) 9 years ago
then the person only blew .11, barely over the old limit, barely over one drink as the individual stated; I do acknowledge that they were still over the limit but the police sure helped out on the failing of the sobriety test and most of us have had one drink and mosied on home).

As someone who used to prosecute DUIs in Helena, I know for a fact that unless you are an 80 pound woman you cannot blow a .11 after having only one drink.
Mr. Whalen,
NO. I am not advocating that. I am however advocating for animals who are domestic pets. They are helpless creatures and deserve at the MINIMUM to be provided with plentiful water and food. They also deserve adequate shelter. There are too many people who throw a cardboard box in their yard and say it's shelter. I have two dogs who are rescues that were in homes where they were not given food, water or shelter. They are the most loving creatures and most grateful for everything they have. They are now kept indoors a lot of the time. They still run to get into the house when a storm is coming. Their fear of thunder may never go away.

I guess my point is this: If you're going to get a pet then take care of it. If you don't want to care for it properly any longer then give it to someone who will care for it and show it the love it deserves.
I'm relieved to hear it, Kacey, because I was steeling myself for another visit or round of phone calls from Debbie Distemper.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7576669/
supporter
Posted by Dona Stebbins (+823) 9 years ago
Joe, that is absolutely hysterical!
Posted by Ryan (+481) 9 years ago
What really floors me is that its a felony for abuse of animals but a misdenmeanor to abuse your partner. And the fine is $100-$400. Whats wrong here???
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14179) 9 years ago
I'll keep that in mind the next time my wife puts me in the doghouse.
Where's "The Artist Formerly Known as 'Prince'" when you really need him?
Posted by Brandon Loomis (+100) 9 years ago
Ryan I was waiting for someone to point that out. Don't forget it's not just partner, it's family member to, so you can beat your children also for less than an animal.
Posted by RA (+652) 9 years ago
You might want to contact:

Humane Society of the United States - HSUS Northern Rockies Regional Office
490 North 31st Street
billings, Montana 59101
Phone: 406-255-7161
406-255-7161
Fax: 406-255-7162
Email: [email protected]
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4453) 9 years ago
What really floors me is that its a felony for abuse of animals but a misdenmeanor to abuse your partner. And the fine is $100-$400. Whats wrong here???

A man should be able to abuse any possession he chooses without fear of consequence.
Posted by Ryan (+481) 9 years ago
This is serious Buck. It's not something to joke about on abusing a loved one.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8297) 9 years ago
Green balloons.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4453) 9 years ago
Loved one/domestic servant. Same dif.
I copied this from the new post in the classified...MilesCityens Please Help....

Animal cruelty exists at 1210 truscott st. in miles city. Two dogs are caged in a 25+25 enclosure with frozen water if any, and food with snow as a topping, no shelter from the snow or freezing wind except for the holes they dig in the ground that fill with water during thawing or rain. They've been litterly locked in that cage since 2004 or longer. They have been inprisoned for years, They are never let out. The owner does'nt live there, He must think "Out OF SIGHT Out OF MIND ". I hear them cry everynight, and see them picking up there feet one by one because they have no escape from the bitter cold. The owners name is Liberty and he drives a green escalade pick-up. If you are someone who cares PLEASE CALL the ASPCA or the HUMAINE SOCIETY. This has gone on way too long.!! Drive by and see for yourself.

PLEASE call animal control, the mayor, or Wendy at the Montana State Humane Society at 633-0689. The abuse of animals in Miles City has to be stopped. The more calls they get the more likely something will be done.
Posted by Alisha Rogers- Marsh (+20) 9 years ago
Actually I live next to people who have tons of junk in their yard, fridges, tires, trucks, just junk and they also have 3 to 4 pitbulls, 2 rotweilers, 2 sheep, 1 goat, chickens that rule the road and 30 to 40 cats that live in the junk. the cats are plagued by fleas, some are missing eyes and some are missing ears. the dogs all look like they have done steroids but they are dept on chains in the midst of the junk. one day my husband and my landlord watched them make one of their pits pull a cinder block around by a chain to its neck. they said they were wearing it out. and just recently they got a 200 pound pig whos shelter is an umbrella they put up. I called dispatch and they told me they would have the dog catcher call me. that was 3 weeks ago. the cops seem to do anything only when there is a public out roar so you just have to create one. get pics and post them. that will rile people up.
Posted by Skye (+385) 9 years ago
Thats sad Alisha that you have to see that. What I don't get is why anywhere else in town people have to pick up there junk but on the North side of town most the people live like pigs. (Alishas neighbors). Why don't they have to pick up their poop but when someones garbage on the south side piles up the cops are called???? Seriously?????
well technically i do live just out of city limits but its still not right to let these people live like this. and it is only because they know people so the cops wont do anything. i just want them to do something to help these animals. y should they have to live like that?
Posted by Skye (+385) 9 years ago
In my opinion. I think some people get a sick twisted kick out of having helpless animals. It must make them feel powerful to know they run an animals life. Which is messed up. But don't expect anyone to do anything about the way they live or the animals. In other stories it sounds like the cops just can't do a damn thing.
they could they just refuse to.
Posted by Nicole P. (+7) 6 years ago
I am an active animal rights activist and you obviously cannot trust the authorities to make things better. They don't do poop. What you can do, as I educate others is to become active and STAY active in your community and worldwide by writing your local legislator, signing online petitions for good cause, contacting or writing your congressman, becoming an active participant at your local shelter, non profit organizations, and join forums, support, rescue groups to seek the best resources in your area for issues that arise or questions. Usually turning to these sources can be very beneficial. Just don't leave it up to others, like the authorities, to make change, we are animals voices, we are the change!
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8297) 6 years ago
So, are you a member of the Miles City Society To Prevent Animal Cruelty, or the Animal Cruelty Prevention Society, Miles City Chapter?

I mean, the MCSTPA is a great organization, but the ACPSMCC are a bunch of splitters, just saying...

[This message has been edited by Bridgier (10/2/2013)]
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1726) 6 years ago
You got THAT right, Bridgier

Wait..I'm the founder of the ACPSMCC You're just a know nothing troublemaker, that's what YOU are
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8297) 6 years ago
every animal welfare thread on mc.com needs this...