Just bein nosey
Posted by lexy (+33) 11 years ago
Does anyone know what's going on at the apartment building next to Short Stop? The ambulance and fire truck have been over there since yesterday afternoon and now there are a bunch of government vehicles with satellites on top of them all over that area.
Posted by Dave T (+15) 11 years ago
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1082868/

[This message has been edited by Dave T (10/26/2010)]

[This message has been edited by Dave T (10/26/2010)]
Good one Dave.
I just heard that there is some kind of chemical/explosive and that they had to evacuate everyone last night.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9389) 11 years ago
Ahhh. Meth Lab.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2768) 11 years ago
I was told it was a gas leak in the apartments next to Short Stop.
Posted by SS66 (+443) 11 years ago
I heard the local Spec Ops raided the apartment looking for Bin Laden! Finally some excitement in town
I guess I just figured if it was a gas leak that MDU or someone would be there, not the government.
Posted by Smiley (+843) 11 years ago
Meth lab would be my guess. I don't understand why people would have a meth lab, especially one that endangers innocent lives. America.
Posted by Judd (+48) 11 years ago
I was just there and asked them. They said it was a gas leak and they cannot find the leak. The fire department and ambulance are there just for safety precautions.
Posted by Samantha (+111) 11 years ago
if it was a meth lab, drug task force would be there too. not these mysterious huge blue trucks with satellites on top.

so they say it's a gas leak. i'm sure mdu was there but why those truck & who were they?
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17823) 11 years ago
Mysterious huge blue trucks with satellites and government license plates? Sounds like Obama's death panel.
Posted by Insider (+11) 11 years ago
I was informed it was a mysterious chemical that has yet to been identified but is moderately explosive. Those government vehicles are federal government hazmat team. I'm sure they won't say much else until they find out exactly what it is. Officials are just gonna say its a gas leak to just keep it simple and low key.
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+892) 11 years ago
Gosh! Quit with the rumors. We all know that to find out the truth, you just need to find Bobby and ask him!
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1434) 11 years ago
I heard what "Insider" heard and pretty much direct from source.
We can place bets? Stakes could involve Gunnar's underwear and a hedgehog?

Takers?
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17678) 11 years ago
Has Bert been in this building recently?
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+892) 11 years ago
A story about it in the Miles City Star...

http://www.milescitystar....php#story1
Posted by Stacie Miller (+239) 11 years ago
Now the post office has been displaced due to the gas leak. Crazy!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12124) 11 years ago
The Post Office has been moved temporarily out to the old County Market, between Aaron's and Mexico Lindo. So you can get a burrito to go when you pick up your mail!

Our high water table isn't helping. The gasoline is floating along on the water. They have already sucked over 1,000 gallons out and have several thousand more to do. Whoever installed those tank alarms that didn't work is in big trouble!
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15207) 11 years ago
Random thought here:

Is there any chance that the vapors/gasoline leaked into the basement area of the Arnold Block and adjacent buildings that burned and their presence exacerbated the starting of the fire?
Posted by Stacie Miller (+239) 11 years ago
Interesting thought! Hmmmmm.
Posted by Steve Allison (+977) 11 years ago
As to the gas leak having anything to do with the Arnold block fire, I don't think so. Non of the sampling they have been doing show the contamination spreading that direction. They have dug two foundations there now with no sign of smell of the gas either.
supporter
That is anidotical info. They probably were not looking for gas when the foundations were dug and probably didn't go that deep. I would like to see an EPA TCLIP or similar test for hydro-carbon based solvents conducted on the site. The gas vapor test probably wouldn't show much because the fire would have consumed all the vapor. I suspect with proper analysis you might find hydro-carbons in the soil on the fire site.

A call to the EPA Region 8 office might be in order.
founder
>>anidotical?

Anyway, the fire was 20 months ago. Do you really think the Shortstop could lose significant amounts of gasoline for 20+ months without noticing it?
supporter
Do you really think the Shortstop could lose significant amounts of gasoline for 20+ months without noticing it?

Ask the Milwaukee railroad.

anecdotal

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (11/20/2010)]
founder
Okay, Richard, let's say they do the soil test on the site of the fire and find evidence of gasoline. How are they going to establish that these soil conditions existed in March of 2009?
supporter
Using environmental forensics, the isotopes of contaminated material found on the site can be compared with a known fresh sample of gasoline to determine the state and rate of decay and establish when the soil was originally contaminated.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (11/20/2010)]
founder
Sorry, but unless you have soil samples from the time of the fire you're not going to establish anything. The contaminants in question could have migrated to that site in the 20 months that have passed since the fire.
supporter
Suit yourself, but the oil companies do age-dating of hydro-carbons all the time.

http://www.triassictechno...0study.pdf
founder
Richard, the site of the fire had fill dirt brought in and it's been excavated for construction. And, while fighting the fire how may gallons of water were poured onto the site? I doubt that you'll find anyone interested in spending any money testing the soil of that site for purposes of investigating that fire. Particularly so if there was any truth to the story that the building owner was actively engaged in welding in the basement of the building at the time the fire started.
supporter
Insurance companies might be interested.

Welding in a semi-oxygen deprived environment never made complete sense to me as to how a fire could get that big so fast. The addition of gasoline vapor makes it more believable.
founder
By all means, take it up with the insurance company(ies) that paid the claims on the fire and see how far it goes.
Posted by Steve Allison (+977) 11 years ago
I was not just talking about the foundation work. One of the first things they did to evaluate the damage was send a sampling drill truck around to see how far it had spread. The samples said it was not spreading east, which makes sense because the gas is floating on the water table which is flowing towards the Tongue and Yellowstone Rivers. Just a bit of promo here, this was all covered in the Star complete with front page photos of the sampling truck at work. And before you all start complaining about the web site and how we should give everything away for free until we co out of business, The stories Were on the web site.
Posted by Toni Rentschler (+1513) 11 years ago
Anyone have any updates?