Visiting Pine Hills
Posted by Kathleen Ely (+4) 18 years ago
My seventeen year old son is currently in the Pine Hills Youth Detention Center. I come to Miles City once a month to visit him (my mother comes twice a week from Buffalo, Wyoming). When we visit we usually just get two hours to see him and then have another whole day before we can see him again.

I've done a number of things when visiting: enjoyed the wonderful books at Miles City Books, gone to church at Emmanuel Episcopal Church, walked through Pirogue Park in the spring (and met many local ticks!), camped out at Twelve Mile Dam, toured the cemetaries, and visited the Range Rider Museum, which is truly a treasure trove.

I haven't yet gone to the library, movie theater, or the Art Center, but those are on my list of things to do in Miles City. Are there other suggestions people might have for us visiting under trying circumstances? Inexpensive places to stay? Good places to eat? Generally I don't have a lot of money to spend but I like to walk.

Are there other resources available to Pine Hills parents in Miles City? I understand there is an organization called Tekawitha but I haven't been able to make contact with them. Less than 10% of the inmates at Pine Hills get visitors, I know, so that's only a dozen or so of us who need this information but I'd appreciate any advice.

Kathleen Ely
http://www.kathleenely.com
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1512) 18 years ago
With your interest in history (I'm subscribed to Hal's Yahoo list too..) I'm sure that you'd enjoy a stop by Amorette's office at the Preservation Commission. She knows her stuff and is a veritable fount of Miles City historic info.

I finally got to use "veritable" and "fount" in a sentence! Even if I maybe mispelled them!

Hah!

Anyhow, back to things to do and see.

Joe Whalen's book store is next door to Amorette's office. He's got a great selection of Montana books and news.

You mentioned that already..

One of the old cabins at Hathaway was owned and occupied by Calamity Jane. I dunno which one, though I understand that the current owners aren't averse to showing folks around the place.

Wayyyyyy across the valley from Hathaway, almost straight south, you can see a few headstones on a little table in the rise. I never have gotten the story of who they are, but I understand that they were already there when the NP rails were laid.

Heading out over of Miles' farthest east exit, going toward Baker there's a park in the Pine Hills called Woodruff Park (I think anyhow) that's usually nice and cool whilst Miles is scorching hot.

12 Mile Dam (on the way to Broadus, 12 miles out of Miles) is a real nice picnic and fishing park now. Used to be a nice waterslide too before the powers that be poured a big concrete wall blocking access..

You mentioned that already too..I'm getting old

There's another real nice park just before you get to the Kinsey Bridge (take a left off the old highway to Terry, well marked)

You could take a drive that way, go over the Kinsey Bridge (Milwaukee Road main line) and if you stay on the main roads (they're all gravel) you'll be on the Milwaukee's grade and will cross Custer Creek where the big washout and Olympian wreck was, and then cross over Calypso bridge and on into Terry. (It's been more than 15 years since I took the entire road, not positive that it still goes all the way through.)

The Kinsey Bridge is in the neighborhood of the Buffalo Rapids, where the steamboat (Amorette, help with the name?) was grounded and broke up and was salvaged for the timbers which went into some of the local buildings. Great area for hunting agates and petrified wood.

I'll probaly think of more once I cool down from work a bit.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave Roberts (edited 7/22/2003).]
founder
Posted by JEANNE M BOLE (+39) 18 years ago
HI DAVE,
WHAT IS HALS YAHOO LIST AND HOW DO I SUBSCRIBE?
THANKS,
JEANNE BOLE
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1512) 18 years ago
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Montana_History/

Managed by Hal Neumann, a Miles City native.
founder
Posted by JEANNE M BOLE (+39) 18 years ago
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION. I APOLIGIZE FOR
THE CAPS BUT I AM SO SLOW AT TYPING.
THANKS AGAIN
Dave,

Those are terrific ideas. I'll make sure I take a printout for my next visit. Those are just the kind of ideas I'm looking for. One of the nice things about visiting Miles City is getting a better understanding of eastern Montana's history.

My own great-great-grandparents originally homesteaded just at the base of Devil's Tower so that plains country seems *genetically* familiar to me. Jonathan Raban's *Bad Land: An American Romance* is one very good book about what homesteading was like in eastern Montana.

Kathleen
founder
Posted by Roni (Sotka) Adams (+10) 18 years ago
When I come to Miles City (which I will be again in a couple of weeks) I always have to eat out at the Airport Inn...GREAT finger steaks and pizza (up on Airport Hill). Also am partial to the Stage Coach for a place to eat (over by Walmart)
Posted by J.M. Fosland (+7) 18 years ago
Haven't eaten at the 600 for a number of years but it used to have great "home cooking"-large portions, wonderful gravy, real mashed potatoes etc.and the price was right. The pies were some of the best I've ever had. NOT for those watching their waist line, cholosteral level etc.

Check it out.

G. North
Now the 600 Cafe is something I have discovered, as I'm a morning person and they're open when I wake up. They probably have some of the greatest sausage in the world. Also, it's a REAL cowboy cafe, not drugstore cowboys, talking about the work ahead for the day. The newspapers are there to read, too, while you're eating.

Usually I like food that is a little more wholesome than what they offer but some food is just too good to miss.

My son is a vegan so I usually bring food to supplement his diet at Pine Hills, as does my mother when she visits. So I usually end up eating the things he doesn't eat since I can't leave it there for him.

Kathleen