-5.1 DEGREES
Posted by Morhead (+116) 16 years ago
MC RESIDENCE:

I just noticed that at 5:07PM it is -5.1 outside. I have never been in weather under 30. Degrees!!!!!What is the coldest MC has gotten, and what did they do in the old days when it would get that cold. I am blown away by the temperatures you all have to deal with......
Posted by Duncan Bonine (+283) 16 years ago
I don't know if it's still the record low:
January 13, 1888 it hit -65.
Posted by Cheryl Thompson (+61) 16 years ago
OH MY!!!!!!!!!!I understand the low tonight is supposed to be -22, How in 1888 did people survive?
Posted by SueBo9Henderson (+19) 16 years ago
UP IN NORTH CENTRAL MT, BACK IN 1936 THE TEMP. WAS-52 BELOW. TODAY OUR HIGH WAS -12 BELOW. NOTE THAT THERE IS ALWAYS A NORTH STRONG WIND.SO WITH THE WIND CHILL IT UM UM BURR!! JUST WEAR YOUR LONGJOHNS, WOOL SOCKS, AND INSOLATED COVERALLS. AND LAST OF ALL PRAY FOR A TROPICAL HEAT WAVE!!!!
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2103) 16 years ago
Minus 17 here in Minot at 10:15 CT with whindchill at -39
It could get a low as -25 below with windchill -50+
Brrrrrr!!!!!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11978) 16 years ago
Never been in weather under 30 degrees? Wowsa. I've spent half my life under 30 degrees and a good portion well below zero. Five below is nothing. Put on an extra sweater. Talk to me at thirty below plus wind. Been there, done that, have the tee shirt.

Amorette
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15082) 16 years ago
I remember coming into town from the Pine Hills in November of 1964 and we got stranded about a 1/2 mile from the pavement. I think the wind chill was in the -80 range. For all the times in my life I have been cold I still remember that as the coldest I have ever been.

At 10:05pm here in Gillette it is -10, with the wind it is -23. I sure hope the "mighty" Isuzu Trooper starts in the morning

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (edited 2/16/2006).]
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4455) 16 years ago
I know, how did you find your way to milescity.com without experiencing temperatures below 30?
supporter
I know, how did you find your way to milescity.com without experiencing temperatures below 30?
Posted by Morhead (+116) 16 years ago
Buck;

I Live in Arizona, I was researching the History and was so blown away with the Miles City Forums I just had to take part. I hop to visit this summer, and by thin maybe i can meat a few of you at the local bar and buy the first fewwwww rounds.

MORHEAD
supporter
Bring your gold cards and come for the Bucking Horse Sale. You'll have a good time.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10040) 16 years ago
I don't if was official or not, but one morning in the middle of February of 1985 KATL reported that it was minus 43. There was a heavy wind blowing that morning too. I had to drive from Miles to Helena - when I got there, it was a balmy -20 in Helena.

Richard, I remember that winter of 64-65, that was a good old-fashioned Montana winter. We lived on Haynes Avenue then, out by the State School. At one point that winter, bighorn sheep from Powder River county drifted into town and were grazing on the "campus" at Pine Hills. I remember stories in the Star about the livestock losses that year - as I recall, it hit some of the sheep outfits especially hard.

[This message has been edited by Hal Neumann (edited 2/17/2006).]
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15082) 16 years ago
Apprently, it is so cold in MC this morning that the thermometer is working:

"ADODB.Field error '800a0bcd'

Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current record.

/weather/Default.asp, line 163"

Posted by steve Larson (+26) 16 years ago
A balmy -20 here in West Yellowstone
Posted by Peggy (+22) 16 years ago
Woh hoo... -10 degrees with a -31 degree wind chill. Almost balmy!
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1291) 16 years ago
I moved back to Miles City in the winter of 78-79 (I think) and we went 30 some days with out getting about zero in January and Febuary.
Posted by Gary Bonine (+91) 16 years ago
last night it hit almost 38 degrees here.

the texans are freezing! the texans are freezing!
Posted by Scot (+51) 16 years ago
I don't know about 1888, but I looked on the weather.com page and it says the record low for Miles City is, -38 (December) and record high was 110 (August). It did not say what year.
I would swear we have been colder.
Posted by Peggy (+22) 16 years ago
The highest temperature recorded in Montana is 117°, Fahrenheit. This record high was recorded at Glendive on July 20, 1893, and at Medicine Lake on July 5, 1937.

The lowest temperature in Montana, -70°, was recorded on January 20, 1954 at Rogers Pass.

http://www.netstate.com/s...graphy.htm