Cowboys vs. Laurel
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6116) 11 years ago
Here's Slim Kimmel's take (from the Billings Gazette's "What I'll be Watching" section): http://billingsgazette.co...03286.html

Kimmel rightly acknowledges that the Cowboys are bigger than the Locomotives but states that Laurel is more aggressive. Not that Miles City should need additional motivation for this game, but I would hope that the Cowboys take special pride in proving him (and the Locomotives) wrong.

I would be shocked if the Cowboys give up 327 rushing yards to the Locomotives again (as they did last season) and I would be equally surprised if Laurel beats Miles City at Denton Field (which would be a first, I believe).

I am glad that the game is at home, but I think the Cowboys should win by a couple of scores if they play their game (run hard, hit hard, continue to avoid turnovers). My prediction: 20-7 Cowboys.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (10/22/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1791) 11 years ago
What...no stats, Brian?...then I'll give a couple.

I was just looking at the scores for both teams coming-in and there are some erie similarites. Overall records are the main difference, though. Miles City comes-in 7-1 (IF you count the storm-shortened Powell game, which I do) wheras Laurel has a 5-3 record. It seems both teams are run-first and pretty solid on defense as both teams come in with 2 shutouts. However, Miles City appears to have the stronger defense as the Cowboys have allowed their opponents to score only 27 points. Laurel has allowed 98. The teams have also beaten their common conference opponents by nearly identical margins; the Cowboys beat Hardin 48-0, Laurel beat them 54-8. Cowboys beat Sidney 41-7 and Laurel beat them 41-0. Cowboys beat the lowly Red Devils 55-6, Laurel beat them 49-8. Laurel played a stronger game against Billings Central, though, losing to the Rams 23-22 while the Cowboys were blanked 14-0...I also note, though, that when you look at out-of conference scores Miles City has done better, having dominated both Belgrade and Havre (BOTH playoff qualifiers in that division) while Laurel lost to both Butte Central and Dillon (both qualifiers, too). It should be a good game, and I think it comes at the right time for both teams as it will provide a solid tune-up for both as they head into the playoffs.

I think the Billings Central game was a big wake-up call for the Cowboys and the home field advantage will be the difference, as well. Miles City by 10, at least.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1593) 11 years ago
I hope that you are right.

A side note to this game. This years senior class of Cowboys have never beaten this years senior class from Laurel. Not even in 7th grade-not in any sport. I hope that this changes tonight.

Cowboys-14
Locos-0
Posted by Brian Hubbell (+124) 11 years ago
Stone, thats a good fact to know. It brings back bad memories for me too. My class never beat Glendives senior class either. it was always a last minute play that we would lose on it seemed. That damn Tom Ziegler. We were up by like 20 at half and lost on a last minute pass senior year, but we got the last laugh.
Stone - What about when they were sophomores? There were sophomores playing on varsity in 2008 (Cooley comes to mind) when the Cowboys won, 13-0.

As far as stats go, here's one that I touched on a little bit in my first post: since Miles City and Laurel started playing each other every season (1980), the Cowboys have never lost to the Locomotives at Denton Field. Miles City's three losses to Laurel since then (1999, 2007, 2009) were all on the road.

Four random team records set against Laurel:

1.) 1990 - Kelly Strobel rushed for 213 yards and five touchdowns, adding another on an interception return for a total of six scores in a 50-26 win.

2.) 1994 - Bryan Larson passed for a team record 268 yards (on 6-of-7 passing), including ...

3.) ... a 99-yard completion to Ryan Wagner (set up by the left side of the Cowboys' offensive line - #76 and #66 - clearing out a perfect passing lane for Larson) in a 41-0 victory.

4.) 2000 - Justin Venn matched Strobel's single-game touchdown record (and set one for rushing touchdowns) by running for six in a 45-18 revenge game. Bob "I positively reek of class" Connors had run up the score in a 62-0 Laurel win the year before, making the 2000 game extra sweet.

And there you go.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (10/22/2010)]
And not to make you guys feel bad, but MY senior class beat Glendive 54-18. Just saying.
Posted by Brian Hubbell (+124) 11 years ago
Yeah Brian but I am in no way ever gonna compare my class to yours. That team was ridiculous. The class ahead mine beat Glendive too but they made for some classic match-ups. Both of the teams in 95 and 96 for Glendive were pretty close to the talent we had, but our coaching staff was second to none.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9389) 11 years ago
1.) 1990 - Kelly Strobel rushed for 213 yards and five touchdowns, adding another on an interception return for a total of six scores in a 50-26 win.

That was the first varsity game I got to play in as a Cowboy. All I really remember was Laurel's nose tackle was, to my 150lb perspective, procreating huge.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2313) 11 years ago
Don't forget you can tune into the game on your computer at http://kyuskmta.com/live.html or get score updates live on http://facebook.com/923fm if you cannot listen in.
Posted by Herbie (+111) 11 years ago
Who is the guy doing the dweeb doing the play by play on kyus,,,,,,they suck
I remember when CW Wilcox did all the local play by by play......what happen....local radio just sucks since Marks took over.......
Classy, Herbie. Classy.

At least the new guy doesn't give you descriptions of what his buddies' wives are wearing to the game. Mike might not get everything correct the first time, but at least he pays attention to the game being played rather than yammering on jeebus knows what.
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+892) 11 years ago
Cowboys win! 14 - 7
Congratulations on your victory, Cowboys!

Here are the playoff matchups for next weekend:

Billings Central (8-0, 5-0 Eastern 'A') - Bye
Dillon (8-0, 5-0 Southwestern 'A') - Bye
Butte Central (8-1, 5-0 Central 'A') - Bye
Columbia Falls (4-4, 3-1 Northwestern 'A') - Bye

Havre (5-3, 3-2, 3C) at Miles City (8-1, 4-1, 2E) (MC d. Havre 34-14 earlier this season). Winner travels to Columbia Falls.

Laurel (5-4, 3-2, 3E) at Belgrade (7-2, 4-1, 2C). Winner travels to Dillon.

Polson (5-4, 3-2, 3NW) at Frenchtown (5-4, 4-1, 2SW). (Polson d. Frenchtown 21-16 in the season-opener for both teams). Winner travels to Butte Central.

Stevensville (6-3, 3-2, 3SW) at Libby (5-4, 3-1, 2NW). Winner travels to Billings Central.

Clearly, the Cowboys put themselves in a much better position by winning on Friday than Laurel did by losing. Miles City has a home game rematch against a team it beat handily on the road and will face the weakest of the four division winners (although CF does have one of the best running backs in the state) with a victory. If the Cowboys advance to the semifinals, the game would be at home, as would a championship game (unless it's against Billings Central).

Laurel, on the other hand, has to beat a very tough Belgrade team to earn the right to face undefeated Dillon. I do not envy the Locomotives. Unless they win out, they will be on the road for the entire playoffs (unless they face BC in the chipper).

It's still far too early to make any plans, but the possibility exists for a MC-Dillon showdown in the semifinals. At Denton Field.

First thing first, of course. Good luck against Havre, Cowboys!
Posted by Josh Rath (+2313) 11 years ago
Herbie: Rob Pierson and Ben Hill normally do the Play-By-Play, but ben was out of town tonight. Everyone was out of their groove. It happens. Also, CW cannot do the Play-By-Play... Incase you haven't heard, he had something similar to a stroke the end of 2009 and is done for good.

Brian - Mike is on KATL

Overall the game tonight was good. If you prefer to not listen to the sportscasters, follow along on facebook.
When he said "Marks" I thought he meant "Mike." My bad, Josh. I humbly prostrate myself at your feet and beg for your forgiveness.

Truly, your rolled eyes rip wounds in me that may never heal. Why must you hurt me so? I've only ever wanted your approval, Josh.

But thank you for reminding me why I shouldn't listen to your station, O Master of the Airwaves.
God your good Brian!
Herbie - I know. I'm procreating brilliant.