Miles City Soup Kitchen
Posted by gypsykim (+1561) 11 years ago
The Custer County Community Table is a shared ministry effort by community volunteers in the Miles City, MT area.

Our mission is simple: to provide healthy and appetizing meals to all in this community who come to us in need--to the poor, the hungry and the lonely. Our goal is to provide meals to those who are in need without reference to age, race, sex or religious affiliation.

In fulfilling this mission we are constantly reminded that when we show mercy to the least of God's children, we show mercy to Jesus Christ Himself.

We don't serve meals...we serve Jesus.

The Custer County Community Table provides meals at no cost; but also provides a place of hospitality and companionship for those in need, regardless of their faith. It is sustained by compassionate and committed volunteers and by the generous contributions of donors.

The Custer County Community Table is a center for ministry to our guests, to our volunteers and to the greater community. Our work is work of justice as we strive to recognize the worth and value of each individual. It is just one of the ways we respond to God's generosity to us.

We are hoping to open our doors soon and could use your help. Please donate. Miles City Soup Kitchen, P.O. Box 93, Miles City, MT 59301. All donations are tax deductible.
Posted by Kacey (+3153) 11 years ago
Where is your soup kitchen located? What will your hours be? Will you be requiring any kind of proof of need? Will you be needing volunteers?

Just a few question you might want to answer for those who might consider donating.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15076) 11 years ago
Will there be BINGO?
The Miles City Soup Kitchen will be in the old Cantina at the VA Hospital. Initially, we will serve from 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday. We hope to open on October 26. There will be no proof of need. ALL are welcome. We will continue to need volunteers, so if you are interested, please respond here!

Thanks for the great questions!

No Bingo--sorry, Richard!
Posted by Stacie Miller (+248) 11 years ago
I would love to get my kids involved in something like this. Would that be a possibility?

Stacie Miller
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1664) 11 years ago
I would also like to involve my children (and my husband and I) in this effort, if possible.
At this time, you must be over the age of 18 to volunteer in the Soup Kitchen. If your children are part of 4-H or church youth groups, we are encouraging them to help by raising awareness and funds.

We appreciate your interest!!
Posted by Lisa McRae (+44) 11 years ago
In the summer you should try to get a community garden going, where volunteers can raise food for the soup kitchen. When I lived and worked in Kansas City, the company I worked for had a community garden. We would raise over a TON of food to be given to the soup kitchen every season. We had volunteers from all parts of the company. Maybe you could get some businesses involved and people could volunteer on their lunch hour once a week to help tend the garden. If you get enough people, they would only have to volunteer, say, an hour a month. Our department had two people go at a time. Anyway, just a suggestion. Thanks.
Posted by Stacie Miller (+248) 11 years ago
Great idea! That would be wonderful!
Posted by DStone (+146) 11 years ago
I see you use two names? Which name would someone donate to as donating under the wrong name will cause tax issues for both your organization and the person donating.
You can make your check to the Miles City Soup Kitchen or the Custer County Community Table. We are registered in our 501c3 as Custer County Community Table (Miles City Soup Kithcen), so either will work.

Thanks for your generosity!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11898) 11 years ago
Sacred Heart parish had a very successful garden this year and donated a huge amount of produce to the food bank.
supporter
Posted by Lynne (+131) 11 years ago
This is the second year that Sacred Heart has donated very generously to the Food Bank through their community garden. There is also a group of people who are trying to start another community garden, I do not know where they are on this project.
A great big thank for the checks in our mailbox this morning!! Your generosity is greatly appreciated.
Posted by James Lynch (+200) 11 years ago
The 501 c (3) for the soup litchen is listed under the "Custer County Community Table" with the IRS and makes no reference to the "Miles City Soup Kitchen"

I personally wrote and filed the application and it was approved as of Feb. 2010.

The proper donation for federal tax purposes should be made to CCCT (Custer County Community table).

Although the articles of incorporation filed with MT is subtitled Miles City Soup Kitchen that phrase does not appear on the Federal Documentation.

Just to be sure your getting the right info.

Have a great day, Jim
The Miles City Soup Kitchen is officially open due to the generosity of many Miles Citians! Time, labor, money and food have been generously given.

We are currently serving Tuesdays and Thursdays in the VA Hospital in Room 111 from 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. I invite everyone to stop by and have a bowl of soup with us. We are serving the hungry, the lonely and the curious.

Tuesday, November 16 will be Chicken Noodle Soup and Thursday, November 18 we will be serving Tomato Rice Soup.

All are welcome!
supporter
Posted by Bill Tramp (+332) 11 years ago
I have some fresh frozen highland beef soup bones. If interested,when/where do you want them?
Bill, we can take them if they have been commercially processed. Just e-mail the Miles City Soup Kitchen at [email protected] and we'll make arrangements to get them from you. Thanks so much for thinking of us!!
Perfect day for soup! Serving Tomato Rice Soup at the Miles City Soup Kitchen today. Room 111 in the VA Hospital. All are welcome! Come and check us out.
The weather outside is frightful; but the Robust Beef Soup tomorrow will be delightful! Please join us at the Miles City Soup Kitchen from 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. for delicious soup and good company. All are welcome!
The Miles City Soup Kitchen will be closed on Thanksgiving Day. We wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving as we count our many blessings!

We will reopen Tuesday with a pot of Creamy Potato Soup, made with fresh potatoes from Jim Dighans garden! Please join us from 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. All are welcome!
supporter
Our mission is simple: to provide healthy and appetizing meals to all in this community who come to us in need--to the poor, the hungry and the lonely. Our goal is to provide meals to those who are in need without reference to age, race, sex or religious affiliation.

In fulfilling this mission we are constantly reminded that when we show mercy to the least of God's children, we show mercy to Jesus Christ Himself.

The Miles City Soup Kitchen will be closed on Thanksgiving Day. We wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving as we count our many blessings!

Sooo... where are the needy supposed to go?
Richard, we will serve a Thanksgiving meal next year. At this time we are simply understaffed (all vounteer). We will be having a "Christmas dinner" on Thursday, December 23.

I hope we will be forgiven for not being able to serve a Thanksgiving day meal. We have only been open two and a half weeks and are really doing the best we can. We have been blessed with volunteers, groceries and supplies!
supporter
I understand.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3708) 11 years ago
FYI the food bank prepared and distributed full thanksgiving baskets to all that signed up including the bird and all the fixins.

The soup kitchen and food bank are doing all within our power and budget to provide all we can to those in need. Please support the soup kitchen as well as the food bank as both rely on volunteer help and donations.

Happy thanksgiving to all.
We continue to be grateful...for the checks that arrived in the mail this week, for the box of groceries we received, for the potatoes. Miles City never fails to take care of its own.

We will be open on Tuesday serving a Creamy Potato Soup. Please join us. All are welcome--the hungry, the lonely, the curious!
Posted by Lisa McRae (+44) 11 years ago
My husband and I would like to volunteer at the soup kitchen. Is there a phone number we can call so we can sign up or do we just show up on Tuesday and Thursday? Thanks.
Lisa, thank you so much for offering to volunteer. Please call me at 853-5923 and we'll get you on the schedule!
Tuesday, November 30, Creamy Potato Soup is on the menu from 11:00-1:00 p.m. Serving the hungry, the lonely and the curious. All are welcome!
The Miles City Soup Kitchen will be serving soups in front of the Miles City Star for the Christmas Stroll. A free will offering will be accepted. All proceeds will benefit the Miles City Soup Kitchen.

Thank you again for the donations that continue to arrive in our mail box and for our kitchen! Your generosity is so wonderful!

See you at the Christmas Stroll!
Sorry for the late notice--chili is on the menu for today. We will be serving until 1:00 p.m. We are in the VA Hospital, Room 111. Please join us!
Posted by Carol Bean (+259) 11 years ago
Hi Kim,
Could you use a Christmas tree at the building? I have one I would like to donate.
Carol, we have a 4-h group coming to decorate next week. Let me check with them and see what they have in mind. If they don't have a tree, we would love to have it! I'll give you a call.
Just a reminder--we will be serving soup in front of the Miles City Star during the Christmas Stroll this evening for a free will donation. Dress warmly and warm up your insides with soup while warming the tummies of those who need it!
Thank you to those who braved the cold and came to support us at the Christmas Stroll last night. The soup and bread was delicious--and gone by 7:30. We are again humbled by your generosity!

Beef Barley Soup is on the menu for Tuesday from 11:00-1:00. We are located in the VA Hospital, room 111.

Our e-mail address is [email protected] Our mailing address is P.O. Box 93, Miles City, MT, 59301.
We'll be back in the kitchen on Tuesday with Beef Barley Soup! It looks like we are going to have "soup weather" for some time. Please join us--all are welcome!
A big thank-you to Carol and her family for the generous donation of the Christmas tree. The Rough Riders 4-H group will be in on Wednesday to decorate and make our 'home-away-from-home' festive and beautiful for the holidays!
Thanks to your generosity we have been serving between 35 and 50 patrons each Tuesday and Thursday. Your donations of time, groceries, supplies and money have been making a difference in the lives of others. Our greatest grocery needs at this time are for chicken, beef and canned stock or bouillon. Thank you again for helping the Miles City Soup Kitchen help others!
Our dining room looks so festive after the great decorating job by the Rough Riders 4-H Club. They brought the Christmas spirit to the Miles City Soup Kitchen. I'm sure our patrons will enjoy!

We served them cookies and hot chocolate to say thank-you. We can accept donations of homemade cookies. We share them with folks who stop by to check out the soup kitchen.

Thanks again to the Rough Riders 4-H group! You did a great job!
Posted by James Gallagher (+25) 11 years ago
Hello

I'm intrigued, I would like hearing from you in a penfriend relationship. Hope to here more, James in Chile
supporter
No soup for you...you're in the chile
Hello
we don't need soup this time of the year. but a friendly letter is always welcome. James
Scott and Mary cleaned and sanitized our last stainless steel table this morning. A huge thank you to RZ Welding for refashioning the top for us to make it usable. And to Tom for refinishing the cutting board on it.

Tanis and Kim finished up the painting this morning as well. Our "home" just keeps getting "homier"!

Special thanks to Bill and family and Karalee and family for the donation of the beef. It will be put to good use in the upcoming days!

We are looking for a coat-tree for our volunteers coats if anyone has one around that you don't use anymore.

Beef, chicken, broth, celery, carrots and onions top our grocery needs. And we can always use homemade cookies and bars.

Thanks to everyone who has made donations of time, money, groceries and supplies. We couldn't do it without you!!

Miles City Soup Kitchen
P.O. Box 93
VA Hospital Room 111
Miles City, MT 59301
Tortilla Soup is on the menu for Tuesday. It will be served with bread and fruit. Feeding the hungry, the lonely and the poor. All are welcome! Please join us!
Hello
What is the recipe for tortilla soup? I think your ideal would fit great here in Santiago Chile. Anybody there willing to come here for a visit? especially this time of year. Hope to hear, James in Chile
James, I'll see if I can get the recipe for the Tortilla Soup from today's volunteer chef. I'm sure you could google it and get something close. If I can get it I will post it. Thanks for asking!
Thursday's soup is Italian Vegetable. Please join us. All are welcome!!
supporter
Posted by Lynne (+131) 11 years ago
The Tortilla soup on Tuesday was excellent, actually all of them have been!
Glad you enjoyed it, Lynne. We've been getting lots of compliments on the soups we are serving. Tomorrow is Italian Vegetable.
On Tuesday, Mrs. Gruba's fifth grade class will be bringing donations they have collected from Lincoln School. Watch for them pulling it down Pearl Street on sleds on Tuesday morning! We will be serving them cookies, milk and hot chocolate as a thank-you!
The Miles City Soup Kitchen will be serving a "Christmas Dinner" on Thursday. Turkey and all the trimmings! Please join us.
Lincoln Elementary School surpassed their goal of 250 items by more than 100 items!! Way to go and thank you so much for your donations. They will help us feed the hungry for some time.

I understand Tucker did a great job of thanking the kids for their efforts. We appreciate that!
supporter
Posted by Cindy (+392) 11 years ago
We would like to donate items to the soup kitchen and would like to know if you have a "want" list or "need" list in terms of food items or other things.

Thanks!
Thanks for your interest, Cindy. Our greatest needs for food items are for broth, beef, chicken, carrots, celery and onions.

We are looking for a Kitchen-Aid mixer (or other heavy-duty, free-standing mixer) and a food processor.

We can always use aluminum foil, plastic bags of all sizes, plastic wrap and wax paper.

We can accept donations of homemade cookies or bars as long as they don't need to be refrigerated.

There is usually someone at the Soup Kitchen from 9:00 am until 2:00 on Tuedays and Thursdays. If you need to make other arrangements, please let me know.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1800) 11 years ago
gypsykim,

I just wanted to say I think it's very admirable that you and your group have the soup kitchen going and it seems to be experiencing success from the postings here. You are good and kind people and you deserve a lot of credit for your hard work and good deeds.

Thank you and God bless.
Thank you, Shu! Many people are volunteering and donating to help feed the hungry in Miles City. We are very blessed!

Tuesday's soup will be Turkey Noodle. Serving from 11:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. in room 111 in the VA Hospital. All are welcome! Please join us!
Thank you to Town Pump and the Town Pump Charitable Foundation for their generous donations! It is nice to know that we will be able to continue serving those in need. We hope to soon be adding a third day during the week to serve soup. We will keep you posted.

Many thanks, too, for the other generous donors who have answered our call. We are blessed!
Tomorrow's soup is Beef Noodle. I think! Don't quote me on this one.

Happy New Year!
Happy New Year everyone! May your homes be warm and your tummies full.
We continue to be humbled and blessed! This community has truly taken ownership of the Miles City Soup Kitchen! Thank you so much for the generous donation of funds and food that came in at the end of the year.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3708) 11 years ago
You don't need be indigent to eat at the Kitchen. It is a great way to support this great community effort. Glenna and I eat on Tuesdays when we volunteer at the Food Bank. There is a free will donation jar. The money goes towards those less fortunate.

Yesterdays menu consisted of red potato soup, veggie beef soup, home made applesauce, green salad, desserts, coffee, tea or milk. It was all good.
Tucker is correct--all are welcome!

Today's menu is Creamy Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. We ussually have a fruit and/or cookie of some kind as well.

Please join us!!
It's supposed to be really cold next week! Soup will be delicious! Please join us on Tuesday and Thursday from 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m.
A hearty thank you for the generous donations we have been receiving. We are so blessed!

Our current needs are for a heavy-duty food processor and/or a Kitchen-Aid or similar type mixer. We have quite a bit of beef in the freezer (thank you!) and could currently use chicken, whole or in pieces.
Tuesday we will be serving Sunday Supper Soup. I know it's Tuesday, but I think you will be pleased!! Please join us from 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. in the VA Hospital, room 111.

All are welcome! Serving the hungry, the lonely and the curious!
Thank you for the donations of cookies that continue to come in! Our vets, volunteers and patrons love having a cookie!

We look forward to the Methodist Church Youth Group coming tomorrow evening to bake cookies to fill our freezer!
We had a great time with the Methodist Church High School Youth Group baking cookies last night! They made peanut butter, chocolate chip and oatmeal to put in the freezer. What a great gift to the Miles City Soup Kitchen!

Today's soup is Hearty Ground Beef and Vegetable. Please join us!

We will add Wednesday's to our schedule beginning February 2. We may need more volunteers. Please let me know if you are interested in volunteering!

Check out our Facebook page as well!
Due to the generosity of Miles City we will be adding a serving day beginning February 1. Please join us on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. for delicious homemade soup, bread, fruit or salad and delicious homemade cookies!!

In conjunction with adding Wednesdays, we are offering a beautiful handmade pottery bowl with every donation of $50 or more. Some of the bowls are locally made and on display in the Miles City Soup Kitchen. While supplies last.

Thank you again for the generous donations of time, money, groceries and cookies. Our mailing address is Miles City Soup Kitchen, P.O. Box 93, Miles City, MT 59301. We are located in the VA Hospital, room 111.

As of Thursday, January 20, we have served 548 people since we opened in November.
On the menu for Tuesday, January 25, is a classic--Savory Split Pea and Ham Soup. Please join us from 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. We are located in the VA Hospital, room 111. All are welcome!
Tomorrow (Thursday) we will be serving Sloppy Joes!

Reminder that next week we will begin serving on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. All are welcome!
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6170) 11 years ago
Sloppy Joes isn't soup! What the heck's going on?!?!
Wendy, we are trying to add a little variety once or twice a month. It makes good use of the generous donation of ground beef we had!

We are busy gearing up for our three days of service next week. We will begin serving Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. All are welcome!!

Thank you again to those who continue to give so generously. We and our patrons are truly blessed!
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1664) 11 years ago
Fabulous idea!
supporter
I think you do a wonderful service for the community, gypsykim.
Wendy, it's not me!! I work full-time so I'm just trying to do a little marketing and PR. We have a great staff of volunteers who work very hard to feed the hungry and lonely. Noone is paid, so we have a volunteer who makes sure the schedule gets filled each month. We have also been utilizing volunteers from the RSVP program.

We also couldn't do it without our generous donors--food, supplies, equipment and cash are helping us get a meal on the table three days a week. We want to serve nutritious meals so we try to include fruit or a salad each day, milk or yogurt when we have it available and a cookie for dessert.

Our soup menu is usually determined by what meat is in the freezer and we had a generous donation of most of a beef this fall, so we are serving a lot of soups with beef in them.
Here is a list of our current needs. We thank those who have responded so generously!! If you need more information, please call Kim at 853-5923.

--Food Prep Items
Electric Griddle
Heavy Duty Mixer
"Custom" Spice Rack

--Food Items
Chicken Broth
Beef Broth
Chicken (whole or boneless)
Canned Beans (black, white, pinto and kidney)
Canned Tomatoes (cut up)
Spaghetti Sauce (large cans or jars)
Ranch Salad Dressing

--Smaller Quantity Weekly Items
Whole carrots
Celery
1 Gallon Milk
Sliced American Cheese
Onions
Homemade cookies
Sugar Free cookies
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Spreadable Margarine

--Miscellaneous Items
Postage Stamps
Metal serving bowls, (please call for sizes)
Whisks (please call for sizes)
Cleaning supplies-bleach, dish soap
Peg Board (Please Call for size)
White Board (please call for size)

Please call about any donation questions and for specifics on appliances or miscellaneous items.

Someone is generally in the kitchen from 9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. We are also happy to pick up any donations!
Our first Wednesday soup will be a thick and hearty chili! Please join us, tomorrow, February 2 in room 111 at the VA Hospital. All are welcome!
On the menu for Thursday is Italian Soup. I'm guessing that for you garlic bread lovers this would be a great day to join us for soup! Fruit or salad and cookies for dessert!
Posted by Sharlene (+1204) 11 years ago
My daughter and I went yesterday and had the Italian soup and it was excellent. I met some great people and had great conversation. Looking forward to it again.
A huge thank you to Kim and family for the donation of the Kitchen-Aid food processor! Our volunteers will be so happy to not have to chop onions any more!

And thank you to Geri for the donation of the eight dozen cookies! Our volunteers and patrons will be very happy!

We are so blessed! Thank you to everyone for the checks that continue to arrive.
A reminder about our February fundraiser: you may select from the beautiful handmade pottery bowls and mugs with any $50 donation. They are on display in the soup kitchen. Stop by and check them out!

Our mailing address is: P.O. Box 1361, Miles City, MT 59301.
supporter
gypsy,

Whom do we make the check out to?

[This message has been edited by Wendy Wilson (2/6/2011)]
Checks can be made payable to Custer County Community Table or Miles City Soup Kitchen. Our mailing address is P.O. Box 93, Miles City, MT 59301. Thanks for considering us in your donations!

Tuesday's soup is Savory Chicken Noodle. Another classic! Remember all soups are made fresh daily, from scratch! Please join us. All are welcome.
Just a reminder that we are now serving on Wednesdays! On the menu tomorrow is Ravioli Soup. Please join us. All are welcome!
supporter
I'm confused is it PO Box 93 or PO Box 1361?
Sorry, Wendy!! It's P.O. Box 93. My personal box is 1361. Either way, they will get it!
We're serving Sunday Supper Soup on Thursday. This was a big hit when we served it last month. Full of delicious meatballs! Please join us.