Oktoberfest
Posted by Traci (+161) 11 years ago
For decades the Custer County Democratic Party has thrown an Octoberfest party.

Well-prepared brauts, german potatoes, desert, and drinks.

Great speakers and music.

$10 for adults, $5 for children

Eagles Main Floor
Saturday, October 23
Noon
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 11 years ago
Please don't serve desert. It's too gritty.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17663) 11 years ago
.....and so, Wendy descends ever deeper into the Richard abyss....

You know, there is no turning back.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15076) 11 years ago
This sounds more like a Lutheran potluck than a democratic party party.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (10/18/2010)]
I have probably made that desert/dessert spelling mistake a thousand times. I think I had to write them over and over when I was in 7th grade. I guess some things just can't be learnt.

Lutherans are certainly welcome. Betty supervises braut prep and she remains the master.

Oh! And the wonderous pie auction is worth the price of admission.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17663) 11 years ago
You people are fools if you do not attend and bid large sums of money on my mom's pies....and learn how pies are supposed to taste.

I was the very fortunate recipient of a slice of said pie weekend before last the day before the opening day of antelope season....oh my....what a pie!
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+791) 11 years ago
Thanks for the pie testimonial..I am making 4 pies and other great Miles City pie bakers are providing pies also. Alas we didn't get music lined up. We were hoping for some oom-pah-pah music. Any volunteers? You'll get free tickets to the event and/or money for your fund raisers.
supporter
Traci, please don't be embarrassed. I just couldn't help myself.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2735) 11 years ago
Rumor has it that my mom will be baking a ground cherry pie for the auction. I've also got some music lined up. Bands were too expensive, especially considering the acoustics of the room, but I think the music will be okay.
supporter
Gunnar said:
You people are fools if you do not attend and bid large sums of money on my mom's pies....and learn how pies are supposed to taste.

So what is the best kind of pie your mom makes? I still have one can of Chocolate stout and am looking to have a complete Emilsson eating experience.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (10/19/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Ingird Emilsson (+216) 11 years ago
Her absolute best is huckleberry. Worth its weight in gold since huckleberries are not easy to come by. Apple, pumpkin, and lemon meringue are delicious also. She has never made a bad pie
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1664) 11 years ago
Yum! Sounds like I had better clear the calendar for Saturday.
supporter
Kelly,

What is a ground cherry pie? I've never heard of it and I know pies.
supporter
What is a ground cherry pie? I've never heard of it and I know pies.

It's made from cherries that grow on the ground in the desert.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (10/19/2010)]
supporter
Ground cherries are little berries that grow in husks. They are relatives of the tomatillo (sp?).
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11900) 11 years ago
This was a terrible year for huckleberries, which is part of the reason the bears are breaking into people's houses to steal zucchini.
supporter
Ground cherries are little berries that grow in husks. They are relatives of the tomatillo (sp?).

So are they tart and green like a tomatillo? Where does one find them?
supporter
Posted by Lynne (+131) 11 years ago
They are also called a Cape Gooseberry, native to Central and South America seeds can be bought. They are used a lot in Canada, but I don't remember what they are called there. The taste is more "fruity" than a tomato.
supporter
Wendy:

When they are ripe, they turn a golden color and are sweet. When they are green, they contain solanine, which is toxic in large doses. They grow almost anywhere, but we grow ours in our back yard garden.
All this talk of pie is making me even more upset that I will have to miss this event for the first time in years. I may have to send a bidder on my behalf.
This a terrible year for huckleberries....
Yes I got skunked looking for them, and the great berry picker at the Helena Farmers Market wouldn't pay $50 to buy his old mother huckleberries. So I am making four apple pies and 2 pecan pies for the sale. For the "desert" we are having people bring in their favorites which will include, pumpkin pie, apple strudel, carrot cake, and a variely of bars. It's getting really close. Iordered a ton of fresh made brauts from Reynalds so I hope you come. Tickets are on sale at the door. I hope I get a chance to meet you folks face to face.
supporter
Hmmm.... this all sounds very delicious. I just might have to go north tomorrow.
The Oktoberfest was very successful. We sold ten pies for over #500. Tom Towe was a terrific speaker ande a good time was had by all. See you next year.